PDA

View Full Version : contestant on TLC channel's Next Great Baker commits suicide after losing...

dreday
01-31-2012, 09:39 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/20/next-great-baker-contesta_n_1161565.html

Sergeant Wesley Durden, 28, a contestant on TLC’s baking competition "Next Great Baker," committed suicide after production wrapped in October, according to the Jacksonville Daily News. However, TLC did not mention Durden's death until after his elimination from "Next Great Baker" on Monday night's episode.

The network delivered the news in a memorial note after the episode. TLC then released this statement: “TLC extends its deepest condolences to the family, friends, and colleagues of Sgt. Wesley Durden, who died Oct. 24. He will be warmly remembered by the cast and crew of Next Great Baker.”

Durden was a Iraq War veteran who had been deployed to Iraq twice. According to the Jacksonville Daily News, Durden was a cook with the 82nd Airborne. He is survived by his wife, his seven-year-old son and his two-year-old daughter.

"Next Great Baker" airs Mondays at 9 p.m. ET on TLC.

(article is 40 days old but posting it anyway...)

PortFin
02-01-2012, 01:35 AM
My best friend fought in Iraq and it certainly changed him. I won't go into it because its his life and his privacy but its sad and horribly tragic what war does to some of these guys. Ironically my friend works in the restaurant business as well and was a cook in the Marines. Sounds like getting eliminated could have just been the last straw for the guy on this show.

Tunaphish429
02-01-2012, 02:07 AM
Damn rip

Vaark
02-01-2012, 09:09 AM
sad.. RIP

this one tugged at my heartstrings also:

Soap opera actor Nick Santino killed himself last week after putting his pet dog to sleep, according to theNew York Post (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/doggone_shame_1a9XYW8u9ZLlqwRJTa6jrN).
The paper reports that the actor put down his beloved 5-year-old pit bull, Rocco, on Tuesday - his 47th birthday - and was found dead the next day of an apparent pill overdose.Santino, who appeared in roles on "Guiding Light" and "All My Children," reportedly left behind a suicide note in which he said he "betrayed [his] best friend.""Rocco trusted me and I failed him," he wrote, according to the Post. "He didn't deserve this."The actor reportedly put Rocco to sleep following pressure from his apartment building's condo board, which had begun enforcing strict rules about owning dogs - breeds like pit bulls were reportedly banned, and dogs could not ride in the main elevator or be left alone in apartments for more than nine hours.Although the ban didn't apply to pit bulls already in the building, the Post reports that Santino, who adopted Rocco from a shelter several years ago, received complaints and had been "harassed" by the building's management.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Personally I would have moved if it came to that, but first I'd have gone with the subtle "my dog is as important to me as your kids/grandkids are to you.. hopefully you can understand that and leave this alone."

DisturbedShifty
02-01-2012, 09:14 AM
sad.. RIP

Personally I would have moved if it came to that, but first I'd have gone with the subtle "my dog is as important to me as your kids/grandkids are to you.. hopefully you can understand that and leave this alone."
No kidding. Don't get me wrong I love animals, I have three cats and made it a point to find a place I could move to and take them. But if I have to get rid of them at some point there is no way I would kill myself over it. That includes having to put them down.

Bumpus
02-02-2012, 08:11 AM
sad.. RIP

WTF kind of retard kills his dog because the neighbors are bitching about it?!?

Nappy Roots
02-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Selfish *** people. I refuse to say rest in peace to people who dead themselves. Why should they rest in peace while their friends and family will never be able to live in peace because of their selfish act

dreday
02-02-2012, 01:20 PM
maybe two trips to iraq had more to do with it than losing out on a tv show... since he did in fact get airtime before being eliminated. just sayin'

Arsenal WV
02-02-2012, 01:58 PM
My roommate was in Iraq in 2007. Came home a completely different person. He would flip out over **** that most people would just brush off or not even think about. Always slept with a 9mm right at his bedside table. Really weird guy. War changed him a lot.

GoonBoss
02-02-2012, 11:20 PM
"It's not that serious."

It's a common phrase used in the prison system, and you'd be surprised how well it works. It's not psycotherapy but it's a mindset. It's like buzzwords.
You can't really say it to yourself and make it work but somone else can say "It's not that serious" and the pressure just steams off.

Sorry to hear about it, but......*Shrug* Catch in or catch out. I don't really care which.