PDA

View Full Version : Which TE would you like to see us Draft???

justdev7
02-01-2012, 01:50 AM
Clay and Fasano were a serviceable combination this year and obviously Clay has some ability. But Assuming you agree that we need another threat to attack the seems which TE would you like to see the Phins draft???

Thumper1016
02-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Fleener or the guy out of Clemson.

Gonzo
02-01-2012, 02:21 AM
Clay and Fasano were a serviceable combination this year and obviously Clay has some ability. But Assuming you agree that we need another threat to attack the seems which TE would you like to see the Phins draft???Serviceable isn't acceptable. Fasano has been solid, but we need a playmaker there. Draft a TE and continue to develop Clay.

BARF
02-01-2012, 02:26 AM
i like fasano but he is not the answer

Roman529
02-01-2012, 04:43 AM
D. Allen....but I am also cool with Fleener. If you watch Allen he looks like the second coming of Antonio Gates.

kloud_9
02-01-2012, 05:42 AM
Fleener,Vernon Davis like recieving te

Lord Of Miami
02-01-2012, 05:55 AM
Michael Egnew

Hayden Fox
02-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Green is a nightmare matchup in the red zone.

kloud_9
02-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Allen is maybe the best all around though.Blocking/recieving

j-off-her-doll
02-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Decent chance one of them (Fleener or Allen) falls to us in the 2nd. I'd be happy with either - assuming someone else (not a TE) didn't fall who I like even better.

ckparrothead
02-01-2012, 01:23 PM
I want the guy out of Miami, Chase Ford. Dominated Shrine practices to an extent that even Dennis Pitta did not. He's a full 6'6" and 260 lbs and can catch the ball away from his frame. He doesn't lumber around like some of these other guys you see that are sized out.

Ford was a JUCO transfer to Miami from Kilgore Junior College in Texas. He caught 34 passes for 571 yards and 3 TDs at Kilgore in 2009. Over 2010 and 2011 with Miami, he caught 16 passes for 284 yards and 2 TDs.

Did he dominate at University of Miami? Absolutely not. But Jimmy Graham only had 17 catches coming out of The U, too. It happens. When you have a program going through turmoil, you play a position like Tight End that can become superfluous in today's college offenses, and you don't have a good quarterback...sometimes these Tight Ends slip under the radar until they get to the pros where offensive coordinators like to use them more.

In Joe Philbin's offense, he likes to have a guy that can run up the seam and control it, drawing defenders to him or taking advantage of soft defense. Over the week of Shrine practice, Ford showed me that with his dominant height and ability to catch the ball away from his frame in physical confines, he can help serve that function. He can also be a nice target in the end zone. He's not a fast runner, he won't blaze a 4.6 or anything, but he's a fluid runner which I think is important. Blocking is not his thing. You'll have to teach him that.

He's the kind of Tight End that I think we need to add, that would end up a good mix with Anthony Fasano and Charles Clay. You could use all three guys in different ways.

Hayden Fox
02-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Does Fasano get cut for cap reasons and that he might not be a great fit with Philbin's offense?

ckparrothead
02-01-2012, 01:43 PM
I think he's a fine fit for Philbin's offense. I don't see why you'd cut him.

ckparrothead
02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Last year Philbin gave over 1500 snaps to the Tight Ends, about 1.35 tight ends per snap. Miami used 1.50 tight ends per snap.

I think there's plenty to go around, plenty of roles for Fasano to fill. One thing he's done the last few years when someone other than Chad Henne has thrown the ball to him, is actually catch passes up the seam and be a threat that way. He's a tremendous blocker and Philbin used 1.61 tight ends per run play.

I just think if you go in with Fasano, Ford and Clay, you have something at that position for any occasion, and it's a nice well-rounded position. No, you don't have the next Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski. But, how many teams do? They don't grow on trees, you've got to grab those guys opportunistically and I don't know about you but I don't see one of those in this Draft. The closest are Fleener and Green, to me. But they're not close enough to that level to make me drop my other priorities and make sure I get one of them in the early rounds.

datruth55
02-01-2012, 02:31 PM
I want the guy out of Miami, Chase Ford. Dominated Shrine practices to an extent that even Dennis Pitta did not. He's a full 6'6" and 260 lbs and can catch the ball away from his frame. He doesn't lumber around like some of these other guys you see that are sized out.

Ford was a JUCO transfer to Miami from Kilgore Junior College in Texas. He caught 34 passes for 571 yards and 3 TDs at Kilgore in 2009. Over 2010 and 2011 with Miami, he caught 16 passes for 284 yards and 2 TDs.

Did he dominate at University of Miami? Absolutely not. But Jimmy Graham only had 17 catches coming out of The U, too. It happens. When you have a program going through turmoil, you play a position like Tight End that can become superfluous in today's college offenses, and you don't have a good quarterback...sometimes these Tight Ends slip under the radar until they get to the pros where offensive coordinators like to use them more.

In Joe Philbin's offense, he likes to have a guy that can run up the seam and control it, drawing defenders to him or taking advantage of soft defense. Over the week of Shrine practice, Ford showed me that with his dominant height and ability to catch the ball away from his frame in physical confines, he can help serve that function. He can also be a nice target in the end zone. He's not a fast runner, he won't blaze a 4.6 or anything, but he's a fluid runner which I think is important. Blocking is not his thing. You'll have to teach him that.

He's the kind of Tight End that I think we need to add, that would end up a good mix with Anthony Fasano and Charles Clay. You could use all three guys in different ways.
Chase Ford dropped a lot of passes his first year at Miami. He seemed overwhelmed at times with the level of play and the offense under Mark Whipple. Whipple lost trust in him and he was mostly platooned at the TE spot, never a focus of the offense. Last season Ford was used a little more and he had some big plays but Clive Walford was the main TE in the offense while Ford was the #2. He's an OK blocker, has good speed to be a threat down the seem. He's still developing IMO and could be a late round sleeper.

At Miami he wasn't particularly good at catching balls in traffic but in space he's a lot more ellusive than he looks. He was pretty good at making the catch and turning up field and getting some extra yards though. Not a big game breaker.

j-off-her-doll
02-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Last year Philbin gave over 1500 snaps to the Tight Ends, about 1.35 tight ends per snap. Miami used 1.50 tight ends per snap.

I think there's plenty to go around, plenty of roles for Fasano to fill. One thing he's done the last few years when someone other than Chad Henne has thrown the ball to him, is actually catch passes up the seam and be a threat that way. He's a tremendous blocker and Philbin used 1.61 tight ends per run play.

I just think if you go in with Fasano, Ford and Clay, you have something at that position for any occasion, and it's a nice well-rounded position. No, you don't have the next Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski. But, how many teams do? They don't grow on trees, you've got to grab those guys opportunistically and I don't know about you but I don't see one of those in this Draft. The closest are Fleener and Green, to me. But they're not close enough to that level to make me drop my other priorities and make sure I get one of them in the early rounds.

Assuming Fleener is there in the 2nd, you're not buying? I'm not saying he will be, but crazier things have happened.

Ricky4Life
02-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Fleener

ckparrothead
02-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Chase Ford dropped a lot of passes his first year at Miami. He seemed overwhelmed at times with the level of play and the offense under Mark Whipple. Whipple lost trust in him and he was mostly platooned at the TE spot, never a focus of the offense. Last season Ford was used a little more and he had some big plays but Clive Walford was the main TE in the offense while Ford was the #2. He's an OK blocker, has good speed to be a threat down the seem. He's still developing IMO and could be a late round sleeper.

At Miami he wasn't particularly good at catching balls in traffic but in space he's a lot more ellusive than he looks. He was pretty good at making the catch and turning up field and getting some extra yards though. Not a big game breaker.

I think it's hard to make the judgment about how he is catching balls in traffic when you have the QB situation that Miami had, and an offensive coordinator that as you say gave more opportunities to Walford. The reps just aren't there. I watched him all week in Shrine practices and he was so good that at some point you could actually sense in a very real and palpable way that the quarterbacks started to look for him, because they knew he could make them look better. He was catching balls away from his body, going up for the high ball, securing it with his hands, catching in traffic while players are being physical with him, he even caught one ball on the other side of the defender's helmet.

I think there's a danger in deciding what this guy is and can be based on highly limited opportunities in Miami.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Assuming Fleener is there in the 2nd, you're not buying? I'm not saying he will be, but crazier things have happened.

It depends on who else is there.

next-year
02-01-2012, 06:45 PM
After watching the Orange bowl i got a lot less interested in the idea of us getting Allen.

Hayden Fox
02-01-2012, 07:41 PM
I think he's a fine fit for Philbin's offense. I don't see why you'd cut him.

High cap number...

finfan54
02-01-2012, 09:10 PM
watchin ledarius green move up boards.

ry-dbar
02-01-2012, 09:47 PM
1Upshaw/2Fleener

silverfin
02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Fleener, absolutely love him, think he'll be a star in the league.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-01-2012, 11:52 PM
I like Fleener best. He has a real sense for getting open, catches everything and is a true redzone presence.

ckparrothead
02-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I agree with the people that like Fleener the best. But will he be like another Rob Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham? I don't know that I really see that. I'm not sure I see that in this class, period. Given that, to me the value is in someone like Chase Ford or Josh Chichester, neither of whom you'll have to pay much in order to acquire, but who could easily give you as much production as some of the guys at the top.

state06
02-02-2012, 03:36 PM
I agree with the people that like Fleener the best. But will he be like another Rob Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham? I don't know that I really see that. I'm not sure I see that in this class, period. Given that, to me the value is in someone like Chase Ford or Josh Chichester, neither of whom you'll have to pay much in order to acquire, but who could easily give you as much production as some of the guys at the top.

I agree with your opinion on Fleener. I like him and would take him rd 2, but i dont see Gronk, Graham in him. I see a very solid ontributing piece, but not a TE that will completely take over games and rewrite the record books. There are other TEs in this draft, mid to late, who didnt have Andrew Luck throwing them the ball, who have a similar physical make up that Fleener does who can become contributers to an Offense.

EFWilson
02-03-2012, 01:51 PM
I would put TE third or forth on the list. OL,QB or OLB would be higher on my wish list.

SMadison29
02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Allen is maybe the best all around though.Blocking/recieving

Yes, Allen is the best blocker that's what we need if the new staff plans on devloping Clay who is a stretch the field TE.

SMadison29
02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
I think it's hard to make the judgment about how he is catching balls in traffic when you have the QB situation that Miami had, and an offensive coordinator that as you say gave more opportunities to Walford. The reps just aren't there. I watched him all week in Shrine practices and he was so good that at some point you could actually sense in a very real and palpable way that the quarterbacks started to look for him, because they knew he could make them look better. He was catching balls away from his body, going up for the high ball, securing it with his hands, catching in traffic while players are being physical with him, he even caught one ball on the other side of the defender's helmet.

I think there's a danger in deciding what this guy is and can be based on highly limited opportunities in Miami.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

It depends on who else is there.

Ford was great in JUCO, great. Hell he was the MVP of his league. But I think the lights were too bright for him in Miami. He was hailed as the next Jeremy Shockey with amazing hands but like datruth said Ford dropped a lot of passes. Ford had the opportunity both seasons. He was expected to be the starter in 2010 couldn't hold onto the ball & the coaching staff lost confidence in him. This year we had a new coaching staff so he had the chance to impress AG & staff & failed to do so. The U had the most fluid depth chart I've ever seen from them & by the end of the year he was #3 on the depth chart behind Walford & Dye. Say what you want about our QBs (not sure if you're a U fan CK) but the passes he dropped were unacceptable & hit him square in the hands.

SMadison29
02-03-2012, 03:35 PM

Just because both went to the U doesn't mean the circumstances were the same. It's well documented that Graham only played one year at the U. Extremely raw & new to the game. He was given limited opportunities due to his lack of experience. Ford had the experience coming up from the JUCO ranks & had the opportunity with two coaching staffs to produce yet failed.

CaneHammer
02-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Orson Charles. Still to this day wished he would have chosen the U coming out of high school... More research and extra time talking to the Miami staff to figure out what was going on with Chase. Something seems amiss. There was alot of talk of him flashing in practice but he grew some stone hands in games.

utahphinsfan
02-05-2012, 02:59 PM
I like Fleener but Orson Charles intrigues me too.

LibertineOneThree
02-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Fleener, Egnew or Green.

justdev7
02-10-2012, 01:21 AM

I think he's a different type of player than both Graham and Gronk because he's just wayyyyyyyyyyyyy faster. Fleener get seriously move!!!!

2413fanphins
02-12-2012, 12:25 PM
fleener and orson charles. be happy with either.

LANGER72
02-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Fleener can have Masterud's spot on the roster and work his way into the starting line up opposite Fasano or Clay.
Masterud is hot garbage.

Fin_Frenzy_84
02-15-2012, 02:07 AM
This is just a crazy idea. What about alshon at TE. Igo heard he recently was weighed at 248 and only can run a 4.88... I think if he learns how to block he can be a beast. He can really stretch the field as a tight end

CedarPhin
02-15-2012, 02:32 AM
Charles, Fleener, or Dwyane Allen.

phinfein
02-15-2012, 08:09 PM
chase ford from the u!!

justdev7
02-25-2012, 04:10 PM
The numbers that Egnew put up were pretty impressive. Still my top choice