PDA

View Full Version : Fun read on Ryan Tannehill - liking him more and more.

-81- McMichael
02-01-2012, 12:25 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/848667-ryan-tannehill-why-the-texas-am-quarterback-is-in-a-class-of-his-own

Can't say I'd be upset if we ended up with this kid. My first choice/hope is Flynn, of course.

But if someone else gets Flynn... I'd say let Moore start the season... he deserves that chance (assuming he wins the QB competition during pre-season and training camp)... and then lets see what happens. If at mid-season he's sucking it up... give Tannehill a go (he's had success coming in as "the man" in the middle of a season before). Intangible mean a lot to me... and this kid seems to have them in truck loads. I never want to see another Dumbte Culpepper on this team again. :crazy:

You're not smart - you don't QB. PERIOD. I don't care what your "measurements" are. Look at Brees for crying out load. Called "short" and too "frail" and "light" to succeed in the NFL. Same with Joe Montana for those of you that are "old school". Well I guess we can toss that "size matters" argument out the door. SMART is what matters. And Tannehill is smart AND he's PASSIONATE about the game and his teammates. What more could ask for? (Maybe only that he had had another year or two of experience is my only mark against him.)

josekareh
02-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Sounds fair to me

Mudder1310
02-01-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm coming around to the idea of signing the best FA O Line and WR available, drafting Tannehill with the 9 (or moving back a few picks), and going with Moore or Henne for a year.

Phins28
02-01-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm coming around to the idea of signing the best FA O Line and WR available, drafting Tannehill with the 9 (or moving back a few picks), and going with Moore or Henne for a year.

No to Henne, no to INTannehill, sign Manning or Flynn.

foozool13
02-01-2012, 01:43 PM
I hope we dont draft this guy anywhere in round 1.

rrrrphin
02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Philbin, Sherman and Ireland will not have any lack of information excuses on their QB decision this year.

I think Ireland has done a decent job in talent evaluation thus far with the exception of finding a franchise QB. If he messes up the QB decision this year, i think Ross may even give up on him.

insomnia411
02-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Ideally I'd love our QB depth next year to go as follows :

1. Peyton Manning
2. Matt Moore
3. Weeden or Tannehill from our 2nd round pick.

I HIGHLY doubt that both of those guys will be there in rd 2 but one of them very well could be. I don't think
that either are good enough to be first round picks (because of a combination of factors) and it wouldn't be tragic if we go into next season with Manning and Moore without drafting a QB in rounds 1 or 2.
How about an off season where we get Peyton Manning and Reggie Nelson - then a draft with Riley Reiff in round 1 and Joe Adams in round 2?.. I'd have an anticipatory hard on until September.

TheWarriorFins
02-01-2012, 02:21 PM

I would like to do that too for a actual franchise QB, he isn't worth a 1st round 9th pick

tcdrover
02-01-2012, 03:56 PM
There is absolutely no way that henne beats out Moore in a fair competition, that said I would go after Tannehill and let Moore start.

Moore probably has a better arm than Flynn, plus all the money they save on Flynn means that they can sign his team mate Finlay who would be a much better pick up IMHO

IHearJimi
02-01-2012, 03:59 PM
A couple things...I'm afraid of a "sought after" QB that couldn't take the job from lesser talent. Also, who was the joker that wrote the article? Go back and read it. The guy thinks he's a comedian. All the analogies, and comparisons.

Joey Ramirez is to journalistic story writing as Chaz Bonl is to Victoria's Secret model.

IHearJimi
02-01-2012, 04:07 PM
There is absolutely no way that henne beats out Moore in a fair competition, that said I would go after Tannehill and let Moore start.

Moore probably has a better arm than Flynn, plus all the money they save on Flynn means that they can sign his team mate Finlay who would be a much better pick up IMHO

Im tired of saving money on upside. We need an elite QB, not a maybe. I'm pretty confident that this year we will throw money at Flynn or mortgage the draft on RGIII if we can out bid Cleveland and Washington. Cleveland is in the catbird seat for RGIII. They have 2 1st rd picks this year for St. Louis and they'd only fall to 4 instead of 8/9.

Mudder1310
02-01-2012, 04:10 PM
I would like to do that too for a actual franchise QB, he isn't worth a 1st round 9th pick
Maybe, but lots of players get picked much earlier due to needs. Just look at Ponder and Locker last year. I don't think either went into the draft expecting to be 1st rounders.

BigNastyDB13
02-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Ive seen a lot of Tannehill, living in Oklahoma and being a Big 12 fan and this guy would be an incredibly bad pick with the 8/9th over all pick. Anybody who wants him with our 1st pick just doesnt have a clue. I think he's gotten really over-rated. He's not the 3rd best QB in this draft and he's going to need a lot of developing, which is fine and dandy but his accuracy is poor and that's something I don't think he's going to improve upon enough to be a good NFL QB. He's a good athlete but not a good QB.

BlueFin
02-01-2012, 10:17 PM
I love Tannehill.....the great thing is Mike Sherman certainly knows this kid intimately and whether he's worth pursuing.

DolfanDuBbZ~
02-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Ive seen a lot of Tannehill, living in Oklahoma and being a Big 12 fan and this guy would be an incredibly bad pick with the 8/9th over all pick. Anybody who wants him with our 1st pick just doesnt have a clue. I think he's gotten really over-rated. He's not the 3rd best QB in this draft and he's going to need a lot of developing, which is fine and dandy but his accuracy is poor and that's something I don't think he's going to improve upon enough to be a good NFL QB. He's a good athlete but not a good QB.

Sadly even the draft 'guru's' around here think Tannehill is worth a 1st rd pick. How IDK. The guy is raw. And those that actually watched him against the top tier in the BIG 12, seen he folds under pressure and throws the INT at the worst times.

But hey, it cost Sherman his job. Too bad those around here can't look past the youtube and espn highlights.

DolfanDuBbZ~
02-01-2012, 10:22 PM
I love Tannehill.....the great thing is Mike Sherman certainly knows this kid intimately and whether he's worth pursuing.

Case in point.

All that love for a guy who couldn't beat the upper tier in the BIG 12. And Sherman lost his job for playing games at QB.:err:

Danny
02-01-2012, 10:40 PM
No way we take this guy at 9......I'd rather get Flynn then trade back if posible for a 2nd round pick. Then in the middle of round one take a RT and in round 2 a TE early then a pass rusher with the other pick if we do indeed move back and get an extra 2nd.

Ozzy rules!!

finfan54
02-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Ideally I'd love our QB depth next year to go as follows :

1. Peyton Manning
2. Matt Moore
3. Weeden or Tannehill from our 2nd round pick.

I HIGHLY doubt that both of those guys will be there in rd 2 but one of them very well could be. I don't think
that either are good enough to be first round picks (because of a combination of factors) and it wouldn't be tragic if we go into next season with Manning and Moore without drafting a QB in rounds 1 or 2.
How about an off season where we get Peyton Manning and Reggie Nelson - then a draft with Riley Reiff in round 1 and Joe Adams in round 2?.. I'd have an anticipatory hard on until September.

i was just watching some highlights of tannehill. I actually agree with this. I think its time to set ourselves up with some depth for Qb. Tannehill can learn from the best. Moore moves on after this year. I like it.

-81- McMichael
02-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Joey Ramirez is to journalistic story writing as Chaz Bonl is to Victoria's Secret model.

Funny... but kind of hypocritical... you're mockingly criticizing his writing style by using the exact same style. I'm guessing you did that on purpose. Funny... but again... a little double-standardish, so to speak.

A couple things...I'm afraid of a "sought after" QB that couldn't take the job from lesser talent.

Oh, you mean like Tom Brady when he couldn't beat out an over-rated Drew Bledsoe... or Steve Young (a "known" failure in Tampa) when he couldn't beat out an aging and increasing injury prone Joe Montana... or for the quintessential example... a rookie by the name of Dan Marino that couldn't beat out David Woodley until almost half way through the 1984 season?

Sorry, but your concern - though seemingly legitimate - is misplaced. Truth is, no one KNOWS what Tannehill can do in the pros... but one thing that's been pointed out so far (which leads me to think he will be wearing aqua and orange) is that the coaching staff which has been assembled so far is "positioned" to know about as much as can possibly be known about Tannehill and also Flynn.

Again, my first choice is Flynn... but the point of this thread was to suggest that Tannehill (if we can trade down a little for him and pick up an extra pick)... wouldn't be a bad pick up IF all other doors are closed to us come draft day.

All the same, your point is taken. I don't agree necessarily. But I can't say I totally disagree. Would've been great if the kid hadn't broke his foot and we could've seen more of him in the Senior Bowl. Oh well. You never know. Maybe this happened for a reason. One thing's for sure and something I think we can all agree upon and celebrate... :hclap:

No more RUN ON 1st, RUN ON 2nd... ask a mediocre QB to convert on 3rd and long. 4 down. Field Goal. Fist pump. :crazy:

finfan54
02-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Case in point.

All that love for a guy who couldn't beat the upper tier in the BIG 12. And Sherman lost his job for playing games at QB.:err:

If Tannehill was playing for LSU, do you think LSU would have beaten Alabama? This thinking is all wrong. You need to look at Thills prospects at the next level. He has all the tools. He was raw since coming from playing WR, and did pretty darn good. He is a solid prospect with huge upside IMO.

Not saying draft at 9, just saying you could trade down, get some blockers and an extra pick, and still end up with him or Weeden at 41. The early draft teams will have their QB's and we may be able to trade up in second round with St louis if need be.

Valandui
02-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Sadly even the draft 'guru's' around here think Tannehill is worth a 1st rd pick. How IDK. The guy is raw. And those that actually watched him against the top tier in the BIG 12, seen he folds under pressure and throws the INT at the worst times.

But hey, it cost Sherman his job. Too bad those around here can't look past the youtube and espn highlights.
Yep, it was Tannehill that got him fired. Not the fact that he only had one winning season in five years, but Tannehill.

tcdrover
02-02-2012, 12:47 AM
A few months ago he was projected to go in the 3rd to 4th rounds. Now all of a sudden he is a top ten pick.

wtf?

Why couldn't we have picked up the kid that NE got towards the end of the draft last year?

I actually like Ireland, but he has let some pretty good qb's slip away that were easily obtainable.

NYPhin24
02-02-2012, 01:00 AM
A few months ago he was projected to go in the 3rd to 4th rounds. Now all of a sudden he is a top ten pick.

wtf?

Why couldn't we have picked up the kid that NE got towards the end of the draft last year?

I actually like Ireland, but he has let some pretty good qb's slip away that were easily obtainable.

Christian Ponder was projected to go in the 3rd round, MAYBE sneak up into the 2nd round, he was the 12th overall pick, people still seem to fail to realize (Dolphins fans should realize it more than anyone) that this is a QB driven league and GM's and coaches live and die by the success of the QB they chose and dont chose, Time Tebow was projected anywhere from the 3rd-5th round, Josh McDaniels took him in the 1st, you cant just sit back and anymore and say we will trade down and he will still be there, or we can get him in the 2nd round, if they think Tannehill can turn into a franchise QB, unfortunately even thought by most it is a reach, you have to take him where your picking, if you trade down you always risk the chance that someone trades up or trade back into the 1st round to grab that guy right before you pick

And as far as that kid NE picked late, (assuming your referring to Mallett) he has proven exactly as much as Tannehill has proven in the NFL, the obsession with Mallett a 3rd round pick who has zero mobility, pocket awarness, choked in the cliutch with INT's, oh he had a strong arm.....sounds like Henne

DolfanDuBbZ~
02-02-2012, 03:28 AM
If Tannehill was playing for LSU, do you think LSU would have beaten Alabama? This thinking is all wrong. You need to look at Thills prospects at the next level. He has all the tools. He was raw since coming from playing WR, and did pretty darn good. He is a solid prospect with huge upside IMO.

Not saying draft at 9, just saying you could trade down, get some blockers and an extra pick, and still end up with him or Weeden at 41. The early draft teams will have their QB's and we may be able to trade up in second round with St louis if need be.

I didn't just watch highlights of Tannehill, I actually watched most of A&M'S game here in BIG 12 country.

He folds under pressure, period. He was no where to be found in the 4th qt. He was either throwing critical INTS during crunch time or missing badly for a crucial 3rd and 6 or so.

People, complain that Parcells and comp took on qb's like Henne and White in the 2nd. And here we are, having people wanting to do it all over again. Tannehill is very raw. If he was half the qb most here make him out to be, Sherman wouldn't be here now.

And projecting him in the NFL, I see him moving back to WR and being avg at best. He has natural athletic ability. But you need more than that to be a QB at the next level. Tight windows and DB's make it a must.

DolfanDuBbZ~
02-02-2012, 03:32 AM
Yep, it was Tannehill that got him fired. Not the fact that he only had one winning season in five years, but Tannehill.

Going into this season what was TAM ranked? Tannehill in the 3rd/4th qtrs fell apart. Throwing INTS at critical times. It is what it is. Sherman had a heck of a team this year. He just didn't have a solid QB to lead his team. Hence, he lost his job.

BTW, I actually watched alot of TAM games, being here in BIG 12 country. I don't base any of my opinions on highlight reels. If I did, I would have been one of the boobs around here screaming for 'WildPat'.

fakespike
02-02-2012, 03:49 AM
I guess I'd be ok with drafting tannehill in the 2nd if its after a trade down AND he's sitting behind manning and Moore.

Valandui
02-02-2012, 05:17 AM
Going into this season what was TAM ranked? Tannehill in the 3rd/4th qtrs fell apart. Throwing INTS at critical times. It is what it is. Sherman had a heck of a team this year. He just didn't have a solid QB to lead his team. Hence, he lost his job.

BTW, I actually watched alot of TAM games, being here in BIG 12 country. I don't base any of my opinions on highlight reels. If I did, I would have been one of the boobs around here screaming for 'WildPat'.

I'm not arguing who has watched more Big 12 games, but I would argue that his firing had less to do with Tannehill and more to do with this.

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°

Texas A&M Aggies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_A%26M_Aggies_football) (Big 12 Conference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_Conference)) (2008–2011)

2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Texas A&M (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Texas_A%26M_Aggies_football_team)
4–8
2–6
T–5th (South)

2009 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Texas A&M (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Texas_A%26M_Aggies_football_team)
6–7
3–5
5th (South)
L Independence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Independence_Bowl)

2010 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Texas A&M (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Texas_A%26M_Aggies_football_team)
9–4
6–2
T–1st (South)
L Cotton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Cotton_Bowl_Classic)

2011 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Texas A&M (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Texas_A%26M_Aggies_football_team)
6–6
4–5
T–6th
Meineke Car Care (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Meineke_Car_Care_Bowl_of_Texas)*

Texas A&M:
25–25
15–18
* Did not coach bowl game

Total:
25–25

National championship Conference title Conference division title

†Indicates BCS bowl game. #Rankings from final Coaches' Poll (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaches%27_Poll).
°Rankings from final AP Poll (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP_Poll).

finfan54
02-02-2012, 08:19 AM
I didn't just watch highlights of Tannehill, I actually watched most of A&M'S game here in BIG 12 country.

He folds under pressure, period. He was no where to be found in the 4th qt. He was either throwing critical INTS during crunch time or missing badly for a crucial 3rd and 6 or so.

People, complain that Parcells and comp took on qb's like Henne and White in the 2nd. And here we are, having people wanting to do it all over again. Tannehill is very raw. If he was half the qb most here make him out to be, Sherman wouldn't be here now.

And projecting him in the NFL, I see him moving back to WR and being avg at best. He has natural athletic ability. But you need more than that to be a QB at the next level. Tight windows and DB's make it a must.

Has Texas A&M ever had a big program? Do they often get the pick of the litter? no. Tannehill is your classic raw player who developes over time with all the tools. With good coaching, as long as he has strong character and work ethic, he can go places. Its all a process and once again I will state, not big on this guy picking 9, but if we trade down ala Odrick/Misi, then you can get a nice T/G in this draft to go along with Tannehill and you get Manning who teaches the kid alot in one to two years and there is your future. Alot was said about Rogers and his college system he played in, well, he was brought along under Farve for three years and now look.

Now, if we go Flynn, all bets are off. But my point is a deal with Manning and your QB position is nice.

DisturbedShifty
02-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Good think Sparano and Henning aren't here anymore. They would probably draft this guy over Luck if we had the first pick. Jack of all trades is fine, but me personally he seems more like a second rounder QB. If we can pick him up there then great. Otherwise I am pretty sure we can make better use of our first round pick.

state06
02-02-2012, 02:46 PM
A couple things...I'm afraid of a "sought after" QB that couldn't take the job from lesser talent. Also, who was the joker that wrote the article? Go back and read it. The guy thinks he's a comedian. All the analogies, and comparisons.

Right, how about all those annoying little jokes and puns. Made me want to leave the page faster than the Kardashians leave relationships....quicker than Pat Whites NFL/MLB careers ended...

SebasMiamiFan
02-02-2012, 03:28 PM
I think he's raw and has potential to be a good QB in the NFL, but anyone who thinks he's a first rounder shouldn't post anymore.

Valandui
02-02-2012, 08:43 PM
I think he's raw and has potential to be a good QB in the NFL, but anyone who thinks he's a first rounder shouldn't post anymore.
I don't know that he should be one, but I'm pretty sure he will be one.

ahmilli
02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Whoever Philbin goes with, im sure it will be the right decision. Hopefully. lol