PDA

View Full Version : Vontaze Burfict

mandal24
02-02-2012, 04:10 AM
This guy looks like an absolute beast. If the Fins trade down, this guy would be a great pick in the middle of the 1st round. With two 2nd round picks, we could secure a top TE (Allen or Fleener) and grab either a OG or RT to fix the right side of the line. (This is all assuming Manning or Flynn gets signed) We would still need to address the FS position and pass rushing spot opposite of Wake but there's always FA, plus despite those weaknesses, our D was and will still be in the top half of the league (I believe)

Thoughts?

yardlaw
02-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Gesundheit!

finfan54
02-02-2012, 08:25 AM
my thought is nfl draft board.

hab321
02-02-2012, 09:12 AM
So your saying he'd be the "Burfict" fit in Miami ?!?!?

(c'mon man - someone had to say it :rolleyes:)

andyahs
02-02-2012, 09:14 AM
So your saying he'd be the "Burfict" fit in Miami ?!?!?

(c'mon man - someone had to say it :rolleyes:)

No someone didn't.....:chuckle:

DcRy82
02-02-2012, 12:27 PM
He's a stud, he's mean, and he hits like a ton of bricks. If we figured out a couple of other positions during FA, I'd definitely like to draft him. That would allow us to put Dansby at SOLB where he belongs. I know we really need a pass rusher, but if you look across the league, every good defense has a stud at MLB.

Shaman
02-02-2012, 02:20 PM
He has a lot of concerns. He has a hard time controlling his emotions and plays out of control way too often. He's someone that's probably of the high risk/high reward nature.

bigvince75
02-02-2012, 02:33 PM
He can play way too out of control at times but his athleticism and explosiveness are undeniable. If he goes to a team with a strong coaching staff and a veteran defense they could help him realize his potential. The one thing I really like about him is that he's mean; you can't teach a LB to be that way. I'd really like to see him used as a blitzing LB on passing downs.

Someone posted on another forum that if you put Keuchly's brain in Burfict's body you'd have a top 5 pick. I agree with that assessment.

next-year
02-02-2012, 05:27 PM
I really like him and a I really think people still put too much emphasis on a players personalities. After being proven wrong time and time again, better teams in the league wind up getting tremendous talent because teams like us pass up on them. Hey, I know there is reasoning for it but i think it jsut shows a lack of faith in a coaching staff if someone is not drafting a player for personality issues even if they are a potential superstar.

LANGER72
02-05-2012, 03:32 AM
He has a lot of concerns. He has a hard time controlling his emotions and plays out of control way too often. He's someone that's probably of the high risk/high reward nature.

A lot of folks said the same about Ray Lewis..

LANGER72
02-05-2012, 03:52 AM
He could "Burflict" some pain to the opposing QB's

PSU Cane
02-05-2012, 09:43 AM
I stay as far away from him as i could. The guy was benched last year on a team that was bad enough to get the coach fired. If the coach knew he was on the hot seat and still refused to play the kid, that's telling you something. If you want to go MLB and draft a terror to allow Dansby to move back outside i'm ok with it.....but i go Luke Kuechly. You know what you are getting with him.....a team leader, solid in every aspect of the game, incredible instincts and diagnosing of plays, durable and NOT a guy who will ruin your locker room.

123KID
02-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Could he be compared to Ray Mauluga? Hard hitter wild play maker...haven't heard much of his name since being drafted

dahlmarino
02-05-2012, 04:43 PM
A lot of folks said the same about Ray Lewis..

...and it took involvement in a double murder getting swept under the rug for him to get that out of his system.

dagger151
02-06-2012, 10:38 PM

Sounds a lot like Bryan Cox

sinPHIN
02-07-2012, 12:53 AM
why couldnt he play outside in a 4-3. i think he could

crossfit93
02-07-2012, 08:50 PM
mario williams, Burflict, and a good fs can make this defense dynamic. and peyton manning well he can make any offense dynamic

datruth55
02-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Anybody in this thread still feel Burfict is a 1st round talent with his 5.09 40, 30" vert and 8'8" broad jump? Couple that with his inability to control his emotions on the field and I think he goes undrafted myself. I had said in another thread I didn't want this guy on the Dolphins, this just makes it easy.

rent this space
02-28-2012, 11:18 AM
No way this guy gets picked anywhere near the first round, imo

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/27/vontaze-burficts-rough-combine-continues/

ChambersWI
02-28-2012, 11:35 AM
big part of the problem for Burfict was the lack of control Dennis Erickson had over the team. In terms of physical talent, he's right up there with Patrick Willis, but he plays dumb sometimes. And I'm not talking dumb in the sense he over commits to something or gets tricked, I mean he's a personal foul machine. And a lot of his penalties come from excessive celebration.

ticophin
02-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Didnīt this guy just run the 40 slower than DT Dontari Poe, the 345lb monster???

datruth55
02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
big part of the problem for Burfict was the lack of control Dennis Erickson had over the team. In terms of physical talent, he's right up there with Patrick Willis, but he plays dumb sometimes. And I'm not talking dumb in the sense he over commits to something or gets tricked, I mean he's a personal foul machine. And a lot of his penalties come from excessive celebration.
Physical talent comparable to Willis? Are you freakin serious? Did you not just see the measurables at the combine?

Miamifin23
02-28-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't want anything to do with this fat, lazy, waste of talent. Got benched numerous amounts of time while at asu, didn't show up to the combine in shape and ready to go. When you're questioned about work ethic and then you show up proving all the critics right you have some issues. If we have a MLB we're thinking about taking we better stay put at 8 and take Kuechly.

next-year
02-28-2012, 01:22 PM

yep, and without a good coaching staff they allowed him to gain a lot of useless weight this season slowing up his game drastically

finsfanjay13
02-28-2012, 02:25 PM
I would be concerned that the Dolphins don't have enough leadership in the clubhouse to contain Burflict. He'd be a good fit in Baltimore, though.

Roman529
02-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Burfict has a lot of talent but he also makes so many mental errors, late hits, unsportsmanlike penalties....he's kind of a knucklehead, and I say this as an ASU grad who has watched most of his games.

TedSlimmJr
02-28-2012, 05:15 PM
I've never stepped foot on campus at Arizona St. and I've watched all of his games.... several times over in fact...

He was always an overrated player. People see one picture of him standing at the LOS pointing at Matt Barkley and assume he's a player. Not the case.

However, at one point it looked like his upside could potentially be enough to off-set his character flaws, stupidity, and risk as a prospect. Burfict flushed all that down the drain when he went out and tested like a slug. Supposedly bombed the interview process on top of it.

Burfict's issues and laziness can't be laid at the feet of the coaching staff. Nobody else on Arizona St.'s team was fat and out of shape with everything to lose... only Burfict. If he needs that much coddling, you don't want him anyway.

The linebacker position is one that requires work ethic, dedication to film study, football IQ, and leadership simply by nature. Burfict never displayed one grain of these qualities when his team needed it the most.... unlike several other linebackers in this draft. Instead, he was the one usually hurting his team through sheer stupidity.

Coaches want a guy that's coachable. NFL teams aren't going to invest heavily in a guy who's just as subject to give the other team 15 free yards as he is to guess right and shoot the correct gap.

Burfict isn't even in Patrick Willis' class. In fact, it's an insult to one of the highest character and hardest working linebackers in the league. Willis already had these attributes before even attending college.

Nick13
03-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Burfict is like Lavar Arrington except not as good. He's a freelancer who plays for himself and not for the team. Guys can get away with that in college, but it doesnt fly in the NFL where everyone is a superior athlete. Also, note that LaVar Arrington had some similar concerns coming out of college (could he keep his head on? did he play with too much emotion, etc...) and after being the #2 overall pick, and making the pro bowl in 3 of his first 4 seasons, Arrington hit a wall with both injuries and disagreements with the coaching staff and eventually paid to become a free agent. After 7 seasons, he was out of football. Pretty steep decline for someone who was touted to revolutionize the MLB position. Stay away from Burfict. The guy is a PR nightmare, and he's an overrated football player.

fgrocker
03-03-2012, 10:57 AM
yep, and without a good coaching staff they allowed him to gain a lot of useless weight this season slowing up his game drastically

So we shouldn't hold him at all accountable for his own weight gain? Really???

SF Dolphin Fan
03-03-2012, 01:48 PM
What do you guys think if he drops to the 4th round? Is he worth the risk at that point? I mean he is talented and with good coaching, better conditioning, a chip on his shoulders and the right type of players around him he could start reaching his potential.

gregorygrant83
03-03-2012, 05:16 PM
He reminds me of an out of control version of Bryan Cox. He has some talent but would cause a young coaching staff a lot of headaches.

hooshoops
03-04-2012, 01:10 AM
can't believe this kid ran a 5 second 40...just can't believe it...when his heads in it he plays much faster...he runs down stuff when he's mentally right most lbs never sniff

Pinkboy
03-04-2012, 05:55 AM
watch his tape he sucks