PDA

View Full Version : NEW 2/2/12 Walter Football Mock

finomenal
02-02-2012, 07:43 AM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2012charlie.php

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2013/04/dolphinsb_logogif-1.jpg Miami Dolphins: Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
Miami has to do something about the quarterback position this offseason. The Dolphins could try to acquire Matt Flynn, especially given his background with new head coach Joe Philbin. If Miami lands Flynn or another NFL veteran, the team could use this pick to provide some better blocking. Marc Columbo was a liability at right tackle this year, and the Dolphins could use a bookend tackle to pair with Jake Long.

'Moose' Martin (6-6, 304) was an excellent player for Stanford. He dominated the Pac-10 in 2010. Martin has the pass-protecting potential to be a standout tackle, and is a tenacious run blocker. He does a fabulous job of setting the edge, and the Cardinal had a lot of success running behind him with David DeCastro pulling from right guard. Martin is experienced at protecting a franchise quarterback and the pressure that comes with the position. At the pro level, Martin will need some work to develop his pass protection, but he has big upside. Martin could be an excellent right tackle.

(http://walterfootball.com/draft2012charlie.php)

finfan54
02-02-2012, 08:23 AM
rather take decastro. meaner, tougher, can do everything. probowler every year. steve hutchinson. safest pick in the draft some say.

Chuck-182
02-02-2012, 08:59 AM
No more offensive lineman

MiZFiT
02-02-2012, 09:19 AM
If we get Flynn, it's the right pick.

Phins28
02-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Super super :bobdole:

Slim
02-02-2012, 09:26 AM
You guys are hilarious.

The entire board sat here and whined about three things all season:

1. Tony Sparano - GONE
2. QB Play - Article uses the hypothetical scenario that we land Flynn
3. Colombo - Article has us resolving that issue

And you're still upset?

Penthos
02-02-2012, 09:39 AM
You guys are hilarious.

1. Tony Sparano - GONE

And you're still upset?

Because you are forgetting number 4:
- Drafting cornfed linemen.

silverfin
02-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Unless we trade down who would people rather see us take? Blackmon and Claiborne will be long gone at number 8.

Providing we get a QB (Flynn/Manning) then I'm fine with us going o-line in the first round. We need a RT, and Reiff who should be available is the better pick over Martin IMO. I like DeCastro but RT is a huge hole we need to fill. We could also go with a pass rusher with this pick, I'd be cool with that too. It all depends who we can sign in FA.

matt11390
02-02-2012, 09:48 AM
I know Sparano ruined us over the past few years by taking all the lineman. However, IF we get Flynn, then a OT or DE would make a lot of sense. We need to protect our QB and we need to get after the opposing QB. I hate to say it but a lineman does makes the best sense.

finfan77
02-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Actually a strong offensive line sets up everything else. With a strong oline you keep your QB healthy, it should give him time to help improve his accuracy which makes the passing game better, and they would provide nice running lanes for the backs. I don't necessarily think that they all need to be No 1's but I don't think we need to reach for a player based on need either. Unless one of the QB's, Richards, Blackmon or Clariborn slip I would go best player available which would be Decastro in my book. I'm not sold on Coples or any of the other DL's and don't see a lot of 1st Round talent at LB either.

The 1st pick should solidify a position and decastro should do that.

Valandui
02-02-2012, 09:53 AM
You guys are hilarious.

1. Tony Sparano - GONE

And you're still upset?
I'm upset that it's Martin and not DeCastro.

hooshoops
02-02-2012, 09:54 AM
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Zounds
02-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Screw this OL pick. We need someone that will directly score us points - like a QB, RB, or WR. We need serious upgrades at our skill positions. A lot of the people here think Hartline is underated, but the reality is that he would be a 4th or 5th WR on any other team. Hartline will not pull double coverage off of Marshall. And Reggie Bush wont play 16 games next year. Skill position or bust for me.

I'm well aware that Columbo is the worst RT to ever play in the NFL, but we can replace him in FA or a later round pick. I really dont like the idea of drafting a G or a RT in the top 10.

SnakeoilSeller
02-02-2012, 10:18 AM
If the Fins are able to land a QB in Free Agency, Reiff makes the most sense IMHO. It will not be the popular pick, but it makes the most sense. Tackles that can play in the NFL just dont fall from the sky, Colombo showed that. If you are going to spend money on a QB, you need to protect him - something the Fins had problems with last year. Plus, getting someone who can play LT and RT is a huge insurance policy against Jake getting hurt again. The Philbin Regime is riding on some popularity right now, it may allow the Fins to take an O lineman (again) and not have the fans go ape ****.

Ed Norton
02-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Another big problem besides QB is getting a pass rusher. It seems like landing a stud DE/OLB puts them closer to beating New England than another OL.

Mudder1310
02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
BTW. They have us taking Weeden rd 2, a G in 3, and safety in 4. Interesting but ultimately disappointing.

Andyman
02-02-2012, 10:25 AM

You're going to be disappointed I'm afraid. Unless someone really falls to the Fins or someone really wants a trade-up, it's RT at this spot.

normaniii
02-02-2012, 10:39 AM
I would say the strongest position top 10 this year is OT, which is also our weakest position, so I say take the best one!

I dont get the fans who say no more lineman. If the Lions had followed the same principle, they never would have drafted Calvin Johnson!

LANGER72
02-02-2012, 10:41 AM

You take the corn fed linemen in rounds 2-7. The first round should all about play makers.
Jake Long is an exceptional athlete, worthy of the pick, but QB is the hardest position to fill.

LANGER72
02-02-2012, 10:44 AM
If the Fins are able to land a QB in Free Agency, Reiff makes the most sense IMHO. It will not be the popular pick, but it makes the most sense. Tackles that can play in the NFL just dont fall from the sky, Colombo showed that. If you are going to spend money on a QB, you need to protect him - something the Fins had problems with last year. Plus, getting someone who can play LT and RT is a huge insurance policy against Jake getting hurt again. The Philbin Regime is riding on some popularity right now, it may allow the Fins to take an O lineman (again) and not have the fans go ape ****.

I agree with you about the honey moon period. If they decide to go with another lineman, the fans will get restless and grumble, but they will get over it...especially if it fixes the problems.

ryanosaur2000
02-02-2012, 10:55 AM
If we manage to land a QB in free agency, an offensive lineman i.e. RT, is the most sensible pick for us in my opinion.

Gonzo
02-02-2012, 10:59 AM
You guys are hilarious.

1. Tony Sparano - GONE

And you're still upset?Not the entire board, there were plenty that were more than happy with the mediocrity and continue to be willing to support every single move this team makes. Some would be happy no matter who we drafted there. Ireland could redraft Colombo just to ensure he gets 1st round money and some of you would defend it.

The Colombo issue can be solved by drafting a cardboard box in the 7th. It's flat out idiotic to use a top ten pick on an OT that's only there because the position is insanely overrated. Top ten are for playmakers and ELITE linemen, which Martin most certainly is not. There's an argument for DeCastro, but that's it. Draft a playmaker or an elite defender (Coples or Upshaw) and fix the line later in the draft and through FA.

Gonzo
02-02-2012, 11:04 AM
If we manage to land a QB in free agency, an offensive lineman i.e. RT, is the most sensible pick for us in my opinion.Sensible (i.e. safe) picks get you to 7-9, 7-9, and 6-10. There are plenty of playmakers available at our spot, save the cornfed for later rounds.

jim1
02-02-2012, 11:56 AM
BTW. They have us taking Weeden rd 2, a G in 3, and safety in 4. Interesting but ultimately disappointing.

I would be all over Weeden in rd 2, but I seriously doubt that he wil be availabe there. Imo trade our 4th to slide up a few slots to get him:

1. DeCastro
2. Weeden
3. Joe Adams, or if somehow Colby Fleener slides down to here. If Adams run a 4.20-4.25 he'll be gone, too.

I really want that field stetching TE, maybe Ladarius Green, but I still have hopes for Charles Clay. Adams has stud talent, more Desean Jackson than Ted Ginn. The guy has major quicks, not just straight line speed. He is not a Clyde Gates clone, and I have high hopes for Gates in the next season or 2 as he get some experience under his belt. Dude can fly- we should have kept Anthony Armstrong also.

King Dingaling
02-02-2012, 12:06 PM
I would rather Draft Decastro. He will be a Pro Bowler and fills a need. Let Jerry, Murtha, and a mid-rounder battle it out for the RT job. All these tackles are LTs that would require a position switch. Decastro is a RG and looks like the next great lineman!!! I know it's not a sexy pick, but you win in the trenches. You spend FA money on playmakers and Draft the Grunts.

jim1
02-02-2012, 12:15 PM
I would rather Draft Decastro. He will be a Pro Bowler and fills a need. Let Jerry, Murtha, and a mid-rounder battle it out for the RT job. All these tackles are LTs that would require a position switch. Decastro is a RG and looks like the next great lineman!!! I know it's not a sexy pick, but you win in the trenches. You spend FA money on playmakers and Draft the Grunts.

I would LOVE to draft playmakers, but we're obvioulsy at the mercy of the draft board. I'd be really interested in Dwayne Bowe in FA- dude does not have hands of stone as some say and is a physical presence. We wanted Lockr or Pnder last year, got snkaed out of both, the move this year is to trade down in the 1st round and get ideally:

1. Daivd DeCastro
2. Brandon Weeden
3. Coby Fleener
3. Joe Adams

Hey, I can dream.

finomenal
02-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Unless we trade down who would people rather see us take? Blackmon and Claiborne will be long gone at number 8.

Providing we get a QB (Flynn/Manning) then I'm fine with us going o-line in the first round. We need a RT, and Reiff who should be available is the better pick over Martin IMO. I like DeCastro but RT is a huge hole we need to fill. We could also go with a pass rusher with this pick, I'd be cool with that too. It all depends who we can sign in FA.
Assuming we get a QB in FA, I'd rather get a pass rusher with the 1st pick. Elite pass rushers are harder to find beyond the top 15 than tackles. Other teams find a way to fill the tackle position with later picks. It's about time we do a better job of scouting and do the same.

firemanx
02-02-2012, 01:21 PM
if we do sign matt flyn i would like to see us select michael flyod WR NOtre dame as he knows how to operate in a westcoast style system&could be an immediate impact

ckparrothead
02-02-2012, 01:56 PM
So the following happens in the Draft:

1. Colts - QB Andrew Luck
2. Rams - CB Morris Claiborne
3. Vikings - OT Matt Kalil
4. Browns - QB Robert Griffin
5. Bucs - WR Justin Blackmon
6. Redskins - QB Ryan Tannehill
7. Jaguars - DE Quinton Coples

Then what? Miami picks #8 or #9. Who do you pick? Honestly.

It's too easy to just say "trade down" as if that opportunity is automatically going to exist. But who will do the trading up, and for what player?

Who would be left that would inspire a trade up? Dre Kirkpatrick, who was just arrested for marijuana possession? Trent Richardson, a tailback, where so many teams have come to believe that drafting tailbacks high in the 1st round is stupid? David DeCastro, an interior offensive lineman? Between Jonathan Martin, Riley Reiff and Mike Adams, there would be enough left at that position that a team in need wouldn't necessarily feel urgency about trading up to Miami's spot with all three of those guys left on the board. The same thing applies at the Defensive Tackle spots, where you'd still have Michael Brockers, Devon Still, Dontari Poe, Fletcher Cox, Brandon Thompson and Alamaeda Ta'amu all still available. With all of those guys available, why feel urgency to trade up to #8 or #9 for one of them?

So, which player is going to induce teams to trade up and give up extra draft picks?

The reality is, if the Draft happens the way I laid out above, and Miami doesn't trade up, then yeah...David DeCastro might be their best bet.

foozool13
02-02-2012, 03:05 PM
If we get a QB...I would prefer to trade down and snag an extra 2nd or 3rd unless some crazy **** happens and a top 5 player falls to us. But at the same time a crazy prospect would have to fall for us to be able to trade down.

LANGER72
02-02-2012, 03:51 PM

It's too easy to just say "trade down" as if that opportunity is automatically going to exist. But who will do the trading up, and for what player?

Who would be left that would inspire a trade up? Dre Kirkpatrick, who was just arrested for marijuana possession? Trent Richardson, a tailback, where so many teams have come to believe that drafting tailbacks high in the 1st round is stupid? David DeCastro, an interior offensive lineman? Between Jonathan Martin, Riley Reiff and Mike Adams, there would be enough left at that position that a team in need wouldn't necessarily feel urgency about trading up to Miami's spot with all three of those guys left on the board. The same thing applies at the Defensive Tackle spots, where you'd still have Michael Brockers, Devon Still, Dontari Poe, Fletcher Cox, Brandon Thompson and Alamaeda Ta'amu all still available. With all of those guys available, why feel urgency to trade up to #8 or #9 for one of them?

So, which player is going to induce teams to trade up and give up extra draft picks?

The reality is, if the Draft happens the way I laid out above, and Miami doesn't trade up, then yeah...David DeCastro might be their best bet.

Nice write up.
I hope you are wrong and there is a run on QB's and OL. I would love to see Blackmon or Clarborne slip to 8/9.
I am not sold on Couples. I think he drops to into the teens.

j-off-her-doll
02-02-2012, 04:28 PM

Richardson or Upshaw.

Zounds
02-02-2012, 04:43 PM

I would take Richardson, honestly.

ckparrothead
02-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Jeff Ireland would never do that. He won't completely neutralize his 2011 2nd round pick, the guy he traded up to get, the guy he passed on Ryan Mallett for, by grabbing Trent Richardson in the 1st round of this year's Draft. He won't do that on the following bases:

1. Trent Richardson is the same type of tailback as Daniel Thomas
2. Taking Richardson would signal failure on his idea to trade up and take Thomas
3. Bill Parcells has instilled in him many of the same beliefs about the RB position and drafting them high

LANGER72
02-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Jeff Ireland would never do that. He won't completely neutralize his 2011 2nd round pick, the guy he traded up to get, the guy he passed on Ryan Mallett for, by grabbing Trent Richardson in the 1st round of this year's Draft. He won't do that on the following bases:

1. Trent Richardson is the same type of tailback as Daniel Thomas
2. Taking Richardson would signal failure on his idea to trade up and take Thomas
3. Bill Parcells has instilled in him many of the same beliefs about the RB position and drafting them high

Richardson is a much better back than DT. By not recognizing your mistake, you are making a 2nd one.
I would rather take Richardson, let him alternate with Bush, and let DT have Hilliards snaps. Hilliard can walk.

Ricky4Life
02-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Upshaw

thejetssuck
02-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Richardson is a much better back than DT. By not recognizing your mistake, you are making a 2nd one.
I would rather take Richardson, let him alternate with Bush, and let DT have Hilliards snaps. Hilliard can walk.

Try telling that to Jeff Ireland's ego.

ckparrothead
02-02-2012, 05:37 PM

Don't tell me. Tell Jeff Ireland. I'm just telling you, he won't do it.

hooshoops
02-02-2012, 05:39 PM
yeah...irelands not gonna piggy back off of daniel thomas last year with richardson in the top 10 this year...not happening...but if richardson was there when we came on the clock that could make us a nice trade out candidate...

provided the kid runs in the low 4.5's at least

SR 7
02-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Don't tell me. Tell Jeff Ireland. I'm just telling you, he won't do it.

to rebuke 1 of those 3 theories, which 2 are correct, is that BP wouldn't trade up for a RB like Ireland did in my opinion AND Ireland wouldn't' take P. White like BP did.

Sometimes, some crazy things happen that no one has any answers too, like adding a bruiser when you talked about speed lmao (DT).

Zounds
02-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Ireland isnt too proud to skip over Richardson. He cut AJ Edds a year after he traded up to draft him....Patrick Turner...Pat White....Shawn Murphy...

Ireland will replace anyone if there is an oportunity, except at QB of course.

hooshoops
02-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Ireland isnt too proud to skip over Richardson. He cut AJ Edds a year after he traded up to draft him....Patrick Turner...Pat White....Shawn Murphy...

parcells was runnin the show then...

ckparrothead
02-02-2012, 06:06 PM

You have a MUCH different read on Ireland than I do.

A.J. Edds is a very poor example, in this case. He was a 5th round pick and the first thing he did when he got here was shred his ACL during mini camps.

hooshoops
02-02-2012, 06:09 PM
huh...i thought edds was a 4th rounder...not that it matters

DKphin
02-02-2012, 06:13 PM
rather take decastro. meaner, tougher, can do everything. probowler every year. steve hutchinson. safest pick in the draft some say.I do not think that DeCastro makes it to the 9th spot for the very reasons you point out.

ckparrothead
02-02-2012, 06:45 PM

Either way. Much lower pick, and the first thing he did as a Dolphin was shred his knee.

Zounds
02-02-2012, 07:24 PM
parcells was runnin the show then...

I believe Parcells to be much more stubborn that Ireland, and Parcells is gone. Even if Parcells ran the entire show, cuts were made regardless of draft position. If they didnt pan out, they got replaced. Ireland was part of that and I dont think he's too stubborn to draft another RB.

Zounds
02-02-2012, 07:26 PM

We actually traded up to get him. And they way Ireland talked about him, I am sure it was Irelands call at the time. It sounds like he did all the work on Edds.

isaacjunk
02-03-2012, 02:15 AM
What about a 3rd rounder to move up a spot or two to take Coples?

Roman529
02-03-2012, 03:37 AM
I see Martin, Reiff and DeCastro in a lot of mocks for us. They keep saying we will have Jake Long on the left side and one of these guys as a bookend on the right side for years to come.

Funky Fin
02-03-2012, 04:17 AM
C'mon please stop wasting 1st rd picks on mofo lineman.

LANGER72
02-03-2012, 04:34 AM
I would not be upset if we took a lineman like DeCastro, but we need more play makers. We can find some RG's and RT's in the middle rounds or in FA.
I think Ireland trades up to get Blackmon. That would be a huge, fan pleasing trade up. The guy is a game changing beast.

Fin Thirteen
02-03-2012, 08:40 AM
You take the corn fed linemen in rounds 2-7. The first round should all about play makers.

A lot of scouts, coaches and GMs are on the record saying you don't take chances with your round 1 pick. You play safe with the guy who will almost certainly make it as an NFL player. QB is probably the only exception, where war-rooms reach a bit on draft day to get talent at the QB spot. But most are agreed the criteria for first round picks isn't "is he a playmaker?", it's "is this guy definitely going to start for me?"

LANGER72
02-03-2012, 03:07 PM
A lot of scouts, coaches and GMs are on the record saying you don't take chances with your round 1 pick. You play safe with the guy who will almost certainly make it as an NFL player. QB is probably the only exception, where war-rooms reach a bit on draft day to get talent at the QB spot. But most are agreed the criteria for first round picks isn't "is he a playmaker?", it's "is this guy definitely going to start for me?"

With the #8/9 pick, you can have the top player on the board in a number of positions. Drafting a RT/RG with the #8/9 pick to high for that position. The way the draft is shaping, 3 of the teams in front of us are taking a QB.
There should be plenty of options for a great player to upgrade one of our mediocre players. The last time I checked, we have very few pro bowl players. Apart from Marshall, Long, Pouncey, and Bush, everyone else can be upgraded in the draft. Taking another lineman that high, this year, is a wasted opportunity.

Exuro
02-04-2012, 08:15 PM
if the board plays out like that, I'd think Upshaw would be the pick. Lots of Reasons

1. Colombo is so terrible that a 4th or 5th rookie would be an improvement
2. The AFC east has a distinct lack of pass rush talent
3. Cam Wake is 31 at the end of next season and is a FA
4. Taking the 2nd best pass rusher in the draft means less chance that the Bills the Jets acquire the elite pass rusher they lack
5. Dolphins have practiced pick denial in the past (Odrick anyone?)
6. Who wouldn't want to see a 4 man front of Upshaw, Odrick, Starks, and Wake?

I believe that next year the fins need to go Offense with their 1st rounder, but the value for a skill position isn't there at 8 or 9 outside of Richardson or a lineman. Instead they might make the move to put the D over the top and taking Upshaw/Ingram/Mercilus would certainly fit the bill.