02-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Has us taking

1. Riley Reiff

2. Jared Crick

3. Ronnell Lewis

http://www.gbnreport.com/2012projection.html

Nappy Roots
02-02-2012, 11:14 AM
I will **** up the first random guy I see, if we draft a ****ing OL at 9.

Gonzo
02-02-2012, 11:51 AM
jesus.****ing.christ.

datruth55
02-02-2012, 12:11 PM
So O-line then D-line and then a DE/OLB..way to address those skill players.

Gonzo
02-02-2012, 12:43 PM
So O-line then D-line and then a DE/OLB..way to address those skill players.Sounds familiar, like the last several years familiar.

rrrrphin
02-02-2012, 01:04 PM
mock drafts are pretty much bs - especially before free agency

i usually just try to take notice of the players that would still be avaiable when the dolphins pick.

ckparrothead
02-02-2012, 01:38 PM
There's a real potential dilemma that could happen at #8 or #9 though.

Consider this:

-I personally believe that Washington will think very hard on drafting Ryan Tannehill at #6. He's absolutely perfect for the Shanahans.
-Robert Griffin is probably going to Cleveland, one way or another.
-Morris Claiborne and Justin Blackmon almost surely will not make it out of the top 7.
-Quinton Coples could very well get taken by Jacksonville at #7 overall, especially if Blackmon is gone.

So you could legitimately have a Draft that goes as follows:

1. Indianapolis Colts - QB Andrew Luck, Stanford
2. St. Louis Rams - CB Morris Claiborne, LSU
3. Minnesota Vikings - OT Matt Kalil, USC
4. Cleveland Browns - QB Robert Griffin, Baylor
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
6. Washington Redskins - QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M
7. Jacksonville Jaguars - DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina

Then what? Does it even matter if Miami is picking #8 or #9 at that point? The only elite players left on the board are (in my opinion) David DeCastro, Trent Richardson and Courtney Upshaw. Between Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas, you know the Dolphins would be hard pressed to find themselves drafting Trent Richardson at #8 or #9. What if Miami has already made the decision to go to a 4-3 and they let Paul Soliai and Kendall Langford walk via Free Agency? You going to Draft Courtney Upshaw at #8 or #9 overall to play DE for you in a 4-3?

At that point, David DeCastro is really Miami's best bet.

Hayden Fox
02-02-2012, 01:50 PM

Consider this:

-I personally believe that Washington will think very hard on drafting Ryan Tannehill at #6. He's absolutely perfect for the Shanahans.
-Morris Claiborne and Justin Blackmon almost surely will not make it out of the top 7.
-Quinton Coples could very well get taken by Jacksonville at #7 overall, especially if Blackmon is gone.

Then what? Does it even matter if Miami is picking #8 or #9 at that point? The only elite players left on the board are (in my opinion) David DeCastro, Trent Richardson and Courtney Upshaw. Between Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas, you know the Dolphins would be hard pressed to find themselves drafting Trent Richardson at #8 or #9. What if Miami has already made the decision to go to a 4-3 and they let Paul Soliai and Kendall Langford walk via Free Agency? You going to Draft Courtney Upshaw at #8 or #9 overall to play DE for you in a 4-3?

Would a RT be better value?
How about Melvin Ingram as a pass rusher?
Kendall Wright as an explosive element to the offense?

You will need a new stadium if the Fins take a guard at 8 or 9 because fans will burn it down.

Don't rule out trading up for RGIII if the QB job has not been filled in FA.

jim1
02-02-2012, 01:58 PM

Consider this:

Exactly. I've been saying that for the last 2 months.

Here's my email to Colin at GBN from early this mornig:

Hi Colin,

Nice 3 round mock, I just saw it.

As to the Dolphins-

Rround 1: I'd still be inclined, if going OL, to take the absolute stud David DeCastro and leave RT to Lydon Murtha (darkhorse candidate imo, extremely athletic, valuable LT backup to Jake Long if he doesn't start), John Jerry (played surprisingly well at LT subbing for Long) and if Vernon Carey is healthy put him back at RT.

Round 2- Jared Crick- DL is one of the areas where we have a pretty good level of depth and quality- for 5T DE we have Odrick, Merling (questionable, I know), Ryan Baker, Kendall Langford, Tony McDaniel, Randy Starks- all can play preferably 3/4 DE, but some 4-3 if we make that change. My point is- we're so starved for talent on offense, I can't see going DL again- this roster is imbalanced, needs TE and WR help bably, needs a franchise QB obvioulsly, and a deep threat TE. We need Koa Misi to step it up and become a pass rush threat opposite Cameron Wake, but we need to compete on offense.

There is no way I'd pass on Weeden in the 2nd round- good call on the Jets taking him though, Rex Ryan won't mess around if Sanchez isn't the guy, and Weeden woud be great for them. I'd also take Dwayne Allen or Coby Fleener if availabe. I'd head straight to the vomitorium if we passed on Weeden in the 2nd rd and signed Matt Flynn, he of the one great game, to a $50 million contract and screwed our salary cap budget.

3rd round- Ii'd seriously consider WR/KR Joe Adams, who will be what Ted Ginn should have been, and is far quicker than Clyde Gates. Gates is a burner, but doesn't have nearly the quicks of Adams, a game breaker and game changer as a returner and possibly at WR. Actually I'm very suprised that you don't have him in the first 3 rounds, especially after his great Senior Bowl game and week of practice.

All in all great mock and great work as usual.

Regards,
Jim

His response:

COLIN LINDSAY clindsc555@rogers.com
10:06 AM (2 hours ago)
to me

Thanks Jim: Good points.. The one thing we did take into consideration was the Dolphins signing Matt Flynn as a FA. Look forward to seeing what they actually do... Cheers

cl

Colin's good, but I don't see Joe Adams falling out of the top 3 rounds. I hope that he's wrong about Flynn.

My money is on Weeden going to, in order:

1. Washington
2. Miami
3. Cleveland
4. Seattle
5. NYJ

ckparrothead
02-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Would a RT be better value?
How about Melvin Ingram as a pass rusher?
Kendall Wright as an explosive element to the offense?

You will need a new stadium if the Fins take a guard at 8 or 9 because fans will burn it down.

Don't rule out trading up for RGIII if the QB job has not been filled in FA.

One at a time.

Q: Would a RT be better value?

A: Only if that Right Tackle is a better player. Right now I believe that David DeCastro is a better player and will have more of an impact than the tackles available in that hypothetical situation (Reiff, Martin). I may change my mind, but that's how I feel right now. The rookie wage scale has changed things a lot when it comes to top 10 picks and interior offensive linemen versus tackles. Not to mention, the popularity of 3-4 and Fire Zone defenses has also changed the relative importance of the two positions. We're at a point where you can no longer justify steering toward a tackle in the top 10 of the draft based on risk. A lot of that risk has been taken out. Now what matters, is impact...and that's not the same thing.

Q: How about Melvin Ingram as a pass rusher?

A: Good luck getting Jeff Ireland to think about that one, considering his belief in prototypes. By the time we get to the Draft, Miami will have already decided whether they're a 4-3 defense or a 3-4 defense. That decision will be forced upon them by Free Agency, where they either lose or retain Kendall Langford and Paul Soliai. If they retain Soliai then they still have some flexibility and could maybe play either defense. But if they lose both, they have no choice but to move to a 4-3 defense under Kevin Coyle. If they retain both, they stay a 3-4 defense, plain and simple. If the 3-4 is still on the table then I think you could justify either Courtney Upshaw or Melvin Ingram, but my preference would be Upshaw. I think Ingram is more of an Adalius Thomas at the next level. As a pass rusher, he's savvy and pretty well coached for the college level. But his physical limitations in frame and arm length might make his upside more limited than the more physically bestial Upshaw. And yet if I'm playing a straight 4-3, I don't know that I'd want either player.

Q: Kendall Wright as an explosive element to the offense?

A: I believe based on Joe Philbin's history that he's more appreciative of route runners than purely fast and explosive players. I think he likes guys that can see the ball in the air and adjust, getting separation at the top of the route at the point of the catch, guys that make themselves available for the quarterback and can get chemistry with the passer. I don't believe Miami will be one of the teams that rates Kendall Wright higher than Justin Blackmon, and I also believe that Jeff Ireland is more than happy with the wide receivers unit he's already put together. I don't believe Kendall Wright will even be a consideration. Nor should they be, in truth. I'm about as big a Kendall Wright fan as you get, been talking about him for a long time, but I wouldn't consider him at #8 or #9.

I think you could be right about trading up for RGIII if they don't fill the QB position in free agency. It's not Jeff Ireland's style, but it would be Steve Ross' style to "encourage" Ireland to do that.

Hayden Fox
02-02-2012, 03:29 PM
If the Fins went O-line, I would think Riley Reiff would be best value in that he is a OT.

Austin Tatious
02-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Personally, I like to spread high draft picks across different positions. We have hit LT, CB, DE, and C under Ireland. I just can't see another high pick on another interior lineman. DeCastro may be an excellent prospect, but we need talent at other spots, primarily QB and Pass rusher. There is a redundancy in approach if you snag two interior O linemen in back to back years. You take an elite guy like Pouncey and you find a good player next to him but not necessarily an eilte. Ireland needs to do his job and get a competent guy on the interior line without blowing a number one on it.

Assuming we get Flynn, I would run the card up on Upshaw. He would be a menace on the edge for Miami and you just don't get an opportunity to get a guy like that every day. Suppose Miami improves next season on coaching alone. Say they win 10 games. Maybe they pick 22nd or 20th or whatever. The odds of them getting a butt kicking pass rusher go down. You can't just wave your hand next year and assume they can find an edge rusher. We know that from the Marino years. Miami was too good to draft high and just had the darndest time getting elite defenders. Point is, don't assume you can get one later. Grab the stud now. You can get an OG anytime.

I'm not worried about 3-4 vs 4-3 when it comes to Upshaw or an elite pass rusher. Look at the Giants, they play a 4-3 and bring in pass rushers in waves. We need some. Upshaw is a great football player. I'd get him.

If you don't go for Weeden in the second, then maybe get the best available OT in the second round.

Bring in:

1. Flynn
2. Upshaw
3. second round OT like a Glenn, or a Schwartz later
4. free agent FS like Reggie Nelson

All of a sudden this team is dramatically improved and the building blocks for the future would be spread across different positions and the roster would be coming together for a long term run.

ckparrothead
02-02-2012, 04:47 PM
If the Fins went O-line, I would think Riley Reiff would be best value in that he is a OT.

I don't know if Riley Reiff is the best value, but I think he's the most likely in the scenario I laid out, based on:

1. Philbin's connections with Kirk Ferentz and Iowa
2. Philbin's experience in Green Bay drafting Bryan Bulaga in the 1st round
3. Miami's extremely high profile gaffe with Marc Colombo at Right Tackle in 2011
4. Jeff Ireland's tendency toward low risk tactics in the 1st round

hooshoops
02-02-2012, 04:53 PM
if we go tackle in the top 10 my moneys on it being reiff also...no doubt in my mind...and coples is going to jax...no doubt in my mind on that one either...if flynn comes here it probably is reiff or decastro with that top pick given coples will be off the table...and i bet ireland would scoop reiff

i don't think ireland will go for upshaw or ingram in the top 10...for reasons i've already stated...

if we don't get flynn and no manning barring a trade up for rg3 don't sleep on tannehill for us with the top pick...ireland knows he better shoot all his bullets into finding a real qb and i think tannehills upside could win out

ckparrothead
02-02-2012, 05:13 PM
It's sort of scenario analysis. For instance in the scenario you describe where Miami doesn't get Peyton or Flynn, and they don't trade up for RG3, then I think Tannehill is not just a possibility, I think he's the 1st priority. They won't pass on him at #8 or #9 and hope to get him later in the Draft. They'll just go ahead and take him.

But remember the scenario I laid out...where Washington takes Tannehill at #6 before Miami can even get hold of him.

That's where I think Riley Reiff comes into play (for them, not saying I endorse it), provided that Quinton Coples is off the board.

hooshoops
02-02-2012, 05:31 PM
if wash takes tannehill and coples is gone i think ireland goes for the best right tackle available...and really the only one i can really endorse as a legit right tackle...reiff...i do like reiff as a right tackle top one in the class imo but i don't like the pick for us especially in the top 10

martin and kalil are more left side guys to me anyways...and martin lacks strength you'd ideally want on the right side...

caneaddict
02-02-2012, 07:47 PM
It's sort of scenario analysis. For instance in the scenario you describe where Miami doesn't get Peyton or Flynn, and they don't trade up for RG3, then I think Tannehill is not just a possibility, I think he's the 1st priority. They won't pass on him at #8 or #9 and hope to get him later in the Draft. They'll just go ahead and take him.

But remember the scenario I laid out...where Washington takes Tannehill at #6 before Miami can even get hold of him.

That's where I think Riley Reiff comes into play (for them, not saying I endorse it), provided that Quinton Coples is off the board.

Here's another scenario that i would be curious on what you think Miami would do.

Miami doesn't sign Flynn and Manning still isn't at full strength in his arm and unsure if/when that strength will return. Indy takes Luck, Cleveland takes RG3, Wash takes Tannehill, Jax takes Coples. What does Miami do? Do they take OL and just avoid addressing QB entirely? Would they go Weeden? Would they go Oline and then Weeden in the 2nd if he's available? Would they just say screw it, there's no QB we believe in and unless Manning is back to full strength by the season, we're just going to stick with Moore?

MiamiMuss
02-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Honestly if Upshaw(only if Coples is gone)is at 8/9 when we draft and we dont take him im gonna be pissed.Upshaw is gonna be a studin the NFL and a cant miss player

Also in round 2 if Allen is availble and we dont grab him im gonna be hiding in the closet.Allen is a well rounded TE that will spread the field.

bryan
02-02-2012, 11:10 PM
If the draft plays out like this:

I think you have to hope like hell someone is going to offer decent compensation to move up for Richardson.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Personally, I like to spread high draft picks across different positions. We have hit LT, CB, DE, and C under Ireland. I just can't see another high pick on another interior lineman. DeCastro may be an excellent prospect, but we need talent at other spots, primarily QB and Pass rusher. There is a redundancy in approach if you snag two interior O linemen in back to back years. You take an elite guy like Pouncey and you find a good player next to him but not necessarily an eilte. Ireland needs to do his job and get a competent guy on the interior line without blowing a number one on it.

Assuming we get Flynn, I would run the card up on Upshaw. He would be a menace on the edge for Miami and you just don't get an opportunity to get a guy like that every day. Suppose Miami improves next season on coaching alone. Say they win 10 games. Maybe they pick 22nd or 20th or whatever. The odds of them getting a butt kicking pass rusher go down. You can't just wave your hand next year and assume they can find an edge rusher. We know that from the Marino years. Miami was too good to draft high and just had the darndest time getting elite defenders. Point is, don't assume you can get one later. Grab the stud now. You can get an OG anytime.

I'm not worried about 3-4 vs 4-3 when it comes to Upshaw or an elite pass rusher. Look at the Giants, they play a 4-3 and bring in pass rushers in waves. We need some. Upshaw is a great football player. I'd get him.

If you don't go for Weeden in the second, then maybe get the best available OT in the second round.

Bring in:

1. Flynn
2. Upshaw
3. second round OT like a Glenn, or a Schwartz later
4. free agent FS like Reggie Nelson

All of a sudden this team is dramatically improved and the building blocks for the future would be spread across different positions and the roster would be coming together for a long term run.I'm with you on Upshaw. We need to come out of this offseason with a franchise qb and a pass rusher opposite Wake. Upshaw would make a lot of sense.

kloud_9
02-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Rieff is o.k.the other two are stink bomb picks and very boring

zackattack54
02-03-2012, 01:07 AM
Everyone here in Ohio think the Brownies are gonna try and make some noise. If they can get RG3 at #4. I wouldnt be opposed to dropping back to #22 for there 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year so they can get Richardson. Draft TE/OL with those picks and have a shot at Barkley next year with 2 #1's under our belt.

BARF
02-03-2012, 01:24 AM
I will **** up the first random guy I see, if we draft a ****ing OL at 9.

i am with you, but if we get manning we need the best rt on the board so he doesn't get sacked. manning=o line, flynn=upshaw