PDA

View Full Version : i don't think they could mess up this draft if they wanted to...

BARF
02-03-2012, 01:36 AM
there is much good talent in the first round this year, the most i have seen in a while, no matter what they do with that first pick offense, you could get the rt which there are at least 3 that could go in the first and could start right away, or you have de castro, richardson, even thought i would not pick him, on the defensive side you have coples, upshaw, ingram, and maybe even kirkpatrick, yes i said kirkpatrick how awesome would it be if one of those corners fall to us and get him and put him on the other side, we would have the best tandem for years to come. thoughts

Gonzo
02-03-2012, 01:47 AM
DeCastro is the only lineman I could be somewhat okay with.

Ricky4Life
02-03-2012, 01:54 AM
Upshaw please.

Miamifin23
02-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Would love the decastro pick. Upshaw, coples, or Ingram would be solid as well. But if you really wanna throw a wrench in the draft, trade up and take griffin if we don't land manning or Flynn in free agency. Ross is starving for a qb and if he doesnt land his qb in free agency you better believe he'll force the hand and make Ireland give it up to get to #2 and take rgIII

EFWilson
02-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Like the decastro pick.

mfish41
02-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Playmaker in the first round please.

DKphin
02-03-2012, 09:55 PM
there is much good talent in the first round this year, the most i have seen in a while, no matter what they do with that first pick offense, you could get the rt which there are at least 3 that could go in the first and could start right away, or you have de castro, richardson, even thought i would not pick him, on the defensive side you have coples, upshaw, ingram, and maybe even kirkpatrick, yes i said kirkpatrick how awesome would it be if one of those corners fall to us and get him and put him on the other side, we would have the best tandem for years to come. thoughtsYou forget it is the management of this team doing the picking.:err:

Buff
02-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Got to get a play maker. Blackmon, Upshaw, Floyd, Coples, Griffin etc. I expect Floyd, Upshaw or Coples to be the pick.

The Confessor
02-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Would love the decastro pick. Upshaw, coples, or Ingram would be solid as well. But if you really wanna throw a wrench in the draft, trade up and take griffin if we don't land manning or Flynn in free agency. Ross is starving for a qb and if he doesnt land his qb in free agency you better believe he'll force the hand and make Ireland give it up to get to #2 and take rgIII

This has already been re-hashed over and over and over....but, do you really understand how much we would have to give up to move from 9th to the 2nd?

For what we would have to part with, RGIII better be able to single-handedly account for 6-7 wins a season all by himself. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY is that good.

We should be looking at some very solid talent with the 9th.
Dream scenario for me might be to trade back about 5-8 spots, pick up another 2nd rounder and still pick up a solid player and 2 more in the 2nd.

jonanthans
02-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Please do not temp fate, we still have the same front office. You think there's no way we could screw it up but then Ireland reaches for Melvin Ingram with the #9 pick and we all be screaming again.

There is a ton of talent, I just pray that we actually come out with a solid draft approach this time.

utahphinsfan
02-05-2012, 02:45 PM
If the 1st 3 picks were Upshaw, Fleener, & Zeitler then I'd be thrilled.

tay0365
02-10-2012, 02:55 PM

That would be ridiculously good first 3 picks, but doubt we would be that lucky to be able to get those 3 players. Upshaw maybe in the 1st, but I don't know if Fleener is there in the 2nd when we pick, nor Zeitler in the 3rd.

I would also be more then thrilled if we got those three, if we got Flynn in FA, but of we end up with Manning, we will need to get another QB in the draft, and to get a quality QB, it would be in the 1st 2 rounds.

finfan54
02-11-2012, 05:27 PM
This has already been re-hashed over and over and over....but, do you really understand how much we would have to give up to move from 9th to the 2nd?

For what we would have to part with, RGIII better be able to single-handedly account for 6-7 wins a season all by himself. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY is that good.

We should be looking at some very solid talent with the 9th.
Dream scenario for me might be to trade back about 5-8 spots, pick up another 2nd rounder and still pick up a solid player and 2 more in the 2nd.

thats a little bit of an overstatement IMO confessor. Its about a guy with high intelligence and character and talent that puts you over the top so you win consistently and defenses have a hard time holding your down for four quarters because you have many weapons where they cant defensd them all.

Its kind of like Syracuse basketball right now. They are loaded with deep talent, but without Fab Melo, they have a better chance of losing. kinda like Notre Dame did to them when Melo suddenly was not playing that night.

The Confessor
02-11-2012, 05:44 PM
thats a little bit of an overstatement IMO confessor. Its about a guy with high intelligence and character and talent that puts you over the top so you win consistently and defenses have a hard time holding your down for four quarters because you have many weapons where they cant defensd them all.

Its kind of like Syracuse basketball right now. They are loaded with deep talent, but without Fab Melo, they have a better chance of losing. kinda like Notre Dame did to them when Melo suddenly was not playing that night.

Yeah, sorry. I don't know squat about Syracuse Basketball, and your analogy doesn't really mean anything. Basketball, a game primarily by 5-8 players is NOTHING like the NFL where a bare minimum of 25 players need to click.

If you trade away the entire draft for one player, you are not bringing in anybody else to contribute. We were 6-7 wins away from the playoffs, therefore, RGIII better be able to win 6-7 games in order for us to better what we had this year.

RGIII is NOT that much of a step up from Matt Moore. Actually, till he plays a single down against big-boy defenses, he's nowhere near Matt Moore.

finfan54
02-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Yeah, sorry. I don't know squat about Syracuse Basketball, and your analogy doesn't really mean anything. Basketball, a game primarily by 5-8 players is NOTHING like the NFL where a bare minimum of 25 players need to click.

If you trade away the entire draft for one player, you are not bringing in anybody else to contribute. We were 6-7 wins away from the playoffs, therefore, RGIII better be able to win 6-7 games in order for us to better what we had this year.

RGIII is NOT that much of a step up from Matt Moore. Actually, till he plays a single down against big-boy defenses, he's nowhere near Matt Moore.

the analogy is just fine. I dont expect you to understand SU basketball. I thought you would pick out the point I was making using a team I am very familiar with. And Basketball, albeit less of a team game than football is still a team game.

As for RG3 not being nearly anywhere near Matt Moore right now, well, in one sense your right, in another, your completely way off base.

But for the sake of a great debate on a crappy saturday afternoon where snow has finally started to fall here in the northeast, I will take us up a notch.

RG3 has more speed than any Qb that has every played the position while scoring mega points and who is well known to be accurate with the ball, extremely smart, has high character, and still stays in the pocket and looks downfield before taking off like a traditional QB.

I am sorry, I am no expert and I have not studied RG3 all that much, but I watched the bowl game and some highlights, and most all experts say he is for real, so I guess I will take their word for it.

If you dont like RG3 confessor, no sweat. But I will disagree with you to the end on this. so.......have at it.

The Confessor
02-12-2012, 01:00 AM
the analogy is just fine. I dont expect you to understand SU basketball. I thought you would pick out the point I was making using a team I am very familiar with. And Basketball, albeit less of a team game than football is still a team game.

As for RG3 not being nearly anywhere near Matt Moore right now, well, in one sense your right, in another, your completely way off base.

But for the sake of a great debate on a crappy saturday afternoon where snow has finally started to fall here in the northeast, I will take us up a notch.

RG3 has more speed than any Qb that has every played the position while scoring mega points and who is well known to be accurate with the ball, extremely smart, has high character, and still stays in the pocket and looks downfield before taking off like a traditional QB.

I am sorry, I am no expert and I have not studied RG3 all that much, but I watched the bowl game and some highlights, and most all experts say he is for real, so I guess I will take their word for it.

If you dont like RG3 confessor, no sweat. But I will disagree with you to the end on this. so.......have at it.

Its not so much that I don't like RGIII. IF he falls to say? 7th, then I'm all for a trade IF that is what Philbin believes as I trust his QB instincts quite a bit.
Those same "experts" you tout have to make something, even if its from nothing. Obviously he won the Heisman, but what exactly does THAT prove???

The kid looks like a pretty good prospect, and living in Dallas, I have seen LOTS from RGIII, but, there is no way I condone giving the front end of two consecutive drafts for the kid. Not even close. He is a great athlete, but so are lots of guys playing QB in College. Until I see him rip apart a top-notch defense from a Pro-type set I hold lots of maybe's about how he will pan out.
He didn't face many daunting Defenses the entire season, and I also saw a few games where he looked mediocre at best against not such great competition.

Whatever we change this offseason, it needs to be good for 6 or so wins. IF we trade away the entire draft (Not to mention next years) for RGIII, it lands pretty much on his shoulders alone. He's simply not that good IMHO.

SCOTTY
02-12-2012, 02:13 AM

This would be a great draft. I'd love to throw a kink in. Get Nicks in FA and grab Sanu in the 3rd. Upshaw, Fleener, Sanu would make me a very very happy fin fan.

bigvince75
02-12-2012, 02:50 AM
This is a much better and deeper class than 2011 and the Phins are in a better position to land top talent than they were last year.

That being said, it comes down to your front office getting the most out of their picks. The 2010 draft was one of the deepest in over a decade and Miami got very little return and missed out on plenty of impact players. This could be a defining draft for Ireland.

Armglocks33
02-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Please do not temp fate, we still have the same front office. You think there's no way we could screw it up but then Ireland reaches for Melvin Ingram with the #9 pick and we all be screaming again.

There is a ton of talent, I just pray that we actually come out with a solid draft approach this time.

U shouldn't be worried about the 1st round..Ireland has actually been really solid with his first round picks since taking over, long,davis,odrick,pouncey. The other rounds yeah ill be a smidged worried

jlfin
02-12-2012, 09:32 AM

How would Ingram be a reach? Some people have him graded higher than Upshaw. Do you even know who he is?

SF Dolphin Fan
02-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Coples is very risky IMO, but I do love his talent. Another potential Miami target Ryan Tannehill is intriguing even though #8/9 is a tad high for him. Lots of good solid picks, though, so I agree with you there.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Its not so much that I don't like RGIII. IF he falls to say? 7th, then I'm all for a trade IF that is what Philbin believes as I trust his QB instincts quite a bit.
Those same "experts" you tout have to make something, even if its from nothing. Obviously he won the Heisman, but what exactly does THAT prove???

The kid looks like a pretty good prospect, and living in Dallas, I have seen LOTS from RGIII, but, there is no way I condone giving the front end of two consecutive drafts for the kid. Not even close. He is a great athlete, but so are lots of guys playing QB in College. Until I see him rip apart a top-notch defense from a Pro-type set I hold lots of maybe's about how he will pan out.
He didn't face many daunting Defenses the entire season, and I also saw a few games where he looked mediocre at best against not such great competition.

Whatever we change this offseason, it needs to be good for 6 or so wins. IF we trade away the entire draft (Not to mention next years) for RGIII, it lands pretty much on his shoulders alone. He's simply not that good IMHO.It's a fair debate to be sure. I like Robert Griffin III and would give up a lot for him maybe something like 2 #1's and a #2. I know that is a lot but I don't think it restricts the organization that much and won't be noticed at all if he proves to be a franchise qb. If we are unable to sign Matt Flynn or Peyton Manning (I personally think he's done) then the organization has to look hard at Griffin. Next in line is Ryan Tannehill, who I like quite a bit, but needs to sit for a year. Kirk Cousins is probably my next guy and he could be good if you load up talent around him. It is a tough call for this organization and one they have to get right.

2413fanphins
02-12-2012, 05:21 PM
the more I think about it the more I smell trade down. if we trade down 5-10 spots, and pick up an additional 2nd rounder, this is the year to do it.

if they cut bell, mark barron could come into play around 20

upshaw could still be in the mix in the mid to late teens.
cordy glenn, mike adams could be a pick to shore up the RG or RT spot.

whitney mercilus could be in play for the defense if we are going to a hybrid type

peter konz and move pouncey... probably not but maybe...

point being. we could land one of these guys in the first and have two second rounders to fill some holes.

take a te with the first pick in the second. the big three will probably still be available. tannehill, or weeden or another qb prospect with either the first or 2nd second round pick. cam johnson, vinny curry, zebrie sanders, osemele kelechi... I'd be really impressed if we got some of these dudes with our first three picks. I'm not head over heels for anybody at 8 or 9. I'm usually not a proponent for trading down, this year, I think it makes more sense than years past.

Gonzo
02-12-2012, 05:36 PM
the more I think about it the more I smell trade down. if we trade down 5-10 spots, and pick up an additional 2nd rounder, this is the year to do it.

if they cut bell, mark barron could come into play around 20

upshaw could still be in the mix in the mid to late teens.
cordy glenn, mike adams could be a pick to shore up the RG or RT spot.

whitney mercilus could be in play for the defense if we are going to a hybrid type

peter konz and move pouncey... probably not but maybe...

point being. we could land one of these guys in the first and have two second rounders to fill some holes.

take a te with the first pick in the second. the big three will probably still be available. tannehill, or weeden or another qb prospect with either the first or 2nd second round pick. cam johnson, vinny curry, zebrie sanders, osemele kelechi... I'd be really impressed if we got some of these dudes with our first three picks. I'm not head over heels for anybody at 8 or 9. I'm usually not a proponent for trading down, this year, I think it makes more sense than years past.Trading down isn't as easy as some think. There has to be somebody at our spot that another team is willing to move up to get and outside of Coples possibly falling, I just don't see it.

2413fanphins
02-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Ireland seems to have a knack.for jostling draff position. We will have to see. You may be right

umpalu
02-13-2012, 12:01 PM
WE are the dolphins. Yes we can.

normaniii
02-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Why trade down?

The Steelers, Giants & Ravens have a philosophy of drafting BPA. When that BPA, most likely Riley Reiff, also fills a position of need, probably the weakest position, why not take it?

I understand after the Sparano years many are sick of numerous Offensive lineman, but, new regime, new coaching staff, select the BPA and move on.

2413fanphins
02-13-2012, 04:59 PM
as a hawkeye fan and native of iowa, I can't get too jacked up about reiff. I'd rather go pass rusher and grab a wisconsin Ol in the 2nd round.

I don't know who we take as a pass rusher in the second if we take reiff in round one. I like the pass rusher as a first priority over a RT.

I understand your argument about taking BPA and your probably right, but with all the talent this year, I think two 2nd rounders would be okay with me.

hooshoops
02-13-2012, 06:01 PM
only way i see us having a trade down partner is if someone comes up for trent richardson if he's on the board...how high he goes depends on that 40...

Gonzo
02-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Ireland seems to have a knack.for jostling draff position. We will have to see. You may be rightTrading in the first round is a whole different ball game than trading in later rounds, and he hasn't done it yet.

jlfin
02-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Coples is very risky IMO, but I do love his talent. Another potential Miami target Ryan Tannehill is intriguing even though #8/9 is a tad high for him. Lots of good solid picks, though, so I agree with you there.

So was JPP. In fact, JPP hadn't even played much football and was a huge risk, yet some on this site have criticized the FO for passing on him. Hindsight is a wonderful talent isn't it

SF Dolphin Fan
02-13-2012, 11:54 PM
So was JPP. In fact, JPP hadn't even played much football and was a huge risk, yet some on this site have criticized the FO for passing on him. Hindsight is a wonderful talent isn't itYeah. It would be nice to travel into the future and see who really turns out from this draft. Coples definitely looks like he could be great. I think his effort has been questioned and that what concerns me. I do see him as a target for Miami along with Tannehill depending on what happens in free agency.

The Confessor
02-14-2012, 06:23 AM
So was JPP. In fact, JPP hadn't even played much football and was a huge risk, yet some on this site have criticized the FO for passing on him. Hindsight is a wonderful talent isn't it

There are similarities, but one HUGE difference.

Coming out, everybody knew that JPP was an athletic freak, and Coples might not be far behind, but there was zero doubt that JPP was both high character and incredible work ethic. Coples doesn't appear to share either of those qualities.

For the record, I swore up and down that JPP was going to be a titanic flop. I honestly thought he was going to be the Gints version of Verne Ghoulston....boy was I dead wrong on that kid :lol:

2413fanphins
02-14-2012, 06:56 PM
I was just going to mention vernon gholston...

you just never know. thats the beauty of it... NOBODY knows.

SkapePhin
02-15-2012, 01:12 PM
There are similarities, but one HUGE difference.

Coming out, everybody knew that JPP was an athletic freak, and Coples might not be far behind, but there was zero doubt that JPP was both high character and incredible work ethic. Coples doesn't appear to share either of those qualities.

For the record, I swore up and down that JPP was going to be a titanic flop. I honestly thought he was going to be the Gints version of Verne Ghoulston....boy was I dead wrong on that kid :lol:

Just like you will be dead wrong about RGIII. :)

jonanthans
02-16-2012, 12:31 AM
How would Ingram be a reach? Some people have him graded higher than Upshaw. Do you even know who he is?

Yeah I freaking know who he is, and he is a HUGE REACH at the #8/9 slot. Do YOU know who he is???