PDA

View Full Version : McShay's new Mock

NewCoachPlease
02-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Has us taking Melvin Ingram. What do the draftniks around here think of this guy? It has Coples going one pick ahead of us. Also has DeCastro going 13th.

Melvin Ingram (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28296/melvin-ingram), DE/OLB, South Carolina
Quarterback and right offensive tackle are bigger needs, but there is not an available player at either of those positions who's worth drafting here. Cameron Wake (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12417/cameron-wake) is Miami's only legitimate pass-rushing threat and he turns 30 next season, so Ingram makes sense. He can play tackle in a four-man front or end in a three-man front, giving the Dolphins the scheme versatility they want under new defensive coordinator Kevin Coye, and Ingram had a penchant for making big plays during his senior season.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/page/McShayMock2.0/2012-nfl-mock-draft-defenders-balance-top-10-todd-mcshay-latest-projection (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/page/McShayMock2.0/2012-nfl-mock-draft-defenders-balance-top-10-todd-mcshay-latest-projection)

Hayden Fox
02-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Love it

Miamifin23
02-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Good player but! I think it's a player we could trade down a few spots and grab.. Is he better than upshaw? I know no one wants to see it but I strongly believe we're picking up either manning or Flynn which would mean oline with the first pick. I'm a big fan of adding solid depth via free agency and taking a wr at 8 or 9.... Hartline is garbage and we desperately need some opposite Marshall.

EFWilson
02-03-2012, 01:47 PM
I Hope he can play right tackle as well. Fish have lots of D-Linemen. Their need is O-lineman.

Mage_Phin
02-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ingram projected as a 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE?

CANDolphan
02-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ingram projected as a 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE?

That article was a bit confusing in how it was worded. Ingram is a OLB in the 3-4, DE in the 4-3. Think someone like Justin Tuck who, although he is a 6'4 260 lb DE, he can line up at DT in the 4-3 and DE in the 3-4 in certain passing situations.

He's a pass rusher like Justin Houston/Shawne Merriman. He'd be a 4-3 DE, 3-4 OLB for us. He's incredibly versatile. He's more versatile than Upshaw.

Mage_Phin
02-03-2012, 03:06 PM
That article was a bit confusing in how it was worded. Ingram is a OLB in the 3-4, DE in the 4-3. Think someone like Justin Tuck who, although he is a 6'4 260 lb DE, he can line up at DT in the 4-3 and DE in the 3-4 in certain passing situations.

He's a pass rusher like Justin Houston/Shawne Merriman. He'd be a 4-3 DE, 3-4 OLB for us. He's incredibly versatile. He's more versatile than Upshaw.

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up pal.

fgrocker
02-03-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm not a fan of this pick. Ingram seemed to disappear a lot in a number of games, which can be easy to do with all the talent on SC's defense. I just don't see him being a disruptive force in the league, more of a solid role player who fits the scheme. It's just not a good value pick that early in the draft.

One thing this FO has done wrong is draft based mainly on need and depth. We need to start drafting BPA no matter the position. Then, once all the pieces start to fall in place, we will be able to make a title run. That's how teams like the Steelers and Patriots stay competitive year after year, while other teams with franchise QBs aren't as consistent. We need to stop thinking we are only 1 piece or year away from a ring.

SMadison29
02-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Think someone like Justin Tuck who, although he is a 6'4 260 lb DE, he can line up at DT in the 4-3 and DE in the 3-4 in certain passing situations.

I think that's confusing too. Tuck is the Giants starting RDE in the 4-3. On some passing downs he moves inside to DT and in the rare occasion they go 3-4 alignment he can play DE.

SMadison29
02-03-2012, 03:18 PM
If our primary defense is 3-4 I want Upshaw, if it's 4-3 I'll take Ingram.

Roman529
02-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Ingram or Upshaw would be fine with me if we take a defensive player first.

Ricky4Life
02-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Upshaw please

jlfin
02-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Good player but! I think it's a player we could trade down a few spots and grab.. Is he better than upshaw? I know no one wants to see it but I strongly believe we're picking up either manning or Flynn which would mean oline with the first pick. I'm a big fan of adding solid depth via free agency and taking a wr at 8 or 9.... Hartline is garbage and we desperately need some opposite Marshall.

Why don't you actually watch Hartline play before making such an ignorant statement. He's the least of the team's problems. He's not an elite WR, but he's smart, runs good routes and often gets open. He's a solid NFL WR and would get picked up quickly if he were a FA.

WaxOn WaxOff
02-03-2012, 08:01 PM
I'd be OK with it, assuming QB is answered otherwise. Ingram probably is BPA at that spot.

Lord Of Miami
02-04-2012, 12:48 AM
I wouldn't take him there....he's not worth that high of a pick.

Also he's to slow to be a OLB in a 3-4 and to small to play on the line, in a 3-4.

And if we do play more 4-3 this year...Ingram is a lot like Odrick and Starks...in that you could play all 3 of them as a DE in a 4-3 but they would all do better as a DT.

So that's why he's not worth a high pick in my mind for this team, cuzz this team has a lot more needs then letting two DT go in FA then coming back and drafting another one in the 1st round.I mean if you really think about it , it's dumb so maybe it is something our GM would do.

If this team is really looking to play more 4-3 then they will draft guys like Whitney Mercilus because he's a 4-3 DE.

SCOTTY
02-04-2012, 01:40 AM
No way is he worth the 9th overall pick. we should go BPA and he would not be close to that at 9.

The Confessor
02-04-2012, 01:46 AM
If our primary defense is 3-4 I want Upshaw, if it's 4-3 I'll take Ingram.

Yep, after studying the two waaaaay too damn much last weekend, this is the EXACT scenario I see as well.

Truth is, I think we play lots of both, and a guy like Upshaw can switch on any given down.

People think we don't need more lineman, and I concur that RT is also an absolute, but the Gints are winning superbowls by having 4 guys that can get to the QB. Anybody along their D-line, that is actually 8 deep, can get to the QB on any given play.

Can you imagine how much better our secondary would be if we never had to blitz, and when we did send Dansby or Burnett, they are completely blowing up plays?

The best way to beat a team like the Patriots/Saints/Green Bay is to get to the QB with 4 guys. I really really believe in that philosophy. Nothing more than simple number games.

Unless RGIII falls to like 5 or 6, where we can actually move up to get him, Upshaw, Kalil or Ingram would be great great picks.

jonanthans
02-04-2012, 11:54 PM
God no, please god no. Not at the 8th/9th pick.