PDA

View Full Version : Robert Griffin III, Indianapolis Colts, and the New York Giants

electrolyte
02-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Rumors are starting to swirl that the Colts are seriously considering taking RG3 at #1 overall. My friend in Indy has told me it's all over their radio stations.

If indeed RG3 is taken by the Colts..... should the Dolphins pull a Giants 2004 draft day trade?

DETAILS OF TRADE :

Chargers traded Manning—the No. 1 overall pick to the Giants. In exchange, San Diego received the following from New York: Philip Rivers, the Giants' third round pick in 2004 along with their first and fifth round selections in the 2005 draft.

San Diego selected the following players with the additional draft picks they acquired in the deal:

2004 third round pick: Kicker Nate Kaeding
2005 first round pick: Outside linebacker Shawne Merriman
2005 fifth round pick: Traded to Tampa Bay (http://bleacherreport.com/tampa-bay-buccaneers) who traded pick to St. Louis Rams (http://bleacherreport.com/st-louis-rams)

------------------------------

So the Giants gave up several picks and...THIS IS IMPORTANT.........the GIANTS REFUSED TO SETTLE FOR A DIFFERENT QB. The Giants could have easily just kept their picks and selected Philip Rivers. They refused and went after the top prospect! Two Super Bowl victories later, Eli Manning has 2 Super bowl MVP trophies and is headed to the hall of fame when his career is over.

So, should the Dolphins just refuse to settle for these other QB's in this draft? Trade the farm and get Andrew Luck?

I say yes.

mrbunglez
02-06-2012, 11:27 AM
I fully support any trade that gets us Luck. That would be my dream scenario colts take RG3 with the 1st pick and the fins trade up to get Luck.

datruth55
02-06-2012, 11:31 AM
If Luck doesn't get taken #1 overall then we need to do whatever it takes to get that #2 pick...whatever it takes!

JCane
02-06-2012, 11:31 AM
I cannot see the Colts passing on Andrew Luck.

Seems crazy to me. If they'd rather have RGIII then they'll still take Luck. Luck is the prize in this draft. He has the most value. But if they want RGIII for whatever reason, they'll still draft Luck and then trade him for a great deal.

Ed Norton
02-06-2012, 11:32 AM
I'd love to have Luck but I think it was 4th to 1st for that trade and there was a lot of pressure on San Diego to make a trade knowing Eli didn't want to play there.

TheJetsBlow
02-06-2012, 11:35 AM
I would trade the whole draft for Luck. He's the only guy I would even consider doing that for. If there's even a remote possibility we can get him, Ireland better make it happen.

bryan
02-06-2012, 11:46 AM
The Colts are not taking RG3.......come on.

rob19
02-06-2012, 11:47 AM
If we end up signing Manning or Flynn in FA I don't think it'll matter.

yardlaw
02-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Probably just pre-draft smoke and mirrors. I'd be surprised if the Colts were to pass on Luck and select RGIII.

Zounds
02-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Rumors are starting to swirl that the Colts are seriously considering taking RG3 at #1 overall. My friend in Indy has told me it's all over their radio stations.

If indeed RG3 is taken by the Colts..... should the Dolphins pull a Giants 2004 draft day trade?

First of all, the Colts arent passing on Luck. Second, even if they did want Robert Griffin, Miami would not be a trade partner because Luck and Griffin wont be available at 8 or 9 when Miami picks.

File this thread under pipe dream.

electrolyte
02-06-2012, 11:53 AM
First of all, the Colts arent passing on Luck. Second, even if they did want Robert Griffin, Miami would not be a trade partner because Luck and Griffin wont be available at 8 or 9 when Miami picks.

File this thread under pipe dream.

What?

Colts take RG3 at #1, then we can trade for Luck with the Rams at #2.

Duh?

absoluteLance
02-06-2012, 11:57 AM
What a story it would be if miami managed to sign manning and trade up and draft andrew luck

Zounds
02-06-2012, 12:34 PM
What?

Colts take RG3 at #1, then we can trade for Luck with the Rams at #2.

Duh?

No duh. Thats not what you said. You compared it to the NY Gianst and SD Chargers, where the team with the No.1 pick switched with a team with the No. 4 pick. If you didnt mean to suggest that Indy and Miami would be trade partners, then I suggest yo use a different example, like the Jets moving up to grab Sanchez.

foycore79
02-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Well this is the Dolphins so this will happen to us....we sign Manning or Flynn the Colts take RG3 leaving Luck up for grabs or we do not sign Manning and Flynn in hopes of getting either Luck or RG3 but that blows up in our face and we do not get either lol

trojanma
02-06-2012, 12:47 PM
This is almost certainly a negotiation tactic by the Colts towards Luck.
By threatening to take RG3 first it may make Luck more amiable to sit down and talk, because now there would be a threat to not take him. The Colts can negotiate with both players and play them off each other.
It is also way to stoke the embers from other teams to see what kind of deal they COULD get.

Vaark
02-06-2012, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't necessarily discount the possibility that Oliver, encouraged by his buddy Archie has already informed the Colts that he doesn't wish for his son to work a) for an unproven regime; b)for an owner who's an azzclown, c)for an organization that will turn their back on their franchise QB. Considering the PR ****storm awaiting the alcoholic owner, I can see where that kind of outside pressure plus the opportunity to keep Peyton by restructuring his contract to be more performance-driven, and having RG3 sit for a few years as his grasshopper indeed might make start to resonate out there in the heartland.

ticophin
02-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Let´s wait for the Combine, stranger things have happened, RGIII is as smart a player as I have ever seen and is elocuent as hell...and has all the physical tools. That being said, our QB situation might be solved way before the draft, so we might be looking for a young guy in the later rounds, some pass rush, pass catchers and OLinemen, instead of giving up the farm for the top 2 dogs...

Mr. Day
02-06-2012, 02:16 PM
I guess it is safe to say that there are a lot of people that still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

z0eboy
02-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Forget about getting a QB through FA or the draft, we have a franchise QB in Matt Moore!!!
:lol2:

Vertical Limit
02-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Forget about getting a QB through FA or the draft, we have a franchise QB in Matt Moore!!!
:lol2:
Eh rather have Fiedler come out of retirement.

Roman529
02-06-2012, 02:28 PM
In the NY Giants/San Diego Chargers swap of players/pick in 2004, the Chargers were moving up from the 4th overall pick to the first.....we would be moving from the #8 or #9 spot to the 2nd, so we probably would have to give up a little more than the Chragers did in 2004?....maybe one more additional pick to do this deal. If Luck was there at #2, I would make the deal to move up and get him (If we don't get Manning or Flynn).

YoMamma
02-06-2012, 02:59 PM
i live in indianapolis and there is NO WHERE RG3 is being discussed on the airwaves......no where!

Predaphin
02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
This may simply be smoke screen...but if its true, I say we sell the farm for Andrew Luck and build around a franchise QB

phinzfan21
02-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Nobody can even wait till he Manning is released or till the draft gets much closer to start all the speculative chat

MiamiMuss
02-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Nobody is buying this BS.Even if Luck didnt want to go to Indy they wont just take RGIII.They will want the farm and all the animals on it.

Marley7
02-06-2012, 05:56 PM
What? They won't be available at 8 or 9 so the only way we can secure one of them is by trading up to the 2nd pick. It can happen we would just have to give up quite a bit man.. Im just going to wait till FA before I get all hyped up on the draft day predictions. We'll know a lot about Flynn by how We approach him.

footsteps_falco
02-06-2012, 06:03 PM
lets try and get pat white out of retirement

JCane
02-06-2012, 08:57 PM
What a story it would be if miami managed to sign manning and trade up and draft andrew luck

There is absolutely -0% chance of this ever happening.

iwastherein72
02-06-2012, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't necessarily discount the possibility that Oliver, encouraged by his buddy Archie has already informed the Colts that he doesn't wish for his son...

Stranger. Things. Have. Happened.

Andrew Luck has a WELL-CONNECTED brain trust calling the shots for him from behind the scenes. The dolts look like a Keystone Kops organization right now and if they throw a Manning under the bus, there will be blood everywhere. I have always sort of EXPECTED that Luck would pull an Elway if he was about to be taken by a team he did not want.

For some reason I have a vague memory of Don Shula showing a LOT of love for Oliver Luck back when he was coming out at WVA... but that was before Luck's Backyard Brawl opponent from Pitt became available. You know who I mean. Luck wound up going to the Oilers and I don't think that alliance went well. But the elder Luck may be more favorably disposed to the Dolphin franchise.

eddie4fins
02-06-2012, 09:42 PM

DETAILS OF TRADE :

Chargers traded Manning—the No. 1 overall pick to the Giants. In exchange, San Diego received the following from New York: Philip Rivers, the Giants' third round pick in 2004 along with their first and fifth round selections in the 2005 draft.

San Diego selected the following players with the additional draft picks they acquired in the deal:

2005 fifth round pick: Traded to Tampa Bay (http://bleacherreport.com/tampa-bay-buccaneers) who traded pick to St. Louis Rams (http://bleacherreport.com/st-louis-rams)

So the Giants gave up several picks and...THIS IS IMPORTANT.........the GIANTS REFUSED TO SETTLE FOR A DIFFERENT QB. The Giants could have easily just kept their picks and selected Philip Rivers. They refused and went after the top prospect! Two Super Bowl victories later, Eli Manning has 2 Super bowl MVP trophies and is headed to the hall of fame when his career is over.

So, should the Dolphins just refuse to settle for these other QB's in this draft? Trade the farm and get Andrew Luck?

I say yes.

Manning refused to play for the Chargers and they had no choice but to trade him to the Giants...........

GoonBoss
02-08-2012, 09:30 PM
No chance. None. Zero.

Radio stations need stuff to talk about, and february is the dead spot of the year in terms of sports radio.

3rdandinches
02-09-2012, 10:09 AM
I heard their seriously looking at Shaun Powell at #1, he's a under the radar guy that will be getting a ton of hype leading up to the draft.

betadog
02-09-2012, 11:51 AM

DETAILS OF TRADE :

I say yes.

This is nothing but a smokescreen...