PDA

View Full Version : Is RG111 that much better then Joe Webb?

JakeScott
02-11-2012, 11:18 PM
I am very excited about this off season and I love what RG111 might bring to our team,I started to think about other players in the league with similiar ability Joe Webb came to mind. He is a similiar athlete,however I think Webb is a better runner and RG111 is a better passer. If people want RG111 would we just be smarter to trade a 4th to Minnesota for Webb? It is not as sexy,but could give the same results

ChrisHanson
02-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Are you joking?

kloud_9
02-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Lol that's funny

MiZFiT
02-11-2012, 11:29 PM
:bobdole:

RGIII :: Webb as Henne :: Manning

crossfit93
02-11-2012, 11:32 PM
ONLY on Finheaven. You guys crack me up. RG3 >>>>>>> WEBB

CedarPhin
02-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Is it because they're both black?

maineevent12
02-12-2012, 12:11 AM
why dont we try for byron leftwich while were at it hes a semi mobile quarteback sounds good to me. Webb? what a joke

Tureo
02-12-2012, 12:19 AM
This is an insult. Joe Webb wasn't horrible when he started but to compare Griffin to him is ridiculous.

damanref10
02-12-2012, 12:40 AM
Is it because they're both black?

sadly..... yep

kloud_9
02-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Josh Johnson as well I guess

TheWalrus
02-12-2012, 01:11 AM
I doubt many of the people on this board who sing RG3's praises have actually watched anything other than highlight videos on YouTube.

DeathStar
02-12-2012, 01:14 AM
I doubt many of the people on this board who sing RG3's praises have actually watched anything other than highlight videos on YouTube.

It's called we watch college football games.

Valandui
02-12-2012, 01:32 AM
Joe Webb is a legit 6'4". RG3 might be 6'2".

Noodleman
02-12-2012, 01:50 AM
Webb is a better runner? are you serious? RG3 is a world class sprinter. As far as passing goes....RG3 is much better. So no....trading for Webb would not be the same thing.

CallMeDaddy
02-12-2012, 02:50 AM
Joe Webb is a legit 6'4". RG3 might be 6'2".

Drew Brees is 5'11"

CallMeDaddy
02-12-2012, 02:52 AM
We might as well let Marlon Moore try at QB, Joe Webb is a WR/KR made QB so why don't we try the same? I mean he has speed...

TheWalrus
02-12-2012, 03:14 AM

Not nearly as many do... as claim they do.

PogiRo
02-12-2012, 04:06 AM

RGIII :: Webb as Henne :: Manning

Valandui
02-12-2012, 04:12 AM
We might as well let Marlon Moore try at QB, Joe Webb is a WR/KR made QB so why don't we try the same? I mean he has speed...
Except that he played QB all through college.

Valandui
02-12-2012, 04:14 AM
Drew Brees is 5'11"
Name another successful QB currently in the league under 6'2". I'll give you Vick as a starter. Name another one.

CallMeDaddy
02-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Name another successful QB currently in the league under 6'2". I'll give you Vick as a starter. Name another one.

Robert Griffin is 6'2" so why should I name ones under?

6'2":Tony Romo, Andy Dalton, Aaron Rodgers, and Kurt Warner(not in the league anymore obviously, but still not bad numbers)

But that's besides the point, the point was people who judge people by height only want to look at his height and completely ignore his talent. Drew Brees and Michael Vick were perfect examples of why you shouldn't judge people by their height.

Romy148
02-12-2012, 04:40 AM
Wow this topic is a waste of Time if Joe webb was a good as Griffin he would had won Heisman in college.!!

Valandui
02-12-2012, 04:45 AM

6'2":Tony Romo, Andy Dalton, Aaron Rodgers, and Kurt Warner(not in the league anymore obviously, but still not bad numbers)

But that's besides the point, the point was people who judge people by height only want to look at his height and completely ignore his talent. Drew Brees and Michael Vick were perfect examples of why you shouldn't judge people by their height.
When I said he might be, I meant that I seriously doubt it. In fact, I'd be surprised if he's even 6'. I sure as Hell don't think he's 220 lbs.

Valandui
02-12-2012, 04:47 AM
Wow this topic is a waste of Time if Joe webb was a good as Griffin he would had won Heisman in college.!!
Tim Tebow won a Heisman. Tom Brady didn't. Who would you rather have at QB?

CallMeDaddy
02-12-2012, 04:57 AM
When I said he might be, I meant that I seriously doubt it. In fact, I'd be surprised if he's even 6'. I sure as Hell don't think he's 220 lbs.

I still don't see why it matters how tall he is? If he's a successful Quarterback in the league It's not because his height(or lack thereof) and if he's unsuccessful it won't be because of his height(definitely not a major factor)

CallMeDaddy
02-12-2012, 04:58 AM

Bill Belichick could make could make Tebow an all-star. :lol:

Romy148
02-12-2012, 05:13 AM

thats not the point man the point is, how can u compare a guy who won Heisman and seems like a top of the line QB when it comes to talent and ability to a guy like Joe Webb is the back up to the back up in Minnesota???

KingDolphin57
02-12-2012, 06:07 AM
To the Op , obviously you haven't watched alot of Baylor Football games. I won't pile on though. I'll just say no Webb is not better or equal to RG3.

JCane
02-12-2012, 08:13 AM

Off-topic for a minute....

Mike Vick sucks as a QB. Pure dog ****. No pun intended.

jlfin
02-12-2012, 08:48 AM
QB success is based on accuracy/ball placement and decision making/anticipation. Mobility is a plus, but not necessary. Arm strength is over valued (the so called rocket armed QB)
Those that make quick decisions and place the ball where it needs to go are the ones who have success .
Those who don't, become career backups.
Comparing one QB's physical attributes and playing style mean nothing if you don't take into account what's between the ears.
Ryan Leaf reminded me of Marino coming out of college. Brash, confident and with a strong arm. The similarities ended there.
Jay Fiedler physically reminded me of Joe Montana (mobility, size, arm strength), But the similarities ended there.

Valandui
02-12-2012, 10:09 AM
thats not the point man the point is, how can u compare a guy who won Heisman and seems like a top of the line QB when it comes to talent and ability to a guy like Joe Webb is the back up to the back up in Minnesota???
Minnesota drafted him to move him to WR and were so impressed by his QB ability that they kept him there.

JCane
02-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Rather have Joe the Plumber.

Valandui
02-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Rather have Joe the Plumber.
Joe Webb is legit. RG3= Pat White 2.0.

lil tom digby
02-12-2012, 10:49 AM
To me, RG3 is the epitomy of a "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder" type player. Some see RG3 as a great athletic can't miss franchise QB. I see a smallish, athletic QB, with an elongated release who often breaks the pocket laterally because he has trouble seeing over his OL. He may end up being the greatest thing since sliced bread, I just don't see it.

TheWalrus
02-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Most of the top quarterbacks in the NFL didn't win a Heisman in college. Surely you don't think this is an important point.

DeathStar
02-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Cause he is so good that he is starting for the Vikings...

Oh wait...

Many on this site are content with mediocrity for another decade...Moore/Henne/Webb/Orton/etc all blow.

Vaark
02-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Cause he is so good that he is starting for the Vikings...

Oh wait...

Many on this site are content with mediocrity for another decade...Moore/Henne/Webb/Orton/etc all blow.

you throw Flynn in there also and you have zero QBs drafted in the first round and with the exception of Henne none drafted before the 4th.

GoonBoss
02-12-2012, 02:01 PM
RGIII is one of the smartest guys at the QB position I've seen. I've watched that kid come up from before high school. For point of referance, I graduated high school in the same town as Ric Mirer. He had "Golden Boy" written all over him. Not that it wasn't deserved to a degree....But I knew Mirer wouldn't respond well to adversity, and he didn't. Now, I also thought Leaf would be a safer bet than manning, because I default to armstrength, but when I know guys on a semi personal level, I'm a pretty good predicter of future performance.

I think RGIII is the mother ****ing goods.

Roman529
02-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Joe Webb? Wasn't he on Dragnet???

Jamaicankid21
02-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Joe Webb is legit. RG3= Pat White 2.0.

How many times did Pat White even throw for over 2000 yards in college. Yet RGIII throws for 5000 and they are similar. I can tell you one thing that are similar about them.

If it wasn't for skin color, Pat White would be known as a smaller mediocre version of Tim Tebow.

GoonBoss
02-12-2012, 03:26 PM
How many times did Pat White even throw for over 2000 yards in college. Yet RGIII throws for 5000 and they are similar. I can tell you one thing that are similar about them.

If it wasn't for skin color, Pat White would be known as a smaller mediocre version of Tim Tebow.

Thank you.

Finland
02-12-2012, 03:43 PM
To me, RG3 is the epitomy of a "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder" type player. Some see RG3 as a great athletic can't miss franchise QB. I see a smallish, athletic QB, with an elongated release who often breaks the pocket laterally because he has trouble seeing over his OL. He may end up being the greatest thing since sliced bread, I just don't see it.

I like when people actually back up there thinking, instead of saying. "He sucks" or "that's stupid" Right or wrong, good post.

Valandui
02-12-2012, 04:14 PM

Which is the same reason that he should stop being compared to Cam Newton.

daniel3
02-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Which is the same reason that he should stop being compared to Cam Newton. Not many people who know him did compare him to Newton. The ideal QB mold he would want to follow is Aaron Rodgers rather than Brees, Vick, Cam or anyone else. Thats why if we run a mirror of Green Bay's offensive system, he really would be a perfect fit for us given his strengths (and that he pans out that is).

Dolfan4life!
02-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Minnesota drafted him to move him to WR and were so impressed by his QB ability that they kept him there.
And then thought so much about that ability that they drafted Ponder in the 1st round and brought in McNabb. Pass.

JakeScott
02-12-2012, 04:58 PM
I agree with you or he could be like Webb...Just my 2 cets

iwastherein72
02-12-2012, 05:43 PM
QB success is based on accuracy/ball placement and decision making/anticipation. Mobility is a plus, but not necessary. Arm strength is over valued (the so called rocket armed QB)
Those that make quick decisions and place the ball where it needs to go are the ones who have success .
Those who don't, become career backups.
Comparing one QB's physical attributes and playing style mean nothing if you don't take into account what's between the ears.
Ryan Leaf reminded me of Marino coming out of college. Brash, confident and with a strong arm. The similarities ended there.
Jay Fiedler physically reminded me of Joe Montana (mobility, size, arm strength), But the similarities ended there.

Is there a way to thank you 1000 times over?

Talk about HITTING THE NAIL ON THE HEAD! WOW!

SkapePhin
02-12-2012, 07:02 PM

RGIII is 6'2, the same size as Aaron Rodgers and taller than Drew Brees.

Phinatic8u
02-12-2012, 07:21 PM
LOL @ Joe Webb

hooshoops
02-12-2012, 08:40 PM
i'd feel better about rg3's nfl odds if he had joe webbs body for contact...

finfan54
02-12-2012, 08:52 PM

and those of us who dont can actually take the truth of thousands of opinions on who the guy is and watch one game and see what the hype is all about. for me, its his smarts and character aside from the talent. You can have talent, but if you cannot be teachable and learn what a safety is doing or a defense is changing into or recognize a blitz and have zero work ethic to get you there, then you will not be good. fortunately, RG3 has it.

finfan54
02-12-2012, 08:57 PM

ok, we'll put you in charge of finding a 6th round guy who looks like a total dud in the combine who ends up being one of if not the best qb's of all time.

good luck with that.

RG3 is where he is because he wins. He wins with his arm and he wins with his legs and he wins with smarts, and he wins with desire, and he wins with lots of talent.

Valandui
02-12-2012, 09:43 PM
ok, we'll put you in charge of finding a 6th round guy who looks like a total dud in the combine who ends up being one of if not the best qb's of all time.

good luck with that.

RG3 is where he is because he wins. He wins with his arm and he wins with his legs and he wins with smarts, and he wins with desire, and he wins with lots of talent.
I picked Brady because he was picked around the same area as Webb. I could also have mentioned Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, John Elway, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Matt Stafford, Ben Roethlisberger, Kurt Warner, Ken Anderson, Dan Fouts, Johnny Unitas, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, Donovan McNabb, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Warren Moon, etc. Now look at the list of QBs that did win the Heisman. Only like six ever really did anything.

hooshoops
02-12-2012, 10:04 PM
i could care less about the win the heisman thing...thats the most worthless award in history when trying to project nfl success to winning that garbage hardware...

my biggest issue with rg3 at the next level is the man cannot survive in the nfl if he takes the kind of hits he took at baylor...he'll be eating his meals through straws...he does not have a body to take the kind of contact he took in college as a pro...he's gonna have to adjust his game...and play more in the pocket...which i'm not so sure i love his game for anyways

if this kid was 6 ft 5 and 240 lbs and built like a te then things would be different...but i see this kid taking the kind of contact mike vick takes in the pros with a pretty similar body and not quite the same change of direction and short area burst that vick possesses...rg3 is a fantastic athlete with a great arm and great wheels but he's also more of a straight line athlete who bails laterally a little too much for my taste...

fantastic physical talent though...no doubt...but the next cam newton he's not

Tureo
02-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Matt Barkley is listed at 6'2. This is a guy people would love to have. Does he suck too? If we are in position to take him next year, should we pass and just convert Hartline into a QB.

ticophin
02-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Want a real concearn? Watch his SLOWWW release...other than that, kid has ALL the tools, but that release can cause problems in the NFL, where you rarely have more than 3 seconds to get rid of t
he ball!

Valandui
02-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Want a real concearn? Watch his SLOWWW release...other than that, kid has ALL the tools, but that release can cause problems in the NFL, where you rarely have more than 3 seconds to get rid of the ball!There's also the fact that football is just one of the things he wants to do with his life. It's not worth moving up for him to have him just up and quit when he gets tired of it after a few years or takes too many big hits. Then you're SOL again.

Jamaicankid21
02-13-2012, 02:43 AM
I don't see the slow release people talk about. Look at the deep balls he throws in this video. Far from being slow. Look at the one vs Kansas. I think when he knows he has time, he slows down and places the ball better, but when he feels pressure I see a very quick release, especially on the move and it is on target a lot. I've seen a lot of RGIII and the kid has a good arm and it isn't "Slow"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpMWjmfwhCg

Small Frame? I never understood this because most QBs are skinny and thin. Look at Eli, Alex Smith, Tom Brady, Joe Flacco, Dalton. The O-Line is going to have to protect him no matter what the frame is. I don't see a lot of QBs in the NFL that are jacked like a Tim Tebow.. I mean Josh Freeman has a pretty good frame I guess.. The reason why Mike Vick gets hurt so much is because he REFUSES to slide. I've seen RGIII slide plenty of times in college. Actually the hit he got injured on this year with a concussion, he slid. He also proceeded to stay in the game for the next play and get a TD.

That being said he did play in a QB friendly system, he did have AMAZING weapons around him, but every qb in the draft has an uncertain future, even the almighty Andrew Luck. We don't know how Andrew Luck will compare in the NFL. Im all for RGIII, Manning, or Flynn. I think this team is a QB away and FREE AGENCY from competing. Every team has its holes IMO. I think we just get overly frustrated at times its because we want our team to be great while we been mediocre for years so its nagging at us.

Jamaicankid21
02-13-2012, 02:58 AM
I've seen a lot of RGIII this season because I have watched a lot of Baylor. My concern isn't the hits he is going to take because hes running because most of the time when he RAN the ball, its because it was a designed run, The kid has a great ability to extend the play with his feet and make throws which is usually does.

nd I like Cam Newton but I think a lot of people are over-hyping the guy. I've always thought high of Newton but I think people are starting to over-hype the guy a bit. To say he couldn't be as good as Cam Newton is a stretch. Cam Newton is good but he still has a ton to grow. People are making it seem like RGIII has to live up to Cam Newton when in reality RGIII has to play up to RGIII standards, because Cam Newton isn't that great of a QB right now himself. He is a terrific talent, but thats it, he has potential. RGIII doesn't need to be Cam Newton and run for 700 yards to be effective. Ill be just as happy if he sits back in the pocket, extends plays and throws the ball down-field like he does.. I don't need my franchise QB trying to run downfield, and lower his head like Newton and due a super man celebration. RGIII needs to be RGIII.

Jamaicankid21
02-13-2012, 03:00 AM
My biggest concern with RGIII, which is with EVERY other QB is adapting to NFL speed, and separating the NFL from College. It is one thing to be a great college QB, but its a whole different thing to be a great NFL QB like we all know. You can have the greatest Mechanics in the world and be a complete flop, and you could have some terrible mechanics like Rivers and be a pro bowl QB for years.

umpalu
02-13-2012, 11:58 AM
I am very excited about this off season and I love what RG111 might bring to our team,I started to think about other players in the league with similiar ability Joe Webb came to mind. He is a similiar athlete,however I think Webb is a better runner and RG111 is a better passer. If people want RG111 would we just be smarter to trade a 4th to Minnesota for Webb? It is not as sexy,but could give the same results

no