PDA

View Full Version : Laptop-shooting dad

BAMAPHIN 22
02-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Tommy Jordan, angry dad from North Carolina, became an overnight Internet folk hero for meting out gunslinging justice to his rebellious 15-year-old, who had recently posted a disrespectful http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/13/10397269-laptop-shooting-dad-after-21-million-views-says-hed-do-it-over-againupdate on her Facebook page. See Video:

DisturbedShifty
02-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Yeah. Kinda beat ya to this story.

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1064205591

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

cbreeden
02-13-2012, 04:15 PM
TJ went viral Friday and about the only thing left is to watch for the daughter's face to pop up on a milk carton.

NY8123
02-13-2012, 05:05 PM
I heard about this and can I say:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/02/Jokerclapping-1.gif

Kids are little brats these days, if my son threw a tantrum like that he knows the worst of his problems are me going postal on a laptop.

NY8123
02-13-2012, 05:27 PM
I heard about this and can I say:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/02/Jokerclapping-1.gif

Kids are little brats these days, if my son threw a tantrum like that he knows the worst of his problems are me going postal on a laptop.

Actually in thinking about this here are some of the punishments I have come up with over the course of my 13 soon to be 14 year old's life:

1) At age 3 or 4 (can't remember exactly). Pick up your toy. No. I said pick up your toy Grandma and Grandpa (we were at there house) have visitors coming over and the living room needs to be picked up. No. One last time son pick up your toys. No you can't make me! Which one of those toys is your favorite one? [he points to some nice toy I had bought for Christmas that year] I bend over and pick up the toy, walk over to the 400 degree wood stove, open it up and in the toy goes!

Burt to ****, completely. I say now, do you want me to pick up the rest of your toys or would you like to do it yourself? Guess what, I never had to ask my son more than once to pick anything up ever again to this day.

He gets in trouble at school he is about 9 or 10 at this point. We are at my parents house again around October and my dad just finished filling the woodshed (about 6 or 7 face cord). I say son, grandpa wants that whole first row pulled down on the ground, he didn't want it stacked! My son runs over excited that he can rip **** down and proceeds to dismantle the nicely stacked row that is 8' wide by about 8' high. Ok Dad I am do he says! Hold on there Cochise! Ends up Grandpa wanted that stacked after all and I messed up and now you can think about how you messed up in school until the row of firewood is stacked exactly like it was. Don't come in until you are done.

There was one other time that I made him empty the lake with a 5 gallon bucket for about a 1/2 hour but the morals of the stories have been retained and he took those lessons forward with him. I rarely have to punish him these days for anything, he is honestly a good kid.

So maybe my unorthodox parenting methods work , this guy is my new hero and I would shake his hand!

tylerdolphin
02-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Actually in thinking about this here are some of the punishments I have come up with over the course of my 13 soon to be 14 year old's life:

1) At age 3 or 4 (can't remember exactly). Pick up your toy. No. I said pick up your toy Grandma and Grandpa (we were at there house) have visitors coming over and the living room needs to be picked up. No. One last time son pick up your toys. No you can't make me! Which one of those toys is your favorite one? [he points to some nice toy I had bought for Christmas that year] I bend over and pick up the toy, walk over to the 400 degree wood stove, open it up and in the toy goes!

Burt to ****, completely. I say now, do you want me to pick up the rest of your toys or would you like to do it yourself? Guess what, I never had to ask my son more than once to pick anything up ever again to this day.

He gets in trouble at school he is about 9 or 10 at this point. We are at my parents house again around October and my dad just finished filling the woodshed (about 6 or 7 face cord). I say son, grandpa wants that whole first row pulled down on the ground, he didn't want it stacked! My son runs over excited that he can rip **** down and proceeds to dismantle the nicely stacked row that is 8' wide by about 8' high. Ok Dad I am do he says! Hold on there Cochise! Ends up Grandpa wanted that stacked after all and I messed up and now you can think about how you messed up in school until the row of firewood is stacked exactly like it was. Don't come in until you are done.

There was one other time that I made him empty the lake with a 5 gallon bucket for about a 1/2 hour but the morals of the stories have been retained and he took those lessons forward with him. I rarely have to punish him these days for anything, he is honestly a good kid.

So maybe my unorthodox parenting methods work , this guy is my new hero and I would shake his hand!

You sound pretty much like my dad. Dude threw my gameboy in the garbage when I was like 10. Cant even remember why. Pretty sure he asked me to do something and I just kept playing. Another time he made me sew a pillow for like a month because I didnt do a home ec pillow project and got an F. All sorts of weird stuff...Hed make me do work around the house without proper tools so it would take forever. Basically he didnt put up with disrespectful garbage.

rob19
02-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Kids take a long time to cognitively develop. Sometimes I feel parents can be a little too hard on their kids too early. It's actually very normal for a 1-12 year old to be selfish and egocentric, it's a stage in the formation of our cognition (some ofcourse take longer, to never). Not criticizing anyone, parenting is hard and I think most people do the best they can.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/02/F0913-1.gif

GoonBoss
02-13-2012, 07:13 PM
I don't give a crap about graphs and charts. Kids need to be shown early and often what behavior is acceptable and what is not. They can and will learn. The key to any disciplinary process is that it is done "hot stove" and in the interest of love.

GoonBoss
02-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Oh..And useing a gun to shoot the laptop was stupid, and very redneck. I question the laptop shooters capactity to safely own firearms.

rob19
02-13-2012, 07:40 PM
You're entitled to whatever method of parenting you like, I just think sometimes people either forget, or are ignorant to, the fact that they are dealing with a being that has considerably less cognitive capability than themselves.

NY8123
02-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Kids take a long time to cognitively develop. Sometimes I feel parents can be a little too hard on their kids too early. It's actually very normal for a 1-12 year old to be selfish and egocentric, it's a stage in the formation of our cognition (some ofcourse take longer, to never). Not criticizing anyone, parenting is hard and I think most people do the best they can.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/02/F0913-1.gif

I think the 12 to adult range on your scale is fatally flawed, half the people on this board lack the ability to reason abstractly and think in hypothetical terms.

I think the aforementioned fall more into the 2-6 year definition.

NY8123
02-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Oh..And useing a gun to shoot the laptop was stupid, and very redneck. I question the laptop shooters capactity to safely own firearms.

hey hey hey any respectable Redneck 1) would have had an open beer 2) used a shotgun with buckshot and 3) yelled "watch this" to his buddies just before shooting the PC by a bonfire at night.

If you're going to redneck things please do them in the proper fashion, you people are give us rednecks a bad name.

Bumpus
02-14-2012, 08:21 AM

... Pretty much what I was thinking. :up:

cbreeden
02-14-2012, 10:52 AM
You're entitled to whatever method of parenting you like, I just think sometimes people either forget, or are ignorant to, the fact that they are dealing with a being that has considerably less cognitive capability than themselves.

True.

GoonBoss
02-24-2012, 10:56 PM

Rob, in my generation boys were required to work. You may have grown up in an urban setting where it's different, but
in a rural setting, boys are required to become "men" in as much as they are required to accomplish tasks that men do
at an early age.

"Hot stove" discipline is effective, and has been proven to be effective.