PDA

View Full Version : Man Refuses DUI Checkpoint...

JCane
02-14-2012, 09:29 PM
...like a BOSS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILqc0DMh84k&feature=player_embedded

Bumpus
02-14-2012, 11:11 PM
I want my 1:55 back.

That was stupid. Two thumbs down.

Locke
02-15-2012, 12:08 AM
Not sure I understand why you wouldn't answer the question. This wasn't a case of police brutality or rights being trampled on or anything. Just seems like douchebaggery to me...

Gonzo
02-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Not sure I understand why you wouldn't answer the question. This wasn't a case of police brutality or rights being trampled on or anything. Just seems like douchebaggery to me...He doesn't have to answer. The officers handled it well. If they had any reason to suspect he was intoxicated, they could have taken further action, but they had no evidence. He's a douche, but he was under no obligation to answer. I have to hand it to the police for handling it the way they did. Very professional.

Scrap
02-15-2012, 07:46 AM
This guy is a scum bag. He is just trying to be difficult. He's one of those people who don't respect the police, but would be the first one screaming for them in a crisis situation.
The police handled this very well.

Locke
02-15-2012, 12:05 PM
He doesn't have to answer. The officers handled it well. If they had any reason to suspect he was intoxicated, they could have taken further action, but they had no evidence. He's a douche, but he was under no obligation to answer. I have to hand it to the police for handling it the way they did. Very professional.

Agreed completely, on all counts. He still should have answered. Bringing the camera along implies they were hoping it would escalate, which makes him seem like an even bigger douchebag...

Gonzo
02-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Agreed completely, on all counts. He still should have answered. Bringing the camera along implies they were hoping it would escalate, which makes him seem like an even bigger douchebag...
Sobriety checks fall under a "special needs exception" to the 4th amendment, just like random searches on subways and by the TSA. However, unlike the latter two in which you can refuse but not be allowed to board a flight or ride the subway, they don't necessarily have a way to stop you if you refuse to cooperate at a DUI checkpoint and they have no other signs of intoxication. He was lucky they didn't have a judge on site. In some states (I think Florida may be one of them), they will have a judge on site so if there is a refusal to cooperate, they can obtain a warrant on the spot.