PDA

View Full Version : They're back!!!

rrrrphin
02-15-2012, 03:01 PM
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2012/02/draft_winds_2012_kicking_off_w_1.html

looking forward to their coverage again this year

i especially like the info on whom the dolphins will have met with this year.

TedSlimmJr
02-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Another fairly good piece that did a decent job of summarizing where Miami is and where they've been. However, there's one thing that I disagree with, have always disagreed with, and will continue to disagree with no matter how many people don't realize it.... and that is an effort MUST be made to upgrade Miami's 3rd receiver spot. Davone Bess MUST be upgraded.

Miami needs more production from this position in regards to points. Davone Bess cannot score like you need him to. This is a guy who's played 64 games and only scored 11 TD's. He only averages a smidge over 10 yards per catch for his career.

260 career receptions, and only 1 that's broke the 40 yard mark.

I tried to tell CK last year that Bess will never score 5 TD's again in his life, and I'll still say it.

Here's the point though. If I were in charge of the Miami's personnel, I would find somebody who I view as a potential upgrade for that position. While also upgrading my punt return unit. I'm searching for a guy who's going to give me that mismatch out of the slot, and can score TD's for me. I need a guy who can take those quick slants and turn them into chunk plays and points. But also a guy who's a threat to put 6 on the board for me when I stick him back there to return punts.

Upgrading my punt return unit is going to be done by killing two birds with one stone, so to speak, by also upgrading my 3rd (slot) receiver, or by drafting a DB who also brings some outstanding return skills. Either way, I'm making it a priority.

I can agree with the notion that WR isn't a need in the 1st round for Miami, but as I've said before, I'd draft a guy like Joe Adams, T.Y. Hilton, Lavon Brazill, Eric Page, etc., who are all prospects that I've been fond of for a couple years for the most part, as an upgrade over Davone Bess. I want to give myself a legitimate shot at having an explosive offense.

Moving on to the OT's mentioned here, I've never really subscribed to the theory that Matt Kalil is as good as he's made out to be, although he's probably the best prospect in this subpar class, I'm not convinced he'll be the best in the long run. Mike Adams looks like the most natural left tackle out of all of them to me, and the guy most capable of being a completely dominant player at the next level if he shores up some technique issues.

Cordy Glenn is another who I'm really impressed with on film at left tackle, although he's not an ideal fit there in the NFL. I was actually surprised that the more I looked over his games, the better he looked to me as a prospect.

Kdawg954
02-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Another fairly good piece that did a decent job of summarizing where Miami is and where they've been. However, there's one thing that I disagree with, have always disagreed with, and will continue to disagree with no matter how many people don't realize it.... and that is an effort MUST be made to upgrade Miami's 3rd receiver spot. Davone Bess MUST be upgraded.

Miami needs more production from this position in regards to points. Davone Bess cannot score like you need him to. This is a guy who's played 64 games and only scored 11 TD's. He only averages a smidge over 10 yards per catch for his career.

I tried to tell CK last year that Bess will never score 5 TD's again in his life, and I'll still say it.

Here's the point though. If I were in charge of the Miami's personnel, I would find somebody who I view as a potential upgrade for that position. While also upgrading my punt return unit. I'm searching for a guy who's going to give me that mismatch out of the slot, and can score TD's for me. I need a guy who can take those quick slants and turn them into chunk plays and points. But also a guy who's a threat to put 6 on the board for me when I stick him back there to return punts.

Upgrading my punt return unit is going to be done by killing two birds with one stone, so to speak, by also upgrading my 3rd (slot) receiver, or by drafting a DB who also brings some outstanding return skills. Either way, I'm making it a priority.

I can agree with the notion that WR isn't a need in the 1st round for Miami, but as I've said before, I'd draft a guy like Joe Adams, T.Y. Hilton, Lavon Brazill, Eric Page, etc., who are all prospects that I've been fond of for a couple years for the most part, as an upgrade over Davone Bess. I want to give myself a legitimate shot at having an explosive offense.

Moving on to the OT's mentioned here, I've never really subscribed to the theory that Matt Kalil is as good as he's made out to be, although he's probably the best prospect in this subpar class, I'm not convinced he'll be the best in the long run. Mike Adams looks like the most natural left tackle out of all of them to me, and the guy most capable of being a completely dominant player at the next level if he shores up some technique issues.

Cordy Glenn is another who I'm really impressed with on film at left tackle, although he's not an ideal fit there in the NFL. I was actually surprised that the more I looked over his games, the better he looked to me as a prospect.

I could live all day with Reggie Bush in the slot and drafting Trent Richardson #9 with Daniel Thomas as the backup RB (or even in a trade). I agree alot with Bess not being "explosive enough" but part of me wonders if Welker and Bess switched places would Davone be a machine in the slot. I mean Wes isn't faster than Bess, you'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt on route running but Bess is not a slouch either and he is shifty and has the reliable hands another guy may not have.

I was intrigued with Golden Tate some when he came out, as an explosive slot option, and after watching Eddie Royal and now Victor Cruz, its just seems having a faster guy in the slot is becomming more and more important to the success of an elite passing offense.

TedSlimmJr
02-16-2012, 02:51 PM
I could live all day with Reggie Bush in the slot and drafting Trent Richardson #9 with Daniel Thomas as the backup RB (or even in a trade). I agree alot with Bess not being "explosive enough" but part of me wonders if Welker and Bess switched places would Davone be a machine in the slot. I mean Wes isn't faster than Bess, you'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt on route running but Bess is not a slouch either and he is shifty and has the reliable hands another guy may not have.

I was intrigued with Golden Tate some when he came out, as an explosive slot option, and after watching Eddie Royal and now Victor Cruz, its just seems having a faster guy in the slot is becomming more and more important to the success of an elite passing offense.

Wes Welker plays faster than Davone Bess. There may not be much difference between the two in terms of timed speed on a stopwatch, but Welker plays faster. Welker is really a special player when you get right down to it. I don't think Davone Bess is a special player no matter the situation. I think he's been a decent as a UDFA for a franchise like Miami who typically drafts poorly, which is why he chose to come here, and was able to carve out a niche for himself as a pro in the first place.

I think the issue finally reaches it's climax when you're having articles written about you telling you to keep your head up, because you can't get the football thrown to you... because you're just not capable of beating other team's LB's and nickel DB's, which is a position that's getting stronger and stronger in the NFL due to necessity. Bess had pieces like this written for him back during the season.

If you look at teams like the Giants, who's 3rd receiver is Mario Manningham... teams like the Steelers who's 3rd receiver is a guy like Antonio Brown (used to be Mike Wallace), teams like Green Bay, Atlanta with Harry Douglass, etc., etc.. you'll see that the 3rd receiver role is one that requires speed to be an explosive offense.

Nickel DB's are getting faster and more athletic. Thus requiring team's 3rd receivers to be faster and more athletic to keep up.

You're always looking to improve your roster, and that means fan favorites need competition too. If you're content and not getting better in this business, you're getting worse. You're going to get passed in a hurry.

jim1
02-16-2012, 03:39 PM

As to WR, I agree about Bess, but you're happy with our #2WR- Hartline? The guy is decent, that's the best that I can say. Maybe a #4 or #5 on some teams. I have high hopes for Clyde Gates, but that's what they are at this point- hopes.

Gates and Joe Adams would solve the speed problem- add Fleener at TE and now you're cooking with gas. Bess is what he is- a good but small and very slow slot WR and a subpar punt returner. He's a gamer, but if Joe Adams is available in the 3rd rd- bring it on.

1. DeCastro

2. Weeden

3. Joe Adams

4. Take your pick of who's available in a deep OT class: Massie/Mosely/Bergstrom/McCants/Reynolds/Allen

TedSlimmJr
02-16-2012, 03:52 PM
As to WR, I agree about Bess, but you're happy with our #2WR- Hartline? The guy is decent, that's the best that I can say. Maybe a #4 or #5 on some teams. I have high hopes for Clyde Gates, but that's what they are at this point- hopes.

Gates and Joe Adams would solve the speed problem- add Fleener at TE and now you're cooking with gas. Bess is what he is- a good but small and very slow slot WR and a subpar punt returner. He's a gamer, but if Joe Adams is available in the 3rd rd- bring it on.

1. DeCastro

2. Weeden

3. Joe Adams

4. Take your pick of who's available in a deep OT class: Massie/Mosely/Bergstrom/McCants/Reynolds/Allen

I wouldn't say that I'm happy about Hartline, but he's at least capable of lining up outside the numbers and making plays against man coverage against NFL DB's, even big plays down the field. I've always thought that people just expect too much out of Hartline.

What I need is the guy that gives me the mismatch out of the slot. I need a guy who I'm forced to get the ball to in that role, not one that I need to make excuses as for why I'm not.

It doesn't matter if it's the TE who's basically an overgrown wide receiver giving me the mismatch in the slot (which I've begged for years), or whether it's a legitimate weapon at the receiver position out of the slot. Either way, I need that in my offense.

Even better if I can have both. I can line my athletic TE up out at the X position and run some X-iso on a smaller CB, and have my dangerous slot receiver lined up at the Y on a linebacker or nickel DB. I then have two mismatches in my favor. The only way you're going to stop me from getting chunk plays and compiling 1st downs is to get pressure on my quarterback.

Speaking of quarterback, I'm probably going to need one of those too.

TheWalrus
02-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Gates has the potential to be the exact guy Slimm is talking about, but it seems to me he's more being groomed (or at least was) to take over for Hartline on the outside. Or maybe they just only played him out there because it's simpler mentally.

I tend to think Slimm is right on this one. Too often I saw Bess locked down with relative ease last season, even on plays where they were emptying out the middle of the field and giving him option routes. One prediction that might be relatively safe to make is that -- outside improved quarterback play -- if we become a dynamic offense next year it'll be because Gates has taken a big leap in his play. Not Victor Cruz big, but something of that kind.

MiamiMuss
02-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Bess is a chain mover and thats it.Theres no doubt we need a #2/3 wr and theres alot of good FA WR's this year.The 1 thing im curious on is could Hartline play the slot?

TedSlimmJr
02-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Gates has the potential to be the exact guy Slimm is talking about, but it seems to me he's more being groomed (or at least was) to take over for Hartline on the outside. Or maybe they just only played him out there because it's simpler mentally.

I tend to think Slimm is right on this one. Too often I saw Bess locked down with relative ease last season, even on plays where they were emptying out the middle of the field and giving him option routes. One prediction that might be relatively safe to make is that -- outside improved quarterback play -- if we become a dynamic offense next year it'll be because Gates has taken a big leap in his play. Not Victor Cruz big, but something of that kind.

That's a good point. I think Gates is the guy they hope developes into the role of being more of a legitimate option lined up outside as opposed to inside (slot). The issue with Gates that I tried to get across last year to everyone (even though some insisted that he was further along than he really was) is that he had almost no experience running routes off a stem. All he did was catch bubble screens or run streaks, with an occassional crossing route thrown in.

He had no idea how to set a DB up with his route running and create seperation for himself by doing the little things, like getting a DB to turn his hips the wrong way, etc. You're not going to learn how to run crisp routes and explode in and out of breaks by sinking your hips against man coverage if you never run routes off a stem. He was raw as a turnip.

Gates was always going to require 3 full years of experience and coaching in the NFL before Miami would really be able to assess what they have with him, and what he's capable of becoming. I thought he was a great pick, and I think he'll contribute more and more as he developes... and I don't say that about many players.

LouPhinFan
02-16-2012, 09:15 PM
This begs the question: If we draft a replacement, what do we do with Bess? What is his trade value?

3rdandinches
02-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Would R.Broyles in the 3rd not be a fantastic slot guy, he seems like a Welker type?

jim1
02-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Would R.Broyles in the 3rd not be a fantastic slot guy, he seems like a Welker type?

He blew out his knee. I think that Joe Adams would be a heck of a fit for us in that slot role in the 3rd round. Plus the guy is just a tremndous kick returner.

ckparrothead
02-16-2012, 10:22 PM
I think the reality is and has always been that Davone Bess is Miami's #2 wide receiver not its #3 wide receiver. If you look this year, Hartline ran 454 routes to Bess' 406 routes, but he was targeted only 66 times to Davone's 79 times.

If you're going to bring up the Green Bay situation, they have a very similar player there in Donald Driver who is even less explosive than Bess. If anything I'd like to see an upgrade at #2 wide receiver with Davone Bess bumped down more cleanly to #3, which is exactly what happened in Green Bay this year with the emergence of Jordy Nelson.

I never have and never will deny that the Dolphins' receiver situation can still use some work. But I'm not prioritizing it at the highest levels UNTIL we get a quarterback, and we're sure that the offensive system we have is going to be the offensive system we keep for quite a while. Both of those things really go hand in hand because getting the quarterback gives you the stability and foundation to build your system. We may have found the system we're running but we still need the quarterback.

In a most recent mock draft I suggested the Dolphins use a draft pick on Ryan Broyles or Joe Adams. Why? Because I don't really think the Dolphins are good to go with this receivers unit. We're going to have a new, unfamiliar system, and a new quarterback, and somewhere along the way at least one of these receivers is just not going to be meshing well. That's where you'd like to have a home grown system guy waiting in the wings and ready to step in.

But as for which guy isn't getting it, I'm not sure on that. I'm still inclined to take that bet on 5 TDs at some point in Davone's career. He scored another 3 TDs this year and our QB situation still isn't very good.

jim1
02-16-2012, 11:20 PM
I think the reality is and has always been that Davone Bess is Miami's #2 wide receiver not its #3 wide receiver. If you look this year, Hartline ran 454 routes to Bess' 406 routes, but he was targeted only 66 times to Davone's 79 times.

If you're going to bring up the Green Bay situation, they have a very similar player there in Donald Driver who is even less explosive than Bess. If anything I'd like to see an upgrade at #2 wide receiver with Davone Bess bumped down more cleanly to #3, which is exactly what happened in Green Bay this year with the emergence of Jordy Nelson.

I never have and never will deny that the Dolphins' receiver situation can still use some work. But I'm not prioritizing it at the highest levels UNTIL we get a quarterback, and we're sure that the offensive system we have is going to be the offensive system we keep for quite a while. Both of those things really go hand in hand because getting the quarterback gives you the stability and foundation to build your system. We may have found the system we're running but we still need the quarterback.

In a most recent mock draft I suggested the Dolphins use a draft pick on Ryan Broyles or Joe Adams. Why? Because I don't really think the Dolphins are good to go with this receivers unit. We're going to have a new, unfamiliar system, and a new quarterback, and somewhere along the way at least one of these receivers is just not going to be meshing well. That's where you'd like to have a home grown system guy waiting in the wings and ready to step in.

But as for which guy isn't getting it, I'm not sure on that. I'm still inclined to take that bet on 5 TDs at some point in Davone's career. He scored another 3 TDs this year and our QB situation still isn't very good.

That's an interesting point about Driver v Bess in terms of explosion, but I'll confess that my first thought was, "What?"

Driver isn't exactly a burner, but Bess is s-l-o-w. Not that I don't like the little guy and his quicks and competetiveness, but I'm not sure that I get the Driver comparison. I pulled a video for the heck of it- showing it here just for the release they show on replay at :30. I'd be thrilled if Bess released like that. Maybe I' wrong on this one, sure wouldn't be the first time, but Drivers' releases have looked pretty good to me over the years while bess is just- slow. Quick but slow.

Joe Adams solves the problems/deficiencies created by Bess imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYCmnqQQOHs&feature=related

ps it was nice to see the strong stance on Weeden in the Sun Sentinel today- if he isn't one of the best QBs out there with one of the best arms that I've seen in a while, and a good and smart guy to boot, then I'm looking at things the wrong way for sure. But I know what I see, and I see one hell of a good Quarterback. Dude was dead on- he's a top 3 talent in terms of pure NFL ability. He is THE answer and would be a steal for us in the 2nd rd- if he lasts that long.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-16-2012, 11:24 PM

Cordy Glenn is another who I'm really impressed with on film at left tackle, although he's not an ideal fit there in the NFL. I was actually surprised that the more I looked over his games, the better he looked to me as a prospect.Michael Floyd and Kendall Wright are two players Miami should consider in round 1. Wright would fit what you are looking for, Floyd could be a terror opposite Brandon Marshall. I guess I see receiver as a bigger need than most partly because you just never know with Marshall. I'm also a fan of Cordy Glenn and see him as a potential dominant right tackle.

TedSlimmJr
02-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Michael Floyd and Kendall Wright are two players Miami should consider in round 1. Wright would fit what you are looking for, Floyd could be a terror opposite Brandon Marshall. I guess I see receiver as a bigger need than most partly because you just never know with Marshall. I'm also a fan of Cordy Glenn and see him as a potential dominant right tackle.

I've been legitimately sold on Michael Floyd's talent for a long time, and sold on Kendall Wright since his junior season. However, the difference between Kendall Wright and somebody like Joe Adams or Ryan Broyles is... I don't view Kendall Wright as being confined to strictly operating out of the slot. I think he has all the skills to be a dynamic weapon even in a #1 WR role eventually. A Steve Smith type skillset.

Cordy Glenn I've always thought was a really good player, but probably best suited at guard, with the ability to play some swing tackle for you if need be. But the more I watch of him, the better and better he got playing left tackle as the season went on. To the point of being one of the best I've seen out of this draft class.

I don't think he's the best left tackle prospect, simply because he doesn't have enough experience under his belt there, and it's not his natural position. A guy that weighs 340+ pounds typically isn't going to be a clean left tackle prospect. Weight is always going to be an issue for a guy who's 340+ in college. However, it wouldn't suprise me if Cordy Glenn ends up one of the better offensive lineman out of this draft in the long run, and ends up a better player than a couple of the more heralded and hyped tackle prospects.

TedSlimmJr
02-16-2012, 11:58 PM

What are you waiting on? I already told you a year ago to make it light on yourself and name the stakes....

3rdandinches
02-17-2012, 12:05 AM
He blew out his knee. I think that Joe Adams would be a heck of a fit for us in that slot role in the 3rd round. Plus the guy is just a tremndous kick returner.

And that matters why? He will recover and was one heck of a receiver before hand, if he didn't have the injury he'd be a top of the 2nd round pick.

jim1
02-17-2012, 07:06 AM
And that matters why? He will recover and was one heck of a receiver before hand, if he didn't have the injury he'd be a top of the 2nd round pick.

3rd rd is to high for him after a recent major knee injury imo. I'm trying to think of similar recent examples and a WR out of UNC drafted by the Patriots come to mind, also O'Brien Schofield, OLB who went to the Eagles iirc. I'm guessing 5th rd for Broyles.

3rdandinches
02-17-2012, 08:55 AM
3rd rd is to high for him after a recent major knee injury imo. I'm trying to think of similar recent examples and a WR out of UNC drafted by the Patriots come to mind, also O'Brien Schofield, OLB who went to the Eagles iirc. I'm guessing 5th rd for Broyles.

That's fine by me, he's a talented player, I'd take a chance on him even if it meant not really seeing what he can do until 2013.

dtjp17
02-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Bess is a chain mover and that's it.Theres no doubt we need a #2/3 wr and theres alot of good FA WR's this year.The 1 thing im curious on is could Hartline play the slot?

We need to restructure Dansby, Marshall, sign Long to long term extension. THIS WILL FREE UP about 12-15 mil in cap space. The NFL is changed you need two number 1 receivers. We have enough pieces on Defense i would only sign Nelson and a guy like Lawson. But our money should be dedicated offense. we need to sign OL in FA and sign a guy like meachem and draft a WR in round 1 such as Alshon Jeffery or Michael Floyd and a TE in round 2. Fleener or Orson Charles.

QB- Moore
RB- Bush, Daniel T
FB- Messam
TE-either Fleener/Charles and Clay
WR1 Marshall, Floyd or Jeffery Hartline
WR2 Meachem, Gates, Bess
LT- Long
LG -Grubbs/Scott
C- Pouncy
RG-Incognito/Carey
RT-Jerry

That is one scary offense you have 6-7 targets on any given play

LDE- Cam Wake
DT- Odrick, ,Merling,Langford
RDE-Starks
LOLB-Lawson
MLB-Burnett
ROLB-Dansby
CB1-Davis
CB2-Smith
Nickel-Will Allen
FS-Nelson
SS-Jones

SF Dolphin Fan
02-17-2012, 01:44 PM
I've been legitimately sold on Michael Floyd's talent for a long time, and sold on Kendall Wright since his junior season. However, the difference between Kendall Wright and somebody like Joe Adams or Ryan Broyles is... I don't view Kendall Wright as being confined to strictly operating out of the slot. I think he has all the skills to be a dynamic weapon even in a #1 WR role eventually. A Steve Smith type skillset.

Cordy Glenn I've always thought was a really good player, but probably best suited at guard, with the ability to play some swing tackle for you if need be. But the more I watch of him, the better and better he got playing left tackle as the season went on. To the point of being one of the best I've seen out of this draft class.

I don't think he's the best left tackle prospect, simply because he doesn't have enough experience under his belt there, and it's not his natural position. A guy that weighs 340+ pounds typically isn't going to be a clean left tackle prospect. Weight is always going to be an issue for a guy who's 340+ in college. However, it wouldn't suprise me if Cordy Glenn ends up one of the better offensive lineman out of this draft in the long run, and ends up a better player than a couple of the more heralded and hyped tackle prospects.I'm with you. I love Wright's versatility. He was consistently beating his man deep this year in the games that I saw and opposing defenses would have to account for him at all times. Picking at 8/9 might be a tad high, but that would add another explosive player to the offense. Glenn could be a trade up option if he falls toward the end of round 1. Again, depends on what happens in free agency...but I would love to get Wright and Fleener with our first two picks.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-17-2012, 01:48 PM
That's fine by me, he's a talented player, I'd take a chance on him even if it meant not really seeing what he can do until 2013.Agree. If you can get a 2nd round talent in the 4th/5th range that could ultimately turn out to be a sizeable steal.

ckparrothead
02-17-2012, 02:06 PM
What are you waiting on? I already told you a year ago to make it light on yourself and name the stakes....

What's the point? What "stakes" are possible via the internet?

SR 7
02-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Difference btw driver and bess again is Driver plays much faster. Bess has zero accelation or quickness unless he is 100% in stride going at a slant. He's not a YAC or break away cat. He's a great 4th option that probably would get YAC there or a great I need a 1st dwn where r u bess option

Kdawg954
02-17-2012, 04:45 PM
I know one thing for certain, I don't wanna see Davone Bess on punt returns anymore. I mean seriously? 4 years? That just doesn't make any sense . . . and I like the guy and I still believe he can be a quality slot WR with the right QB and another sizeable outside threat or seam threat at TE . . . but he definitely is replaceable.

phinfan33
02-18-2012, 04:21 PM
I know one thing for certain, I don't wanna see Davone Bess on punt returns anymore. I mean seriously? 4 years? That just doesn't make any sense . . . and I like the guy and I still believe he can be a quality slot WR with the right QB and another sizeable outside threat or seam threat at TE . . . but he definitely is replaceable.I'm with you there. I cringe everytime he's back there returning punts. I like Davone,but we can definitely upgrade,and should as soon as possible.