PDA

View Full Version : T.Y. Hilton - FIU

JCane
02-16-2012, 05:28 AM
You draft gurus tell us about this dude.

Obviously, I follow South Florida high school football and state of Florida college football and this kid stands out to me. I recall him having some solid offers from schools like Florida but opted to stay home in Miami at FIU. He probably made the right decision to stay in Miami. I think benefited from Cristobal's coaching staff.

Kid can burn. Four years of college football under his belt. 4.48 40 time with ideal size for slot receiver services. But I'm more interested in his 20 yard dash and his 3-cone drill times. Not sure what he's projected at via Kiper/McShay/Mayock but I could see him having a nice combine and working himself into the early third round.

Awsi Dooger
02-16-2012, 08:07 AM
I love how smooth he is, all but ignoring threatening defenders while making the perfect subtle move to blow beyond them. Hilton has as close to zero wasted motion as you'll find.

In 2009 Alabama hosted FIU and Saban raved about sophomore Hilton before the game. He was trying to keep his players' focus on the opponent by emphasizing that #4 on FIU was a superior player to anyone they faced a week earlier in the high profile matchup against Virginia Tech.

JCane
02-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Good to see you posting more often again, brotha!

:iwantmore:

TedSlimmJr
02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
I've always liked the kid as a prospect going back to his sophomore year. We played FIU the 2nd game of the season that year and Dooger is right, Saban tried to get the point across to the players prior to the game that FIU had a kid that could hurt us (Hilton). It didn't take long for the players to understand exactly what Saban was trying to tell 'em when Hilton ran a kickoff back 96 yards for a touchdown in the 1st quarter. He outran every angle we had on that play.

As a matter of fact, I called the upset for FIU over Louisville earlier this season in my Upset Alert thread in the college forum because I knew they couldn't cover Hilton. 7 catches, 200 yards, and 2 TD's later, Charlie Strong was made a believer too. He didn't do it by route running either... he just flat out ran by everybody in Louisville's secondary, catching back-to-back touchdowns that both covered 75 and 80+ yards.

He's limited in how he'll be used in the NFL, he's strictly a slot receiver. He operates mainly out of the slot for FIU. I don't think he's benefited from Cristobal's coaching in terms of learning the details, he's still very raw at the little things. He's not a polished route runner, and he has to learn how to carry the football better in traffic. He has a tendancy to carry it out away from his body which allows defenders to knock the ball out. It happened in the bowl game against Marshall, etc.

Hilton is just a natural football player with a nice feel for the game and superior instincts. As I mentioned, his acceleration and top end speed can outrun almost any angle. It's rare acceleration and speed indeed, but he also has some shiftiness. I think it's a wise move to be more interested in the 3 cone and split times as opposed to his 40 yard dash. There's no question he's one of the fastest players in college football on the top end, but it's his ability to change directions and quickly accelerate that's going to determine how good of a football player he actually becomes in the NFL.

I don't think he's quite the caliber of Joe Adams, but Hilton is probably the next best thing in this draft. I think either one of these kids are the type that's capable of making a player like Davone Bess obselete, and Miami would benefit from it if they were to acquire one of them. The boost it would give the return game, and eventually the 3rd WR position is the type to take Miami's offense under a coach like Philbin to a level they'll currently never reach.

jim1
02-16-2012, 02:23 PM
I've always liked the kid as a prospect going back to his sophomore year. We played FIU the 2nd game of the season that year and Dooger is right, Saban tried to get the point across to the players prior to the game that FIU had a kid that could hurt us (Hilton). It didn't take long for the players to understand exactly what Saban was trying to tell 'em when Hilton ran a kickoff back 96 yards for a touchdown in the 1st quarter. He outran every angle we had on that play.

As a matter of fact, I called the upset for FIU over Louisville earlier this season in my Upset Alert thread in the college forum because I knew they couldn't cover Hilton. 7 catches, 200 yards, and 2 TD's later, Charlie Strong was made a believer too. He didn't do it by route running either... he just flat out ran by everybody in Louisville's secondary, catching back-to-back touchdowns that both covered 75 and 80+ yards.

He's limited in how he'll be used in the NFL, he's strictly a slot receiver. He operates mainly out of the slot for FIU. I don't think he's benefited from Cristobal's coaching in terms of learning the details, he's still very raw at the little things. He's not a polished route runner, and he has to learn how to carry the football better in traffic. He has a tendancy to carry it out away from his body which allows defenders to knock the ball out. It happened in the bowl game against Marshall, etc.

Hilton is just a natural football player with a nice feel for the game and superior instincts. As I mentioned, his acceleration and top end speed can outrun almost any angle. It's rare acceleration and speed indeed, but he also has some shiftiness. I think it's a wise move to be more interested in the 3 cone and split times as opposed to his 40 yard dash. There's no question he's one of the fastest players in college football on the top end, but it's his ability to change directions and quickly accelerate that's going to determine how good of a football player he actually becomes in the NFL.

I don't think he's quite the caliber of Joe Adams, but Hilton is probably the next best thing in this draft. I think either one of these kids are the type that's capable of making a player like Davone Bess obselete, and Miami would benefit from it if they were to acquire one of them. The boost it would give the return game, and eventually the 3rd WR position is the type to take Miami's offense under a coach like Philbin to a level they'll currently never reach.

Agreed, but especially about Joe Adams- he's a cut above. Hilton has wheels for sure, but down here in sofla we see the occasional TY Hilton highlights- impressive, but if you compare the straight line speed and shiftiness to Joe Adams... Joe Adams all the way.

I'd take either one, albeit Hilton I'd look for in round 5, Adams rd 3 and for sure in round 4.

Joe Adams- what Ted Ginn was supposed to be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byPjkmgUcWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY0u4REYshc&feature=related

rob19
02-16-2012, 02:37 PM
He looks taller than 5'10, was surprised when I saw the bio.

TedSlimmJr
02-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Agreed, but especially about Joe Adams- he's a cut above. Hilton has wheels for sure, but down here in sofla we see the occasional TY Hilton highlights- impressive, but if you compare the straight line speed and shiftiness to Joe Adams... Joe Adams all the way.

I'd take either one, albeit Hilton I'd look for in round 5, Adams rd 3 and for sure in round 4.

Joe Adams- what Ted Ginn was supposed to be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byPjkmgUcWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY0u4REYshc&feature=related

The problem with highlights is that you obviously don't get a feel for a kid's overall game. I like to see how these smaller, quicker slot guys react on the rare occassion they're faced with press coverage and whether or not they can beat it.

I watch a lot of film of all these kids and I see a lot of man beater concepts built in to help them (bunch formations, stack releases, etc.) I need to see which receivers can get seperation against man coverage and which one's can't. I've just about completed this assignment. I also see a lot of zone flood concepts to help receivers who don't have the instincts, natural feel for zones, or football acumen settle effectively against zone coverages.

Joe Adams is flat out deadly, but I'd caution against selling Hilton short. They're closer than you think.

jim1
02-16-2012, 03:24 PM
The problem with highlights is that you obviously don't get a feel for a kid's overall game. I like to see how these smaller, quicker slot guys react on the rare occassion they're faced with press coverage and whether or not they can beat it.

I watch a lot of film of all these kids and I see a lot of man beater concepts built in to help them (bunch formations, stack releases, etc.) I need to see which receivers can get seperation against man coverage and which one's can't. I've just about completed this assignment. I also see a lot of zone flood concepts to help receivers who don't have the instincts, natural feel for zones, or football acumen settle effectively against zone coverages.

Joe Adams is flat out deadly, but I'd caution against selling Hilton short. They're closer than you think.

Interesting. What I'm working on with Joe Adams is circumstantial evidence- highlights that blew me away, the fact that he's the SEC special teams player of the year and his receiving stats are nothing to sneeze at either. Granted, those are broad strokes and you are, properly, examininig the minutae of Adams' game.

What strikes me about Adams is what is imo a rare, rare, combination of quickness and straight line speed. TY Hilton- I expected more than I saw as per him being a true burner- he looks like a small 4.5 guy to me. I saw Adams run and thought that this guy looks more like 4.3, and he's threatening to run a 4.2. Speed isn't everything, but he's seriously fast and has major quicks.

Bess is just too damn slow for punt returns and is a slow slot WR, bottom line. I would venture to say that he's the slowest punt returner in the NFL- he has his role as a slot receiver, but serously, does he really scare any NFL defense?

Joe Adams would scare defenses as a WR, and he would immediately give us one of the best kick returners in the game. Even after the Senior Bowl it seems to me that Adams is a bit undervalued by what I've read out there.

TedSlimmJr
02-16-2012, 03:42 PM
I've been trying to get that point across about Bess the entire time. Dolphin fans can love him all they want, I'm just trying to tell 'em what needs to happen.

Joe Adams is certainly undervalued, I think Hilton is too.

As a matter of fact, I have the WR's broken down into 3 seperate groups like I typically do every year. Adams and Hilton are in a group that I consider Y-Slot/Versatility. In other words, undersized receivers who either operate mainly out of the slot in college, or will be confined to that in the NFL... but also bring the versatility and speed to be a factor in the return game and on special teams.

I think this group typically does tend to get undervalued every year... I tried to get that point across about guys like Randall Cobb last year.

Joe Adams, T.Y. Hilton, Lavon Brazill, Eric Page, Ryan Broyles, Devon Wylie, Jarius Wright, T.J. Graham, Marquis Maze, Bert Reed, and James Rodgers are the main one's that I'm focusing on out of that group, and are all on my draft board. Some of these kids are going to make sneaky good players for somebody.

jim1
02-16-2012, 04:04 PM
I hear you, and for me Joe Adams is the guy, absolutely a 3rd rd target who might not last that long.

Marshall- scares defenses as a physical presence and overall quality WR.

Hartline- avg wheels, avg WR

Bess- good slot WR, slow, small, bad punt returner

Gates- big wheels but not ready

Fasano- I like him, but avg wheels at best.

Synergistically, the group is slow. They need Gates, they need a Joe Adams, they need a Coby Fleener. Personally, I wouls suggest drafting Adams and signing Dwayne Bowe as a #2 opposite Marshall. Bowe is one heck of a WR imo- fast enough and a big, physical presence. But when you have Marshall, Hartline, Bess and Fasano in the game as your receiving weapons- it's pretty obvious that you have to add some speed to that mix. Bowe and Joe Adams would provide plenty of spark, and personally I'd love to add Coby Fleener to the mix- but not at the expense of Brandon Weeden. At TE I would take a look at Chris Cooley and Martellus Bennett, with reservations on both.

LouPhinFan
02-18-2012, 11:02 AM

Nah, Charlie was already a believer. He talked about Hilton all week leading up to the game because he knew we had no experienced DBs fast enough to match up with him or at least slow him down (thanks again Steve Kragthorpe). Adrian Bushell wasn't up to speed yet with defense. He had the talent to at least slow Hilton down, but there was no way he was ready to play yet having only joined the team from JC a couple of weeks before that.

Awsi Dooger
02-20-2012, 02:37 AM
I've been trying to get that point across about Bess the entire time. Dolphin fans can love him all they want, I'm just trying to tell 'em what needs to happen.

Joe Adams is certainly undervalued, I think Hilton is too.

Bess is a regulator. I posted that countless times the year we signed him. I was hoping he'd fail because if you settle for a guy like that it's emblematic of the problems with the franchise as a whole. In golf terms it's like being a scratch player in an event full of touring pros with +4 to +6 handicaps.

Deep down I knew darn well he'd make it. I despise overachievers like that. They are available cheap and it's too easy for a subpar general manager and coach to think they are steadily building the roster, when in reality they're killing it.

The Giants have the right idea, stockpiling components. It doesn't matter if they're fragile and erratic because they have the proper philosophical and personnel approach for this era. With the Dolphins it's been the opposite. They could have fluked 13-3 via supreme regular season intensity, yet been no threat in the playoffs due to flawed components.

I think Hilton and Adams are very close. Adams is more frantic and cocky. He reminds me of Randall Hill as a Cane, as a posted a month or so ago. Put Adams in that era and I think he'd swagger all over the place. Hilton is more low key but every bit as deadly. He'll swing the ball too much, not unlike Hakeem Nicks but even worse because his hands are not as large or strong. Adams is more prone to drops. But perhaps I think that because some of them have been high profile. Hilton is seemingly more injury prone.

datruth55
02-20-2012, 10:04 AM
I tried to say we needed to trade Bess for anything and draft a faster slot receiver last year and nearly started a riot with pitch forks coming to my door.

I do think Gates will have a big year working in this offense but I still believe we need another receiver to replace Hartline as the #2. Hartline just doesn't win enough one-on-one battles for me.