PDA

View Full Version : This Should be our guy hands down IMO!!!!....Anybody with me??? thoughts???

cleezy13
02-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Ryan Tannehill really burst on to the scene last season when he replaced Jerrod Johnson as Texas A&Mís quarterback. Tannehill had been playing wide receiver, and doing it quite well, before being moved in for the ineffective Johnson. Iíve included a video cut up of Tannehillís Cotton Bowl performance against LSU (part of our new Youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/NFLDraftMonsters), check it out!) so you can get a feel for what Iím talking about.
Size: At 6í4″ Tannehill has the appropriate height to play in the NFL, he should have no problems seeing over an NFL sized offensive line. His listed weight of 219 pounds shows that he needs to put between 10-20 pounds of mass on, to be able to take the every down punishment a quarterback in the NFL takes. Likely, Tannehill was in ďreceiver shapeĒ last season, and shed some weight to increase speed and quickness while playing the wide receiver position. It will be interesting to note whether or not he comes into this season with additional weight.
Arm Strength: Tannehill posseses the arm strength to make all the throws at the next level, including the ďdeep out.Ē While he doesnít have quite the cannon of a Ryan Mallett or JaMarcus Russell, his arm should be considered just a small notch below that ďeliteĒ level, and is quite capable of delivering the ball with the requisite velocity to any spot on the field.
Accuracy: The reason I included the cut up of the LSU game with this scouting report, is that it is one of the best instances of a game last year in which the quarterback was throwing his receivers open, despite excellent defensive coverage. Though there were some timing issues in that LSU game, his accuracy is impeccable for a guy who has played the position half a season at the NCAA level.
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://nfldraftmonsters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/RyanTannehill2.jpg)
Mechanical: Tannehill has a compact throwing motion, and quick release. He spins the ball cleanly, and only needs light correction on his throwing mechanics. Outside the pocket, his mechanics donít break down. Keeps his eye level up and down field when rolling out, and doesnít throw flat footed or off his back foot.
Mobility: Possesses strong athletic ability for the position. Started at wide receiver for the Aggies, before taking over for Jerrod Johnson at quarterback. Has good straight line speed. Will pick up the first down with his legs if needed. He isnít Michael Vick, but definitely on par with Ben Roethlisberger or Josh Freeman.
Pre/Post Snap Reads: He didnít call a lot of audibles last season. Iím not sure if he has the freedom to do it, or just didnít feel comfortable enough in that phase of the game yet. Post snap he keeps his eye level up and down field, will occasionally lock on to a receiver, but knows when to check down.
Intangibles: Probably Tannehillís strongest area. Iíve havenít seen a kid jump out at me with the kind of ďitĒ factor that Tannehill has since Phillip Rivers (who shares the distinction with Peyton Manning of having the highest grade Iíve ever given a prospect). Tannehill is a winner, multi-dimensional athlete, intelligent, and by all accounts a strong leader in the huddle.
Character: I couldnít find anyone with anything negative to say about Tannehill. He is by all accounts an intelligent (three time all conference academic award winner), hard working, and inspiring leader. Itís a rarity this day in age to get the kind of positive feedback about, I keep getting about Tannehill everywhere I go.
It will be interesting to see how Tannehill does with a full season to work with, and with teams with having more film on him. Based on his body of work so far, I would have absolutely no problem spending a second round pick on him, and I could see him working his way to the top of the quarterback rankings by seasonís end.

tay0365
02-17-2012, 02:51 PM
I like Tannehill, and I was hoping if we got Payton, we would also take a shot on Tannehill for our future, but with all the negative and bad news continuing to surface about Payton, it's looking more and more like Flynn.

Nobody knows more about Flynn then Philbin, and no one knows more about Tannehill then Sherman, so in the end, I think we will hopefully get the right man in Miami to be the future QB.

NYPhin24
02-17-2012, 02:57 PM
If it is between Flynn and Tannehill, IMO i would go Tannehill, he will be cheaper and has more upside, most people's thoughts on Flynn is that he is a cerebral QB with a limited ceiling and limited tools, Tannehill just seems to have more potential to be "great" while Flynn the general thoughts seems to be a Hasselbeck/Shaub ceiling of "good" but nothing special and wont "wow" anyone

Nublar7
02-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Tannehill is definitely a realistic option for this team, and not as a second round pick either. He is a realistic option at the #8/9 pick because I highly doubt he makes it out of the first round so Ireland might have to "reach" a little to land him.

I think he would 4th on the list for Philbin and Ireland:

1. Sign Peyton Manning
2. Sign Matt Flynn
3. Trade a boat load of picks for Robert Griffin III
4. Draft Ryan Tannehill

Personally I ultimately think the second option is the way we go.

foozool13
02-17-2012, 03:05 PM
I dont know man...the fact that he couldnt hack it at QB for 3 years until they were basically forced to shove him in there when they no longer had another choice is something that doesnt sit well with me.

2007 - He redshirted his first year.

2008 - He came in 3rd in the QB Competition behind Stephen McGee (http://www.finheaven.com/wiki/Stephen_McGee) and redshirt sophomore Jerrod Johnson (http://www.finheaven.com/wiki/Jerrod_Johnson).

2009 - He lost the QB competition to Jerrod Johnson and took exactly 8 QB snaps throughout the entire season.

2010 - He took over after 6 games of playing WR throwing 13 TDs and 6 INTs.

2011 - FINALLY was the QB for the team after they had no other choice/QB and had 29 TDs and 15 INTs with a 61% comp rating.

So the guy has basically 1.5 years of QB experience in college and you want to make him the Fins franchise QB?

Im a bit skeptical to say the least that this is THE GUY.

NYPhin24
02-17-2012, 03:10 PM
I dont know man...the fact that he couldnt hack it at QB for 3 years until they were basically forced to shove him in there when they no longer had another choice is something that doesnt sit well with me.

2007 - He redshirted his first year.

2008 - He came in 3rd in the QB Competition behind Stephen McGee (http://www.finheaven.com/wiki/Stephen_McGee) and redshirt sophomore Jerrod Johnson (http://www.finheaven.com/wiki/Jerrod_Johnson).

2009 - He lost the QB competition to Jerrod Johnson and took exactly 8 QB snaps throughout the entire season.

2010 - He took over after 6 games of playing WR throwing 13 TDs and 6 INTs.

2011 - FINALLY was the QB for the team after they had no other choice/QB and had 29 TDs and 15 INTs with a 61% comp rating.

So the guy has basically 1.5 years of QB experience in college and you want to make him the Fins franchise QB?

Im a bit skeptical to say the least that this is THE GUY.

Does this REALLY sound like the guy you want leading and NFL franchise.

I actually think it shows some positives that he got rejected as the starter twice, instead of sulking on the sideline, helped the team by converting to WR, then instead of being spiteful, when asked to go back to QB, after not starting for 3 seasons and playing a different position, slid right back in and started and did well for himself, i think playing WR will ultimately help him as a QB being able to have the perspective of the WRs he throws 2

phinzfan21
02-17-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm down with Tannehill. Think he should develope for a year though and let Moore take this year, if in fact we do end up drafting him. With a little fine tuning, coaching and experience, it seems the sky is the limit for this kid. The fact that we even discuss a guy that has as little time playing QB as he has, speaks volumes to me.

Valandui
02-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Tannehill is definitely a realistic option for this team, and not as a second round pick either. He is a realistic option at the #8/9 pick because I highly doubt he makes it out of the first round so Ireland might have to "reach" a little to land him.

I think he would 4th on the list for Philbin and Ireland:

1. Sign Peyton Manning
2. Sign Matt Flynn
3. Trade a boat load of picks for Robert Griffin III
4. Draft Ryan Tannehill

Personally I ultimately think the second option is the way we go.

I would hope that four came before three. Griffin is a way bigger project than Tannehill. That's even if his heart is in it, which is probably questionable at best.

CANDolphan
02-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Uh, How on earth is Griffin a bigger project than Tannehill? Have you even seen them play? Griffin is polished as a passer. He throws a tremendous deep ball, he has a pass first mentality, he's got the arm strength to make every throw, he's a tremendous worker, and he's exceeded at every level required through adversity and hard work.

I'm just blown away. Tannehill has zero pocket presence, he's got a lot of work to go with his pre-snap reads

TheWarriorFins
02-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Griffen > Tannehill

Matt Flyn < Tannehill

Realistically we will get Flynn and we won't draft grriffen and tannehill who knows...

The Confessor
02-17-2012, 08:30 PM
I would hope that three came before four. Griffin is a way bigger project than Tannehill. That's even if his heart is in it, which is probably questionable at best.

Unless it's some new Math I haven't heard of, 3 does indeed come before 4??????

The Confessor
02-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Uh, How on earth is Griffin a bigger project than Tannehill? Have you even seen them play? Griffin is polished as a passer. He throws a tremendous deep ball, he has a pass first mentality, he's got the arm strength to make every throw, he's a tremendous worker, and he's exceeded at every level required through adversity and hard work.

I'm just blown away. Tannehill has zero pocket presence, he's got a lot of work to go with his pre-snap reads

Griffen has NEVER seen the type of offense he would have to line up with. He has very limited time behind center. He won't have the spread he had at Baylor, and he didn't play many/any top defenses.
Whoever gets him will be lucky if he is ready to start at the beginning of his second year. I think he sits 2 years depending on where he goes actually....not saying that Tannehill is going to get it any sooner, cause he has miles to go himself, just don't think that Griffen is an instant NFL QB, cause he's not even close himself.

mrbunglez
02-17-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm all for drafting Tannehill.

SebasMiamiFan
02-17-2012, 09:37 PM
If we get Manning, I'm all for drafting Tannehill. He's really raw.

Valandui
02-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Unless it's some new Math I haven't heard of, 3 does indeed come before 4??????
I meant the prioritization of his list.

PBay Fin Fan
02-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Was our new OC the coach that did not start him for three years?

allsilverdreams
02-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Ok if this is the way I would be all for trading back picking up extra picks n drafting him mid to late first.only problem is we can't keep reaching or guessing or praying a guy is more than he really is.We have to be dam sure he is who we think he is

jazz015
02-17-2012, 11:37 PM
People seem to forget that in A&M's biggest games this guy choked hard. Some of it was the team but his stats would have me looking at other guys.

BARF
02-17-2012, 11:45 PM
if they are serious about him they need to trade down and pick up another pick i don't think he is worth picking 8 or 9

3rdandinches
02-18-2012, 12:15 AM
if they are serious about him they need to trade down and pick up another pick i don't think he is worth picking 8 or 9

So someone else can pick him?

If he's your guy draft him at 8/9!

Hawaii 5-0
02-18-2012, 12:21 AM
The perfect scenario for me would be to sign Manning, trade back to draft Tannehill in the 1st and TE Fleener in the 2nd, and get some help for the right side of the off line in FA and in the 3rd/4th rounds. Cut Bell and Fasano, sign reggie Nelson. My dream offseason!!!

mdolp1
02-18-2012, 02:38 AM
I like tannehill as well! I would love to see us sign Flynn and draft tannehill to go with Moore!

The Confessor
02-18-2012, 08:53 AM
I meant the prioritization of his list.

Great, now I'm REALLY cornfuzed.

I thought you meant that 4 should come before 3 in regards to prioritization.:confused:

PS: Doesn't take much to cornfuze me.

enduro
02-18-2012, 08:59 AM
your are correct. if we draft Tannehil it will not be to start his rookie year. He has great upside but damn he needs some work.

SnakeoilSeller
02-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Flynn would be able to start right away, though I still think it would be a competition with Moore to start. Tannehill will not start right away. I like Tannehill, but I do think he would be our 4th option.

insomnia411
02-18-2012, 09:51 AM
I would hope that four came before three. Griffin is a way bigger project than Tannehill. That's even if his heart is in it, which is probably questionable at best.

Yeah, besides the fact that Griffin played in the spread I have no clue what you're basing that on. Cam Newton was able to succeed in the NFL after running nothing but the spread in college, so I don't really see that being an issue. We're not going to run a generic offense with a guy like Griffin anyway, just like Carolina does we would implement some spread and QB running plays.

The Confessor
02-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Yeah, besides the fact that Griffin played in the spread I have no clue what you're basing that on. Cam Newton was able to succeed in the NFL after running nothing but the spread in college, so I don't really see that being an issue. We're not going to run a generic offense with a guy like Griffin anyway, just like Carolina does we would implement some spread and QB running plays.

AND, just because Cam Newton happens to be the one and only QB to predominantly run the spread in college, and then come in and be fairly successful, doesn't mean that Griffen will have that same ability.

I saw LOTS of Griffen this last year, and while he has a few things going his way:
Character
Intelligence
Loads of athletic ability

There was very little that suggested he was NFL ready....very very very little.

The kid is going to be a several year project. If he falls to within a few picks for us, great, go after him.
If not, go somewhere else.

LANGER72
02-18-2012, 10:57 AM
After watching RGIII, I was impressed with his passing ability. He makes all the throws. I think he could start by year 2, and get some playing time in year 1. Just my .02

Valandui
02-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Cam Newton is a legit 6'5" and 250 lbs, way stronger, way more elusive of a runner, and way more polished as a passer. The ONLY knock against Cam was his ability to pick up an NFL offense. Tannehill also has prototypical size (6'4" and 220 lbs), a ton of athleticism, very good arm strength, is very intelligent, and he comes out of a pro style offense. If you look at his learning curve of how good he was after such a limited time of starting, it's VERY promising. The biggest thing is that he's dedicated to football. You can't definitively say the same about Griffin. He's just as likely to quit football after a short period of time because he just has too much other **** that he wants to do with his life. That's great for him as a person, but it leaves your team high and dry after you traded the farm for him.

The Confessor
02-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Cam Newton is a legit 6'5" and 250 lbs, way stronger, way more elusive of a runner, and way more polished as a passer. The ONLY knock against Cam was his ability to pick up an NFL offense. Tannehill also has prototypical size (6'4" and 220 lbs), a ton of athleticism, very good arm strength, is very intelligent, and he comes out of a pro style offense. If you look at his learning curve of how good he was after such a limited time of starting, it's VERY promising. The biggest thing is that he's dedicated to football. You can't definitively say the same about Griffin. He's just as likely to quit football after a short period of time because he just has too much other **** that he wants to do with his life. That's great for him as a person, but it leaves your team high and dry after you traded the farm for him.

Sorry, but I completely disagree.

Griffen is smart enough to understand his window of being in the NFL is only so long. He will take advantage of that and play as long as he is able as he can go and become a Lawyer or whatever else eventually. He is much smarter than you are giving him credit for......

Vaark
02-18-2012, 11:32 AM
lulz

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/02/9hukch-1.jpg

rcasellas64
02-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Sign Flynn in free agency and draft Tannehill either late first or 2nd round. Same way Greenbay drafted Rodgers in 1st while they had Farve. We can develope as a good solid backup in case Flynn flops or gets hurt. He can always be a possible trade bait in the future.

Valandui
02-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Sorry, but I completely disagree.

Griffen is smart enough to understand his window of being in the NFL is only so long. He will take advantage of that and play as long as he is able as he can go and become a Lawyer or whatever else eventually. He is much smarter than you are giving him credit for......I'm not saying he isn't. I'm just saying that he isn't necessarily dedicated to football. If you listen to interviews, football is just one of the things he wants to do with his life. To borrow a line of argument from CK, his rookie contract is probably more money than he could ever need in life. He also wants to be in the Olympics. He also want to be a lawyer. He also wants to be a sports agent. Who's to say he doesn't just say the Hell with it all after taking a few too many big hits.

MiZFiT
02-18-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm not saying he isn't. I'm just saying that he isn't necessarily dedicated to football. If you listen to interviews, football is just one of the things he wants to do with his life. To borrow a line of argument from CK, his rookie contract is probably more money than he could ever need in life. He also wants to be in the Olympics. He also want to be a lawyer. He also wants to be a sports agent. Who's to say he doesn't just say the Hell with it all after taking a few too many big hits.

Because that's not in his blood.

Valandui
02-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Because that's not in his blood.
Supposedly he had to be convinced to play football this past season at all.

Geforce
02-18-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm not saying he isn't. I'm just saying that he isn't necessarily dedicated to football. If you listen to interviews, football is just one of the things he wants to do with his life. To borrow a line of argument from CK, his rookie contract is probably more money than he could ever need in life. He also wants to be in the Olympics. He also want to be a lawyer. He also wants to be a sports agent. Who's to say he doesn't just say the Hell with it all after taking a few too many big hits.
I'm not sure this is true anymore. If Griffin still wanted to be in the Olympics, I doubt he would have chosen football over track three years ago, especially after he tore his ACL playing football.

I see nothing wrong with Griffin wanting to be a lawyer. It didn't stop Steve Young from being one helluva football player. Also being a lawyer goes hand in hand with being a sports agent.

KingDolphin57
02-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Sign Flynn in free agency and draft Tannehill either late first or 2nd round..Don't agree. Either Flynn's your guy or Tannehill , not both. If this were to happen it screams your not confident in your Qb situation going forward. Personally I don't want Flynn or Tannehill. But if we happen to get one of them. We have to select a position of need other than Qb in the draft.

CirclingWagons
02-19-2012, 12:15 PM
big 12 qbs blow

Tigers2003
02-19-2012, 04:36 PM
If it is between Flynn and Tannehill, IMO i would go Tannehill, he will be cheaper and has more upside, most people's thoughts on Flynn is that he is a cerebral QB with a limited ceiling and limited tools, Tannehill just seems to have more potential to be "great" while Flynn the general thoughts seems to be a Hasselbeck/Shaub ceiling of "good" but nothing special and wont "wow" anyone

I am in the opposite corner. Flynn has proven he can play at a high level in the NFL in the limited opportunities he has enjoyed. He won a NC as a CFB qb in just 1 year as a starter. Tannehill has a CFB qb has wilted in big games and thrown too many INTs. Between the two pay Flynn the money and pass on Tannehill.

Tigers2003
02-19-2012, 04:41 PM
People seem to forget that in A&M's biggest games this guy choked hard. Some of it was the team but his stats would have me looking at other guys.

This. One indicator that has held up through the ages is judging how a college QB plays in big games, including bowl games. They may or may not have a lot of talent around them. But, were they the cause of a lot of TOs or not? Did they show the ability to rally the team from behind if they were in a comeback situation? Did they make the throws that would be required of them in the NFL even if their team lost? Did they read the blitz well and went through progressions regardless of the pass rush at the time?

Tannehill did not succeed well in the big games. RGIII shined like gold this past year. Spread or no spread. I would take RGIII at least as a second option. Tannehill I would pass to the next team.

jonanthans
02-19-2012, 05:00 PM

Yup. All Tannehills stats came against the cupcakes of the schedule. Many of the Tannehill supporters obviously have not watched him play much. Also, just like Philbin will give you a correct read on how good Flynn really is, Mike Sherman was RTannehills coach and had him on the bench until he was forced to play him.

2011 Game Log
Passing
Rushing

DATE
OPP
RESULT
CMP
ATT
YDS
CMP%
LNG
TD
INT
RAT
ATT
YDS
AVG
LNG
TD

9/4
Southern Methodist (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2567/southern-methodist-mustangs)
W 46-14 (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312470245)

9/17
Idaho (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/70/idaho-vandals)
W 37-7 (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312600245)

9/24
Oklahoma State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/197/oklahoma-state-cowboys)
L 30-29 (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312670245)

10/1
@Arkansas (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/8/arkansas-razorbacks)
L 42-38 (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312740008)

10/8
@Texas Tech (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2641/texas-tech-red-raiders)
W 45-40 (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312812641)

10/15
Baylor (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/239/baylor-bears)
W 55-28 (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312880245)

10/22
@Iowa State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/66/iowa-state-cyclones)
W 33-17 (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312950066)

10/29
Missouri (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/142/missouri-tigers)
L 38-31 (OT) (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=313020245)

11/5
@Oklahoma (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/201/oklahoma-sooners)
L 41-25 (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=313090201)

11/12
@Kansas State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2306/kansas-state-wildcats)
L 53-50 (4OT) (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=313162306)

11/19
Kansas (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2305/kansas-jayhawks)
W 61-7 (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=313230245)

11/24
Texas (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/251/texas-longhorns)
L 27-25 (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=313280245)

MEINEKE CAR CARE BOWL OF TEXAS

12/31
@Northwestern (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/77/northwestern-wildcats)
W 33-22 (http://www.finheaven.com/ncf/recap?gameId=313650077)

Valandui
02-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Great, now I'm REALLY cornfuzed.

I thought you meant that 4 should come before 3 in regards to prioritization.:confused:

PS: Doesn't take much to cornfuze me.

I meant that we should draft Tannehill before trading up for Pat White 2.0.