PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sherman thinks Tanneyhill is a winner

jim1
02-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Leave it to Omar:

"Tannehill is clearly the third best quarterback in the 2012 draft. He’s behind Stanford’s Andrew Luck and Baylor’s Robert Griffin III, and is the last of the first-round worthy quarterbacks.

The fact he’s tall (6-4), athletic, accurate, and has good feet should push him up the draft boards once his broken foot heals.
His skills set should make him the ideal west coast quarterback.

Question is, does his history with Sherman make him a good fit for the Dolphins, which will either address the position in free agency or the draft?

I’m not ready to say Tannehill is THE ANSWER for the Dolphins. I still have far too many questions – can he accurately throw the deep ball, can he kill, what’s his upside considering he’s only started for less than two seasons."

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2012/02/mike-sherman-thinks-ryan-tannehills-a-winner.html

note: clearly the third best QB prospect my a**. Looks to me like Tanehill has a very low release point, looks to be at shoulder pad level- good thing he's 6-4. Does he actually do the punting for Texas A&M? If so, interesting. Good height, good speed, but I'm not terribly impressed with his pocket presence. Pretty good accuracy, but that's not an arm that I can get excited about.

Because of his size/speed, intangibles including being a very smart guy and uspide because he's been playing QB for only two years, I could see this guy as a 2nd rd pick. But I wouldn't be particularly thrilled with the selection, it wouldn't stoke me as drafting Brandon Weeden would, or Tyler Wislon if he were coming out this year. Ryan Tannehill- kind of like him, definitely don't love him as a prospect.

The Confessor
02-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Can somebody please just take Oh=Mahr's typewriter away....

jim1
02-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Can somebody please just take Oh=Mahr's typewriter away....

Agreed. But the way I look at it is this: Philbin knows Flynn, Sherman knows Tannehill and Weeden's talent speaks for itself. So I'm hoping that they make the right decision, and whatever decision it may be I can have some peace with it. Ireland having last say on the decision doesn't give me a warm fuzzy, and Flynn- if he's signed for huge money and fails- it will be a major setback- the talk of a $50 million contract for a former 7th rd QB with a decent arm, decent size and a miniscule track record amazes me. Forget the 2nd round draft pick given to the Eagles for AJ Feeley, a screwing worthy of being edited into the movie "Deliverance". IF we sign Flynn to a $50 million dollar contract and it turns out to be a vertical move as per Moore, that will be an ENORMOUS failure- and the reason why can be summed up in two words- opportunity cost.

The best player, the best value, the best solution imo remains Brandon Weeden in the 2nd round. And you hold your breath waiting and praying for him to be available in the 2nd rd. Washington sitting at #39 petrifies me, and if Rex Ryan is done with Mark Sanchez he will have no better option in terms of replacing Sanchez than Weeden.

Weeden's age cuts both ways- better because you have a mature man who I think will be ready to step in and lead your team- worse because, well, the dude is 28. Some positions are more plug and play than QB, I think that most would agree- the silver lining is Weeden's maturity. The problem is Weeden's age, as has been discussed ad nauseum. But when all is said and done I choose Weeden because of a few factors:

1. Dude is a top 5 talent, bottom line. Smart, mature, great size, great in the pocket, nimble feet and one of the best arms I've seen, period.

2. He will provide the best value of the entire draft imo because of a draft slide due to his age.

3. The Dolphins need to get a QB and Weeden is imo, after Luck, EASILY the second best option available. My personal opinion is that, talent wise, Weeden and Luck are a lot closer than most people think.

4. Weeden will turn 36 in his EIGHTH year in the league- I can live with that.

Again, to paraphrase John Madden- don't worry about the horse being old, just load the wagon.

1. David DeCastro
2. Brandon Weeden
3. Joe Adams

Gonzo
02-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Agreed. But the way I look at it is this: Philbin knows Flynn, Sherman knows Tannehill and Weeden's talent speaks for itself. So I'm hoping that they make the right decision, and whatever decision it may be I can have some peace with it. Ireland having last say on the decision doesn't give me a warm fuzzy, and Flynn- if he's signed for huge money and fails- it will be a major setback- the talk of a $50 million contract for a former 7th rd QB with a decent arm, decent size and a miniscule track record amazes me. Forget the 2nd round draft pick given to the Eagles for AJ Feeley, a screwing worthy of being edited into the movie "Deliverance". IF we sign Flynn to a $50 million dollar contract and it turns out to be a vertical move as per Moore, that will be an ENORMOUS failure- and the reason why can be summed up in two words- opportunity cost.

The best player, the best value, the best solution imo remains Brandon Weeden in the 2nd round. And you hold your breath waiting and praying for him to be available in the 2nd rd. Washington sitting at #39 petrifies me, and if Rex Ryan is done with Mark Sanchez he will have no better option in terms of replacing Sanchez than Weeden.

Weeden's age cuts both ways- better because you have a mature man who I think will be ready to step in and lead your team, worse because, well, the dude is 28. Some positions are more plug and play than QB, I think that most would agree- the silver lining is Weeden's maturity. The problem is Weeden's age, as has been discussed ad nauseum. But when all is said and done I choose Weeden because of a few factors:

1. Dude is a top 5 talent, bottom line. Smart, mature, great size, great in the pocket, nimble feet and one of the best arms I've seen, period.
2. He will provide the best value of the entire draft imo because of his age.
3. The Dolphins need to get a QB and Weeden is imo, after Luck, EASILY the second best option available. My personal opinion is that, talent wise, Weeden and Luck are a lot closer than most people think.
4. Weeden will turn 36 in his EIGHTH year in the league- I can live with that.

Again, to paraphrase John Madden- don't worry about the horse being old, just load the wagon.

1. David DeCastro
2. Brandon Weeden
3. Joe AdamsI'd be pretty happy with that draft...(DeCastro is the only lineman worth that spot in my opinion).

jim1
02-19-2012, 01:57 PM
I'd be pretty happy with that draft...(DeCastro is the only lineman worth that spot in my opinion).

Agreed. There's another thread about a potential Bengals trade, something that I've been pondering for quite some time. So much depends on where Murtha and John Jerry stand, but say we did the trade and the Jets took DeCastro at #16- God forbid they take Weeden at #16. But if that were to happen, I'd be looking at Cordy Glenn. It's not a quesiton of being focused on the OL, it's a question of value. Glenn can easily play both G and RT imo. And I'm just throwing this out there, for better or worse- plenty of folks think that DeCastro could make one heck of a RT- personally I'd keep him at Guard and be very, very happy for the next dozen of years or so.

The dynamics of a possible trade down with the Bengals- imo boils down to:

1. How much do you want Brandon Weeden, and what are you willing to do/sacrifice to get him?

2. How much do you want David DeCastro and will you risk him not falling to #17?

2. How much do you want Coby Fleener with that extra pick generated?

So then you have potentially:

1. David DeCastro
1. Brandon Weeden
2. Coby Fleener
3. Joe Adams

Sounds great to me, but the best laid plans of mice and men...

SF Dolphin Fan
02-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Agreed. There's another thread about a potential Bengals trade, something that I've been pondering for quite some time. So much depends on where Murtha and John Jerry stand, but say we did the trade and the Jets took DeCastro at #16- God forbid they take Weeden at #16. But if that were to happen, I'd be looking at Cordy Glenn. It's not a quesiton of being focused on the OL, it's a question of value. Glenn can easily play both G and RT imo. And I'm just throwing this out there, for better or worse- plenty of folks think that DeCastro could make one heck of a RT- personally I'd keep him at Guard and be very, very happy for the next dozen of years or so.

1. How much do you want Brandon Weeden, and what are you willing to do/sacrifice to get him?

2. How much do you want David DeCastro and will you risk him not falling to #17?

1. David DeCastro
1. Brandon Weeden
2. Coby Fleener
3. Joe Adams

Sounds great to me, but the best laid plans of mice and men...That would be a dream haul. I just don't think DeCastro will fall that much, but you never know. I also haven't heard about RT in regards to DeCastro, but at 6-5 he has the size and there's no question about his quickness. Interesting to say the least. Coby Fleener is one of my favorite prospects in the draft. Joe Adams is very talented, but really inconsistent. Maybe an issue of better coaching for him??

MiamiMuss
02-19-2012, 03:18 PM
i would hope that your former coach backs you going into the draft.No thanks to Tannehill.

The Confessor
02-19-2012, 03:19 PM

1. David DeCastro
1. Brandon Weeden
2. Coby Fleener
3. Joe Adams

Sounds great to me, but the best laid plans of mice and men...

That would be the draft of a lifetime right there!!!!

Throw Super Mario in as an FA and I think the entire league takes notice

jim1
02-19-2012, 03:47 PM
That would be a dream haul. I just don't think DeCastro will fall that much, but you never know. I also haven't heard about RT in regards to DeCastro, but at 6-5 he has the size and there's no question about his quickness. Interesting to say the least. Coby Fleener is one of my favorite prospects in the draft. Joe Adams is very talented, but really inconsistent. Maybe an issue of better coaching for him??

The Alabama guy Slimm is a better poster to ask, knows SEC football inside and out. My case for Adams:

1. Dude is extemely fast and quick- wouldn't surprise me at all if he runs a sub 4.3 at his pro day. Serious quicks, too- what Ted Ginn was supposed to be, and easily a better prospect imo.

2. 2011 SEC Special Teams player of the year- Davonne Bess- kiss your punt return duties good bye. God I love the sound of that...

3. Adams can be the slot receiver/threat that we need. Bess might have a role on this team, but that role does not include scaring defenses. We need a slot WR who will scare the bejesus out of opposing defenses, and Bess most certainly does not do that.

4. Dude has caught for 2400 yards and 17 TDs at Arkansas- the guy can play the position and will give Miami a second deep threat- the other being the relatively untested and unproven Clyde Gates. Btw I reject any notion that there's a redundancy as per Gates and Jones- ain't the case.

Fleener- just what the doctor ordered at TE- speed, height, deep threat, good blocker, hands, smarts. Gotta love a guy who is 6-6, can block and can run- hey someone has to compete with Gronk...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxW2mL8BbOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byPjkmgUcWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M8sU8f_Aes&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd3YzkQPIHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VntqR5-2Ng

Valandui
02-19-2012, 11:55 PM
I'll agree that he's the third best QB in the draft. However, he's behind Luck and Weeden, not Luck and Griffin.

DcRy82
02-20-2012, 12:08 AM
Tannehill's better than RGIII ??

Roman529
02-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Would it be against the rules to sign Matt Flynn and draft Tannehill ?....one of them has to be our next franchise QB???

Valandui
02-20-2012, 12:52 AM
Tannehill's better than RGIII ??
Yup.

The Confessor
02-20-2012, 07:01 AM
Would it be against the rules to sign Matt Flynn and draft Tannehill ?....one of them has to be our next franchise QB???

I love your vote of confidence so clearly outlined by question marks :lol:

MadDog 88
02-20-2012, 12:56 PM
I really, really, really like Weeden and think he is hands down the second best QB in this draft. Unfortunately I don't think he is in play for the Dolphins. My guess is they chase Manning and if that's the case, select Tannehill for the future. If they go with Flynn I would still double down on Tannehill. If they strikeout with Manning and Flynn and I would take both Tannehill in the first then Weeden in the second round.

No matter the combination I very strongly believe they need to double down on that QB position.

MiamiMuss
02-20-2012, 05:42 PM
I'll agree that he's the third best QB in the draft. However, he's behind Luck and Weeden, not Luck and Griffin.

2 question

1-are you Mike Sherman?

and 2- are you out of your mind?

I watched 3 games of Tannehill yesterday AGAIN to see what every1 on this forum is drooling over Tannehill and theres only 1 thin i like about him.He can scrammble.

Theres not 1 thing he did better then RGIII.

Valandui
02-20-2012, 06:29 PM
2 question

1-are you Mike Sherman?

and 2- are you out of your mind?

I watched 3 games of Tannehill yesterday AGAIN to see what every1 on this forum is drooling over Tannehill and theres only 1 thin i like about him.He can scrammble.

Theres not 1 thing he did better then RGIII.
Pretty sure A&M killed Baylor. Must not have had anything to do with Tannehill.

MiamiMuss
02-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Pretty sure A&M killed Baylor. Must not have had anything to do with Tannehill.

Honestly does this means he is a better qb? Baylor beat Texas and the Sooners and the Aggies didnt.

Valandui
02-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Honestly does this means he is a better qb? Baylor beat Texas and the Sooners and the Aggies didnt.
Well, if all Griffin does is win and Tannehill costs his team games, you would think that Griffin wouldn't lose the game by thirty points when they go head to head.

DcRy82
02-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Well, if all Griffin does is win and Tannehill costs his team games, you would think that Griffin wouldn't lose the game by thirty points when they go head to head.

Yea because The QB is the only phase of the game that causes any sort of outcome... Give some support to your opinion so that people can attempt to take you seriously..

Valandui
02-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Yea because The QB is the only phase of the game that causes any sort of outcome... Give some support to your opinion so that people can attempt to take you seriously..
I've laid out my reasons for both liking Tannehill and disliking Griffin on many occasions here. Those posts get ignored and my one liners and contradiction posts get scrutinized. If you want my reasoning, do a simple forum search.