PDA

View Full Version : What if Redskins draft Tannenhill???

etown08
02-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Let's assume that Manning is done and Seattle signs Flynn. In the draft Cleveland gets RGIII and the Skins draft Tannenhill. What are our plans do we draft Coples or do we take Weeden with our 1st round pick? Miami is always stuck in the worst position. Would you guys be upset with Weeden at 8 or 9?

He could be the target all along because I haven't heard much said about him and Sherman had to game plan for him twice a year so he should know Weeden's strengths and weaknesses. Let be honest his talent dictates 1st round pick top 5 even the only thing that is holding him back is his age. I'll take 8 years of being a playoff contender. What do you guys think?

Miamifin23
02-21-2012, 02:30 PM
no no no no no... way too high for weeden, it would be shocking if we missed out on manning or flynn. Manning will not be a redskin, I'll just get that out right now, they have 0 weapons, poor o-line, and a tough division... not to mention eli plays in the division. Manning IMO will either be a Dolphin or a Seahawk with the Cards as an outside shot. Clearly Cleveland has the best chance to trading up and getting RGIII but if Miami misses out on who they want, maybe we offer the house to get to #2.

etown08
02-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Manning is off the table in this scenario and why is it too high for Weeden. In my eyes he is the second best QB in this draft. Are you basing it off of his age. We need to be aggressive for once.

finsfanjay13
02-21-2012, 02:45 PM
I could definitely see the Redskins drafting Tannehill and it should be considered a very possible scenario. If that happens, I personally wouldn't draft Weeden at 8 or 9 (sorry CK), but would pick him up in the 2nd without hesitation.

etown08
02-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Yeah but if we wait we run the chance of not getting a QB at all. Weeden is the only QB worth anything. After him all the other guys suck. What if the Jets pick up an insurance policy for Sanchez

finsfanjay13
02-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah but if we wait we run the chance of not getting a QB at all. Weeden is the only QB worth anything. After him all the other guys suck. What if the Jets pick up an insurance policy for Sanchez

This is one of those cases where I'm glad that I'm not making the choices. :)

jim1
02-21-2012, 04:24 PM

There's the rub. I would love to see the Skins draft Tannehill- but only if it means Weeden becomes available to us. Redskins at #39 scare the crap out of me, and Cleveland worries me, too. Same ofr Seattle, despite whatever nonsense they're spewing at any given moment. if we learned nothong else from Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells- drafting is a liar's game- I could give a **** what prospects come for visits, how many times they visit- all these teams are full of crap, case in point Ponder and his lack of visits last year.

The specter of NYJ, Dallas, et al drafting Weeden by suprprise in the 1st rd throws a major spanner in the works. Boinks it all imo. The QBs available after Weeden is off the table- pretty much come from the law offices of Suck & Wang as far as I'm concerned. Weeden or bust- Tannehill if we must. In the absense of those two- screw it, give Flynn a chance if it doesn't cost too much. Personally, I'd just stick with Moore and improve his supporting cast of receiving weapons if we can't get Weeden. The whole draft centers around him as far as I'm concerned, as it did Christian Ponder last year, and maybe Tyler Wilson in the 2013 draft if we don't solve the QB problem last year.

MiamiMuss
02-21-2012, 05:36 PM
I would be happy as heck,,no thanks to Matt Jones Jr.

etown08
02-21-2012, 05:39 PM
I for one am not comfortable with Flynn there is a reason you were drafted in the 7th rd. I am getting the feeling that Weeden or Tannenhill is our guy. Weeden said it best after the spectacular defeat of Stanford that he is young in NFL years and his arm is ready to go.

tay0365
02-21-2012, 05:42 PM
I personally have no problem drafting Weeden that early. Yes he will be a 28 year old rookie (Maybe 29, forgot when his birthday is), but he will be one of the rare Rookies that can start from day one, and not hurt you while learning.

He will also be one of the more talented QBs coming out this year (At worse top 3, and if you look at how they played this year, you could call him top 2, or if you check the bowls, you might be crazy to think he may be better then....do I dare say it).

If the only thing stopping a GM from taking a QB earlier is because of age, then he is not very smart, or has much vision, because if that QB give you just 6-7 years, but in those 6-7 years, 6 are solid to great years, at least 2 SB appearences, and at least 1 SB win, is anyone going to tell me it was not worth it?

MexDolfan
02-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Redskinks going for Tannehill implies Manning wasn't available for them. In worse case scenario Peyton choses to retire or returns to Colts.

So that leaves a thin free agency and if Washington is picking him in the first round means three things that Colts selected Luck, some team picked RG3 and Matt Flynn opted for someone else than Redskins. Assuming that RG3 goes to Cleveland while Matt Flynn signs with Seattle, we would be running out of options.

In order to create the most pessimist case, a complete nightmare for Dolphins, let's say that Chad Henne signed with Jets, Vince Young accepts to continue with Eagles, Josh Johnson and Donovan McNabb go to Denver, Kyle Orton moves to Washington and Brady Quinn opts to move to Buffalo.

Then Ireland should try to trade down and pick Wedden or repeat what this team have made in the past moving for someone's backup. A cheap trade for Browns' McCoy (perhaps a 6th round at such point) or Patriots' Mallet (exchanging Koa Misi?) to fortify the QB position.

ROADRUNNER
02-21-2012, 06:07 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/02/01_420x284_-1.jpg

Roman529
02-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Brett Favre??? :crazy: I kid, I kid.

Valandui
02-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Trade down and get Weeden and Fleener.

ROADRUNNER
02-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Search old man Weeden on the net and guess what comes up..............:lol:

etown08
02-21-2012, 06:56 PM
That's weak !!!!

Kdawg954
02-21-2012, 07:17 PM
I don't think I could pull the trigger on Weeden at 8 or 9 . . . I'm guessing a pretty good prospect probably fell if we are picking 8th and Tannehill and RGIII are gone. Maybe Claiborne or Blackmon? I'd be happy with either and attempt to trade back into the first for Weeden.

jlfin
02-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Question? Who would you rather have, Flynn or Weeden?

Mudder1310
02-21-2012, 08:12 PM
If that's how it goes we should go Upshaw, Richardson, or DeCastro in the 1st, Fleener in the 2nd, maybe Foles in the 3rd. If Foles isn't there then BPA and someone like BJ Coleman or Darron Thomas late.

jim1
02-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Question? Who would you rather have, Flynn or Weeden?

Weeden

Stefins
02-21-2012, 08:24 PM
In this scenario...
I suggest we take a look at Kyle Orten then trade down or BPA.

Exuro
02-21-2012, 08:28 PM
I don't think Shanahan has the time to time to develop Tannehill. He's in year 3 after finishing last place in the NFC East basement the past two years. Joe Gibbs was given 4 years, Zorn and Spurrier only had 2, and Martyball had a year before his papers were served.

Zounds
02-21-2012, 08:38 PM
I think the Skins take Tannehill at 6. If not, they made trade down to get Weeden. Based on what Shannahan has said, I think it's safe to say they will take a QB in this draft. We just don't know which one.

da1nonlydre16
02-21-2012, 10:14 PM
I expect the redskins to fail their attempt for Manning and end up going bpa at 6 and set their eyes on Nick Foles who they coached in the senior bowl, he'll be a second or third rd option with them..We should stay far from a qb at 8 or 9 and take Blackmon, Ingram, Upshaw, Coples in that order. Even if we need a qb the last thing we can do is reach for one at 8 or 9. That would set us back even more.

The Confessor
02-21-2012, 10:17 PM
IF the Redskins take Tannehill that early.... I will LAUGH MY PATOOTY OFF!!! and then be happy that a real talent has a better chance of falling to us at 9...and hope that Weeden does fall to us in the 2nd.

jim1
02-21-2012, 10:44 PM
I for one am not comfortable with Flynn there is a reason you were drafted in the 7th rd. I am getting the feeling that Weeden or Tannenhill is our guy. Weeden said it best after the spectacular defeat of Stanford that he is young in NFL years and his arm is ready to go.

Weeden is the guy imo. And the problem is- if Tannehill, whom I like much less than Weeden btw, age issue included- is gone and Weeden is gone, who else is there? People can say Nick Foles, they can say whomever they want- I don't care. The only guy that I really give a s*** about after Weeden and Tannehill is Russell Wilson. And if he's only 5-10.5, so be it. Not that much shorter than Brees. Far from ideal height, but the dude is solidly built, has a strong, accurate arm, is significantly mobile and pretty darned good rolling out, has played behind a huge offensive line at Wisconsin, and other than that he's just a damn good QB with oustanding skills and stats. Dude would be a 1st round pick if he was three inches taller.

If we miss out on Weeden and Tannehill (far less enthusiasm for Tanehill here on my end)- after throwing up if Weeden is drafted before our 2nd rd pick, and after having a violent bout of the sit down/turn arounds if we actually pass on Weeden in the 2nd round- I'll be pulling for us to draft Russell Wilson at some point in the draft.

Russell Wilson stats:

2011 3175 yards 33 TD 4 INT

career 11720 yards 109 TD 30 INT

Screw the height issue, this cat can play.

Mudder1310
02-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Name a sub 6' starting qb. Right, none. If you're going to take a flier on Wilson you may as fly on someone with the right physicals that can get coached up.

etown08
02-21-2012, 10:54 PM
That's how we got stuck with Henne. We need to be aggressive and take a chance

jim1
02-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Name a sub 6' starting qb. Right, none. If you're going to take a flier on Wilson you may as fly on someone with the right physicals that can get coached up.

I don't care, I'm not going to dismiss him because he's short. The obvious positive comparison is Brees, and he actually set the height bar lower- many thought that Brees was too short at just over 6 foot- to be exact 6'00.2 if what I looked up is correct. Get a ruler and take a look at 1.5 inches- it's not all that much.

Who was the last QB before Brees to be under 6'00.5 and win a Super Bowl? Go to the Pro Bowl? All Pro? Throw for 4,000 yards? 5,000 yards?

And really, I don't care. I'm not going to ignore Russell Wilson and what he has to offer because he is short. And again, the Wisconsin OL was huge last year, he worked out ok there I would say. If they roll him out a bit more in the pros, I'm fine with that. What I do know is that the dude can play football, and I'd be willing to take a chance on a talent like Russell Wilson.

J. David Wannyheimer
02-22-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't think Shanahan has the time to time to develop Tannehill. He's in year 3 after finishing last place in the NFC East basement the past two years. Joe Gibbs was given 4 years, Zorn and Spurrier only had 2, and Martyball had a year before his papers were served. I agree with this post. I think Shanahan is going to throw the farm at a free agent QB or try to trade up for Griffin and hope that the kid shows enough right away to get the fans interested. He is treading water right now and that water is getting cold.

normaniii
02-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Weeden in 1st........no chance!

I would rather have Jason Campbell compete with Matt Moore and take BPA.

Buff
02-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Weeden at 9 would be ok. Age only means that he is level headed generally, and had more nous than a 23 year old. Hell, If he leads us to the sb in 5 yearsm at 35 years old, he would be praised as the next great white hope. If he fell to us, then yep, snap him up,.

etown08
02-23-2012, 12:41 AM
With all the reports about the Pack franchising Flynn this scenario just got a whole lot more realistic. If we don't take Weeden and Seattle takes him I will be real upset. We have to take Weeden at all costs. This draft worries me because we might be looking at a 1st rd RT tackle. The only other option is couples or Claiborne if he falls.

BlueFin
02-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Let's assume that Manning is done and Seattle signs Flynn. In the draft Cleveland gets RGIII and the Skins draft Tannenhill. What are our plans do we draft Coples or do we take Weeden with our 1st round pick? Miami is always stuck in the worst position. Would you guys be upset with Weeden at 8 or 9?

He could be the target all along because I haven't heard much said about him and Sherman had to game plan for him twice a year so he should know Weeden's strengths and weaknesses. Let be honest his talent dictates 1st round pick top 5 even the only thing that is holding him back is his age. I'll take 8 years of being a playoff contender. What do you guys think?

Not really...we just haven't made the right selections when they were there for the taking.....Brees, Rogers...and probably Mat Ryan before all is said and done.