PDA

View Full Version : Something I am slightly, SLIGHTLY warming to.

umpalu
02-22-2012, 01:33 PM
This is 100% based on getting a QB in free agency. I would trade 3 drafts at this point for a QB I am so frustrated if we don't get one in free agency. However, if we do, I am kind of wondering about Morris Claiborne from LSU at our pick if he is there which he guessing will be. I think he is the 2nd safest pick in the draft behind Luck. No one is really talking about it much. Bell may be gone, there is no real suficient back up to him and safety is a huge concern. Him and Davis would be lock down and Smith bumped to safety I think would be the right move and possibly air tight. I know we have a # of needs, especially on the OL and DL, but that could be a huge. Just throwing it out there for discussion.

ckparrothead
02-22-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure where this latest speculation is coming from that he'll be available at #8 or #9 overall but I really don't think he will be...

umpalu
02-22-2012, 02:10 PM
I am trying to create it :)

hooshoops
02-22-2012, 02:23 PM
you got a better shot at justin blackmon getting to us if he runs a bad # than you do of morris claiborne imo...i have some reservations about his wheels

MadDog 88
02-22-2012, 02:35 PM
I have a hard time believing Claiborne is available after 5 let alone 8-9.

Austin Tatious
02-22-2012, 03:38 PM
I may be in the minority but I have reservations about Smith at safety. He is a mediocre tackler at best. He just doesn't wrap up. He has some size but he seems soft and shies away from contact a la Deion. Secondly, the guy has horrible hands and is not a good centerfielder type in terms of making plays, i.e., turnovers.

He does have range. I remember seeing some good clips of him at Utah where he made some picks with range. Then his first pre-season against the Saints he made a great pick. But at the NFL level with the lights on, the precincts are in. The guy can't catch a cold.

I'd like a safety back there that can get some turnovers. This is a major weakness. I am pleased that Coyle is talking alot about it as an emphasis going forward.

TedSlimmJr
02-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Claiborne was the best defensive player in college football, I told hoops that back in October. He doesn't get much discussion here because he's going to be long gone by the time Miami picks.

Then again, the best defensive player in the country fell to Miami with the 9th overall pick a few years ago and they passed him up for a 140 pound kick returner.

hooshoops
02-22-2012, 06:10 PM
the problem with smith at free safety is you just can't get away with a guy who is that soft as a tackler...i just refuse to see how that works out...unless you make him a nickle dime guy back there...but every down free safety no thanks...

and smith is proving to me that because he's such a soft tackler and anything but a secure one that you can rely on to stick his neck in there and make a tackle when he has to he is becoming what i think many of us dreaded when he was drafted...a tweener...not quick twitch and explosive enough to play the boundary at a high level and not physical enough to play a every down free safety...

if he struggles this year again i think he won't be back with us in 2013 first and he won't be an every down starting player secondly wherever he goes

TheWalrus
02-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Sean Smith needs to be a corner in a cover 2 man under scheme, imo. That's his best spot. He doesn't have the deep speed to play consistently in single high coverage and even going back to Utah had a bad habit of getting beaten deep (though more from lack of effort and a tendency to misjudge the ball than anything, imo).

Fortunately, cover 2 man under is what Coyle ran more than anything in Cincinnati. If installs that here Smith will probably have his best year as a pro. Nolan had him way too much zone for my tastes. Vontae would also probably thrive in such a system. He has the ability to play in zone but his mental lapses still make him a vulnerability in zone more often than I would like.

finfan54
02-22-2012, 07:58 PM
i'm warming to melvin ingram, just wonder if Ireland wants a 6'2 guy playing the occasional LB spot.