PDA

View Full Version : Case for LaMicheal James

RichmondWeb
02-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Premise: LaMicheal James shows a similar skill set to Reggie Bush: speed, quickness, versatility, leadership, and toughness. At his diminutive size, Bush needs a capable back-up with similar skills so that the offense can continue its offensive season objectives in his absence. James is possibly the most important offensive skill player available to the Dolphins in this draft!

Theory: Miami should make a sincere effort to make sure James becomes a Dolphin. Secure him by round 3.

Argument: What happens to the offense if Bush gets hurt, it would radically change the whole playbook, erasing countless hours of planning and practice. Also it would leave the talent ordinary, slow, and boring. Daren Sproles illustrated what a great scat-back can do in a good offense; a tremendous threat that can take the offense to another level. Yet with the Dolphins, who have less big play skill talent than NO, Bush is even that much more invaluable. He is the most important player on offense.

Bush and James could also be used in tandem from the backfield and/or outside WR creating mismatches, similar to those presented by the NE TE's; a new ultra quick package for opponent DC's to consider. Also they could both be involved in special teams.

Injuries to Jamaal Charles and Adrian Peterson last year exhibited the devastation to their team's offense without its star player. Toby Gerhardt and Jackie Battle were serviceable back-ups but didn't have the same impact leaving their teams destitute.

Conclusion: Finding a replacement for Bush should be of paramount concern for the Dolphins heading into this draft. Replacing Bush's skill set is no simple task. LaMicheal James appears to possess that rare skill set and therefore should be drafted by the Miami Dolphins at some cost.

RW

Roman529
02-23-2012, 04:53 PM
I think L. James could go in the second round. He could have a very solid career like Darren Sproles and be used to run back kicks, used for slant passes, and passes out of the backfield, along with regular carries as a RB. If we are able to trade down and maybe get an extra second round pick, he would be worth a look. He could turn into another Ray Rice.

ckparrothead
02-23-2012, 05:57 PM
I like LaMichael James. I know guys that don't. But of the two, I think I'd rather have Isaiah Pead.

ckparrothead
02-23-2012, 05:59 PM
I also think with the signing of Jerome Messam, the Dolphins are done at the RB position other than to re-sign Lex Hilliard. But we'll see on that. They may add a UDFA like they did Nic Grigsby.

WitheringPlant
02-23-2012, 07:56 PM
I like LaMichael James. I know guys that don't. But of the two, I think I'd rather have Isaiah Pead.
Would love to have a jersey that said "I Pead" on the back.

RichmondWeb
02-23-2012, 08:25 PM
I also think with the signing of Jerome Messam, the Dolphins are done at the RB position other than to re-sign Lex Hilliard. But we'll see on that. They may add a UDFA like they did Nic Grigsby.

Then they should rethink this because that leaves them vulnerable, and that's just stupid. Thomas should fight it out with Hilliard for utility back, Messam can be the new hammer, then we need a Bush backup who can run all the Reggie plays if/when he gets hurt. Imagine what happens to the Eagles if/when McCoy gets hurt. McCoy was a great backup for Westbrook when he got hurt because he could do the same things. Now when McCoy goes down...Ronnie Brown? Love the guy but it's rebuild the offense time; he's a totally different back-power/short yardage. They need a backup for McCoy with similar skills and we need a backup for Reggie.

Maybe there is someone else besides James in the draft, free-agency, or trade for a Kendall Hunter but they need somebody who can do Bush's job if he gets hurt.

RW

Dogbone34
02-23-2012, 11:36 PM
James is very good.

He would be interesting in the 3rd round.

dolfan_101
02-23-2012, 11:58 PM

Interesting.. I would side with LaMichael James between the two but I like the way Pead runs.

greasyObnoxious
02-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Then they should rethink this because that leaves them vulnerable, and that's just stupid. Thomas should fight it out with Hilliard for utility back, Messam can be the new hammer, then we need a Bush backup who can run all the Reggie plays if/when he gets hurt. Imagine what happens to the Eagles if/when McCoy gets hurt. McCoy was a great backup for Westbrook when he got hurt because he could do the same things. Now when McCoy goes down...Ronnie Brown? Love the guy but it's rebuild the offense time; he's a totally different back-power/short yardage. They need a backup for McCoy with similar skills and we need a backup for Reggie.

Maybe there is someone else besides James in the draft, free-agency, or trade for a Kendall Hunter but they need somebody who can do Bush's job if he gets hurt.

RW

teams don't keep two players with the same skill-set on the team. sure, it's nice to have somebody who can take over without missing a beat in case of injury, but we don't even know Bush's role in our new offense yet. the more versatile you are, the more things you can do the better. that requires players with different skill-sets

ckparrothead
02-24-2012, 05:43 PM

RW

How many running backs do you think a team ends up with on the 53 man roster?

TedSlimmJr
02-24-2012, 05:53 PM
I've always had a bit of a running back fetish... especially for the smaller scat backs (less than 209 pounds) with talent, that run hard and bring versatility. I have 13 of these type backs on my draft board that I like, ranging anywhere from the 2nd round - priority UDFA.

I hate the fact that Miami went out and signed this kid from Canada, he does absolutely nothing for me. I'd rather they have left that guy in Canada and choose from some of the more talented, higher character backs in this draft.

RichmondWeb
02-24-2012, 11:00 PM
How many running backs do you think a team ends up with on the 53 man roster?

On this team, the same as you implied, only I decide between Thomas and Hilliard who stays based on $$ and overall utility ability HB, FB, ST, 3rdD, and GL. New Orleans has Sproles, P. Thomas (who can do some of Sproles' chores), Ingram and Ivory, plus a FB. We would have:

HB: Bush, *James, Messam, Thomas or Hilliard

FB/TE: Clay

We don't have Aaron Rodgers nor his WR's; we have to do something different. We have an OL designed to run the ball whereas Green Bay's running game scares no one except perhaps their 4 min. offense. Philbin promised to design the team based on who we have; right now Bush and Marshall are our only difference makers. We can't afford to lose either, yet Bush is a small guy who wants to run inside, and I'm good with that as long as he has a back-up. If you limit him to outside plays and run Thomas inside you lose the element of surprise. We have a special guy here who can do it all, we just need to protect him and not by limiting his uses.

I realize this is thinking outside the box but it does make sense.

RW

RichmondWeb
02-24-2012, 11:08 PM
I've always had a bit of a running back fetish... especially for the smaller scat backs (less than 209 pounds) with talent, that run hard and bring versatility. I have 13 of these type backs on my draft board that I like, ranging anywhere from the 2nd round - priority UDFA.

I hate the fact that Miami went out and signed this kid from Canada, he does absolutely nothing for me. I'd rather they have left that guy in Canada and choose from some of the more talented, higher character backs in this draft.

Who are these 13 guys, Ted, if you don't mind?

Maybe Messam can be a better GL/SY back. Thomas couldn't get it done last year.

The Confessor
02-24-2012, 11:21 PM
On this team, the same as you implied, only I decide between Thomas and Hilliard who stays based on $$ and overall utility ability HB, FB, ST, 3rdD, and GL. New Orleans has Sproles, P. Thomas (who can do some of Sproles' chores), Ingram and Ivory, plus a FB. We would have:

HB: Bush, *James, Messam, Thomas or Hilliard

FB/TE: Clay

We don't have Aaron Rodgers nor his WR's; we have to do something different. We have an OL designed to run the ball whereas Green Bay's running game scares no one except perhaps their 4 min. offense. Philbin promised to design the team based on who we have; right now Bush and Marshall are our only difference makers. We can't afford to lose either, yet Bush is a small guy who wants to run inside, and I'm good with that as long as he has a back-up. If you limit him to outside plays and run Thomas inside you lose the element of surprise. We have a special guy here who can do it all, we just need to protect him and not by limiting his uses.

I realize this is thinking outside the box but it does make sense.

RW

Wait!!!

I might be missing the point, but are you saying you would run LJ up the middle as an element of surprise?

His pro career would be very short if you did that IMVHO!!!

The Confessor
02-24-2012, 11:23 PM

Are you suggesting that Messam has character issues???? First I've heard of that.

TedSlimmJr
02-25-2012, 01:05 AM
Are you suggesting that Messam has character issues???? First I've heard of that.

I've talked to a few people who are much more familiar with the CFL than I am, and they all consider this kid nothing but a cancer. Most of what I've heard about him is that, "He's a Canadian kid that didn't qualify out of highschool, in fact he never made it to clearinghouse- so he is no brain surgeon"...

"Suspended his senior year for some games because of a fight".... "Kicked out of JC for assault"... "Numerous incidents as a CFL player both on and off the field, Including more fights, and one that resulted in breaking a teammate's jaw"... (most likely a sucker punch)

Here's an article that talks a little bit about some of his off field and character issues. Make sure to read the comment under the article:

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2012/02/dolphins-close-to-signing-cfl-tailback-jerome-messam.html

TedSlimmJr
02-25-2012, 02:00 AM
Who are these 13 guys, Ted, if you don't mind?

When talking about backs that under 209 pounds that I like, I'm referring to backs that have the potential to be "niche" backs in the NFL, or in certain instances, backs that I think legitimately have a shot to be change-of-pace backs at the next level. I've always liked small, compact backs that have a body of work and have proven they can carry the load in college. Some of them even carry their entire offenses on their back year in and year out.... kinda like the diminutive Quizz Rodgers did for Oregon St., and he's carved out a nice little niche for himself in Atlanta's backfield as a change-of-pace to Michael Turner. I like some of these smaller backs because they don't give defenders much of a target to tackle, but ONLY if they have the ability to break arm tackles. I have to see that.

LaMichael James is certainly at the top. I like his quickness, acceleration, vision, speed, and toughness for a small back. He's proven he can perform, but also maintain that level of performance....which is most important.

Same with a kid like Bobby Rainey who's rushed for over 1,600 yards 2 years in a row for Western Kentucky. He's literally carried the offense on his back for the past 2 years, without any help or talent around him. He's proven durable and dependable. Kids like this deserve a shot at a roster spot in the NFL. What I like about Rainey is he does it a lot out of a traditional I-formation where he has to read his blocks. He doesn't hesitate to hit it up in there. A lot of his production obviously came against Sun-Belt competition... but when you turn on the tape of him against LSU's defense, you see why he's productive. He carried the rock 28 times for 85 yards against LSU's defense. He rushed for over 100 yards against Kentucky. There's a lot of big time SEC backs with SEC talent around them and blocking for them that couldn't do that against LSU.

The small backs all bring something different to the table. Some of them are extremely shifty and quick as a hiccup, some of them exceptionally fast and bring the versatility to make a roster as a returner also, some of them have enough talent to be a legitimate change-of-pace back in the NFL. I think these little scat backs always tend to get under-appreciated as a whole, and none of them more under-appreciated than Utah St.'s Michael Smith... who I think is likely to end up being one of the biggest steals of the draft for somebody.

Anyway, you asked for the 13 scat backs that I like: None of these backs are over 209 pounds-

*LaMichael James - Oregon (5'8", 194)

*David Wilson - Virginia Tech (5'10", 206)

Michael Smith - Utah St. (5'8", 207)

*Ronnie Hillman - San Diego St. (5'9", 200)

Isaiah Pead - Cincinnati (5'10", 197)

Tauren Poole - Tennessee (5'10", 205)

Fozzy Whittaker - Texas (5'9", 193)

Adonis Thomas - Toledo (5'10", 185)

Bobby Rainey - Western Kentucky (5'8", 205)

Keola Antolin - Arizona (5'8", 195)

Rodney Stewart - Colorado (5'6", 175)

Cyrus Gray - Texas A&M (5'10", 206)

*Edwin Baker - Michigan St. (5'8", 204)

RichmondWeb
02-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Wait!!!

I might be missing the point, but are you saying you would run LJ up the middle as an element of surprise?

His pro career would be very short if you did that IMVHO!!!

Yes, not like Earl Campbell or anything but he ran well inside for the Ducks. He's fearless, strong, quick, and hard to hit. Other small backs have held up to some pounding: MJD, RR, Quizz, Sproles, McCoy, and Bush. These guys probably get hit harder outside where they can get blindsided at full speed. Scat backs can run inside behind blockers to keep the DC guessing and they can break loose. Defenses will have to adjust their personnel to smaller guys to try to contain them (they already are in nickel most of the time) which gives Miami an edge. Just like we need to find guys who can deal with Gronkowski, NE will have to find guys who can catch/contain LJ.

RW