PDA

View Full Version : Is David DeCastro a RT?

LouPhinFan
02-23-2012, 10:11 AM
In his article today, SI.com's Tony Pauline mentions this about DeCastro:

David DeCastro, OL, Stanford -- DeCastro closely resembles Steve Hutchinson on the field with his aggressive nature and dominant strength. Scouts wonder if DeCastro can make the move from guard to right tackle in the NFL. He's listed at 6-foot-5 on the Stanford website, the perfect height for a right tackle prospect. If his Combine measurement is close to that number and DeCastro turns in a good workout, franchises around the league could place him on their draft board at the right tackle position. His draft stock would then soar.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/02/22/2012.scouting.combine.preview/index.html#ixzz1nDKa1Eh3

I never thought about him possibly being a RT. He's a favorite of mine in this draft and is the only OL I would be fine with drafting at #8/9. But could and should he be a RT at the NFL level?

ckparrothead
02-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Good players play well wherever you play them and he's the best OL player in this Draft.

ROADRUNNER
02-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Good players play well wherever you play them and he's the best OL player in this Draft.

You have him over Kalil, or is that the best OL miami can get when they draft.............

Tunaphish429
02-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Do you draft a guy that high to move him to a different posistion tho?

showstopper
02-23-2012, 12:06 PM
I remember tweeting this question to Omar a month ago with no response, feel pretty vindicated right now. And I do believe he has the feet and intelligence to make the transition smoothly.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-23-2012, 01:08 PM
There's no question that he has the quickness and I agree that he's the best offensive lineman in the draft. It might come down to arm length as to whether teams want to make that switch. If enough teams feel he can play RT, then DeCastro could be a top 5 pick.

ckparrothead
02-23-2012, 01:45 PM
You have him over Kalil, or is that the best OL miami can get when they draft.............

He's better at what he does than Kalil is at what he does. Kalil has some special characteristics to him but the fact of the matter is, he got beat too much. Not unlike Castonzo. Special characteristics, all the potential in the world, but when you break it down, they got beat.

LouPhinFan
02-23-2012, 01:49 PM
There's no question that he has the quickness and I agree that he's the best offensive lineman in the draft. It might come down to arm length as to whether teams want to make that switch. If enough teams feel he can play RT, then DeCastro could be a top 5 pick.

Just saw on Twitter that he was measured today at the combine with 32 3/4 inch arms and 10 inch hands. For what it's worth.

TedSlimmJr
02-23-2012, 04:34 PM
It's awful hard to be a good player on the edge if your arms aren't at least 33", and even then you better have some magnificent feet and be very technically sound to help you compensate. You need to be flawless with your hand placement and head position.

The reason a lot of the more lengthy pure tackles aren't effective playing inside is because they can't consistently play with the correct leverage that it takes at the guard position. The main aspect of David DeCastro that makes him so special is his incredible quickness and footwork to pull on power, and ability to hit a moving target that's 80 pounds lighter and supposedly much faster and more agile than he is.

You're essentially eliminating that from his game if you play him at tackle.

hooshoops
02-23-2012, 06:49 PM
yeah those arms are a little short for a right tackle...had they measured out a little better i think he definitely has the feet for it though..that said i agree with others who say he's the best lineman in the draft...

i do like kalil more than i did castanzo though...and i also like reiff as a pro right tackle...but not over decastro...who imo can play any of the interior positions and play them damn well

PSU Cane
02-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Love DeCastro....one of my favorites in the draft, almost as sure/safe of a pick you can make. But he's not a RT (good feet and initial quickness but not the most athletic guy or body type you look for in tackles), nor would you want him there. He's best at moving big bodies inside and pulling. He belongs at guard.

EJay
02-24-2012, 12:19 AM
IMHO, unless Justin Blackmon miraculously falls to the Dolphins, they should absolutely and unequivocally take DeCastro with their #8/9 selection (assuming he's still on the board). He'd arguably be the BPA and he fills a pressing need. I don't care if it's a tad high for a G/RT prospect, for the reason already stated. Also, if the Dolphins somehow land Manning or Flynn via free agency, you should want to ensure that they are as protected as humanly possible. An offensive line consisting of Long, Pouncey and DeCastro should go a long way in accomplishing just that, not to mention further opening things up for Reggie Bush and the rushing attack.

SamIam
02-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Well 2 things I would like to add this thread.

1- Matt light the Pats LT has short arms and he is one the best at that position over the last 7 years or so.

2- I really like cordy glenn, man oh man someone is going to get so ****ing lucky drafting this dude late in round one, I think he will ne an outstanding RT

If we sign manning, I would like us to trade down and draft Glenn because I think we need a RT more than a G though I really like decastro

hooshoops
02-24-2012, 05:21 PM
decastro tops all lineman at 34 reps of 225 on the bench at the combine...

MiamiMuss
02-24-2012, 06:05 PM
decastro tops all lineman at 34 reps of 225 on the bench at the combine...

Molk had 41 but 34 is preety good.Glenn for having 3 " longer arms did 31 thats pretty damn good aswell.

Fintastic2124
02-25-2012, 03:22 AM
If we drafted DeCastro, it would be hard for me to find something to complain about.

hooshoops
02-25-2012, 10:27 AM
\molk is really undersized but yeah i jumped the gun...cordy glenn just ran a sub 5 second 40 at 345 lbs...you kiddin me...kids making top 20 consideration with the way things are going...thats flying for that big...massive dude sub 5 second 40...1.76 10 yard split crazy