PDA

View Full Version : GBN combine buzz/QB rumors

jim1
02-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Combine buzz ... With the offensive linemen and TEs already in town, things at this year’s scouting combine in Indianapolis start to heat up later today with the arrival of the quarterbacks, RBs and receivers, although they won’t actually workout on the field until Sunday. It is also more than likely that neither Andrew Luck nor Robert Griffin, who are expected to go first and second overall at this April‘s draft, will take part in the passing drills on Sunday as both will wait for their respective pro days. Oklahoma State’s Brandon Weeden, one of the three QBs vying for the #3 spot at the position behind the top two guys, also says he still hasn’t decided whether he will throw this weekend. Of course, Ryan Tannehill of Texas A&M, who is still rehabbing from a broken foot, also won’t be on the field Sunday.

And whether or not any of the top QB prospects actually work out this week, there is a growing sense around the league that as many as 5 QBs could actually be taken in this year’s opening round. Indeed, one rumor making the rounds this week is that Washington, which has the 6th overall pick and had been expected to be seriously involved in bidding to trade up with St. Louis for the second pick overall, may actually consider trying to trade back into the opening round and target Weeden, who is somewhat over-aged for a draft prospect after playing minor league baseball for several seasons, but has the maturity to step right into an NFL roster. And the Redskins are always a franchise in a hurry.

At the same time, Arizona State junior Brock Osweiler is also starting to generate some late-first round buzz of his own. While he did a lot of dinking and dunking in the Sun Devils’ version of a spread offense, Osweiler is a rangy 6-7 passer with a strong, accurate arm who at least looks the part of a prototype pro pocket passer. And with so many teams looking to upgrade at QB, those that hesitate on April 26th may be lost. And speaking of Stanford’s Luck, he has been training with quarterback guru George Whitfield who worked with Cam Newton prior to the 2011 draft.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

jlfin
02-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Sounds eerily similar to last yr. Teams may be willing to reach for QB's in the 1st rd. For those who want Weeden, he may not be there in the 2nd rd.
I think if the Phins don't sign Manning or Flynn, then I think they almost have to draft Tannehill or Weeden with their 1st pick, unless they think they can trade back into the 1st rd.

jim1
02-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Sounds eerily similar to last yr. Teams may be willing to reach for QB's in the 1st rd. For those who want Weeden, he may not be there in the 2nd rd.
I think if the Phins don't sign Manning or Flynn, then I think they almost have to draft Tannehill or Weeden with their 1st pick, unless they think they can trade back into the 1st rd.

It's a dilemma, for sure.

Mudder1310
02-23-2012, 09:11 PM
This is a year where I think the draft needs to focus on value for every pick, and neither QB is a real good value at 8 or 9. The Dolphin could use talent or depth all over the place, I don't see the point reaching for Tannehill or Weeden at 9 when players like Upshaw, richardson, or Coples may be available. You simply get more for your pick with the second set.

Dogbone34
02-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Osweiler keeps moving up. I'm not ruling him out.

Manning / Moore / Osweiler

SF Dolphin Fan
02-23-2012, 11:49 PM
I think if the Phins don't sign Manning or Flynn, then I think they almost have to draft Tannehill or Weeden with their 1st pick, unless they think they can trade back into the 1st rd.I'm also concerned about Buffalo picking right behind us. The Bills need a quarterback just as much as Miami.

Dolphin39
02-24-2012, 10:54 AM
this is a year where i think the draft needs to focus on value for every pick, and neither qb is a real good value at 8 or 9. The dolphin could use talent or depth all over the place, i don't see the point reaching for tannehill or weeden at 9 when players like upshaw, richardson, or coples may be available. You simply get more for your pick with the second set.

I completely agree!!!

NorFlaFin
02-24-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm also concerned about Buffalo picking right behind us. The Bills need a quarterback just as much as Miami.

Just don't see the Bills drafting a QB in the 1st after giving Fitz that new contract.

ticophin
02-24-2012, 08:36 PM
If we get Peyton, and that´s a big if, I,d get a project QB, but in the later rounds...Imagine getting Luke Kuechly @8, TE Charles with our 2nd rounder, (I think Fleener will go earlier to Atl), and G or Pass Rush with our 3rd rounder...But its all speculation, we´ll have a better idea a week after FA begins...

3rdandinches
02-24-2012, 08:55 PM
If we get Peyton, and that´s a big if, I,d get a project QB, but in the later rounds...Imagine getting Luke Kuechly @8, TE Charles with our 2nd rounder, (I think Fleener will go earlier to Atl), and G or Pass Rush with our 3rd rounder...But its all speculation, we´ll have a better idea a week after FA begins...

Atlanta does not have a 1st round pick, and if they pick anything other than Defensive players their FO and coach's should be fired!