PDA

View Full Version : Barry jackson/Miami Herald Sports Buzz: combine notes 2/23/12

jim1
02-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Friday morning update: The Dolphins have won the coin toss with Carolina early this morning and will pick eighth in the first round of the April 26 draft. Carolina will pick ninth.
Among the players the Dolphins could be choosing from: North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples, Iowa offensive tackle Riley Reiff, Alabama linebacker Courtney Upshaw, South Carolina defensive end Melvin Ingram and Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill, among others. By being eighth instead of ninth, there's also a better chance - albeit not a great one - that two of the draft's best players at this position - Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon and LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne - could slip to that spot.

Neither Ryan nor Arizona Cardinals officials ruled out a run at Peyton Manning. Ryan was asked a couple times why he wouldn’t rule out the Jets pursuing Manning, considering that Ryan said recently that he’s firmly behind Mark Sanchez. But Ryan sees no reason to do that: “We will look at everybody,” he said. “There are 10 free agent quarterbacks I’ve looked at.” A Kansas City radio station said Tom Condon (Manning's agent) has spoken to the Chiefs about Manning, though that would be tampering if true (a big if).

We asked Fox's Brian Billick who he would take if the Dolphins hired him - Matt Flynn or Manning. Billick didn't have a strong conviction. "If it's Stephen Ross deciding, it will be Manning," he said. "He better be prepared to pay him $28 million, $30 million." Billick likes Flynn but "the league is replete with guys with short-term success and they go someplace else for an entire year and struggle."

The Dolphins crave pass rushers, and Detroit defensive end Cliff Avril ranks among the best potential free agents. But coach Jim Schwartz made clear the Lions want to keep him. And Arizona GM Rod Graves said he expects to re-sign potential free agent Calais Campbell, the ex-UM standout.

The Cowboys are still deciding whether to place the franchise tag on linebacker Anthony Spencer, who would be a potential Dolphins target if he hits the market. “Spencer’s been a very good player,” coach Jason Garrett said. “We’re not ready to make that decision.”

Iowa left tackle Riley Reiff, projected to go to Miami in some mock drafts, said he has played only one game at right tackle (in his redshirt freshman year) but envisions no problems switching to that side if he’s picked by a team that’s set at left tackle, such as the Dolphins. "I'd be happy to move over,'' he said. Reiff was very complimentary of Ken O'Keefe, Iowa's longtime offensive coordinator who was recently hired by Philbin as receivers coach.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

hooshoops
02-24-2012, 10:41 AM
anthony spencer is way overrated...got the best pass rusher in the league opposite him every down and still can't get consistent play...spencer no thanks for what he thinks he's worth

not buying upshaw or ingram are in play for miami in the top 10...not buyin it at all

CaneHammer
02-24-2012, 10:44 AM
anthony spencer is way overrated...got the best pass rusher in the league opposite him every down and still can't get consistent play...spencer no thanks for what he thinks he's worth

not buying upshaw or ingram are in play for miami in the top 10...not buyin it at all

Pre combine and workouts who do you see us taking Hoops?

hooshoops
02-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Pre combine and workouts who do you see us taking Hoops?

barring a trade out i think it comes down to one of the following four...

coples
reiff
tannehill
decastro

in the event that blackmon was to fall to us which i don't see happening but anyways i think he'd be in play...

i don't see us trading up or out i just think its too costly and frankly very difficult...

if we miss on manning and flynn i think tannehill jumps to the top of the target list...trumps everything else...if we bring in flynn or manning i think its down to coples or reiff...if they're gone i believe strongly its decastro

i believe ireland would pluck a right tackle like reiff before he would a interior player like decastro though...

free agency could change this if we get a tackle or a de/pass rusher but thats just the way i see it goin down

ireland won't take de/olbs who lack ideal measurables in the top 10...thus upshaw and ingram i think are out...

blackmons the only thing i think could throw a wrinkle in this...and again thats only if we have a qb like manning or flynn...if not tannehill i think trumps all including blackmon

BigNastyDB13
02-24-2012, 11:25 AM
barring a trade out i think it comes down to one of the following four...

coples
reiff
tannehill
decastro

in the event that blackmon was to fall to us which i don't see happening but anyways i think he'd be in play...

i don't see us trading up or out i just think its too costly and frankly very difficult...

if we miss on manning and flynn i think tannehill jumps to the top of the target list...trumps everything else...if we bring in flynn or manning i think its down to coples or reiff...if they're gone i believe strongly its decastro

i believe ireland would pluck a right tackle like reiff before he would a interior player like decastro though...

free agency could change this if we get a tackle or a de/pass rusher but thats just the way i see it goin down

ireland won't take de/olbs who lack ideal measurables in the top 10...thus upshaw and ingram i think are out...

blackmons the only thing i think could throw a wrinkle in this...and again thats only if we have a qb like manning or flynn...if not tannehill i think trumps all including blackmon That's what I'm afraid of. As a Big 12 fan I've seen enough of Tannehill to hate that pick. Coples didn't impress as a DE last year, taking a RT 8th overall when you lack any kind of playmakers outside of Marshall is ridiculous especially when you've already used 2 extremely high picks on the Oline. Its about damn time this team started drafting playmakers early. Take Kendall Wright and upgrade our piss poor WRs outside of Marshall and we might **** around and accidentally score a few points.

PlexGod
02-24-2012, 11:26 AM

i think your right especially if we get a QB like manning for Flynn and invest a ton of money into those guys Ireland is going to want to keep that QB upright and not let him get killed back there and i think Reiff would be the pick. I know dolphin fans are going to moan and get pissy about the pick but with manning back there that has to be the pick. Then grab a DE/OLB or TE in the second round and BPA the rest of the draft. Hopefully a Saftey and a decent TE can come out of this draft as dolphins.

miamiron
02-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Good Lord a right tackle at #8
HE BETTER BE A PERENNIAL ALL PRO AND A FUTURE HALL OF FAMER

hooshoops
02-24-2012, 11:29 AM
That's what I'm afraid of. As a Big 12 fan I've seen enough of Tannehill to hate that pick. Coples didn't impress as a DE last year, taking a RT 8th overall when you lack any kind of playmakers outside of Marshall is ridiculous especially when you've already used 2 extremely high picks on the Oline. Its about damn time this team started drafting playmakers early. Take Kendall Wright and upgrade our piss poor WRs outside of Marshall and we might **** around and accidentally score a few points.

i didn't say its what i would do i just pointed out with what i know of ireland etc and what i've seen i think its the way its goin down...i believe if manning comes here reiff is very very much in play whether we want it or not...they are gonna want to protect peyton manning that will come from ross you can guarantee that...peyton must be protected...if its flynn i think it might be a little different cause he's a solid athlete but ireland loves guys with great measurables and coples has the prototype on that...

absolutely zero doubt in my mind though no manning no flynn tannehills the guy if he gets to us...

Fintastic2124
02-24-2012, 11:32 AM
That's what I'm afraid of. As a Big 12 fan I've seen enough of Tannehill to hate that pick. Coples didn't impress as a DE last year, taking a RT 8th overall when you lack any kind of playmakers outside of Marshall is ridiculous especially when you've already used 2 extremely high picks on the Oline. Its about damn time this team started drafting playmakers early. Take Kendall Wright and upgrade our piss poor WRs outside of Marshall and we might **** around and accidentally score a few points. What exactly do you see from Tanny that you don't like? I haven't paid close attention to him, but everyone here seems to like him alright.

PlexGod
02-24-2012, 11:32 AM
That's what I'm afraid of. As a Big 12 fan I've seen enough of Tannehill to hate that pick. Coples didn't impress as a DE last year, taking a RT 8th overall when you lack any kind of playmakers outside of Marshall is ridiculous especially when you've already used 2 extremely high picks on the Oline. Its about damn time this team started drafting playmakers early. Take Kendall Wright and upgrade our piss poor WRs outside of Marshall and we might **** around and accidentally score a few points.

Im not a fan of the Tannehill pick either that high, but i dont think Kendall wright is worth that pick either. Coples or upshaw or like i just said if we get manning i think Reiff is the smart pick. People may not like it but Manning will score points even with our current WR corp he just needs to not get his neck crushed back there. If you want a Playmaker y not consider trading our first to the steelers for mike wallace if he gets the first round tener placed on him.

hooshoops
02-24-2012, 11:34 AM
tannehills a first round physical talent that has all the tools but he's really raw and i haven't seen a whole lot of evidence of him possessing the intangibles you want to see at this stage...but he's pretty new to the position and so there's a lot of upside

and i'm sure shermans in irelands ear about the kid also...

JFoxx
02-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I go back to what I've heard time and time again from the so-called draft experts about top 10 picks in the first round (sometimes about all 1st round picks). If they cannot make an immediate impact on your team right away, then you should pass on them. Not saying any of those suggested are or are not, just pointing out that if any of these are "prospects or may need a little work to have an impact", then we should pass on them.

datruth55
02-24-2012, 12:15 PM
I think if Blackmon were to fall to us it would bring a heck of a lot of value to the #8 pick. At that point there would be a dilemma. Do you trade down and get some more picks or do you take Blackmon?

CedarPhin
02-24-2012, 12:26 PM
I think it's going to be Reiff or DeCastro.

JerryD
02-24-2012, 12:39 PM
If it can't be used on a QB ...

I hope to get lucky ... "LSU cornerback Morris "Moe" Claiborne - could slip to that spot"

Pass Rusher is ideal ... but locking down the D-Backfield, will make the rush more effective. Hoping for Moe ... get Curly & Larry passrush stooges later!!

Consolation is Corn Fed ... but can wait for later rounds or Free Agency.

jim1
02-24-2012, 12:54 PM
I think it's going to be Reiff or DeCastro.

The thing about DeCastro is that he's an uber talented, smart, disciplined badass. We need OL but it's not the playmaking position of preference- such is life. Despite the attention given recently to the OL, it needs help, we all know that. So if arguably the best OG prospect in the last 10 or 12 years falls to you- screw it take him. Il like Reiff, but I'd rather go with the better player and see Murtha or Jerry play RT, and maybe draft an OT in the 4th rd.

If we can slide down in the 1st that's something to think about- otherwise I'm with DeCastro.

Rich22
02-24-2012, 02:47 PM
you can't take an OG at #8 the year after you took a center at #15. C'mon - this team needs play makers on both offense and defense. We need impact speed guys. You have to go DE, DB, or WR and get a guy that is big, fast, and can change a game. The only other pick would be QB if you get Manning and think you can grab his heir apparent.

jim1
02-24-2012, 03:25 PM
you can't take an OG at #8 the year after you took a center at #15. C'mon - this team needs play makers on both offense and defense. We need impact speed guys. You have to go DE, DB, or WR and get a guy that is big, fast, and can change a game. The only other pick would be QB if you get Manning and think you can grab his heir apparent.

So you're basicall advocating drafting for need. Who do you take, Michael Floyd or Kendall Wright? I'd rather take a great player, get value for my pick and draft Joe Adams in the 3rd rd. If DeCastro wasn't so elite a prospect, I wouldn;t even entertain the notion of draftin interior OL that high. But he is, and our 1st rd slot is problematic in tems of getting what we really want out of the pick, an impact offensive weapon. I'd just rather not blatanlty reach for one.

MARSHALL~LAW
02-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Just draft John Brantley, and be done with it. He has everything you need or want in a future HOF QB!. He will soon break every passing record imaginable! Dude is a BOSS!!!! Yea....I'm being sarcastic. Lol

jim1
02-24-2012, 03:37 PM
I think if Blackmon were to fall to us it would bring a heck of a lot of value to the #8 pick. At that point there would be a dilemma. Do you trade down and get some more picks or do you take Blackmon?

Ideally, take Blackmon and then trade a 4th rd pick to slide up in the 2nd rd to secure Weeden- if he's still there.

1. David DeCastro
2. Brandon Weeden
3. Joe Adams

phinfan33
02-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Ideally, take Blackmon and then trade a 4th rd pick to slide up in the 2nd rd to secure Weeden- if he's still there.

1. David DeCastro
2. Brandon Weeden
3. Joe AdamsI could easily live with your little 3 round mock here,but we also need to come outta this draft with a TE.

jim1
02-24-2012, 04:16 PM
I could easily live with your little 3 round mock here,but we also need to come outta this draft with a TE.

I agree, but easier said than done. Plus, we have Charles Clay coming back for year 2, and I think that the kid has some potential in that pass catching TE role.

That being said, my dream sequence:

Trade #8 to Bengals (the hope is they want to secure Trent Richardson if he's available at #8) for #'s 17 and 21.

1. DeCastro
1. Weeden
2. Coby Fleener
3. Joe Adams

phinfan33
02-24-2012, 04:24 PM
I agree, but easier said than done. Plus, we have Charles Clay coming back for year 2, and I think that the kid has some potential in that pass catching TE role.

That being said, my dream sequence:

Trade #8 to Bengals (the hope is they want to secure Trent Richardson if he's available at #8) for #'s 17 and 21.

1. DeCastro
1. Weeden
2. Coby Fleener
3. Joe AdamsIf your dream sequence is how it actually played out for us, i'd be one happy phins fan. I also agree with you on Clay, i like him,and i think he can bring alot more to the table for us as a pass catching hybrid TE/FB.

jim1
02-24-2012, 04:28 PM
If your dream sequence is how it actually played out for us, i'd be one happy phins fan. I also agree with you on Clay, i like him,and i think he can bring alot more to the table for us as a pass catching hybrid TE/FB.

That scenario leaves room for doubt as to DeCastro still being avaiable, but it's entirely possible. But what are you going to do, you have to try and maximize value.

BigNastyDB13
02-24-2012, 04:54 PM
i didn't say its what i would do i just pointed out with what i know of ireland etc and what i've seen i think its the way its goin down...i believe if manning comes here reiff is very very much in play whether we want it or not...they are gonna want to protect peyton manning that will come from ross you can guarantee that...peyton must be protected...if its flynn i think it might be a little different cause he's a solid athlete but ireland loves guys with great measurables and coples has the prototype on that...

absolutely zero doubt in my mind though no manning no flynn tannehills the guy if he gets to us... I know you were just predicting what Ireland would do and unfortunately I agree with you. I was just getting an early start on the venting. Its unfortunate we've had so many opportunities to add difference makers and settled for solid guys who met the criteria of Ireland and Sparano. This team needs playmakers desperately and I'm afraid we're going to piss away more high draft picks on positions that rarely have game changers.

BigNastyDB13
02-24-2012, 05:13 PM
What exactly do you see from Tanny that you don't like? I haven't paid close attention to him, but everyone here seems to like him alright. In my unprofessional opinion, just going off the 5-6 games I watched of him last year, he s more of an athlete than a QB. He looks the part physically. He has a good arm but he s erratic, misses easy throws, doesn't do the little things well. Footwork, pocket presence and despite not always being his fault, his team always found a way to lose to Big 12 teams, often times blowing some pretty big leads. He just never made me think "there's a first round pick". The 1st game I watched RG3 last year was vs K State and I texted my buddy who happens to be a Dolphins fan living in Oklahoma (aren't that many of us) and said "that Griffen is a badass ". Tannehill just screams bust to me but I could definitely be wrong. Its happened before. I'm certain though that Kendall Wright will be a badass.and certainly isn't a reach like some think.

hooshoops
02-24-2012, 05:17 PM
decastro tops all lineman in the bench press at the combine...34 reps

Valandui
02-24-2012, 05:53 PM
decastro tops all lineman in the bench press at the combine...34 reps
If we take some other OL over him (barring a trade back) I will be thoroughly pissed.

iwastherein72
02-26-2012, 04:57 AM
This franchise simply CANNOT keep squandering high draft picks year after year on POSITIONS THAT DO NOT WARRANT picks that high. The fanbase (at least the smart ones) won't stand for it any more.

There are solid OL EVERYWHERE in this sport and that position... all 5 of them... does not need addressing with 1st round picks. NEVER. That is a marker for a CHEAP STINGEFLINT front office that won't pay playmakers what they are worth. This philosophy equals MEDIOCRITY.

And they are also notoriously bad at drafting unheard-of guys 1 round ahead of their consensus position based on combine/measurables alone. It makes ireland look like a numbers-cruncher with no feel for talent, who thinks he is smarter thn anyone else.

I fully expect ireland to live up (down?) to the Peter Principle and go 1st Rd. OL, 2nd Rd. defense, and then try to find acorns to move the chains. Or sign CFL guys.

And Matt Moore will be the starter next year too. He'll botch the Manning/Flynn thing too.

Mr772
02-26-2012, 01:16 PM
We are getting a high profile guy at QB, I'm pretty sure of that mandate from Ross (Manning, Flynn, RG3 - maybe even Tannehill if all else falls through). Taking OL in the 1st is not what this team will be doing IMO, unless they trade back. I see Ingram as the guy they need. Coples isn't a part of the discussion after his weak senior year, he is going to fall like a rock to a sucker team. We need pass rushers desperately, Taylor is gone now and Wake is the only consistant pressure guy we have left. This is a game of pressure and without it the D will struggle big time.

If they go all in on Manning, which seems likely from reports I have seen, I'm not sure they are going to have the cap room to go after a guy like Avril if Avril even makes it to the market. This is going to make an impact pass rusher a pretty likely play in the draft. Ingram is the guy I like the most as a pressure guy he is big and fast, he can get pressure inside or outside, and drop in coverage - that's a nice option on any defense.

In the WCO, the land of 3 step drops and quick hitting plays we don't need stud OLine play at every position to keep our QB clean.

phinfan33
02-26-2012, 01:32 PM
We are getting a high profile guy at QB, I'm pretty sure of that mandate from Ross (Manning, Flynn, RG3 - maybe even Tannehill if all else falls through). Taking OL in the 1st is not what this team will be doing IMO, unless they trade back. I see Ingram as the guy they need. Coples isn't a part of the discussion after his weak senior year, he is going to fall like a rock to a sucker team. We need pass rushers desperately, Taylor is gone now and Wake is the only consistant pressure guy we have left. This is a game of pressure and without it the D will struggle big time.

If they go all in on Manning, which seems likely from reports I have seen, I'm not sure they are going to have the cap room to go after a guy like Avril if Avril even makes it to the market. This is going to make an impact pass rusher a pretty likely play in the draft. Ingram is the guy I like the most as a pressure guy he is big and fast, he can get pressure inside or outside, and drop in coverage - that's a nice option on any defense.

In the WCO, the land of 3 step drops and quick hitting plays we don't need stud OLine play at every position to keep our QB clean.If we do go defense with our 1st pick, Ingram is who i can see Ireland&Co. targeting due to the different ways he can bring pressure. We do like versatility in our Front 7, and he has it.

Krush
02-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Stick with carey at right tackle and long at left, bring in a quality backup, bring manning in and let him sling it, get blackmon and let clyde gates take the top off the secondary Boom!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there it is.

Travis34
02-26-2012, 01:37 PM
This franchise simply CANNOT keep squandering high draft picks year after year on POSITIONS THAT DO NOT WARRANT picks that high. The fanbase (at least the smart ones) won't stand for it any more.

There are solid OL EVERYWHERE in this sport and that position... all 5 of them... does not need addressing with 1st round picks. NEVER. That is a marker for a CHEAP STINGEFLINT front office that won't pay playmakers what they are worth. This philosophy equals MEDIOCRITY.

And they are also notoriously bad at drafting unheard-of guys 1 round ahead of their consensus position based on combine/measurables alone. It makes ireland look like a numbers-cruncher with no feel for talent, who thinks he is smarter thn anyone else.

I fully expect ireland to live up (down?) to the Peter Principle and go 1st Rd. OL, 2nd Rd. defense, and then try to find acorns to move the chains. Or sign CFL guys.

And Matt Moore will be the starter next year too. He'll botch the Manning/Flynn thing too.

theganggreen.com

maybe thats the site you were trying to find?