PDA

View Full Version : RGIII Measures OVER 6'2

Hayden Fox
02-24-2012, 10:26 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/24/height-not-a-problem-for-robert-griffin-iii/

Next question...

MadDog 88
02-24-2012, 10:46 AM
The concerns I have with RG III is his being uncomfortable under center and ability to execute play action. He doesn't get much depth before wanting to settle his feet. He also has a hard time reading blitzes. I really like him but would be shocked if he winds up in a Dolphins uniform.

datruth55
02-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Plays a lot smaller than his size.

DcRy82
02-24-2012, 12:12 PM
The concerns I have with RG III is his being uncomfortable under center and ability to execute play action. He doesn't get much depth before wanting to settle his feet. He also has a hard time reading blitzes. I really like him but would be shocked if he winds up in a Dolphins uniform.

RG is a very bright guy, and a world class athlete. I think the problems you see with him are very coachable changes. Cam Newton had those same concerns.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Plays a lot smaller than his size.

What does that even mean? That sounds like more of an excuse to take away the fact that he ACTUALLY IS 6'2 +...

WelcomeBack
02-24-2012, 01:29 PM
So, since he is 6'2", my question is why in the world does he consistently leave the pocket horizontally when it is unnecessary to do so?

hooshoops
02-24-2012, 01:38 PM
heck he measured out better than i expected pretty much across the board...as for why he bails laterally from clean pockets to me he's got a lot of make one read and if its not there bail in him...but i guess thats to be expected from a guy who has the legs and the ability to make big plays with them rg3 does...you still are gonna want this kid to stand in though when he has a clean pocket and deliver vs risk taking so much contact hoofing it...

but i'm tellin you all right now this kid isn't the same caliber nfl qb prospect cam newton was...he's just not...take a chance on all the physical tools and the clean off the field and the quality kid he is sure but don't expect this guy to light up the league like cam newton as a rook...heck i'd be hoping for him if he starts week 1 being able to get thru 16 games with a clean bill of health...

datruth55
02-24-2012, 02:15 PM
RG is a very bright guy, and a world class athlete. I think the problems you see with him are very coachable changes. Cam Newton had those same concerns.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

What does that even mean? That sounds like more of an excuse to take away the fact that he ACTUALLY IS 6'2 +...
It means that when I watch him play he shrinks down in the pocket instead of standing tall and looking down field. His first instinct is to get out of the pocket and create throwing lanes for himself (i.e. no lineman in front of him) and he's more comfortable seeing the field with no obstructions.

I don't care that he's 6'2"+, good for him. Still wouldn't take him.

Valandui
02-24-2012, 03:30 PM

He's a big guy that plays like a small guy?

ckparrothead
02-24-2012, 03:48 PM

I'll tell you what it means. It means he plays with a wide stance from the pocket with a bent posture. The reason? So that he's ready to cut and run, using his legs to make plays at any moment. That's a double-edged sword. The legs absolutely help you make plays but at the same time the stance and posture detract from your ability to see the field, making you less patient. Then when you make it a point to try and stick with the reads instead of cutting and running, you end up holding the ball too long and getting sacked.

That's what playing smaller than he measures means, from a quarterback's perspective. The other thing is he may have weighed 223 lbs at the measurement, but I have no doubt he was full of water and ready to pee himself like Isaac Hilton did a few years ago (actually wet himself while waiting in line). At any point a person can bulk their weight up by 9 or 10 pounds just by water and diet, if that's what they want to do. I don't think he PLAYED at 220 lbs. I think he played more along the lines of 210 lbs. So when people make it a point to say he's the exact same measurements Donovan McNabb was when he measured up, I think it's different. Different body types, probably different playing weights, etc. Donovan ballooned nicely in the pros, giving him some extra padding...and his playing style didn't dictate that he get smacked a lot. Robert Griffin got smacked A LOT in college. How's that going to work out in the pros where the game is even faster?

Just saying, he's a nice player...nice prospect...but I don't think he's all that he's cracked up to be, and when datruth55 says "plays smaller than he measures" that is what he's talking about.

TedSlimmJr
02-24-2012, 04:22 PM
I think a few of those pounds are artificial. All you have to do is pay attention to the manner in which Griffin gets tackled to see that he doesn't play that big. He goes down easy upon contact with his lower half flying up in the air when he tries to lower his shoulder. I can't tell you how many times I've seen routine tackles on Griffin and wonder if he'll get back up. He doesn't take contact like a 223 pounder typically does. He looks small when it matters.... on contact.

Either way, it's a good thing for Griffin that he measure 6'2" and 223.

He also gets sacked once every 14 attempts, which is the worst ratio for any of the top dozen or so QB's in this draft. You'd think a kid that athletic wouldn't get sacked so much.

DcRy82
03-05-2012, 01:48 PM
I understand all of that, but don't feel the majority of it is as big of a deal as people are making it to be. I guess my main point is that the majority of the things that he has issues with appear to be coachable. And there have definitely been players smaller than him with plenty of success.

Kistner10
03-05-2012, 05:15 PM
I think the whole playing smaller than his size thing is c***. You could say the same thing about Vick, who is over an inch shorter, and he still has been able to make plays throwing the ball in this league. The important thing regarding his ability to know when to take off and when to stand tall and throw the ball to me is coaching. Andy Reid has made Vick a completely different player. Vick is actually a threat to stand in the pocket and throw downfield now. If we draft RGIII then it's up to Philbin and Sherman to mold RGIII.

The one concern I do have about RGIII is durability. He doesn't have a lot of weight on him and seems to get hit A LOT, as some people have mentioned. If he takes those hits in the NFL then he's going to miss some games every year, just like Vick.