PDA

View Full Version : Rams must trade pick before free agency/ We will know soon if RG3 goes to Dolphins.

Playmaker76
02-24-2012, 11:27 PM
The Rams will trade the #2 overall pick before free agency. They have to if they are serious about trading down and acquiring more picks. Why? Because if Manning/Flynn goes to Washington/Miami the Rams are sh*t out of luck. The Browns at 4 will just let RG3 slide right to them knowing Washington and Miami already have their QB's and nobody else will move ahead of them for RG3. So if you're the Rams don't you have to trade the pick before free agency? If they wait too long they lose tons of leverage and there might not be any buyers for the pick. I expect their pick to be traded within the next three weeks. We should know if the Dolphins are serious about moving up very soon.

finfan54
02-24-2012, 11:38 PM
This is true and that billboard is making a lot of sense now.lol. We really hold alot of cards because flynn and manning make a lot of sense for us and at same time Ireland loves rg3. playing all the cards. smart.

Hayden Fox
02-24-2012, 11:53 PM
I would love to see Fisher get screwed. LOL.

Miamifinz
02-24-2012, 11:57 PM
I would love to see Fisher get screwed. LOL.

He's the head coach of the St. Louis Rams, he's already screwed :lol:

SR 7
02-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Ireland is in love with RG3? According to who cuz thats the first I've heard personally.

finfan54
02-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Ireland is in love with RG3? According to who cuz thats the first I've heard personally.

wow. baylor.

Roman529
02-25-2012, 12:18 AM
Some "experts" are saying the Colts may take RG3 first....if this happens the Phins should trade their entire draft to move up to #2 and get Luck. ALSO, the Colts do not have to wait until draft day to start negotiating with the player they want to pick first. They can offer Luck or RG3 a contract right now.
http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-02-23/sports/31089979_1_andrew-luck-qb-prospect-colts-owner

SR 7
02-25-2012, 12:23 AM
wow. baylor.

That doesn't mean he is in love with him.

Very naive way of looking at it and you quote it as if he came out and said, this is my man, i love him i want him. You put words out there from connecting dots that don't really mean much. Thats like saying, hello, UM is in Miami, of course we love all their players coming out every year.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

I think RG3 rumor is to make negotiating with Luck easier but I simply don't see that happening. No way in chance.

Valandui
02-25-2012, 12:24 AM
Hopefully we're not in on this.

Vampire
02-25-2012, 12:52 AM
This is a more interesting variation on your thought. Cleveland signs Flynn, then Washington signs Manning. RG3 may just fall to number 8. Who knows...

sinPHIN
02-25-2012, 12:56 AM
you could be right but it wont happen (i hope it does) imo. just think there will still be 3 or 4 teams that need a franchise qb, even after the flynn/manning thing. and manning is guranteed

whodizking
02-25-2012, 02:16 AM
Don't forget Vikings said they will look at a QB if it falls in their lap, not sure if they just stirring it up just in case so they can trade it.

electrolyte
02-25-2012, 02:21 AM
Don't forget Vikings said they will look at a QB if it falls in their lap, not sure if they just stirring it up just in case so they can trade it.

Bluffing. Ponder is going to be good. They got their QB.

oasis
02-25-2012, 03:09 AM
I don't think we'll be in on this unless Manning's health doesn't look good and Philbin doesn't believe in Flynn.  I think it's more likely that Manning's health will be good enough for serious consideration AND that Philbin believes Flynn is good enough.  Therefore, option 3, trading up for RG3, is probably not going to come into play.

Geforce
02-25-2012, 08:06 AM
The Rams would be stupid to trade their pick before free agency started, especially if the Dolphins and Redskins get their QBs before the draft. They're just too many variables that can happen between now and the draft to make a decision that early.

The question is not just about someone trading up to the #2 pick but also how far down the Rams are willing to go and still get the player(s) they want/need.

I remember Jimmy Johnson trading our pick before the draft and we missed out on Randy Moss, who could have given Marino a great passing threat going into his last playing days.

3rdandinches
02-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Miami - Manning
Cleveland - Flynn
Washington - let's RG fall to them and has Tannehill as their back up plan

With St.Louis wondering where their bounty of picks are!

Danny
02-25-2012, 10:39 AM
The Rams would be stupid to trade their pick before free agency started, especially if the Dolphins and Redskins get their QBs before the draft. They're just too many variables that can happen between now and the draft to make a decision that early.

The question is not just about someone trading up to the #2 pick but also how far down the Rams are willing to go and still get the player(s) they want/need.

I remember Jimmy Johnson trading our pick before the draft and we missed out on Randy Moss, who could have given Marino a great passing threat going into his last playing days.for the record, JJ said many times that if he had stay put he still would NOT had taken Moss. He's said many times he'd have taken Vonny Holiday.

Ozzy rules!!

EmperorPhin
02-25-2012, 11:41 AM
This is a more interesting variation on your thought. Cleveland signs Flynn, then Washington signs Manning. RG3 may just fall to number 8. Who knows...
And then we take Tannehill and RG3 sits in the green room and slides to you guessed it the Green Bay Packers

SF Dolphin Fan
02-25-2012, 01:01 PM
I think Miami waits until/if Matt Flynn is franchised. I really think despite all the Peyton Manning talk that Flynn is their guy. That could change, though, if Miami has to give up draft picks to get him. Then Manning or Robert Griffin III come into play IMO.

finfan54
02-25-2012, 01:09 PM
12 days. the fun starts.

utahphinsfan
02-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Miami - Manning
Cleveland - Flynn
Washington - let's RG fall to them and has Tannehill as their back up plan

With St.Louis wondering where their bounty of picks are!

That is a very plausible scenario. Plus, I'm all for Fisher and the ewes getting shafted.

ahmilli
02-25-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm starting to like RG3, he killed it at the combine! But whoever we get, im happy with :)

Playmaker76
02-26-2012, 02:55 PM
These next couple of weeks will be so interesting. The Rams ability to trade down will be dictated by what happens with Flynn and Manning. Should the Rams wait for free agency to begin and try to trade the pick then or should they trade it now?

Geforce
02-26-2012, 03:56 PM
for the record, JJ said many times that if he had stay put he still would NOT had taken Moss. He's said many times he'd have taken Vonny Holiday.

Ozzy rules!!
I remember JJ say that he still would not have taken Moss but I think it was more about JJ trying to save face.

It's also another reason why coaches should not have final say on personnel decisions.

JerryD
02-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Most trades are made the day of the draft, or near the draft ... when they get desperate & clearly decide what they want. Teams also try to make Stealth Moves ... the Rams would shop the move to everyone looking for higher bid.

Don't see the Rams trading early ... big offers come when teams are desperate & have a clear vision of how things will fall ... mean while, they'll wait & watch. Their target might lose value before the draft, & competitiors fall away.

roy_miami
02-26-2012, 11:44 PM
If I were the Rams I would call Washington's bluff and just draft RGIII then up the asking price on a trade.

MexDolfan
02-27-2012, 12:30 AM
I think Miami waits until/if Matt Flynn is franchised. I really think despite all the Peyton Manning talk that Flynn is their guy. That could change, though, if Miami has to give up draft picks to get him. Then Manning or Robert Griffin III come into play IMO.
No. Dolphins seems truly focused on Manning, they think he creates the best chance to win now. His hiring includes picking a rookie QB early in the draft, when value matches cost to replace Peyton once he choses to retire.

If Peyton doesn't accepts a contract based on his execution and his health continues being a major question mark, Matt Flynn will be a cool plan B.

In other words, there's a questionable guy that wants to survive as GM. So his primary goal is to satisfy his boss, who's asking for an unquestionable franchise quarterback. If he can't get a healthy Peyton Manning for Miami, he will hear the head coach and make everything to grab Matt Flynn. Then finally, in desperation if he fails to get Manning and Flynn he could be throwing the entire draft to get RG3 or Andy Luck. I don't see it happening, but as if he fails to get a quality QB, Ireland will be joining the list of unemployed persons, so you can bet he'll work an amazing trade to hide his errors.

MexDolfan
02-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Most trades are made the day of the draft, or near the draft ... when they get desperate & clearly decide what they want. Teams also try to make Stealth Moves ... the Rams would shop the move to everyone looking for higher bid.

Don't see the Rams trading early ... big offers come when teams are desperate & have a clear vision of how things will fall ... mean while, they'll wait & watch. Their target might lose value before the draft, & competitiors fall away.
Market values moves up & down.

Today RG3 is the last Coke on the desert. He's seen as the last chance to grab a starter for this season.

What if one of top QB prospects (Luck or RG3) gets injured or involved in some serious problem?
Then 2nd pick overall transforms from gold to plumb. So finding a trade partner now could be wise for them.

Who could be a trade partner of the Rams?

Cleveland Browns
One team with questions on every potential starting QB on the fold. They'll ask for any potential upgrade like Peyton, Flynn, Luck or RG3.
But as every time I remember Mike Holgrem is their President, can't stop guessing: Will they install a WCO system? And my self-answer is "Soon". So I don't like the idea of RG3 in a Browns' uniform, mostly because of football fundamentals.
On the other side, this team also looks like the perfect trade partner for St Louis, as they are one of three teams with two first round pick as they count with 4th & 22nd selections. Also they have 29 millions on cap space, which is more than enough to go for Flynn or Manning.

Washington Redskins
This team has no real starting passer on its roster.
They are supposed to be on "win now" mode and their plan includes going for Manning, trading up for RG3 or picking Tannehill as last resource. Thus aside of adding another quality FA to deal with growing pains from rookies or as safety net in case of suffering with Peyton's health.
Redskins own the 6th pick of this year and something close to 41 million on cap space.

Seattle Seahawks
This team needs a serious upgrade at QB, but could use some FA as 2012 solution.
Pete Carroll wants a pocket passer more than a former spread offense QB. He's asking for Flynn, Henne, Orton and Manning in such order.
But it's interesting how ticket sales could lead GM to trade up for RG3.
After losing a flip coin, they have the 12th draft pick and 34.8 million on cap space that could increase easily.

Miami Dolphins
With Matt Moore as only serious option, this team will look for an upgrade at QB at any price.
Jeff Ireland is a GM urged to find a franchise QB. His main target is Peyton Manning, if he fails to grab him or finds it too risky because of his medical condition (as expected) then Ireland will hear the head coach and move fast for Matt Flynn, but could find in serious problem once Flynn gets an insane amount of dollars from Seattle, Tampa Bay or Kansas City. With close to 16 millions on cap space, our team could be focused on going for 2nd pick overall or trust in questionable rookie.
Dolphins aren't perfect trade partners as a jump from 8th pick to 2nd overall requires huge compensation. Rams could get 1st & 3rd rounds of 2012 plus 1st & 4th of 2013.
Worse case scenario comes with the possibility that Colts rework Manning's contract, use the top pick on Luck, and Flynn goes to somewhere else than Cleveland or Washington.
That could mean no Manning, no Flynn, no Luck, no RG3 and no Tannehill.

Are you scared?

ckparrothead
02-28-2012, 04:52 PM
I think John Clayton is right that the Dolphins are not involved in this. The price is probably too prohibitive. I'd heard that a trade like the one that netted Eli Manning will do the trick but it's possible the Rams would try and get more if they have to go all the way down to the Dolphins' pick at #8 overall where they will most assuredly not get guys like Morris Claiborne or Matt Kalil...maybe not Justin Blackmon either.

I think it's coming down to Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn, with Ryan Tannehill floating around as a backup plan, and Brandon Weeden as a backup to the backup plan.

ticophin
02-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Scared? No, in that case, Weeden @ 8 is not a bad consolation prize for the next few years...How many? Nobody knows, its not like Manning won multiple SBs with Ind, Weeden is right now one SB win away from Manning´s total...

2413fanphins
02-28-2012, 05:48 PM
I think John Clayton is right that the Dolphins are not involved in this. The price is probably too prohibitive. I'd heard that a trade like the one that netted Eli Manning will do the trick but it's possible the Rams would try and get more if they have to go all the way down to the Dolphins' pick at #8 overall where they will most assuredly not get guys like Morris Claiborne or Matt Kalil...maybe not Justin Blackmon either.

I think it's coming down to Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn, with Ryan Tannehill floating around as a backup plan, and Brandon Weeden as a backup to the backup plan.

Which frankly, im comfortable with.

MexDolfan
02-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Scared? No, in that case, Weeden @ 8 is not a bad consolation prize for the next few years...How many? Nobody knows, its not like Manning won multiple SBs with Ind, Weeden is right now one SB win away from Manning´s total...
En verdad me dejas sorprendido amigo tico.

Con esa lógica Weeden ya es igualito a Dan Marino.

Under such terms, Weeden is on the same level than Marino.

finfan54
02-28-2012, 06:22 PM
we probly dont need to be involved in this. we probly already gave them a potential offer. Washington IMO, is really the only player ready to deal right now but they will also wait to see what happens. So once again, st louis needs to deal this pick soon. good luck st louis!

Manning spotted in miami today? hangin out in the bubble?

3rd and long
02-29-2012, 05:06 PM
The Rams could just draft RGIII and trade him after the draft. NBA Style. I don't think they have to trade before free agency. People will still want RGIII after the draft.

trojanma
02-29-2012, 06:05 PM
RG3 to Miami(by trading multiple picks to go to #2) does not make sense. This team is built to be a Qb and a few pieces away from being a playoff contender. That is why we are going after Manning.

By mortgaging the bounty of picks Miami would have to use to get a guy like RG3 then you lose your chance to build on the team you have. You are essentially admitting that it is a total rebuild.

The FO have repeated that Manning is priority one then if that is the case you will see the Dolphins pick up a developmental prospect down the road such as Tannehil or Cousins.
The rest of the draft and FA will be spent creating a team that will help Miami win immediately with Manning.

If we fall to our plan B Matt Flynn then we may not necessarily invest high draft resources on another Qb unless one falls in our lap.

If for some reason we get neither Manning or Flynn and those players go to either Cle or Was then it gets interesting. We could potentially get RG3 without mortgaging the farm.

ckparrothead
02-29-2012, 06:33 PM
I look forward to seeing what happens at the position for Miami. Every option has its own appeal.

finfan54
03-01-2012, 09:12 PM
http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/3/1/2835419/browns-may-not-be-leaning-towards-drafting-rg3

miadolphins101
03-02-2012, 11:29 AM
RG3 to Miami(by trading multiple picks to go to #2) does not make sense. This team is built to be a Qb and a few pieces away from being a playoff contender. That is why we are going after Manning.

By mortgaging the bounty of picks Miami would have to use to get a guy like RG3 then you lose your chance to build on the team you have. You are essentially admitting that it is a total rebuild.

The FO have repeated that Manning is priority one then if that is the case you will see the Dolphins pick up a developmental prospect down the road such as Tannehil or Cousins.
The rest of the draft and FA will be spent creating a team that will help Miami win immediately with Manning.

If we fall to our plan B Matt Flynn then we may not necessarily invest high draft resources on another Qb unless one falls in our lap.

If for some reason we get neither Manning or Flynn and those players go to either Cle or Was then it gets interesting. We could potentially get RG3 without mortgaging the farm.

RG3 has done nothing but impress me over the past year. He won the Heisman, wants to go to law school, and upped the ante at the combine. Seems to be really levelheaded too. Saw a good one on one interview with him and good overall combine coverage on a youtube video. Would love to see a guy like that get to Miami. Good leader, lots of potential, and young! Here's the link to the video BTW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr05DkztjKk