PDA

View Full Version : What would it REALISTICALLY Cost the Dolphins to Move from 8 to 2 to get RG3?

Perfect72
02-25-2012, 12:54 PM
No Madden trades please.
Just want to know what it would/should REALISTICALLY cost the Dolphins to move from 8 to 2 IF they wanted RG3.
Not debating if it is a good idea or not. Just want to know the projected COST in terms of draft picks and/or players.

I know there is a Draft Value chart out there, so there is probably a cost relative to that; but there is also a trade similar to what the Jets did when they got Sanchez trading picks & players for the right to pick Sanchez.

Just want to know REALISTIC scenarios for a Dolphins move from 8 to 2.

Thanks

Ryan1973
02-25-2012, 01:06 PM
No Madden trades please.
Just want to know what it would/should REALISTICALLY cost the Dolphins to move from 8 to 2 IF they wanted RG3.
Not debating if it is a good idea or not. Just want to know the projected COST in terms of draft picks and/or players.

I know there is a Draft Value chart out there, so there is probably a cost relative to that; but there is also a trade similar to what the Jets did when they got Sanchez trading picks & players for the right to pick Sanchez.

Thanks

I would say at least their #1 and #2 picks this year and next year.

Elliott 1
02-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Way,way too much considering that Weeden is a better QB and far more NFL ready.

Kdawg954
02-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Realistically the floor is probably our first and 2nd this year and our first next year.

Krush
02-25-2012, 01:22 PM
2 1st rounds and a 3rd

SQuinn17
02-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Firsts this yr and next year and a 2nd or 3rd

Romy148
02-25-2012, 01:28 PM
if we have to give the first and second rounds picks for this and the next to year, just to move up 6 spots to get a rookie that god knows how he will turnout I say pass. get Flynn or Manning

dlockz
02-25-2012, 01:32 PM

Based on what evidence. I dont think you could find many people that think Weeden outplayed Griffin this year. Griffin play completely outshined Weeden and there is nothing that suggests Weeden is more NFL ready

Kdawg954
02-25-2012, 01:33 PM
if we have to give the first and second rounds picks for this and the next to year, just to move up 6 spots to get a rookie that god knows how he will turnout I say pass. get Flynn or Manning

I think it all depends on Joe Philbin . . . if Joe Philbin thinks RGIII is better than Flynn and Manning isn't "looking" the part, he needs to atleast attempt to get the QB he feels can have the best tenure with the team. I guess what I'm saying is, don't just settle for Flynn because he doesn't cost anything draft pick wise . . . get "your" QB and don't be scared to trade up to do it. This isn't about opinions on any of the guys amongst us . . . this is about the coach getting the right guy for his team. It may not be RGIII and this is a moot point, but if it is RGIII, you are doing yourself a disservice not atleast taking a look and offering a reasonable package to move up.

Personally I hope Flynn is the guy and we can address other areas . . . just not so sure that is the case.

Kdawg954
02-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Based on what evidence. I dont think you could find many people that think Weeden outplayed Griffin this year. Griffin play completely outshined Weeden and there is nothing that suggests Weeden is more NFL ready

Plus Weeden will be 29 come start of the season and who is to say he is gonna march in and take over for Matt Moore. I like that he is an option, but are we really raising Weeden above RGIII because of the price? Last time I checked they played in the same conference and RGIII put up better numbers and was more efficient. I dunno, I just want Philbin to get his guy and lets get it started.

dlockz
02-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Plus Weeden will be 29 come start of the season and who is to say he is gonna march in and take over for Matt Moore. I like that he is an option, but are we really raising Weeden above RGIII because of the price? Last time I checked they played in the same conference and RGIII put up better numbers and was more efficient. I dunno, I just want Philbin to get his guy and lets get it started.

I have no problem with Weeden in the 3rd or 4th round but he is no more NFL ready than Nick Foles, people just like to assume because he is older he is more ready and history has not shown that to be of any reality. Its laughable that people want to act like he is a better prospect than Griffin and even if they were same age I still think Griffin is a better prospect.

fgrocker
02-25-2012, 01:51 PM
With the Rams secondary being so poor, I wouldn't be surprised if they asked for Miami to include Vontae in any trade.

EmperorPhin
02-25-2012, 02:00 PM
1 Super Bowl

traptses
02-25-2012, 02:05 PM
I think it all depends on Joe Philbin . . . if Joe Philbin thinks RGIII is better than Flynn and Manning isn't "looking" the part, he needs to atleast attempt to get the QB he feels can have the best tenure with the team. I guess what I'm saying is, don't just settle for Flynn because he doesn't cost anything draft pick wise . . . get "your" QB and don't be scared to trade up to do it. This isn't about opinions on any of the guys amongst us . . . this is about the coach getting the right guy for his team. It may not be RGIII and this is a moot point, but if it is RGIII, you are doing yourself a disservice not atleast taking a look and offering a reasonable package to move up.

Personally I hope Flynn is the guy and we can address other areas . . . just not so sure that is the case.

Couldn't have said it better myself. We have tried settling on an average QB before, because it was cheaper, and look how that turned out....

I'm not saying Flynn can't be that guy. Actually, I think he is going to be a good QB. But if Philbin doesn't believe that Flynn CAN be a franchise QB, then go all out to get who you think can. Don't settle on a lesser option because it won't cost as much

ozman
02-25-2012, 03:08 PM
I would give this year 1st & 2nd & next year #2 plus Brandon Marshall.
Then pick up Stevie Johnson in Free agency

crossfit93
02-25-2012, 03:16 PM
i would give this years 1st and 2nd, and next years 2nd. and if we had too, throw in koa misi!

MiamiMuss
02-25-2012, 03:22 PM
With the Rams secondary being so poor, I wouldn't be surprised if they asked for Miami to include Vontae in any trade.
Theres no way we trade Vonta.Other then Vonta our cbs are average.

Mr. Day
02-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Dolphins need to keep all of their picks, because there are far too many holes on this team.

Elliott 1
02-25-2012, 03:57 PM
The idea of the Dolphins trading up to draft RG is ludicrous. It is a totally unrealistic thought. There is 0 chance of it happening.

There is a far greater chance that he slides to the 8th slot, and then the Dolphins consider drafting him.

3rdandinches
02-25-2012, 04:07 PM
What ever it takes, who knew Indy would pass on Luck?

That's who we're talking about right? Cause there's no other QB worth trading up for.

darefugee
02-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Whatever they say is realistic, is realistic. If you make them happy, trade is on. If not, no trade.

Pretty simple.

HybridPHIN 23
02-25-2012, 04:30 PM
i'd easily give up our 2nd and next years 1st to move up to #2 this year.....

look at it this way......... RG3 is a rare talent at the qb position. He has the tools to make your offense as diverse as any in the league. There is a drop off in talent after the first 5 picks or so.... so I'd wouldnt mind giving up the 2nd and next years #1 if it meant the difference between finally getting a young franchise QB, apposed to another tackle, pass rusher, etc. Show some stones for once, Miami !

robfila
02-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Flynn is what Miami needs nough said

Miami1
02-25-2012, 06:19 PM
I think Cleveland has the best shot at trading up. Miami does not have enough high picks to compete with the Browns. And who would want to over compensate for moving up only 6 spots.

miamiron
02-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Cut > T.McDaniel + Y.Bell + T.Culver = 13.5mil saved

Bells cap hit is 5.8 million
Culvers cap hit is 800k
McDaniels cap hit is 3 million

I get 9.6 million not 13.5 as you stated

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/yearly/

3rdandinches
02-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Bells cap hit is 5.8 million
Culvers cap hit is 800k
McDaniels cap hit is 3 million

I get 9.6 million not 13.5 as you stated

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/yearly/

Y.Bell 6.2
T.McDaniel 4.18
T.Culver .925
11.3 mil

We're both wrong, lol!

I was listening to a show the other day and they stated Culver was 3mil against the cap, my bad.

Roman529
02-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Trade Value Chart - (Using a chart from Walter Football)

The second overall pick is worth = 2600 points

Our 8th overall pick is worth 1400 points + Our 42 overall pick is worth 660 points +
Our 3rd round pick (74th overall) is worth 375 points + Our 4th rounder (106th overall) is worth 222 points......or a total of 2657 points.

So basically to move up from 8th to 2nd would cost us our first four picks.

2413fanphins
02-25-2012, 08:13 PM
except for I highly doubt anybody is going to go by that chart anymore given the contract demands arent even close to what they used to be.

furthermore, who in their right mind would trade 4 picks to move up 6 spots?

how many picks did atlanta give up to take jones, and how many spots did they move up? A 1st, 2nd (or was it a 3rd, i've read both), 4th, and this years 1st and 4th to move up 21 spots.

and this chart suggests that we should give up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th this year to move up six... am I understanding that correctly? I'm pissing all over that chart before I use it to move up six spots.

2413fanphins
02-25-2012, 08:15 PM
I realize that in the charts case... the points is probably what you base it off of moreso than how many picks you give up. However, how do you put a point value on future draft picks when they have no point value due to not knowing which pick in the given round it is? I hate this ****ing chart! LOL

Roman529
02-25-2012, 08:46 PM
except for I highly doubt anybody is going to go by that chart anymore given the contract demands arent even close to what they used to be.

furthermore, who in their right mind would trade 4 picks to move up 6 spots?

how many picks did atlanta give up to take jones, and how many spots did they move up? A 1st, 2nd (or was it a 3rd, i've read both), 4th, and this years 1st and 4th to move up 21 spots.

and this chart suggests that we should give up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th this year to move up six... am I understanding that correctly? I'm pissing all over that chart before I use it to move up six spots.

Hey I didn't make up the chart....Jimmy Johnson did. Walter Football basically revised/updated the chart to make it realistic for the true value of players today. If you want to upgrade from a Cadillac to a Ferrari you have to be willing to cough up some cash/picks. :up:

luduporcu
02-25-2012, 08:48 PM
i would give this years 1st and 2nd, and next years 2nd. and if we had too, throw in koa misi!

KOA MISI??? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...!!! He's d**k: a BUST as a pass-rusher. DREAM ON!!!

Perfect72
02-25-2012, 08:57 PM
what is the NFL Draft Value Chart differential between #2 & #8 ?

luduporcu
02-25-2012, 09:14 PM
It isn't good enough just to add up the values of picks. Nor is it good enough to say "Two firsts and a Second". CLEVELAND has TWO First Round picks in THIS SEASON's Draft. One of them is the 4th Pick. That means that if ST. LOUIS wants BLACKMON or KALIL (i.e., a topshelf WR and OLman), by trading w/CLEVELAND they would still GET exactly what they want, and via that later First Round pick, a very solid WR or OLman. So, a trade w/CLEVELAND gives ST. LOUIS BOTH of its biggest "wants", before it even gets into the Second Round. Maybe not BOTH BLACKMON and KALIL, but certainly ONE OF THEM plus another topshelf WR/OLman, of which this Draft has MANY!

No sir! CLEVELAND is ST. LOUIS's preference BIGTIME. With the above trade, ST. LOUIS could REALLY clean up bigtime in this year's Draft.

2413fanphins
02-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Hey I didn't make up the chart....Jimmy Johnson did. Walter Football basically revised/updated the chart to make it realistic for the true value of players today. If you want to upgrade from a Cadillac to a Ferrari you have to be willing to cough up some cash/picks. :up:

touche... I'm glad you mentioned it as I had wondered and simply forgot to ask. thanks for that.

Csonka39
02-25-2012, 11:23 PM
No Madden trades please.

Thanks

1 and 3 and a 5th next year

BGtoKNfor6
02-26-2012, 01:33 AM
Look at what Atlanta gave up to move from 27 to 6 last year. However, our 8th pick is worth considerably more than the 27th pick in the draft as well as is our picks in the top 3 rounds. On the flip side though there is quite the difference between trading for the 6th overall pick and 2nd.

It really doesn't matter though, there is a slim chance to none that we would give up this years and next years draft to move up 7 spots when there would be plenty of great talent on the board to fill other spots we need.

Daman379
02-26-2012, 01:57 AM
We're SOL with this years 8th spot! I'd trade down and get as many picks as possible so we can have more value for are picks. Humm let see draft an edge rusher at 8 reach, a rt tackle at 8 reach, trade up for RG3 LOL, The only logic I see is trading up for Luck and wasting 3 first rounders or hoping someone like Trent Richardson falls to us! My dream scenario is trading down to 15-18 draft best available yes best available player and picking up an extra second and forth round pick!

MiamiNative0722
02-26-2012, 02:24 AM
If we can't get Manning I'd pay whatever it takes to get RG3

WVDolphan
02-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Well, if they get RG3 its going to cost them at least one lifetime fan.

BlueFin
02-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Two number 1's based on the draft value charts.....with the 2nd pick being the equivalent of the 12th pick in the draft. So you can probably figure on next years 1st and 2nd to move from 8 to 2. Thats why some of us were not thrilled when the team started winning meaningless games. I'd stay put and draft Tannehill (Assuming Manning and Flynn are ruled out).

The Goat
02-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Well, if they get RG3 its going to cost them at least one lifetime fan.

Isn't that statement a bit oxymoronic?

LANGER72
02-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Trade Value Chart - (Using a chart from Walter Football)

The second overall pick is worth = 2600 points

Our 8th overall pick is worth 1400 points + Our 42 overall pick is worth 660 points +
Our 3rd round pick (74th overall) is worth 375 points + Our 4th rounder (106th overall) is worth 222 points......or a total of 2657 points.

So basically to move up from 8th to 2nd would cost us our first four picks.

Thanks Roman.
I think Cleveland will get into a bidding war because the covet RGIII.
It will cost everything you mentioned above plus a player or two or additional picks.
Trading up is just ridiculously expensive. To give up that much for a college player...LOL..not going to happen.
However, I would give up all that for Manning or Brady in their prime, and most GM's would too.

uga3406
02-26-2012, 12:35 PM

No way Weeden is better then RG 3. I would not take a chance on a 28 yr old qb. I'll pass.

uga3406
02-26-2012, 12:38 PM

I agree-Let Philbin pick the qb who best suits his system. Whoever that may be (Manning, Flyyn, RG 3, etc etc etc).

uga3406
02-26-2012, 12:42 PM
I would give this year 1st & 2nd & next year #2 plus Brandon Marshall.
Then pick up Stevie Johnson in Free agency

No...:crazy:

dolpns13
02-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Too much.. Save the picks to draft Barkley next year please!

dlockz
02-26-2012, 01:04 PM

problem is there is no guarantee we will have better ammo to get Barkley and we seem to wait till next year every year and it never happens

Hawaii 5-0
02-26-2012, 01:27 PM
I just hope they get their guy, be it RG3, Manning, Flynn, or Tannehill, make your choice and go hard after him. Do whatever you need to get him. period. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend i know better than Philbin, Sherman, and Ireland, I just hope these guys have the balls to go after their first choice!

BlueFin
02-26-2012, 02:50 PM

You can probably forget that fantasy....the Dolphins are obviously finally going to fix the QB problem now...and no matter what we will not likely be drafting high enough to get Barkley.

maralieus
02-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Why are we even considering this? That would be way too much invested in an unproven QB. 2 1st rounders, a 2nd, a 3rd, maybe more. Sounds like too much to me.

Phins117
02-26-2012, 07:24 PM
To be honest I really dont care how much it is. If he can play at a level where we dont have to worry about the qb position anymore, please do what it takes to get him. Everyone is saying oh its to much.... to much. Well im really tired of these short term answers. I honestly think RG3 will be a fine qb if the trade is there lets do what it takes. And if he turns out to be **** oh well. Matt moore has been decent. And i can honestly say im ok with him as our starter.

undefeated72
02-26-2012, 07:36 PM
As much as I would like RG III to be a Dolphin it will cost way to much to trade up since it will be a seller's market. What the Dolphins needed to have happen didn't happen. And that was to also have Landry and Barkley in the draft. Along with Manning and Flynn it would have become a buyer's market or at the very least the Dolphins would have a qb to pick in the 8 slot. The Dolphins could use some good luck for a change. Here is hoping some comes their way in FA of the draft.