PDA

View Full Version : Scout insists that QB RGIII "cannot play quarterback" in the pros

Tiko377
02-26-2012, 02:23 AM
One NFL scout insists that Baylor QB Robert Griffin III "cannot play quarterback" in the pros and is a poorer-throwing version of Michael Vick.

Another scout quoted in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel article linked below is very high on Griffin, so take this with a grain of salt. "He cannot play quarterback," said the scout who's down on RG3. "He's just running around winging it. He has no idea how to play quarterback. He's got no vision. He's got no accuracy. No touch. Anything you look for in an NFL quarterback, he doesn't have it. You want him to run around and throw the ball and just keep running, he can do that. He's (Michael) Vick, but not as good a thrower."

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draft-outlook-es4aae2-140451293.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)
Feb 26 - 12:41 AM

Yessir
02-26-2012, 02:35 AM
Who cares what this dude says. Same guys who let Joe Montana and Tom Brady go in the the 6th round...at the of the day these scouts aren't any more informed than Joe Fan.

sinPHIN
02-26-2012, 02:41 AM
this guy is an idiot

KippyIA1354
02-26-2012, 02:49 AM
I know this will not be popular on this board and many scouts..... but I tend to agree with this certain scouts sentiments. First off, to move up and get RGIII,will be very costly for a team, like the Dolphins that is very close to competing. Secondly, if you look at the resumes of RGIII and Mike Vick coming out of college,Vick by far has/had the better body of work. Vick definately throws the ball better and scampers better. Needless to say....If RGIII was wearing a Dolphin uniform in September I'd be ecstatic!!

MadDog 88
02-26-2012, 02:53 AM
If he can only find bad things about RGIII I would think his opinion is biased.

gardena19
02-26-2012, 02:57 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/03/onsp2-1.gif

dlockz
02-26-2012, 02:58 AM
the scout is an idiot. over 70 percent completion, 10 yards per attempt 37 tds 10 int yea thats winging it

phinzfan21
02-26-2012, 03:01 AM
It's not even opinion to say most of what he said is wrong, just fact. Yeah, he is real clueless and has no accuracy at all. Anybody can see some of his games and know that's not the case. That doesn't mean he will be a great NFL QB though, but it certainly doesn't mean anybody can be stating such rubbish as fact about him.

Wrong facts:

1) He cannot play quarterback - Well actually he did, and does. Shockingly, at a high level too. So much so he won the Heisman trophy for playing the aforementioned position. NOt to mention turned a complete crap team around, displaying skill and leadership.
2) He's just running around winging it - Well actually he was quite the prolific passer, hitting receivers all over the field, and his wheels were a big bonus when needed.
3) He's got no vision. He's got no accuracy. No touch - Wrong again. He actual saw open receivers on the field and threw the ball to them accurately as well as display the deep ball and mid range passes. think his intermediate game showed touch is not some big issue either.

Truth is none of us know how he will do, but the evidence clearly doesn't suggest he is some no good bum.

sinPHIN
02-26-2012, 03:08 AM
I know this will not be popular on this board and many scouts..... but I tend to agree with this certain scouts sentiments. First off, to move up and get RGIII,will be very costly for a team, like the Dolphins that is very close to competing. Secondly, if you look at the resumes of RGIII and Mike Vick coming out of college,Vick by far has/had the better body of work. Vick definately throws the ball better and scampers better. Needless to say....If RGIII was wearing a Dolphin uniform in September I'd be ecstatic!!
vick does not throw the ball better

SR 7
02-26-2012, 03:29 AM
I don't listen To what scouts say much. I take my eyes far more often than some scouts. Some see stuff that makes you scratch your head for example, Jake Long can't play LT or Levi Brown will be an elite LT or even as far as uou can get Henne in rd 2 that is the same as Ryan with the 1st pick.

thefranchisedef
02-26-2012, 03:47 AM
How did vick have more prolific college career? Dumb statement!

RevisChrist
02-26-2012, 04:15 AM
I'm sure this scout is from a team that desperately is hoping to draft RG3. Otherwise this guy should be fired immediately.

RG3 is a much better qb prospect then Vick was. Vick was for most of his career a running Qb, Griffen will be a Qb that can run, it's a big difference.

electrolyte
02-26-2012, 04:46 AM
at this point, all i care about is winning ;/

i don't care if it's RG3, Flynn, Manning, or Sideshow bob. Take me to a super bowl please.

SanDiegoFinFan7
02-26-2012, 06:24 AM
No. Manning+ RT in draft= success. Draft a qb next year when the crop is stronger. We already have a good backup in Moore. On the RG3 front according to Rotoworld: Miami, Seattle, Wash are all strongly considering a blockbuster trade...

Mr. Day
02-26-2012, 07:06 AM
I think this scout is saying this, because he is upset that he will not be throwing at the combine.

Valandui
02-26-2012, 07:32 AM
You'll always find a scout who absolutely hates any prospect. Having said that, dude was definitely over the top with the hate, but he does bring up some very legitimate issues. Other than his deep ball, he leaves a lot to be desired as a passer. He definitely lacks vision. If his first read is covered, he immediately bails out of the pocket. These are things that can be worked on, but if anyone thinks he steps right in and makes us contenders, you're crazy.

allsilverdreams
02-26-2012, 08:49 AM
I insist that the world will come to an end the year of 2000 when the ball drops on new years eve

Andyman
02-26-2012, 10:17 AM
One NFL scout insists that Baylor QB Robert Griffin III "cannot play quarterback" in the pros and is a poorer-throwing version of Michael Vick.

Another scout quoted in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel article linked below is very high on Griffin, so take this with a grain of salt. "He cannot play quarterback," said the scout who's down on RG3. "He's just running around winging it. He has no idea how to play quarterback. He's got no vision. He's got no accuracy. No touch. Anything you look for in an NFL quarterback, he doesn't have it. You want him to run around and throw the ball and just keep running, he can do that. He's (Michael) Vick, but not as good a thrower."

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draft-outlook-es4aae2-140451293.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)
Feb 26 - 12:41 AM

Sounds like a scout justing throwin' junk around. No one who's watched this guy play can honestly say he can't do all those things. C'mon....

zach attach
02-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Man, I hope it's not a scout for the Fins..

Maybe the guy is saying that RG3 is a product of the system they run, but not compatible in the NFL. There was Danny Wuerffel (sp?), greta for the Gators, but not so much in the NFL.

I'd take the risk on him. I believe Ireland will go with the safest of bunch they are looking at for qb.

J Tes
02-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Who cares what this dude says. Same guys who let Joe Montana and Tom Brady go in the the 6th round...at the of the day these scouts aren't any more informed than Joe Fan.

Montana was drafted in the 3rd. I bet most scouts would know that

BlueFin
02-26-2012, 11:12 AM
For the record....Joe Montana was a 3rd round pick....not a 6th.

retarmyfinfan
02-26-2012, 11:18 AM
I don't care how good or bad he is, I just don't want us to throw a boat load of picks away to get him. We need the draft picks.

NYPhinzFan
02-26-2012, 11:22 AM

I'm baffled by your post. I would love for you to give an in depth explanation of the comparison between Griffin and Vick. I watched both play in college and can't draw a single parralel other than race and athletic ability.

zachblitz54
02-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Probably a smokescreen by a scout from a team that really wants him. Probably works for the Browns or Redskins or maybe us. Hard to believe anything you hear at this time of year.

lurking
02-26-2012, 12:50 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/02/Sunglasses_shock-1.gif

dlockz
02-26-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm baffled by your post. I would love for you to give an in depth explanation of the comparison between Griffin and Vick. I watched both play in college and can't draw a single parralel other than race and athletic ability.

true vick wasnt close to the passer that griffin was in college

DeathStar
02-26-2012, 12:59 PM
I bet this scout is the same one that said Ryan Leaf is a going to be great...

dlockz
02-26-2012, 12:59 PM

well that was almost every scout

BladeRunner
02-26-2012, 01:01 PM

Agreed. With the draft coming up, everyone has an agenda.....:ponder:

J Tes
02-26-2012, 01:28 PM
There was a lot more than one scout that thought that

j-off-her-doll
02-26-2012, 02:26 PM
There are some things to really like about RG3, but there are some things that really give me pause. If he falls to 8, which wouldn't be as crazy as some here seem to think, I'd pass. I think the boom/bust maths just don't add up for the value in the first half of the first round.

dreday
02-26-2012, 06:54 PM
don't they say this about every QB.....now? didn't they say this about tebow and he led the broncos to the AFC divisional round.this is more media fodder.they say this about every "controversial" QB that runs alot...

Valandui
02-26-2012, 07:08 PM
don't they say this about every QB.....now? didn't they say this about tebow and he led the broncos to the AFC divisional round.this is more media fodder.they say this about every "controversial" QB that runs alot...
You mean when Denver's defense helped them back into the playoffs in the second weakest division in football?

dreday
02-26-2012, 07:11 PM
You mean when Denver's defense helped them back into the playoffs in the second weakest division in football?

so it was only denvers d that got them past the steelers?

finfan54
02-26-2012, 10:56 PM
i hope cleveland and washington are listening.

Awsi Dooger
02-26-2012, 11:00 PM
There are some things to really like about RG3, but there are some things that really give me pause. If he falls to 8, which wouldn't be as crazy as some here seem to think, I'd pass. I think the boom/bust maths just don't add up for the value in the first half of the first round.

Agreed. Tyler Palko was playing quarterback in the pros last season. That in itself shoots down the scout's premise. I've upped my evaluation of Griffin a little bit since the season ended.

But I understand where the scout is coming from. Griffin spends plenty of time looking like a scattergun athlete playing quarterback. He'll bail out at the first sign of trouble and head sideways, no threat of looking downfield. Then he'll stop on a dime and often find someone for a huge play. That scenario played out repeatedly against TCU in the opener and throughout the season, including the winning pass against Oklahoma. Great. But it's hard not to worry about projection to the NFL. Not run of the mill NFL games. The league has softened itself to allow virtually any quarterback to make a moderate contribution if they work at it. But against the cream teams in physical battles Griffin's style is troublesome at best. Hard to imagine him standing in the pocket in the 4th quarter after game long bruises and adversity.

I think he'll be a popular intriguing player, somewhat of a fraud, the Mike Leach of quarterbacks. For one thing, Griffin played in a bubble screen conference and had the vast majority of his success at home. I remember watching him game after game beginning in 2008 because I had wagers on those games. Griffin never struck me as a premier prospect toward the NFL. He certainly wasn't remotely capable of leading his team to the championship game, with a brief lead in the 4th quarter, which Michael Vick managed against FSU as a freshman. I can't shake the impressions of Griffin flopping all over the field and complaining when things weren't going well, like at Oklahoma State in 2011 or during two earlier losses to Connecticut. He couldn't move the ball at Kansas for three quarters last season against literally the worst defense in the country.

My instinct is Griffin's considerably more fragile than conventional wisdom, mentally and physically. But he won't exactly be facing the '85 Bears in the current mush NFL.

finfan54
02-26-2012, 11:02 PM
btw, michael vick has tons more character and smarts than RG3.

finfan54
02-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Agreed. Tyler Palko was playing quarterback in the pros last season. That in itself shoots down the scout's premise. I've upped my evaluation of Griffin a little bit since the season ended.

But I understand where the scout is coming from. Griffin spends plenty of time looking like a scattergun athlete playing quarterback. He'll bail out at the first sign of trouble and head sideways, no threat of looking downfield. Then he'll stop on a dime and often find someone for a huge play. That scenario played out repeatedly against TCU in the opener and throughout the season, including the winning pass against Oklahoma. Great. But it's hard not to worry about projection to the NFL. Not run of the mill NFL games. The league has softened itself to allow virtually any quarterback to make a moderate contribution if they work at it. But against the cream teams in physical battles Griffin's style is troublesome at best. Hard to imagine him standing in the pocket in the 4th quarter after game long bruises and adversity.

I think he'll be a popular intriguing player, somewhat of a fraud, the Mike Leach of quarterbacks. For one thing, Griffin played in a bubble screen conference and had the vast majority of his success at home. I remember watching him game after game beginning in 2008 because I had wagers on those games. Griffin never struck me as a premier prospect toward the NFL. He certainly wasn't remotely capable of leading his team to the championship game, with a brief lead in the 4th quarter, which Michael Vick managed against FSU as a freshman. I can't shake the impressions of Griffin flopping all over the field and complaining when things weren't going well, like at Oklahoma State in 2011 or during two earlier losses to Connecticut. He couldn't move the ball at Kansas for three quarters last season against literally the worst defense in the country.

My instinct is Griffin's considerably more fragile than conventional wisdom, mentally and physically. But he won't exactly be facing the '85 Bears in the current mush NFL.

Just saw the tape of RG3 on with the NFLN crew and he was talking about how he is working with his coaches on timing routes and some of the more basic NFL stuff. When anything is in doubt, check out the character and work ethic in the end, because it doesnt matter who you are, if you work hard at being the best, thats what you will become.

Fraud???interesting choice of words. Too bad not many really believe this.

HybridPHIN 23
02-26-2012, 11:36 PM

Denvers defense was solid, but tebow was the 4th quarter miracle worker that got it done almost every single time. Where was that defense when they were shredded by Detroit and New England? Where were they when they beat Minnesota 35-32 ? On Tebow's back.

Valandui
02-27-2012, 12:25 AM
Denvers defense was solid, but tebow was the 4th quarter miracle worker that got it done almost every single time. Where was that defense when they were shredded by Detroit and New England? Where were they when they beat Minnesota 35-32 ? On Tebow's back.
All glory to the Tebow.

luduporcu
02-27-2012, 12:31 AM

Yes they are.

luduporcu
02-27-2012, 12:33 AM
this guy is an idiot

Could be. Or it could be that he's right. From what I've read about RG III, I'd opt for "idiot". But I'm not clairvoiant, either.

phinking
02-27-2012, 01:11 AM
I hope The Cleveland Browns and the Washington Redskins share his sentiments.

ckparrothead
02-27-2012, 04:31 AM
That sounds to me like disinformation just because he also said that Griffin is not accurate.

At that point you're just getting a negative opinion out there in order to get it in the papers, for whatever reason.

HenneBlows
02-27-2012, 05:47 AM
I love how they never release the name of the scout making these projections... If you are a professional "SCOUT" your personal opinion should be heard with your name attached to it... Not hidden by the media... Coward

Flip Tanneflop
02-27-2012, 10:47 AM
That sounds to me like disinformation just because he also said that Griffin is not accurate.

At that point you're just getting a negative opinion out there in order to get it in the papers, for whatever reason.

I dont see him as very accurate either.

Cant wait to see him trying to look down the barrel of Vince Wilfork or somebody coming right up the middle and he needs to deliver a throw that isnt a bubble screen. Something that comes from a read and not a pre-designed catch the snap and fire from the shotgun throw. RGIII ****ing blows. Im really getting sick of the hype for this kid.

sm0kinfins
02-27-2012, 11:12 AM
btw, michael vick has tons more character and smarts than RG3.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/02/105440-1.jpg

Heinegrabber
02-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Was this the guy that had Gabbert rated number 1 coming out?

Phinatic8u
02-27-2012, 11:41 AM
I dont see him as very accurate either.

Cant wait to see him trying to look down the barrel of Vince Wilfork or somebody coming right up the middle and he needs to deliver a throw that isnt a bubble screen. Something that comes from a read and not a pre-designed catch the snap and fire from the shotgun throw. RGIII ****ing blows. Im really getting sick of the hype for this kid.

Yeah, because all he threw was bubble screens.

:bobdole:

umpalu
02-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Not that I am against RGIII and would be fine if we got into a position to take him, but don't Heisman trophy QBs usually not do so hot in the NFL? I am just going off memory not facts as I don't know what those would be.

WelcomeBack
02-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Was this the guy that had Gabbert rated number 1 coming out?

You do realize exactly how many people were riding the Blaine Gabbert train, right?

I admit I was one of them, until about a day or two before the draft when I started watching more.