PDA

View Full Version : NFL scout compares QB Andrew Luck to Matt Ryan as a "really good game manager"

Tiko377
02-26-2012, 02:25 AM
One NFL scout compares Stanford QB Andrew Luck to Matt Ryan as a "really good game manager" who's been overhyped by the media.

"He is a Matt Ryan-type player," said the scout. "He can't carry the team on his shoulders, but he's a really good manager. His arm isn't even close to Aaron Rodgers' and he doesn't have Aaron's feet. He's smart, competitive, tough. His teammates love him. The media has put so much pressure on this kid. It's unbelievable. They've basically anointed him Jesus Christ."

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draft-outlook-es4aae2-140451293.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)
Feb 26 - 12:10 AM

sinPHIN
02-26-2012, 02:31 AM
its funny how a year ago everyone was saying that luck was a once in a lifetime prospect, now everyone is changing there minds.

MadDog 88
02-26-2012, 02:59 AM
This scout must be employed by the Rams.

Kthurmus23
02-26-2012, 03:29 AM
If Andrew Luck fails it wont be because of the talent he has it. If he fails it will be the huge pressure he is under.

SR 7
02-26-2012, 03:31 AM
1 thing that is certain he's a GREAT game manager. I'd take that only because he can make every throw.

dlockz
02-26-2012, 03:36 AM
neither player has been overhyped geesh

NorFlaFin
02-26-2012, 10:11 AM
This stuck out.

Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama: 6-1, 272. Projects as an OLB in a 3-4 or a strong-side LB in a 4-3. "The only reason Upshaw could go ahead of Ingram is because Upshaw actually played up and down and Ingram played all over the place," one scout said. "I don't think Upshaw was really outstanding in the Senior Bowl. I thought he was just ordinary. He's very physical, but he gets cut a lot. That's because he's stiff." Two-year starter with 16 sacks. "(People) think he's Cornelius Bennett and he's not," another scout said. "He's a good, tough, nasty college football player that I think will get blocked a lot in the NFL."

Scored just 9 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

"He's just a tough (expletive)," a third scout said. "He's really not a burn the edge guy. He is not fast. He's built like a fire hydrant. Maybe a 3-4 team will take him in the first.

Really a 9?

Vaark
02-26-2012, 10:42 AM
This stuck out.

Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama: 6-1, 272. Projects as an OLB in a 3-4 or a strong-side LB in a 4-3. "The only reason Upshaw could go ahead of Ingram is because Upshaw actually played up and down and Ingram played all over the place," one scout said. "I don't think Upshaw was really outstanding in the Senior Bowl. I thought he was just ordinary. He's very physical, but he gets cut a lot. That's because he's stiff." Two-year starter with 16 sacks. "(People) think he's Cornelius Bennett and he's not," another scout said. "He's a good, tough, nasty college football player that I think will get blocked a lot in the NFL."

"He's just a tough (expletive)," a third scout said. "He's really not a burn the edge guy. He is not fast. He's built like a fire hydrant. Maybe a 3-4 team will take him in the first.

Really a 9?

Well on the negative side, that's not as impressive as Cromartie's 12, but it is 50% better than Vince's "6"

As far as being game managers, I dunno enough about Luck to agree or disagree. However, since it's all about what Charlie Sheen calls "Winning!" I'd venture to say that given what each has had to work with, Flacco taken @18 who has been accused of being a game manager whether he is so or not, in retrospect, has proven to be a much better value than Ryan, whether he is or not, taken @3. So if we end up taking Tannehill, it would be nice to see a recreation of that 08 first round draft come to fore.

shanegerard
02-26-2012, 10:45 AM
An outside linebacker can score a 0 on the wonderlic and it wont matter. He has one job - Get the QB. Joey Porter wasn't exactly a Genius.

LANGER72
02-26-2012, 12:06 PM
This stuck out.

Really a 9?

It amazes me that he could attend college and be less intelligent than a 1st grader. Educational malpractice.

AZStryker
02-26-2012, 12:23 PM
An outside linebacker can score a 0 on the wonderlic and it wont matter. He has one job - Get the QB. Joey Porter wasn't exactly a Genius.

I'm sorry but that is a stupid comment. OLB's need to be able to drop into coverage, make pre-snap reads, and study their opponent so they can be a more effective pass rusher. Instinct only players fizzle out fast in the NFL.

armyphin
02-26-2012, 12:25 PM
It amazes me that he could attend college and be less intelligent than a 1st grader. Educational malpractice.
Since when does being a college athlete have anything to do with getting education.

BladeRunner
02-26-2012, 12:34 PM
This stuck out.

Really a 9?

Yea, a 9 is a bit low on the totem pole. Not everyone can be blessed with a high or medium level of intelligence. I was discussing the very same thing with a friend of mine over a beer. He commented.... would you rather say "I is Rich" or "I am Poor"....

phinfan33
02-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Well Andrew Luck is the "game manager" i wish we were drafting.