PDA

View Full Version : How far will Dwayne Allen (TE Clemson) drop?

WaxOn WaxOff
02-26-2012, 02:56 PM
4.9 forty pushes him out of the first, perhaps lower 2nd, early 3rd. If we could get him in the 3rd, it is a steel.

MiamiMuss
02-26-2012, 03:01 PM
I agree but in the 3rd honestly id rather take Green...Allen still wont drop out of the 2nd just from game tape alone.

mandal24
02-26-2012, 03:03 PM
He's not falling to the 3rd. If we want him, we'd have to grab him in the 2nd.

2413fanphins
02-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Guys like this dropping a bit in the 2nd is why id love to drop in the first a ways and pick up an extra 2nd. 2 and 2nd rounders will be of great value. Mayock said 4.38 on millers 40

JCane
02-26-2012, 03:15 PM
He was never a first round pick anyway.

We all knew he wasn't a speedy tight end if you watched him at Clemson.

2413fanphins
02-26-2012, 03:25 PM
I dont really see any TE being selected in the first.

phinfan33
02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
I'd rather we get Coby Fleener if we're gonna get a TE in the 2nd rd.

sinPHIN
02-26-2012, 05:07 PM
why do you guys judge a player off a 40? 40 and game speed are two different things. allen is the #1 te for the fact he can stay in and block, and he is a good reciever.

2413fanphins
02-26-2012, 05:29 PM
I like fleener, allen and the charles. In that order

Kdawg954
02-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Doubt the best pass catching TE in the draft is going to fall in a underwhelming draft at the TE position. I think TE's are going to be overvalued quite a bit this draft and we probably just need to take that loss and address other areas. I can live with Fasano and Clay at TE.

WaxOn WaxOff
02-26-2012, 06:29 PM
I don't want a TE in the 2nd. I am hoping he drops because of the 40 time. It wouldn't be the first time that happened.

WaxOn WaxOff
02-26-2012, 06:38 PM
One idiot's thoughts....

"Dwayne Allen (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630216/dwayne-allen) – Clemson – 6-3, 255: No one lost more money on Saturday… he was the #1 rated TE on many analysts’ lists, with a heavy emphasis on the word “was”….a brutal 40 time (4.89) will surely cost Allen tons of money. He was projected as perhaps a late 1st round draft pick but now, unless he clocks in the 4.75 range at his Pro Day, Allen’s stock may have plummeted to the 3rd round at best. Allen won the Mackey Award as the top college tight end in the nation. I really like his receiving skills. He looks very polished whether coming off the line of scrimmage or out of the backfield as an H-Back, but the 4.89 40 time will give plenty of team’s pause. I liked Allen so much prior to the combine that I had the Cowboys actually picking him in the 2nd round in my latest Cowboys mock draft. Not anymore."

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/02/25/combine-observations-tight-ends/

jlfin
02-26-2012, 09:54 PM
why do you guys judge a player off a 40? 40 and game speed are two different things. allen is the #1 te for the fact he can stay in and block, and he is a good reciever.

You just described Fasano

2413fanphins
02-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Dude wont even drop much. He was a 2nd rounder before and thats where hell stay.

WaxOn WaxOff
02-26-2012, 11:12 PM
You just described Fasano

Fasano is a better blocker. Allen catches everything, and uses his body better to shield the defender.

finfan54
02-26-2012, 11:30 PM
well, fleener may drop too cus he didnt go combine, had a foot injury, and now people are starting to wonder.

ledarius Green is safer pick to me. I like him in the third but he may climb now.

Mudder1310
02-26-2012, 11:38 PM
What kind of separation does he get from defenders? I need a TE that gets his hands on the ball and moves the chains. I'm not looking for one to be the home run threat. If he runs a 4.8 but gets clear of defenders for catches all the time that's fine.

ckparrothead
02-27-2012, 03:24 AM
He's a pretty balanced runner that runs good routes and can run a little bit after the catch. I don't think of him as a better prospect than Fred Davis, worse as a matter of fact because Davis always had extremely interesting run after catch ability. As I've been saying a while, I see him more as an H-Back, which you use to get out in space and find the holes between zones, get the ball in his hand for some run after catch opportunities. He's not the type of H-Back that you'll toss on the outside for man coverage against corners, though. The in line guys are guys you feel are more physical mismatches, in my opinion. They're the guys that challenge the seams. To me, H-Backs are guys that you scheme open a little more.

FinaticalOne
02-27-2012, 11:27 AM
I have to agree with most, there will be no TE taken in the first round, and Allen will go no later than the 2nd round. Having said that, does anyone know anything about OU's James Hanna, kid lit it up at the combine. He has the ideal size, and superior speed, but does he have good hands?...and can he block? He could be a nice mid/later round pick if he last that long.

FinaticalOne
02-27-2012, 11:42 AM
I have to agree with most, there will be no TE taken in the first round, and Allen will go no later than the 2nd round. Having said that, does anyone know anything about OU's James Hanna, kid lit it up at the combine. He has the ideal size, and superior speed, but does he have good hands?...and can he block? He could be a nice mid/later round pick if he last that long.

Disregard this post, I just read somewhere that he has terrible hands. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

j-off-her-doll
02-27-2012, 12:04 PM
CK, from what I've seen, Allen's RAC is one of his better attributes. I think one of the reasons people are so shocked by his 40: he's quicker than he his fast (especially for a guy his size). I don't think he'll fall to the 3rd, but if he does, I'd snatch him up right quick.

ckparrothead
02-27-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm not saying he's a BAD run after catch guy, just the opposite I believe I said he's got some interesting run after catch skills. When I point out his deficiencies in that department viz a viz Fred Davis, it's not an insult per se. Fred Davis was an excellent, excellent RAC player when he was coming out of USC. He could do really great things with the ball in his hands and was explosive. Allen can run better with the ball in his hands than Orson Charles, but he's not the RAC player that Aaron Hernandez or Fred Davis were, IMO.

Dwayne Allen is a good blocker. You wouldn't shy him away from using him on the line as a blocker, IMO. But when you want to use him in the passing game, that's where I think you have to make him a move guy and sort of scheme him open a little more. He's not the guy I prefer to be releasing off the line up into the seam from an in-line position. That's why I keep calling him an H-Back.

I agree that 3rd round is a pretty compelling value for him.

WaxOn WaxOff
02-27-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't see him as a seam threat Hernandez/Gronk type. That is the flavor of the day, I know. He looks alot like Anonio Gates, more an underneath/body position reciever. I am not saying he is as good as Gates, obviously. It may not be what we need. I am just thinking about how we could get some help at that position after round 2. Green looks too thin, not much else that we could get that late is exciting.