PDA

View Full Version : 2012 #8 pick is...............

normaniii
02-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Since Ireland has been GM, the first round draft pick has always filled a need on depth chart, with the notion that the #1 pick will start day 1.

2008-no LT-Jake Long
2009-no 2nd CB-Vontae Davis
2010-no NT-Jared Odrick (Solai was out of picture and Starks was to slide over)
2011-no C- Mike Pouncey

In my mind the big void is RT. With Coyle wanting a flex D, IMO one of Solai/Langford will be resigned, leaving a front 4 of Wake-Starks-Solai/Langford-Odrick.

No matter what Ireland spins in media, he is if anything pragmatic.

Get ready then for Reilly Reiff/Jonathan Martin :(

mfish41
02-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Since Ireland has been GM, the first round draft pick has always filled a need on depth chart, with the notion that the #1 pick will start day 1.

2008-no LT-Jake Long
2009-no 2nd CB-Vontae Davis
2010-no NT-Jared Odrick (Solai was out of picture and Starks was to slide over)
2011-no C- Mike Pouncey

In my mind the big void is RT. With Coyle wanting a flex D, IMO one of Solai/Langford will be resigned, leaving a front 4 of Wake-Starks-Solai/Langford-Odrick.

No matter what Ireland spins in media, he is if anything pragmatic.

Get ready then for Reilly Reiff/Jonathan Martin :(

I really don't think Odrick was a need pick. They really wanted Dan Williams and he was taken by Arizona. The whole thing with starks moving back inside was either to save face after the odrick pick or was kept secret for draft strategy purposes. In my opinion, Odrick was a high value pick in their eyes.

SR 7
02-26-2012, 06:56 PM
No, we weren't in need of a NT and Odrick was NOT selected to be a NT never was even considered one.

NOW, 4-3 switch we NEED a DE, we NEED a RT, we NEED a G, we NEED a QB, and we NEED an ILB if Ireland chooses to make sure Dnasby is outside and not inside.

CedarPhin
02-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Yeah, your rant would be great, except we're not switching to a full-time 4-3, more of a 3-4/4-3 hybrid.

Markcalius
02-26-2012, 07:53 PM
No, we weren't in need of a NT and Odrick was NOT selected to be a NT never was even considered one.

NOW, 4-3 switch we NEED a DE, we NEED a RT, we NEED a G, we NEED a QB, and we NEED an ILB if Ireland chooses to make sure Dnasby is outside and not inside.

Didn't need a NT??? I guess you missed a lot of threads around here back then.

PSU Cane
02-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Odrick was taken b/c Parcells fell in love with him at the Senior Bowl and he's built his teams over the years on the offensive and defensive lines. Picking where we did, i think he went BPA in his mind with thinking toward the future.

EJay
02-26-2012, 09:28 PM
If Ireland drafts an o-lineman with our first round selection, specifcally at #8, it better be David DeCastro. That said, if he is hell bent on drafting a RT such as Reiff or Martin, it better be after he's traded down 10 or so spots and picked up some extra draft picks in the process.

sinPHIN
02-26-2012, 09:50 PM
ireland is usually about trading down so we'll see. thats the only way i want a rt.

2413fanphins
02-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Well in all honesty, things being as they are now id suggest we look at tannehill. If we get peyton or whatever, an Ol at 8the becomes eazier to swallow. Based on the fact that i am generally way off base we will take ingram or floyd.....

finsfanjay13
02-27-2012, 12:35 AM
I'm convinced that Ross has specifically told Ireland to draft a play maker and not a boring *** pick like an offensive lineman in this draft. I'd be more surprised to see a Reiff, etc than a Tannehill. I think Ross would rather take the sexy risk as opposed to the boring safety pick.

footsteps_falco
02-27-2012, 01:15 AM
ireland averages 2 trades per draft, look it up. he trades up more then down (reshad jones, daniel thomas, charles clay, aj edds, and sean smith i think too?). hes only made one trade in the first round so i hate the notion that he likes to trade down in round 1. i agree they were targetting dan williams in the odrick draft.

i wouldnt hate taking reiff or decastro, but i would say they consider QB our biggest need, the problem is the value isnt there at #8 for a QB and the competition to trade up is too steep, that's not his fault. can't hate that the core of good players on our team are now in the 28-30 year-old age range(long, marshall, dansby, wake, bell) and they want to utilize what we have by getting a QB ready to win now.

roy_miami
02-27-2012, 02:30 AM
ireland averages 2 trades per draft, look it up. he trades up more then down (reshad jones, daniel thomas, charles clay, aj edds, and sean smith i think too?). hes only made one trade in the first round so i hate the notion that he likes to trade down in round 1. i agree they were targetting dan williams in the odrick draft.

i wouldnt hate taking reiff or decastro, but i would say they consider QB our biggest need, the problem is the value isnt there at #8 for a QB and the competition to trade up is too steep, that's not his fault. can't hate that the core of good players on our team are now in the 28-30 year-old age range(long, marshall, dansby, wake, bell) and they want to utilize what we have by getting a QB ready to win now.

And even that trade I would bet was 100% Parcells both in making it happen on draft day and demanding we pick up a second rounder after trading away 2 seconds for Marshall. I don't think Ireland will be looking to trade down out of the 8 spot but if some team thinks they're on the cusp of a championship and wants to pull an Atlanta I could see us taking a bunch of picks to move down to the late 20's.

WaxOn WaxOff
02-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Quinton Couples, DE UNC.

Roman529
02-27-2012, 08:07 PM
The NFL Network feels Miami is the frontrunner to sign Peyton Manning to a deal sometime after March 8th, and then draft Tannehill with the 8th pick and groom him for the future. We would then have Manning as our starter, Moore as the backup QB, and Tannehill holding the clipboard.

Daman379
02-27-2012, 09:06 PM
We need to trade down or draft Trent Richardson! There's not a lot of value for us at 8. To reach for a RT or a Guard at 8 is ridiculous! If we could trade down to 15-17 range and pick up a second and a forth then we would get better value for a player like Reiff! He's way over rated. If Reiff gets picked at 8 then I'm going to be pissed. The only player I would trade up for is Luck! 3 first round picks! No guts no glory!?!

roy_miami
02-27-2012, 09:07 PM
The NFL Network feels Miami is the frontrunner to sign Peyton Manning to a deal sometime after March 8th, and then draft Tannehill with the 8th pick and groom him for the future. We would then have Manning as our starter, Moore as the backup QB, and Tannehill holding the clipboard.

Manning holds all the cards and in my opinion he's not going to go to any team that plans on picking a QB in the first round, especially one that already has a bad o-line.