PDA

View Full Version : Luke Kuechly at 8?

Miamifin23
02-27-2012, 02:25 PM
No one has really talked about this kid on here but many are saying he's one of the safest players in this draft. Numbers are off the charts and maybe this kid is in the mold of an urlacher type impact player. If we're making a switch to a 4-3 is dansby going to play inside? If not that's a big hole we would need to fill. What do you guys think?

ckparrothead
02-27-2012, 02:27 PM
No one has really talked about this kid on here but many are saying he's one of the safest players in this draft. Numbers are off the charts and maybe this kid is in the mold of an urlacher type impact player. If we're making a switch to a 4-3 is dansby going to play inside? If not that's a big hole we would need to fill. What do you guys think?

Speak for yourself. I've been talking about him as a top candidate for the #8 pick for a while. And I happen to know the Dolphins are thinking hard on it.

Tunaphish429
02-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Someone posted this on Friday...No thanks to an MLB that high when we have 2 ILB's that are paid at high rates..Not our biggest need right now.

ckparrothead
02-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Both our ILBs are actually OLBs in a 4-3.

You don't want to get caught thinking in the short term. Dansby is something like 31 or 32 years old. Burnett I think is 30 years old this year. Burnett is heading into the 2nd year of a 4 year contract. He could be jettisoned as early as 2013. Dansby will be here a little longer but in a 4-3 he has traditionally been an outside linebacker, that is where he made his name in Arizona, as a Sam and Will backer.

Miamifin23
02-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Just because you have 2 guys at the position doesn't mean that position doesn't need to be upgraded, he's all over the field and has perfect size for the position. I don't want to see us reaching for an olineman or another position

mnphinfan
02-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Speak for yourself. I've been talking about him as a top candidate for the #8 pick for a while. And I happen to know the Dolphins are thinking hard on it.

CK, you are the main reason I decided to watch some film on him. Can't wait to read about this in Omarando's blog within the next week referencing their "sources" and about how after getting the scoup they decided to watch tape and write about him.

Kuechly really reminds me of ZT out on the field. The more I watch, the more I want him at 8. Plus for nothing but sentimental reasons it'd be sweet to have another Kuech's on the team for another generation of Fin fans to love.

Tunaphish429
02-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Just because you have 2 guys at the position doesn't mean that position doesn't need to be upgraded, he's all over the field and has perfect size for the position. I don't want to see us reaching for an olineman or another position

Burnett started to play really well at the end of the year.. and Dansby has played well too.

"Both our ILBs are actually OLBs in a 4-3.

You don't want to get caught thinking in the short term. Dansby is something like 31 or 32 years old. Burnett I think is 30 years old this year. Burnett is heading into the 2nd year of a 4 year contract. He could be jettisoned as early as 2013. Dansby will be here a little longer but in a 4-3 he has traditionally been an outside linebacker, that is where he made his name in Arizona, as a Sam and Will backer"

Not saying we cant take a MLB at some point in the draft..but at #9 when we have so many other pressing needs? Why would Jeff give up on Burnett so soon? He was playing really well at the end of the year..Also we are still going to play 34 but with some mixture of 43...right? ..I also believe that Dansby could play MLB and do a damn good job at it.

foozool13
02-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Doesnt warrant a #8 pick I think. Too high for an ILB.

sinPHIN
02-27-2012, 02:47 PM
i started a thread onhim a few days ago. he is who i want if blackmon doesnt fall or we trade up

ckparrothead
02-27-2012, 03:03 PM
CK, you are the main reason I decided to watch some film on him. Can't wait to read about this in Omarando's blog within the next week referencing their "sources" and about how after getting the scoup they decided to watch tape and write about him.

Kuechly really reminds me of ZT out on the field. The more I watch, the more I want him at 8. Plus for nothing but sentimental reasons it'd be sweet to have another Kuech's on the team for another generation of Fin fans to love.

I love the Zach Thomas comparisons in some ways, and in other ways they're unfair to Kuechly. The guy is 6024 and 242 lbs. If you stood him up next to Zach Thomas, he would look like a giant. He did 27 bench reps and just did a standing broad jump of 10'8" which is one of the best broad jumps at the Combine this year at any position. He's not fast. Definitely not fast. But he's got explosive burst, and he's a pretty strong guy with some size to him. On the other hand, just think about the mental characteristics it took for Zach Thomas to be as good as he was despite being as slow and small as he was. Luke Kuechly is one smart cookie, very tuned in to the ball. But he's probably not THAT smart.

ckparrothead
02-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Burnett started to play really well at the end of the year.. and Dansby has played well too.

"Both our ILBs are actually OLBs in a 4-3.

You don't want to get caught thinking in the short term. Dansby is something like 31 or 32 years old. Burnett I think is 30 years old this year. Burnett is heading into the 2nd year of a 4 year contract. He could be jettisoned as early as 2013. Dansby will be here a little longer but in a 4-3 he has traditionally been an outside linebacker, that is where he made his name in Arizona, as a Sam and Will backer"

Not saying we cant take a MLB at some point in the draft..but at #9 when we have so many other pressing needs? Why would Jeff give up on Burnett so soon? He was playing really well at the end of the year..Also we are still going to play 34 but with some mixture of 43...right? ..I also believe that Dansby could play MLB and do a damn good job at it.

Why do you have to see it as "giving up" on Burnett or Dansby? The Dolphins can use all three in nickel packages as well as base downs.

Talent is talent. Luke Kuechly is damn talented.

Miamifin23
02-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Just ran a 4.5... Impressive! A 3 down MLB is hard to come by... Lewis, Willis, urlacher, Sean lee... All pretty good and very very important to those defenses

Tunaphish429
02-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Why do you have to see it as "giving up" on Burnett or Dansby? The Dolphins can use all three in nickel packages as well as base downs.

My philosphy is that its pretty hard to cover any body when you have all day to throw the ball..Alot of teams had all day to throw against us..Pass rush is the biggest need and if there is someone worth that can rush the pass we should take him..I would not even be against taking a Wr if there is one worth taking at that spot. Do you really envision Miami paying Dansby that much money to play Sam backer? Do you think he is worth that? He would easily be the best Sam backer in the league but still way too much money. Dansby has the size to play MLB and has the talent. He is getting up there but he can still play at a high level at that spot for at least 2 to 3 more years.. Its just not a pressing need..if by chance he is the BPA and there is a chance that we can still get a good pass rusher in the later rounds then I could see it happening.

miamiron
02-27-2012, 03:26 PM

Ouch he just ran a 4.78

ckparrothead
02-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Ouch he just ran a 4.78

AFTER running a 4.50. Why are you all about the 4.78 while dismissing the 4.50? It's not like there's a heavy wind in the domed stadium and he ran one with the wind and one against the wind. The second run likely was just a stumbling issue, some issue with the sensors, or some other technique related issue.

ckparrothead
02-27-2012, 03:32 PM
My philosphy is that its pretty hard to cover any body when you have all day to throw the ball..Alot of teams had all day to throw against us..Pass rush is the biggest need and if there is someone worth that can rush the pass we should take him..I would not even be against taking a Wr if there is one worth taking at that spot. Do you really envision Miami paying Dansby that much money to play Sam backer? Do you think he is worth that? He would easily be the best Sam backer in the league but still way too much money. Dansby has the size to play MLB and has the talent. He is getting up there but he can still play at a high level at that spot for at least 2 to 3 more years.. Its just not a pressing need..if by chance he is the BPA and there is a chance that we can still get a good pass rusher in the later rounds then I could see it happening.

Pass rush is important.

However, BEFORE you can get to pass rushing, you have to be able to stop the run and the QUICK pass first. The quick pass is being used as an extension of the running game, and if you're not able to stop those, then your pass rushers never even figure into the mix because the offense you're facing is staying on schedule and your pass rushers don't get to pin their ears back.

PolitePolite
02-27-2012, 03:32 PM
191 tackles. Can't teach instincts. If no worthy skill position players are available, I say we get him. He would be a captain of this football team in 2 years.

SR 7
02-27-2012, 03:34 PM

You know they are thinking about him? So when i asked on twitter why did you ignore! loll

TheWalrus
02-27-2012, 03:37 PM
For what it's worth, Zach Thomas was not some slug. He trained for the 40 every offseason and had a pact with himself he would retire if he ever ran slower than 4.6.

Tunaphish429
02-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Pass rush is important.

However, BEFORE you can get to pass rushing, you have to be able to stop the run and the QUICK pass first. The quick pass is being used as an extension of the running game, and if you're not able to stop those, then your pass rushers never even figure into the mix because the offense you're facing is staying on schedule and your pass rushers don't get to pin their ears back.

From watching everygame Miami seemed to be awful on 3rd and long situations....Wake was getting stonewalled and so was JT. We lacked interior pass rush as well. I dont know what the % was but from what I remember it seemed that way. I def wanna go back and watch every single game tho. I dont know if teams knew that we were not gonna blitz and their line was allowed to settle in or if the pass rush was just that bad....As far as the short passing goes Buffalo was pretty big at short passes last year and we ate them up.. I do recall that the texans ran on us but they did run on alot of teams as well. I thought Miami did a good job of getting to the ball carrier tho. I remember alot of clean pockets for alot of qbs this past year.

TheWalrus
02-27-2012, 03:41 PM
CK, can you expand on your comment that you "happen to know" the Dolphins are considering Kuechly?

mnphinfan
02-27-2012, 03:48 PM
I love the Zach Thomas comparisons in some ways, and in other ways they're unfair to Kuechly. The guy is 6024 and 242 lbs. If you stood him up next to Zach Thomas, he would look like a giant. He did 27 bench reps and just did a standing broad jump of 10'8" which is one of the best broad jumps at the Combine this year at any position. He's not fast. Definitely not fast. But he's got explosive burst, and he's a pretty strong guy with some size to him. On the other hand, just think about the mental characteristics it took for Zach Thomas to be as good as he was despite being as slow and small as he was. Luke Kuechly is one smart cookie, very tuned in to the ball. But he's probably not THAT smart.

This is the second time I've done this. It's not his size, it's his pre snap diagnosis and burst towards the ball carrier while flowing which reminds me of ZT. He just seems to be in the correct place all of the time to make a play. You are correct though that it's unfair to compare him to ZT mentally who was probably one of the smartest MLB's to ever play the game. Size wise I guess he kind of reminds me more of Offerdahl. It'll be interesting to see what his official 40 time was because of the large discrepency between the two. The 10 yard split though was amazing which is what you love to see for a MLB.

sinPHIN
02-27-2012, 03:50 PM
this guy would be the safest pick imo, but it all depends on trades and if someone falls

ckparrothead
02-27-2012, 03:51 PM
CK, can you expand on your comment that you "happen to know" the Dolphins are considering Kuechly?

No.

sinPHIN
02-27-2012, 03:51 PM
This is the second time I've done this. It's not his size, it's his pre snap diagnosis and burst towards the ball carrier while flowing which reminds me of ZT. He just seems to be in the correct place all of the time to make a play. You are correct though that it's unfair to compare him to ZT mentally who was probably one of the smartest MLB's to ever play the game. Size wise I guess he kind of reminds me more of Offerdahl. It'll be interesting to see what his official 40 time was because of the large discrepency between the two. The 10 yard split though was amazing which is what you love to see for a MLB.
agree 100%. this guy reminds me of zt bc he is a tackleing machine, he is smart and he is always where he is suppose to be

Miamifin23
02-27-2012, 04:08 PM
The kid won't last past the middle of the 1st rd, if he gets to Philly they'll run up to the podium and announce his name, also I wouldn't be surprised if the jets take a shot at him if he's there with the talks of Bart Scott departing, if the kid is an impact, every down lb he should and would warrant a pick at 8

SR 7
02-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Doesnt warrant a #8 pick I think. Too high for an ILB.

Tell that to SF

Locke
02-27-2012, 04:20 PM
No.

:lol:

This made me laugh. Does that make me a douchebag...?

TheWalrus
02-27-2012, 04:37 PM

It's what I expected him to say, but it never hurts to go fishing. I know (or at least, it's my understanding) that Boomer has some contacts in the Dolphins FO. That might be it or it might be something else. But CK wouldn't say that without knowing something.

jim1
02-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Kuechly I could live with- smart, instinctive, disciplined, super athletic and he produces like a maniac- that's what you want with a high 1st rd pick. I'd still prefer DeCastro, but I'd take Luke over a guy who has all the talent in the world but talks the talk more than he walks the walk.

3rdandinches
02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
I look at the flexibility we need in the front seven to be most important in defending this pass first offense the NFL is transitioning to. Having Kuechly gives us what M.Mayock stated as the best zone coverage LB he's ever seen, add that to Dansbys skills to cover TE's man to man gives us defensive scheme flexibility. Exactly what DC Coyle wants. I think were going FA to cover the offense and use the draft to get the flexibility Coyle wants.

Sign me up for Kuechly.

Exuro
02-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Normally i'd agree that a MLB in the top 10 is high to draft, but Look at the division. New England lives and dies by the short pass, while the Jets preference is to ground and pound. Chan Gailey turned Stevie Johnson in a house hold name and even made Tyler Thigpen look like a real quarterback. Having a guy like Keuchly would be a terrific asset in improving the pass rush by putting teams in 3rd and long

ckparrothead
02-27-2012, 05:25 PM

Just being honest. He asked if I can expand on it. Answer is no.

mnphinfan
02-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Just for fun I figured I'd compare Kuechly's combine numbers to that of Willis and Urlacher. They don't necessarily project to him automatically being a great player but couple them with his instincts I would be very happy if the Fins drafted him at #8. I just see him manning the D for whichever team he gets drafted by, barring injury, for the next 10-12 years.

Kuechly
40- 4.58
Broad Jump- 123"
Vert- 38"
3 Cone-6.92
20 Yard Shuttle- 4.12

Willis
40- 4.51
Broad Jump-119"
Vert- 39"
3 Cone- 7.23
20 Yard Shuttle- 4.46

Urlacher
40- 4.59
Broad Jump- 122"
Vert- 34"
3 Cone- 6.94
20 Yard shuttle- 4.18

Roman529
02-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Kuechly could be a great piece here like Zach Thomas was for over a decade.....but I also like a guy like Upshaw who can rush the pass rusher. I guess it depends what kind of a defense we will be running.

MiamiDolphin618
02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
I said Kuechly was a guy who was going to put up some numbers that would surprise some people in the Combine Warriors thread. He did just that. It would depend on who is there at pick 8...but Kuechly HAS to be in play. Im totally with CK in that you can find ways to get Burnett, Kuechly, and Dansby on the field together ALOT. We could run a base 4-3, or even in a base 3-4 just move one of them outside. With the way the league is, nickel packages are on the field all the time anyways.

MiamiMuss
02-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Those are some really REALLY good numbers from Kuech...Any1 know if he covered TE's because if he can im all in for taken him...We need a LB in coverage.Dansby and Burnett suck in coverage.

ckparrothead
02-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Just for fun I figured I'd compare Kuechly's combine numbers to that of Willis and Urlacher. They don't necessarily project to him automatically being a great player but couple them with his instincts I would be very happy if the Fins drafted him at #8. I just see him manning the D for whichever team he gets drafted by, barring injury, for the next 10-12 years.

Kuechly
40- 4.58
Broad Jump- 123"
Vert- 38"
3 Cone-6.92
20 Yard Shuttle- 4.12

Willis
40- 4.51
Broad Jump-119"
Vert- 39"
3 Cone- 7.23
20 Yard Shuttle- 4.46

Urlacher
40- 4.59
Broad Jump- 122"
Vert- 34"
3 Cone- 6.94
20 Yard shuttle- 4.18

Pretty impressive.

ckparrothead
02-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Should be noted Urlacher was about 1.5 inches and 16 lbs heavier than Kuechly, though...

MiamiMuss
02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I would think that Philly would pony up to get this guy and I mean PONY UP!!

ckparrothead
02-27-2012, 07:06 PM
I would think that Philly would pony up to get this guy and I mean PONY UP!!

Well I tell you what, if they come calling, I'm listening on the trade down. :)

Canadi-Phin
02-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Tell that to SF

Is he as good as Willis? That is what your implying. I don't know the kid that well but Willis was a beast. What do his impact plays look like or is he jsut a tackler? We've had one of those, in Channing. 8th pick we need to grab a guy who will ipact plays not just tackles

MiamiDolphin618
02-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Is he as good as Willis? That is what your implying. I don't know the kid that well but Willis was a beast. What do his impact plays look like or is he jsut a tackler? We've had one of those, in Channing. 8th pick we need to grab a guy who will ipact plays not just tackles
He averaged 16 tackles per game this season. That is an impact...Channing Crowder shouldnt me mentioned in the same sentence with Keuchly unless your talking about how much better he is than Crowder.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-27-2012, 11:46 PM
I've always liked him and think he would be a great fit. I have been thinking more in terms of Courtney Upshaw until I read CK's defensive draft. Luke Kuechly really makes a lot of sense for Miami and they should still be able to get a pass rusher in round 2 or 3.

Canadi-Phin
02-27-2012, 11:48 PM
He averaged 16 tackles per game this season. That is an impact...Channing Crowder shouldnt me mentioned in the same sentence with Keuchly unless your talking about how much better he is than Crowder.

How many tackles behind the line of scrimmage? 12 this year, had 3 ints but with all the tackles he has made only forced 2 fumbles in 3 years. I mean 7 ints, 2.5 sacks, 35.5 Tackles for a loss. Is that what you call impact? I want more from the 8th pick. He will be solid pro no doubt but if I'm playing it safe I'm taking Decastro instead and creating the scariest left side of a line in the NFL

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Also are there not other tackling machine to be found in rounds 2, 3 or 4?

ckparrothead
02-28-2012, 12:29 AM
As I've said before, you get impact out of Luke Kuechly in other ways, same way you get impact out of a Patrick Willis. He makes the people around him better. He's a smart football player that recognizes things before they happen, points them out for other defenders, or gets such a jump on the play that he funnels it for another player to make a play. It's not JUST about the TFLs, Forced Fumbles and Interceptions that Kuechly himself makes any more than Zach Thomas' value could be fully described by the number of TFLs, FFs or INTs that he made. Zach Thomas was the heart of a unit that was good for a decade, the best defensive player Peyton Manning ever played against according to Peyton.

But, if you're caught up in the discrete numbers, here are the numbers for Kuechly's 3 seasons versus Patrick Willis' 3 seasons as a starter:

Player - Willis Kuechly
Games Played - 32 38
Solo Tackles - 231 299
Assisted Tackles - 104 233
Tackles for Loss - 32 35.5
Loss Yardage - 148 97
Forced Fumbles - 5 2
Interceptions - 1 7
Interception Yards - 0 130
Touchdowns - 0 2
Pass Breakups - 11 10

As you can see, the numbers are pretty much better all the way around for Kuechly. Willis did create 3 more fumbles than Kuechly did but Kuechly blew Willis away with 7 interceptions, 130 interception return yards, and 2 TOUCHDOWNS compared with Willis' 1 interception returned for no yardage.

Elle Clouds
02-28-2012, 02:00 AM
0jyoy1ildmg

No way would this guy be worth the #8 pick. Come on guys.

Canadi-Phin
02-28-2012, 03:10 AM
As I've said before, you get impact out of Luke Kuechly in other ways, same way you get impact out of a Patrick Willis. He makes the people around him better. He's a smart football player that recognizes things before they happen, points them out for other defenders, or gets such a jump on the play that he funnels it for another player to make a play. It's not JUST about the TFLs, Forced Fumbles and Interceptions that Kuechly himself makes any more than Zach Thomas' value could be fully described by the number of TFLs, FFs or INTs that he made. Zach Thomas was the heart of a unit that was good for a decade, the best defensive player Peyton Manning ever played against according to Peyton.

But, if you're caught up in the discrete numbers, here are the numbers for Kuechly's 3 seasons versus Patrick Willis' 3 seasons as a starter:

Player - Willis Kuechly
Games Played - 32 38
Solo Tackles - 231 299
Assisted Tackles - 104 233
Tackles for Loss - 32 35.5
Loss Yardage - 148 97
Forced Fumbles - 5 2
Interceptions - 1 7
Interception Yards - 0 130
Touchdowns - 0 2
Pass Breakups - 11 10

As you can see, the numbers are pretty much better all the way around for Kuechly. Willis did create 3 more fumbles than Kuechly did but Kuechly blew Willis away with 7 interceptions, 130 interception return yards, and 2 TOUCHDOWNS compared with Willis' 1 interception returned for no yardage.

Listen I said I really didn't know the kid. Based off his stats which I know is not great way too look at anyone but at the 8th pick would you not want someone who really changes the game? Just asking the question. If he's the pick and places Burnett and Dansby in their more natural positions to make plays then your right. He does have pretty much every number better than Willis. I guess I hadn't heard too much about him as an impact player. Nice to hear the reviews.

mfish41
02-28-2012, 12:47 PM

CK is this assuming we sign Peyton or Flynn? Or would Kuechly take precedent over a QB? I've seen him play a lot in the ACC and i would actually love this pick.

MadDog 88
02-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Kuechly is a guy that will lead a defense for the next 10-12 years. I have no qualms if they select him over Coples, Tannehill, or Jenkins. I'll say it again. Kuechly at 8 would be the smartest draft pick the Dolphins have made in a very long time.

quasi
02-28-2012, 03:40 PM
For arguments sake, say Vontaze Burfict had no character issues whatsoever. Who would you rather have, Kuechley or Burfict?

ckparrothead
02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
For arguments sake, say Vontaze Burfict had no character issues whatsoever. Who would you rather have, Kuechley or Burfict?

That's a tougher question than you'd think.

Vontaze Burfict's character/personality issues are WHY his tape is so inconsistent. They're WHY he can't run faster than a 4.93, IMO. But his issues are probably also why he's such an explosive hitter on the field.

So this exercise is kind of pointless. You can't compartmentalize in this manner. You can't disentangle his personality/character issues from who he is as a player.

Overall, you just take Luke Kuechly. He's the better football player, in large part because he's a better person.

NamathDrunkLove
02-28-2012, 03:59 PM

Kuechley hands down. You can't deny his production and add the fact that his combine was very impressive and comparable to Patrick Willis' and Brian Urlacher.

bigvince75
02-28-2012, 04:05 PM

If I was picking that high I would take Kuechly without hesitation; much safer pick. Before the combine Kuechly's biggest advantage over some of the other LB's was his instincts. The fact that he's shown he can bulk up and still be athletic makes him a top 15 pick imo.

Clipse
02-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Love this kid's game. Depending on what happens, he's certainly on my short list at #8. Dansby, Kuechly, and Burnett would be one hell of a 4-3 LB group A group that can stop the run, cover, and blitz.

Elliott 1
02-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes, Kuechly with the #8 is righteous. Now who do we draft in the 2nd round to start at DE, because after Manning and Wayne are signed, there is no cap room for other FA's.

tay0365
02-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Kuechly
40- 4.58
Broad Jump- 123"
Vert- 38"
3 Cone-6.92
20 Yard Shuttle- 4.12

Willis
40- 4.51
Broad Jump-119"
Vert- 39"
3 Cone- 7.23
20 Yard Shuttle- 4.46

Urlacher
40- 4.59
Broad Jump- 122"
Vert- 34"
3 Cone- 6.94
20 Yard shuttle- 4.18

Wow, look at those 20 yrd Shuttle and 3 cone time comparisons. :jawdrop:

NoblePhin
02-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Kuechly in the 1st, Bruce Irvin in the 2nd? I agree with you CK on how the short pass has been regarded as a run now a days. If teams are going to be doing it more than ever next year, and the fact that we play the best at it (patriots) twice a year, would it not be smart to grab high potential defensive players in the beginning of the draft? Keuchly gives us solid tackling and good zone for 3 downs, and then we have a fiesty pass rusher in Irvin when we know its going to be a pass. This is random, but what does everyone think about kellen moore?

NoblePhin
02-28-2012, 08:33 PM
also, is it just me or is Kuechly TOO read and react? I want someone who is more aggressive and decisive on their first step, and the little I've seen of Kuechly its as if he is waiting for the tackle. How about trading back and picking up someone like Mercilus? Damn, there's too many options out there to really think about, can't wait to see what we do in FA so we can get a better idea

fgrocker
02-28-2012, 09:52 PM
I love Kuechly, but not at #8. MLBs are the face (and often heart) of the defense, but it just isn't a premier position in the NFL in terms of winning. How many rings do Zach Thomas, Brian Urlacher, Patrick Wilis, Barrett Ruud, London Fletcher, and other similar "tackling-machines" have combined? Zero. Guys like Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks got theirs mainly because of the versatility of their games. Kuechly had a few picks in college, but that can easily be attributed to his much higher instincts than other players at that level. The part of his game that translates well to the NFL is his pure tackling form, and that just isn't worth the #8 pick.

fgrocker
02-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Tell that to SF

You mean the team that only started winning and playing great D once their all-pro MLB took a back seat?

Keeno1
02-29-2012, 09:04 AM
So does moving Misi inside mean no Kuechly?

2413fanphins
02-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Misi was a drastic misfire. Please tell me this front office wont pass on keuchly becausd of misi......there would have to be a different reasoning for me to okay with that.

jlfin
03-02-2012, 10:41 PM
191 tackles. Can't teach instincts. If no worthy skill position players are available, I say we get him. He would be a captain of this football team in 2 years.

Agreed. John Offerdahl and ZT both had great instincts. Offerdahl was a great MLB, but injuries near the end of his career marginalized his impact and legacy.
I recall in the late 80's and early 90's when the Bills' red gun offense used to abuse the Phins defense. In most of those games, Offerdahl was injured and didn't play. The few games against the Bills that he did play in, the Phins won or came very close to winning.
Before one such game Marv Levy was interviewed and aknowledged that the guy they most feared could slow down their offense was Offerdahl, because he could diagnose plays quickly and interrupt their quick short passing game and could neutralize Thurman Thomas.
Me personally, I'd rather have a high motor, productive and intelligent player in the middle of my defense than a one trick pony who only rushes the passer. Offenses are becoming increasingly more complex and your defensive leaders have to be smart. Kuechly seems to be the best player in this draft with those attributes.

MiamiMuss
03-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Agreed. John Offerdahl and ZT both had great instincts. Offerdahl was a great MLB, but injuries near the end of his career marginalized his impact and legacy.
I recall in the late 80's and early 90's when the Bills' red gun offense used to abuse the Phins defense. In most of those games, Offerdahl was injured and didn't play. The few games against the Bills that he did play in, the Phins won or came very close to winning.
Before one such game Marv Levy was interviewed and aknowledged that the guy they most feared could slow down their offense was Offerdahl, because he could diagnose plays quickly and interrupt their quick short passing game and could neutralize Thurman Thomas.
Me personally, I'd rather have a high motor, productive and intelligent player in the middle of my defense than a one trick pony who only rushes the passer. Offenses are becoming increasingly more complex and your defensive leaders have to be smart. Kuechly seems to be the best player in this draft with those attributes.

I couldnt agree more.Read and Recognize is the biggest key for MLB and Kuechly has that.

Personally if we take Kuechly at 8 i would make Dansby take a paycut or send his ass packing.Dansby is a overated and very overpaid lb.

2413fanphins
03-03-2012, 11:06 AM
dansby very well may be overpaid. He may resructure if you asked him to... doubtful though without giving him an extension of some kind. I'd prefer he stay and play solb, which i believe is a position he would be comfortable with. I'm pretty sure he played it most of his arizona tenure...

finfan54
03-04-2012, 09:58 AM

I just wonder with Misi moving inside, and it sounds like it is happening, that we are looking for a pass rushing OLB instead.

But then I think about Zach Thomas and Jack Del Rio. I've locked into Coples CK at 8 becuase of his size and his run stop ability along with the pass rush.

jim1
03-04-2012, 10:38 AM
We gave up too searly on RobNinkovich and he's play ing well for the Patriots. Chicago gave up on Mark Anderson and he played great for the Patriots. Misi has talent, but he's just not a great pass rusher, at least so far. I'm not ready to give up on Misi aready by any means.

2413fanphins
03-04-2012, 11:50 AM
maybe not give up on him just yet... but damn... if i had to have keuchly or misi as my guy in the middle I like a lot more of keuchly than koa...

have to find another role for misi, and I'm not sure where that would be.. could he transition to 4-3 de???

ckparrothead
03-04-2012, 12:45 PM
CK is this assuming we sign Peyton or Flynn? Or would Kuechly take precedent over a QB? I've seen him play a lot in the ACC and i would actually love this pick.

I don't think anything takes precedent over a QB.

kcbrown
03-04-2012, 05:16 PM
I want Kuech IF we have our QB in hand. I would love to have an explosive playmaker before a MLB but how many rings does Moss have, does Dez Bryant have, does Larry Fitzgerald have? Kuech is a beast. With him getting 150 tackles a year, I think adding him will help Dansby and Burnett play wild and reckless.

I was very impressed by that video someone posted on here last week. Any man would want his son to be just like this kid...smart, strong, humble....this guy is a stud.

uga3406
03-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Someone posted this on Friday...No thanks to an MLB that high when we have 2 ILB's that are paid at high rates..Not our biggest need right now.

Good point. I rather take a OL then another LB with the number 8 pick.

utahphinsfan
03-04-2012, 06:52 PM
There are more pressing needs in round 1 than ILB. Kuechly (or Hightower) in the middle between Dansby (Sam) & Burnett (Will) is intriguing.

The phins IMO could trade down (but remain ahead of the jest & iggles) and acquire either Upshaw, Kuechly, or Hightower. Does Dallas want to move up & get a CB? Further, how bad does Seattle upgrade @ QB i.e.Tannehill?

Should the powers that be feel an upgrade @ ILB is truly in order then Keller (Ohio U) in the 5th might do the trick.