PDA

View Full Version : why are so many of you guys stuck on 40 times

sinPHIN
02-27-2012, 03:45 PM
yes some are impressive, but not all these guys that run 4.3 play with that kind of speed on the field. game speed is what is important. i mean look at kendal wright he ran a 4.61, but the guy plays much faster than that on the field. yea its nice to see how fast these guys are, but dont base somebody off of it. brandon spikes is another example. the guy ran like a 5.2. now look at his game film, is he slow?

MRojas4
02-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Chad Ochocinco ran a 4.54 and 4.60 at his combine.

Few years and pro bowls later when asked about his 40 time at the combine he replied "Do I look like a four six kinda guy?"

40 times are nice measure of overall speed, but terrible caliber of game speed. Once the pads, the contact and all the intangiables are thrown in, everthing changes.

Never really understood what was so football amazing about guys running really fast in a straight line wearing sprint shoes/clothing.

sinPHIN
02-27-2012, 03:56 PM
the underwear olympics is all the combine is. stole that from mike mayock

jim1
02-27-2012, 04:57 PM
yes some are impressive, but not all these guys that run 4.3 play with that kind of speed on the field. game speed is what is important. i mean look at kendal wright he ran a 4.61, but the guy plays much faster than that on the field. yea its nice to see how fast these guys are, but dont base somebody off of it. brandon spikes is another example. the guy ran like a 5.2. now look at his game film, is he slow?

Dwayne Allen's 40 time concerns me, as it's reflective of him not being terribly explosive- look at the tape. Joe Adams- I'm bummed at his 40 time, but I know how fast he is, so it doesn't bother me as much. Dude can flat out fly, regardless of what happened with his 40 at the combine.

Tunaphish429
02-27-2012, 05:03 PM
From what I have read and seen on Tv from guys like Mayock..the 40 times confirm what you saw on tape or make you go back and watch the tape and see why a guy was not making more plays..Yes game speed does matter...and does not measure overall talent. Its rare to see a guy run 40 yards in a straight line.. You put some pads on a guy and they can be totally different.. There have been plenty guys who have been workout warriors but then again there have been some guys like Chris Johnson who were not amazing in college and still fell in the draft even tho his 40 time was blazing.

JCane
02-27-2012, 05:10 PM
40 times are worthless. Never understood the obsession.

Some dude runs a 4.4 in his underwear while he's fresh...not quite the same as being asked to run a 40 in full pads on a hot day late in the fourth quarter when you're tired.

How fast are you then? How fast are you when it matters.

sinPHIN
02-27-2012, 11:09 PM
40 times are worthless. Never understood the obsession.

Some dude runs a 4.4 in his underwear while he's fresh...not quite the same as being asked to run a 40 in full pads on a hot day late in the fourth quarter when you're tired.

How fast are you then? How fast are you when it matters.
amen

MiamiMuss
02-27-2012, 11:28 PM
If i had a 6-3 250 lb guy chasen me id be faster then my forty time.

Kdawg954
02-27-2012, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't say 40 times are worthless, but man they are overrated. I will say for me, I liked Kuechly but I was worried that he wasn't as athletic as I think he needed to be to be a MLB and be drafted in the top 10, even though his instincts are top notch. After today, I think Kuechly would be a pretty solid pick, though I'm not thrilled with many of the other options. I certainly would take him over Riley Reiff.

JCane
02-28-2012, 07:17 AM
I'm more concerned with cone drills and things like that.

The NFL is home to elite talent. How often in the NFL are you going to straight burst for 40+ yards?

I'd rather you accelerate quickly off the snap rather than run some remarkable 40.

SMadison29
02-28-2012, 04:17 PM
i mean look at kendal wright he ran a 4.61, but the guy plays much faster than that on the field.

It has already been observed & reported that Wright didn't get off to a good start coming out of his track stance, something he's not used to. He won't be penalized for it & is still viewed as a 4.4 WR. His time will improve at his pro day March 21.