PDA

View Full Version : Which marquee player would you include in a trade up for the #2 pick?

SkapePhin
02-27-2012, 06:18 PM
The Dolphins could top an offer by the Browns or Redskins to the Rams by including a top player on their roster. Which player would make the most sense in terms of which we could afford to lose and which might interest the Rams as well?

Locke
02-27-2012, 06:38 PM
None. RG3 isn't worth the cost of trading up to 2, in my opinion...

PhinzN703
02-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Vontae Davis if I had to choose from the polling above.

SkapePhin
02-27-2012, 06:44 PM
I would include Brandon Marshall because it has been said this is a DEEP draft for WRs.

If the Dolphins could trade a 1st + Marshall + future picks, and keep their 2nd round pick, they could get a franchise QB AND a young WR stud with which he can grow with. Plus, there are some guys in FA we could look at.

jgpence17
02-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Matt Moore. :chuckle:

Locke
02-27-2012, 06:49 PM
I would include Brandon Marshall because it has been said this is a DEEP draft for WRs.

If the Dolphins could trade a 1st + Marshall + future picks, and keep their 2nd round pick, they could get a franchise QB AND a young WR stud with which he can grow with. Plus, there are some guys in FA we could look at.

So trade our bonafide probowl receiver and hope to hit on one in round 2? Sounds like a Wannstedt move to me...

OyeDale305
02-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Vontae Davis if I had to choose from the polling above.Then we have to draft 5 Cbs

dolpns13
huge LOL to all those that chose Brandon Marshall.. yeah, that's smart, let's trade away on of the best WR in the league in a package deal for a rookie QB. Sounds smart. Start a rookie QB with hartline and Bess as our number 1 and number 2. Then when RG3 fails, call him a bust.. Finheaven is always good for a hysterical laugh on a normal basis

Valandui
For Griffin, no one. For Luck? That's a different story.

SkapePhin
02-27-2012, 06:52 PM
So trade our bonafide probowl receiver and hope to hit on one in round 2? Sounds like a Wannstedt move to me...

Actually, not solving the QB problem by taking a calculated risk on a very talented guy in favor of trying to find a "diamond in the rough" in rounds 2-5 sounds like a Wannstedt move to me...

Its A LOT easier to find a pro bowl receiver than it is to find a pro bowl QB.

SkapePhin
02-27-2012, 06:54 PM
huge LOL to all those that chose Brandon Marshall.. yeah, that's smart, let's trade away on of the best WR in the league in a package deal for a rookie QB. Sounds smart. Start a rookie QB with hartline and Bess as our number 1 and number 2. Then when RG3 fails, call him a bust.. Finheaven is always good for a hysterical laugh on a normal basis

Marshall is replaceable. He has posted 1,000 yard seasons in the 2 seasons he has been here, yet, that hasn't helped us win more than 7 games.

QB >>>>>>>>>> WR

Like I said before, its a lot easier to find a pro bowl WR than it is to find a pro bowl QB. The Dolphins need to take a risk if they EVER hope to find a franchise QB.

This is a very WR-heavy draft. There are guys available that might be able to match Marshall's production.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, I don't think Marshall has EVER helped a team make the playoffs, not even in Denver with a so-called franchise QB in Jay Cutler.

Danny
02-27-2012, 07:04 PM
I'd trade Marshal for him.....WR's that drops TD passes are easier to find than elite QB's.

Ozzy rules!!

Vaark
02-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Since Marshall may be the easiest of that group to replace, I'd have to say Marshall, our 1st and maybe this years 4th or next year's 3rd. But "not a cent more than that" .. and it's unlikely that would be close to enough.

WelcomeBack
02-27-2012, 07:11 PM
I'd only take RG3 if he fell to #8. The price to move up to get him is WAY too steep.

Jamaicankid21
02-27-2012, 07:36 PM
If you have a chance to get a franchise QB, go get him. The price is too much argument for a franchise QB shouldn't even be valid. Giants traded away Philip Rivers and 4 draft picks just to get Eli Manning who was "too skinny to play in the NFL" or "will always be in Peyton Manning shadows" This team has been safe for too long and right now we are in perfect position to get a possible elite QB. Take a risk for once, if it backfires then it backfires, but I'd rather it backfire then say "What if we would have taken that risk". Flynn, Manning, or Griffin, go out and get this team a franchise QB.

milldog
02-27-2012, 07:41 PM
RG3 will be an incredible player in the NFL, and I would move up and take his *** even if that means 2 #1's, a third and a fifth. It's really only 1 #1 because all you're doing is swapping. And he'll sell 10,000 seats immediately. I'm all for it.

Locke
02-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Actually, not solving the QB problem by taking a calculated risk on a very talented guy in favor of trying to find a "diamond in the rough" in rounds 2-5 sounds like a Wannstedt move to me...

Its A LOT easier to find a pro bowl receiver than it is to find a pro bowl QB.

That's assuming RG3 is the answer at QB. Personally, I don't believe he is, which is why I'm not for it. If we were talking about Luck, I'd gladly trade Marshall. RG3, not so much...

WelcomeBack
02-27-2012, 07:49 PM
That's assuming RG3 is the answer at QB. Personally, I don't believe he is, which is why I'm not for it. If we were talking about Luck, I'd gladly trade Marshall. RG3, not so much...

That's blasphemy around these parts. :up:

arammell
02-27-2012, 07:53 PM
This is insane! Why would we give up anyone when we don't NEED to? The fact that Jake Long is even on this list is ridiculous. RG3 is a stud, but still a HUGE question mark as to how he performs in the NFL. I'm not doubting he will be great and would love to have him, but why are we even thinking about a QB in the draft? I say Manning/Flynn or bust! The price is way to high to move up for RG3!

PhinMagic
02-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Vontae Davis if I had to choose from the polling above.

this statement is beyond dumb. you would trade away davis, who is young and finally looking like a top corner in the league. honestly, Marshall makes the most sense. not for us, it's just what the Rams desperately need. i wouldn't want to trade him away but thats probably what the Rams would be looking for.

Vaark
02-27-2012, 08:23 PM
If you have a chance to get a franchise QB, go get him. The price is too much argument for a franchise QB shouldn't even be valid. Giants traded away Philip Rivers and 4 draft picks just to get Eli Manning who was "too skinny to play in the NFL" or "will always be in Peyton Manning shadows" This team has been safe for too long and right now we are in perfect position to get a possible elite QB. Take a risk for once, if it backfires then it backfires, but I'd rather it backfire then say "What if we would have taken that risk". Flynn, Manning, or Griffin, go out and get this team a franchise QB.

As good as RG3 looks on paper, as several threads have explored, the chances of anyone successfully transitioning from the Big 12 to the pros is miniscule based on the failure of past conference QB studs. So far the closest they've come in recent history is Bradford who essentially was a 1 year wonder so far. Beyond that, the only other success was the ancient history Vince Ferragamo. If RG3 is to make the successful conversion, he would be a rare anomaly.

Now I think if anyone can, it would be RG3. However, given that "nurture" plays as big a role in predicating QB success as does "nature" while I think the risk might justify some expense, that cost shouldn't necessarily be unlimited for someone who on the basis of his experience can't really be called a preemptive probably "franchise QB." Consequently some cost would be justified, but IMO there's not enough correlation between probable risk and gain to justify anteing up too many valuable chips into the pot to go up and get him.

That's why I think one of the premier WRs, our first rounder, and either a mid round pick this season or next is appropriate relative to him being a Big12 QB.

silverfin
02-27-2012, 08:33 PM
I picked other because I wouldn't trade any of the ones you listed.

GoonBoss
02-27-2012, 08:37 PM
I'd trade Marshall. His...."Sickness" has pretty much run it's course as far as my tolerance level.

You're a millionare. Get your **** together..

MiamiMuss
02-27-2012, 09:28 PM
I'd trade Marshall. His...."Sickness" has pretty much run it's course as far as my tolerance level.

You're a millionare. Get your **** together..

Well that would go for Dansby Moore Bell Columbo Burnett and about 15 other Dolphins...Alot of guys are on this team are millionaires that need to get there "**** together".

GoonBoss
02-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Well that would go for Dansby Moore Bell Columbo Burnett and about 15 other Dolphins...Alot of guys are on this team are millionaires that need to get there "**** together".

Lots of people do. When your illness has come to the point of Marshall's, you need to get it taken care of, and the only reason he hasn't is his asshattery.
Him and Ricky Williams do not intrique me at all. You have the money, you recognize the need for help, but you won't do it.

Why?

My opinion is; They use it as a fallback..Because who can speak ill of the mentally damaged?

NY8123
02-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Lots of people do. When your illness has come to the point of Marshall's, you need to get it taken care of, and the only reason he hasn't is his asshattery.
Him and Ricky Williams do not intrique me at all. You have the money, you recognize the need for help, but you won't do it.

Why?

My opinion is; They use it as a fallback..Because who can speak ill of the mentally damaged?

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/02/Pickme_Logo4-1.png

Gadsden86
02-27-2012, 11:11 PM
I like him but i think they will want way too much and our front office isnt gonna do that. I think we end up with Manning if released and either Weeden or Tannenhil

IluvJuMiami
02-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Can't believe Jake got 7 hits. That's discombobulating.

I'd try Soliai & Bell & Bess (combination of 2). Davis before Wake if I had 2. Tight covergae is not stoping elite QBs today- rules favor the WR. Only pressure brings a Brady/Rodgers to defeat.

IluvJuMiami
02-27-2012, 11:23 PM
who can speak ill of the mentally damaged?

Do it all of the time. Ask my mirror.

IluvJuMiami
02-27-2012, 11:31 PM
This is all so simple:

1) Sell the farm. (its about time to tackle our QB possesion- correct, not position- "...excorsiiiiize the demons... this room is clear...")
2) 3 way trade for #1 between #1, 2, & 8.
3) Sign Peyton Manning.

mrbunglez
02-28-2012, 01:16 AM
So when are we interviewing Luck? Since he's going to pull an Eli/Elway on the colts and demand to play for the fins. :D

Locke
02-28-2012, 01:22 AM

Why?

Borderline is extremely rare in men. It's primarily found in women. A male with Borderline Personality Disorder is so rare, the therapists he was seeing probably didn't even consider it an option until recently. Also, it can't be medicated. So combine a late diagnosis with a disorder that can't be medicated, and we get where we are now. It's a tough disorder to deal with because all treatment is done via therapy. He is always going to have an explosive personality, all we can hope for is he learns how to handle his outbursts in a more positive way.

Ricky was a different situation because there are anxiety medications that he was most likely prescribed to help with his social anxiety issues. The problem is most people don't like them because it makes them feel zombie-like. I would guess that this is the reason he smoked weed. It has the same anti-anxiety effects without the zombie-like feeling. Not an excuse for any of his behavior, but just a possible reason behind it all...

Buff
02-28-2012, 07:46 AM
Voted other. Wouldn't want to part with any of them, but Sean Smith and Brian Hartline combined would be ok

DphinBillkiller
02-28-2012, 10:09 AM
For speculations sake I would go with other as well.

WVDolphan
02-28-2012, 10:12 AM

None. RGIII isnt worth the cost of drafting him in the 7th round.

umpalu
02-28-2012, 12:28 PM
To any of you that voted for Jake Long, thank god you are not our GM.

foozool13
02-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Of the ones you put as options I would go Long for the simple fact that finding a LT in the first round is easier than a DB, WR, or OLB/DE.

Sarnics13
02-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Marshall is replaceable. He has posted 1,000 yard seasons in the 2 seasons he has been here, yet, that hasn't helped us win more than 7 games.

QB >>>>>>>>>> WR

Like I said before, its a lot easier to find a pro bowl WR than it is to find a pro bowl QB. The Dolphins need to take a risk if they EVER hope to find a franchise QB.

This is a very WR-heavy draft. There are guys available that might be able to match Marshall's production.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, I don't think Marshall has EVER helped a team make the playoffs, not even in Denver with a so-called franchise QB in Jay Cutler.

Did you say that with a straight face?? Fingers crossed behind your back?? Yeah, QB is very important but just bc you have a pro bowl WR doesn't mean you trade him......especially with the possibility of signing one of the greatest QB's of all time. Take a risk, yes. Act of lunacy, NO!

traptses
02-28-2012, 03:39 PM
You have to go with Long, given the options. Look at the top teams in the NFL. The Giants, the Saints, the Packers, the 49ers, the Ravens. All of those teams have an average OL, at best. Look at the Saints. Their 2 pro bowl Guards, drafted in the 4th and 5th rounds. Quality lineman can be found in rounds 2 and later. Those teams succeed, because of 3 main reasons.

1. They have a QB that can lead a high powered offense.
2. They spend their high picks on game changing players, saving OL for later rounds.
3. Most importantly, they groom their own talent. They don't rely on the big name FA's to get them over the hump. They draft their own talent. Look at the Patriots. They sign some FA players, but a majority of their starters are home grown. And yes, I consider Welker to be home grown, considering he was basically nothing on our team.

The point is, you don't pass up a chance to get a franchise QB. It may not always work out, but you do have to try. The game is built around having a QB that can win games

gdiaz0358
02-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Before really sitting here and thinking about it, I would have said Davis, especially since the Rams need a CB badly. But after thinking about it, we can get a WR and this draft is heavy at the position, and send them Marshall, whose stock is higher then ever thanks to the pro bowl performance. We can still get some quality WRs in FA also. Like someone mentioned, a franchise QB is harder to come across then a #1. Plus good QBs improve average WRs, and we have seen this countless times on the Patriots, Saints, Packers and many other teams.

WelcomeBack
02-28-2012, 04:07 PM
You have to go with Long, given the options. Look at the top teams in the NFL. The Giants, the Saints, the Packers, the 49ers, the Ravens. All of those teams have an average OL, at best. Look at the Saints. Their 2 pro bowl Guards, drafted in the 4th and 5th rounds. Quality lineman can be found in rounds 2 and later. Those teams succeed, because of 3 main reasons.

1. They have a QB that can lead a high powered offense.
2. They spend their high picks on game changing players, saving OL for later rounds.
3. Most importantly, they groom their own talent. They don't rely on the big name FA's to get them over the hump. They draft their own talent. Look at the Patriots. They sign some FA players, but a majority of their starters are home grown. And yes, I consider Welker to be home grown, considering he was basically nothing on our team.

The point is, you don't pass up a chance to get a franchise QB. It may not always work out, but you do have to try. The game is built around having a QB that can win games

Of course I know this scenario was 'given the options', but you don't give up your Pro Bowl LT in HOPES of getting a franchise quarterback and, again, HOPING to get another solid lineman later in the draft. Subtracting a Pro Bowl player who protects your 'franchise QB' for two virtual unknowns in the pro would be foolish.

ahmajokester
02-28-2012, 04:58 PM
I don't like trading any of our marquee players plus picks to move up unless it's for Luck...

But if you are that much of a believer in RG3, why not Mike Pouncey?

Guy's a fumble machine. We could pick up Nix in FA, move Incognito to C and we've upgraded IMO...

KingDolphin57
02-28-2012, 05:17 PM
If I had to pick one. Regardless of how much I like him , it would have to be Big Jake. How much is he going to want to resign anyway?

MexDolfan
02-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Why?

Unlike fever where a thermometer shows you need medication, personality disorder could pass as a simple depression of some bad mood.

Ricky worked very hard to find a solution for his social anxiety disorder, avoidance disorder, and borderline personality disorder. As conventional medication (Paxil) caused him nausea and other side effects, he moved into alternative medicine and found marijuana controlled it well.
Then after being found guilty of keeping using drugs in 2007, Ricky retired and travel the world to find a new cure. He became a yoga instructor and that seems to have worked well with him. Ricky is the best person in the world, a vegan, PETA supporter and a guy who have created friends everywhere he lands.

Brandon is very different. I don't judge him, but troubles seem to find him. As I understand his "BPD" is less severe than Ricky's and he surely will see result during this year. In fact I think somehow many of his dropped passes in 2011 could have being caused as side effect of his treatment.

MexDolfan
02-28-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't like trading any of our marquee players plus picks to move up unless it's for Luck...

But if you are that much of a believer in RG3, why not Mike Pouncey?

Guy's a fumble machine. We could pick up Nix in FA, move Incognito to C and we've upgraded IMO...
Are you serious? :crazy:

Let's start by saying they need OT, WR, CB and LB. So I don't think Mike Pouncey serves to ease the trade.

Also let me put in the table the fact that Mike Pouncey played as a rookie in a year without OTAs. And even when every rookie needs time to adjust, he played above of expectations.

Finally I would not move Incognito. He is our starting LG as Jake Long our LT. The left side of this O-line is solid as stone, while the right side needs full rebuilding.

sm0kinfins
02-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Epic face palm to anyone that thinks a probowl WR is easily replaced.

Do yourself a favor and make a list in your head of all of Miami's WR's in the past 20 years. What the hell, go back all the way to the beginning of the Marino era. Now put a check mark next to those WR's that made at least one Pro Bowl. How many is that? Give up? It's 5. 5 Pro Bowl WR's since the beginning of the Marino era to present.

A great QB will lift the play of his receivers you say? Well, that's true to an extent I suppose. But then, why couldn't the greatest all-time QB not lift his receivers to elite status consistently? Hell, only Duper, Clayton and Fryar went to Hawaii under Dan’s watch. Those 3 probably would have been there regardless of who was throwing the ball.

Years without Pro Bowl Wide Outs in Miami since 1970:

I purposely strung that list out to make a point. Do you people realize that without a charity Pro Bowl appearance handed to Chris Chambers in 2005, and up until last year, we would have gone 17 years without a Pro Bowler at the WR position?

JUST SAY NO TO TRADING THE BEAST!

dlockz
02-29-2012, 03:55 AM
Epic face palm to anyone that thinks a probowl WR is easily replaced.

Do yourself a favor and make a list in your head of all of Miami's WR's in the past 20 years. What the hell, go back all the way to the beginning of the Marino era. Now put a check mark next to those WR's that made at least one Pro Bowl. How many is that? Give up? It's 5. 5 Pro Bowl WR's since the beginning of the Marino era to present.

A great QB will lift the play of his receivers you say? Well, that's true to an extent I suppose. But then, why couldn't the greatest all-time QB not lift his receivers to elite status consistently? Hell, only Duper, Clayton and Fryar went to Hawaii under Dan’s watch. Those 3 probably would have been there regardless of who was throwing the ball.

Years without Pro Bowl Wide Outs in Miami since 1970:

I purposely strung that list out to make a point. Do you people realize that without a charity Pro Bowl appearance handed to Chris Chambers in 2005, and up until last year, we would have gone 17 years without a Pro Bowler at the WR position?

JUST SAY NO TO TRADING THE BEAST!

How was Chris Chambers pro bowl year a charity pro bowl appearance.
He finished 3rd in yardage in AFC, 2nd in touchdowns, and 6th in receptions
He deserved that pro bowl whether we like him or not.

A charity pro bowl appearance would be Ronnie Browns
He finished 7th in AFC in rushing yards, 5th in scoring
and his average was not among the best in the league either at 4.3
They royally screwed Steve Slaton that year

lbsfinest
02-29-2012, 04:35 AM
Jake Long makes the most sense. arguably the best LT in the league when healthy and the Rams need a LT. also it would clear 12 mil in cap space which gives us almost 25 mil in cap space to play with in free agency.

I think one thing everyone needs to realize is that while Jake Long is our best player, he's actually NOT the least expendable...if we were to lose him, Lydon Murtha could hold down the LT spot. but if we were to lose Wake, yo we are screwed because then we would have NO pass rush what so ever. if we lose Marshall, our best WR would be....Hartline?! yikes. the drop-off from Wake and Marshall to our next best pass rusher and WR is massive.

a stud LT has very little impact on the success of the team if the guy he's protecting is average. you can see that by the 3 straight losing seasons we've had.

sm0kinfins
02-29-2012, 12:00 PM
How was Chris Chambers pro bowl year a charity pro bowl appearance.
He finished 3rd in yardage in AFC, 2nd in touchdowns, and 6th in receptions
He deserved that pro bowl whether we like him or not.

A charity pro bowl appearance would be Ronnie Browns
He finished 7th in AFC in rushing yards, 5th in scoring
and his average was not among the best in the league either at 4.3
They royally screwed Steve Slaton that year

Ok, fair enough. I guess I didn’t realize his standings in the conference that year and injected my own opinions into the comment.

Regardless, my point still stands. I’m not sure on where you stand on the idea of trading the Beast though since you didn’t actually address the topic of my rant. What’s your opinion?

Personally, I would trade Wake if anybody from that list. I know he’s not the easiest to replace, and I love him as a player, but the others on the list are all a couple of years younger and on the upswing of their careers.

dlockz
02-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Ok, fair enough. I guess I didn’t realize his standings in the conference that year and injected my own opinions into the comment.

Regardless, my point still stands. I’m not sure on where you stand on the idea of trading the Beast though since you didn’t actually address the topic of my rant. What’s your opinion?

Personally, I would trade Wake if anybody from that list. I know he’s not the easiest to replace, and I love him as a player, but the others on the list are all a couple of years younger and on the upswing of their careers.

im open to trading anybody on team for right price but dont want to give anybody away. not sure marshall gets enough in trade. i kind of agree that wake on verge of getting a new contract might be a good trading chip. nobody on this team should be untouchable

uga3406
02-29-2012, 09:03 PM
I would offer none of those guys or no one for that matter. Offer a few picks, that's about it.

luduporcu
02-29-2012, 10:21 PM

Sorry I'm so late w/my vote and post.

I understand what you're saying. Actually, I agree w/you. But I voted "other" in the poll, and to answer the question posed, I'd include COLUMBO...but St. LOUIS would have to agree to an exchange of 2013 6th Round Draft Picks.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-01-2012, 01:47 AM

But even if trade Marshall they will still probably ask for our first, second and maybe a third.