PDA

View Full Version : DB Combine Drills?

MiamiDolphin618
02-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Hey guys was anyone here able to watch the DB drills? I was especially interested to see how some of the safeties looked and mid round CBs. Any reviews on guys like Janzen Jackson, Iloka, Leonard Johnson, Markelle Martin, etc. I can see the 40 times, etc. I wanted to know how they looked in drills, fluidity in the hips, backpedal, etc.

TedSlimmJr
02-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Morris Claiborne was flawless. His hips are ridiculous. Ball skills are elite. He can do this in his sleep. Lockdown corner in the NFL. Smart, smart player.

Janoris Jenkins was the 2nd best cornerback behind Claiborne in DB drills in my opinion. #2 CB on my board. 1st round pick. Just hope he's got it together off the field and put the marijuana down.

Asa Jackson, Terrence Frederick, Jayron Hosley the 3 best of the rest in drills. All have spectacular hips and smooth transition out of their backpedal.

Leonard Johnson displayed a little stiffness in the drills. Just competes hard and gives 100% effort in everything he does. Brought the same intensity and competitiveness he displayed back at the Senior Bowl, and on his game tape.

I was disappointed in Janzen Jackson in the drills. Stumbled through several of 'em... had to restart a couple times. Hunched over with his hands on his knees inbetween drills. He looked to me like he hasn't been putting in the work, or either whoever he's been working with has done a poor job of preparing him for these combine drills. He just showed up and skated by on pure athleticism.

Harrison Smith had the smoothness of a cornerback in the DB drills. The best looking safety. Was able to get his upfield foot perpendicular to the hash marks and stay balanced by flipping his hips quickly. Transitions very well out of his backpedal for a safety. Has me going back to watch more film.

Iloka was a little stiff in the hips, which you'd expect from a safety..... especially one that's 6'3". Didn't do poorly, just looked like a safety is supposed to look.

Phillip Thomas - stiff.

Johnny Thomas - stiffer.

MiamiDolphin618
02-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Morris Claiborne was flawless. His hips are ridiculous. Ball skills are elite. He can do this in his sleep. Lockdown corner in the NFL. Smart, smart player.

Janoris Jenkins was the 2nd best cornerback behind Claiborne in DB drills in my opinion. #2 CB on my board. 1st round pick. Just hope he's got it together off the field and put the marijuana down.

Asa Jackson, Terrence Frederick, Jayron Hosley the 3 best of the rest in drills. All have spectacular hips and smooth transition out of their backpedal.

Leonard Johnson displayed a little stiffness in the drills. Just competes hard and gives 100% effort in everything he does. Brought the same intensity and competitiveness he displayed back at the Senior Bowl, and on his game tape.

I was disappointed in Janzen Jackson in the drills. Stumbled through several of 'em... had to restart a couple times. Hunched over with his hands on his knees inbetween drills. He looked to me like he hasn't been putting in the work, or either whoever he's been working with has done a poor job of preparing him for these combine drills. He just showed up and skated by on pure athleticism.

Harrison Smith had the smoothness of a cornerback in the DB drills. The best looking safety. Was able to get his upfield foot perpendicular to the hash marks and stay balanced by flipping his hips quickly. Transitions very well out of his backpedal for a safety. Has me going back to watch more film.

Iloka was a little stiff in the hips, which you'd expect from a safety..... especially one that's 6'3". Didn't do poorly, just looked like a safety is supposed to look.

Phillip Thomas - stiff.

Johnny Thomas - stiffer.
Man thats disappointing to hear about Jackson...Im still interested later in the draft though, he just has too much pure talent to ignore. Not surprised Mo Claiborne and Janoris Jenkins looked great. #8 is a bit to rich for me on Jenkins...but if we traded down he should def at least be in play. Ive heard good things about Harrison Smith..Ill have to do some research on him. Thanks for the summary

Canadi-Phin
02-29-2012, 03:11 AM

Phillip Thomas - stiff.

Johnny Thomas - stiffer.

Claiborne was a treat too watch in all the drills just so damn smooth. He made them look easier than any other player at any position this year. Smooth like silk out there. Would look beautiful in aqua and white

Fin Thirteen
02-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Slimm, any value CBs out there that might convert to FS? A lot of short corners in this years draft, but there might be a nice conversion prospect that matches up well against big receivers in the slot and TEs.

Justin Bethel, a small school guy, looks intriguing as a late round pickup for CB or FS. Thoughts?