PDA

View Full Version : RG3 at the blackboard, this is impressive.

MDFINFAN
02-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Look at the video of this guy learning a new play in the west coast offense..if all the GM's and Coaches see this, this will drive up his value..we would have to give up 2 years worth of draft picks to move to #2.. If he really catches on in the class room like this, I wouldn't mind..LOL...no, just kiddin, no ones worth 2 drafts.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2012/02/yet-another-reason-i-love-rg3.html

Article:Robert Griffin III, in addition to being faster than your average quarterback, is also smarter than your average quarterback. NFL Network analyst (and former head coach) Steve Mariucci found this out during an NFL Combine segment in which he tried to stump the Second Team Academic All-American, but couldn’t.

After asking RG3 what he would do if he was drafted to a team that already had Peyton Manning (he’d compete for the job but “hold the clipboard with pride” if need be… aka he gave a good answer), Mariucci got to stumpin’: he installed a play from the West Coast Offense, sat down, asked a few more questions, then asked RG3 to re-draw the play from memory. Griffin did, flawlessly, and showed why coaches throughout the league were gushing over his interview skills all weekend. Video here. The attempted stumping is undone at the 2:20 mark.

Breadfan
02-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Newtons vs Luck vs RG3 - all running the 40 with the videos overlapping each other. Extra gear at the 20 yd mark . . .
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/971739/simul.gif

Chuck-182
02-29-2012, 08:27 AM
I love this kid and wish we would've done worse during the season to nab him

ChrisHanson
02-29-2012, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure how or why some people aren't sold on this kid. Brains, strong/accurate arm,great character, team player....He's got it all. I would love to see him wearing a Dolphins uniform next season.

Chubby
02-29-2012, 09:20 AM
I am still not a huge RG3 fan but......but I remember a day when a good bunch of us here at FH were ridiculed/insulted because we jumped all over the lets lose out bandwagon. Wouldn't it be nice if we were the team right now that was holding all the poker pieces? Wouldn't it be nice if we were the team that could sit there and decide between Luck, Manning, Flynn, RG3, Weeden or Tannenhill and have the pick of the litter? Sighhhhhh, What could have been,
Chubbs

Sarnics13
02-29-2012, 09:21 AM
He only had to remember it for from about 60 seconds earlier but there is no doubt this kid is brilliant. His ability to grasp and learn an offense should never be in question.
I would LOVE to see him in a phins uniform.........but it's unfortunate that I don't see that happening. The Skins and Browns have more to offer St Louis than we do so
it won't happen. He is going to be successful.

NyPhan23
02-29-2012, 09:39 AM
ya it seemed like a pretty simple concept (i had no trouble remembering it all and im not a quarterback)... not to mention the fact that you could still kind of see it on the board. still an impressive kid though and i wouldnt mind if we chose that avenue

nosleep
02-29-2012, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't be mad with RGIII. The guy is impressive, no doubt.

EvilDylan
02-29-2012, 09:44 AM
In that gif, griffin stayed in the drive phase of his sprint much longer than newton and luck. This is what true sprinters do. Guy is a complete athlete for sure.

MiamiNative0722
02-29-2012, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't be mad with RGIII. The guy is impressive, no doubt.

It would be a blessing to get RG3.

I'm sorry it just annoys me when people say "I wouldn't be mad with ..." or "I would be fine with ..." makes it sound as if its easy to get when most likely we could end up with Flynn rather than Manning or Griffin. It would be a miracle to land rg3

3rdandinches
02-29-2012, 09:56 AM
I watched it the other day and the first thing I noticed when RG3 went to the board after it was erased was that the patterns were still visible. I'm sure he would have got it anyways.

SuperMarksBros.
02-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Wouldve been nice. Oh well, the "true" fans got to wave the pom poms in a lost season over wins vs the Bills, Redskins and Chiefs.

Dolfan3773
02-29-2012, 10:29 AM
No RG3... :bobdole:

fml..the pain continues

traptses
02-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Wouldve been nice. Oh well, the "true" fans got to wave the pom poms in a lost season over wins vs the Bills, Redskins and Chiefs.

Agreed. And those same TRUE fans can continue to wave their pom poms as we go through QB's over and over and over again. I was hoping to lose out at the end of the year, be ahead of Washington and ahead of Cleveland. But I didn't view it as "rooting for my team to lose" I viewed it as "rooting for my team to FINALLY have another franchise QB"

umpalu
02-29-2012, 11:04 AM
I was actually more impressed by Brandon Weeden doing the same thing. Not saying I want to draft him or anything. That was just my observation.

utahphinsfan
02-29-2012, 12:15 PM
I did not see RG3 but have seen Weeden.

Weeden was sharp. My impression was that Mariucci was indirectly lobbying for a coaching gig rather than "testing" the QB.

tay0365
02-29-2012, 01:19 PM

...and being proud of our team for never giving up nor take the losers mentality that the Colts did. The Colts ended up with Luck, while Miami didn't......check out this coming year which team is more successful.

Winning is contagious, unfortunately so is losing. -Vince Lombardi

MP-Omnis
02-29-2012, 01:26 PM
The blackboard thing wasn't that impressive, to be honest. I'd be more concerned that a player couldn't do what Moochie made him do.

dreday
02-29-2012, 01:33 PM
it was impressive to somebody,otherwise why all the fuss..on the flip side why shouldnt he be able to do that?

tay0365
02-29-2012, 01:48 PM
it was impressive to somebody,otherwise why all the fuss..on the flip side why shouldnt he be able to do that?

RG3 is not just smart, he is very smart. Personally, I would expect him to be able to do that with no problems. You can see there really is something special about that kid. Even the most skilled QBs you will sometimes see a little hesitation, but RG3 is confident, and a quick study.

Jeep
02-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Up until this point, I've only seen RGIII on the field... It was nice to see his confidence and his ability to communicate with Steve Mariachi.. however 2 things came to mind..

1st... It would be nice to be arguing over RGIII or Andrew Luck... such as the Colt fans are doing right now...

2nd... I'd still take the slow white boy..

WelcomeBack
02-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Are people really surprised that he remembered that play that well?

sn9ke.eyes
02-29-2012, 03:13 PM
It would be a blessing to get RG3.

I'm sorry it just annoys me when people say "I wouldn't be mad with ..." or "I would be fine with ..." makes it sound as if its easy to get when most likely we could end up with Flynn rather than Manning or Griffin. It would be a miracle to land rg3

Think about it another way. People would love to have RG3 but they really don't want to pay the price to get him. But if the Dolphins did overpay and land him, they would be happy to have him on the team even though they are upset with the cost.

utahphinsfan
02-29-2012, 04:37 PM
The blackboard thing wasn't that impressive, to be honest. I'd be more concerned that a player couldn't do what Moochie made him do.

Good thing they started after Vince Young was drafted.:chuckle:

Roman529
02-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Anybody else notice how Steve Mariuchi stole Jon Gruden's act of interviewing players and QB's, and asking them to draw diagrams on the chalkboard just like Gruden did? Mariuchi is even running segments on the NFL Netwrok that are total ripoffs of what Gruden does with incoming NFL players.

ckparrothead
02-29-2012, 05:47 PM
It's a rip-off of Gruden's QB School, for sure...but there have been plenty of people questioning whether Gruden even knows how to develop a young QB and so they think his QB School stuff is a marketing sham. Obviously there's a market to watch this stuff, and so NFL Network are just getting in on it, which is smart IMO.

I'm with the people that are a little curious why this is so impressive. Mooch basically told him ok, I want you to remember this play, here it is...and it was as simple a play as you'll see. Then he erased it, and awkwardly started making small talk. Anyone could tell he was going to come back and ask for the play...and RG3 just had to remember it for like 60 seconds.

RG3 is a ridiculously smart person, but a pretty dumb person could've done what he did in that video. That wasn't a feat that shows his brains.

I also liked the Weeden session more because Mooch had him focus on diagramming plays from the Oklahoma State playbook, explaining them, explaining how the play changes according to different coverages, etc. Weeden was forced to explain his reads on the play based on scheme advantage, but also based on matchup advantage. And then in his session with Brian Billick and Marshall Faulk, he had to show how he and Justin Blackmon can communicate with one another non-verbally, being on the same page with one another versus different coverage.

I'm not saying Griffin is not an impressive guy, I'm just saying the people that ran that session could have done a lot more to show how impressive he is.

TheWalrus
02-29-2012, 06:07 PM
In Griffin's defense -- and I'm not a big fan of his -- what they said afterwards is that Mooch talked to him a long time after drawing up the play before asking Griffin to draw it up again. The editing made it seem like it was just a few seconds, but apparently it wasn't.

Either way, I'm with CK that it wasn't all that difficult. I don't remember the name of the play but I could draw it up right now if you asked me to. It's a pretty simple play, sort of a simplified version of a play that Mallet draw up for Gruden a year ago if I remember correctly. In the Mallet version I think the deep receiver runs a comeback against three deep (and the 9 against man) and the running back converts to a wheel route against man coverage, otherwise the plays were pretty much the same.

ckparrothead
02-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Speaking of Mallett I wonder what's going to happen to that dude. He'll be traded for a 2nd rounder either this year or next, IMO.

Tunaphish429
02-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Speaking of Mallett I wonder what's going to happen to that dude. He'll be traded for a 2nd rounder either this year or next, IMO.

With hoyer being a fa you don't think that mallet may end up being bradys successor?

TheWalrus
02-29-2012, 06:48 PM

If he stay cleans off the field and plays more like he did in his first preseason game than he did in the others this year and next, he'll probably pull at least a first from the next Patriots assistant to be name a head coach somewhere.

Mallet was always going to make a great investment if you could afford to make him that because he's one of those guys who improves his value by doing nothing other than not acting like Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad. With a lot of prospects you want to see them fix certain technical issues or issues reading defenses but with Mallet all you want to see is him not be crazy. If he can prove that stuff to teams it wouldn't shock me to see him traded for more than a 1st, frankly. Didn't Rob Johnson pull like a 1st and a 3rd back in the day?

finfan54
02-29-2012, 07:10 PM
yeah, but he add libbed. albeit basic stuff but when your RG3 and you say step up to draw the D it has more meaning than dan marino saying.

Whats impressive is that he was unfazed and told him he thought he was going to distract him and then do this. THATS A THING CALLED ANTICIPATION. Being prepared. Working hard, studying your craft. Thats what makes him a non-bust. end of story.

skins in drivers seat. dont think cleveland wants #2 and give up their picks.

WelcomeBack
02-29-2012, 07:22 PM
yeah, but he add libbed. albeit basic stuff but when your RG3 and you say step up to draw the D it has more meaning than dan marino saying.

Whats impressive is that he was unfazed and told him he thought he was going to distract him and then do this. THATS A THING CALLED ANTICIPATION. Being prepared. Working hard, studying your craft. Thats what makes him a non-bust. end of story.

skins in drivers seat. dont think cleveland wants #2 and give up their picks.

I guess we ALL have great anticipation. I'm sure everybody could tell the plan was to show him a play, distract him, and then ask him to draw the play again.

Can't even act like it was a difficult play either. He had 3 progressions on a drive route where the first two reads react to the coverage as well. He added the other progression (which he said could also be 1) as the 'Kendall Wright streak'.

It's not very difficult.

AllFinsAllDay
03-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Wow some of you are just mad because we wont have him, but dont just crap all over it. It was impressive to see him do it and i hope we can figure out to land him but if not life goes on. FYI a similar prospect at UW Keith Price put up A. Luck numbers last year so thier will always be a new fresh prospect to drool over soon enough.

TedSlimmJr
03-01-2012, 03:06 AM
I'm surprised he didn't get up there and draw a bubble screen...

That's probably the first time Griffin's ever seen a drive concept drawn on a chalkboard considering the lack of mesh concepts and crossing routes in Art Briles' 4-verticals concept at Baylor. Learning a system isn't going to be a hurdle for him. Mastering footwork, climbing the pocket, and remaining disciplined with those progressions while Terrell Suggs or Aldon Smith is breaking your pocket down is where things get a little more difficult.

He's an impressive kid. No doubt about that.

I'd much rather listen to Mooch than Jon Gruden.

Vaark
03-01-2012, 09:38 AM
People claim all that SFL pissing and moaning didn't influence or mean a thing. I disagree. What it did was put the SFL'ers into a fantasyland cocoon before the hard landing, where they could delude themselves that this team wasn't good enough to win at least several games or that team members wouldn't be motivated to do their best to either keep their jobs or look good to the next employer. What it did, from a Karma standpoint was galvanize and infuriate the team to rise up and do their best to shove all visible and vocal boos when they scored or rooting for them to fail back in the SFLers' faces. So if anything the in your face SFL ended up having the opposite affect. An an athlete is a competitor by nature and when rooted against or ostracized as not being good enough to do something, being surprised by the blowback which translated into wins is nothing other than naive.

Given all of that, I agree, if Ireland had been smart enough to grab a top 10 talent in the 2nd round bargain basement instead of again being one-upped by Belicheat, IMO this whole clusterfork would have been avoided. Marino, based on those rumors dropping to where he did should have been a vivid object lesson ferchrissake! As far as RG3, he's impressive but when SFL started, he was a blip on the Luck and Barkley radar; beyond them, few if any SFL'ers could have given a **** about him or anyone else.

MP-Omnis
03-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Gruden is a little more apt to break balls than Mariucci is.

ckparrothead
03-01-2012, 04:25 PM
With hoyer being a fa you don't think that mallet may end up being bradys successor?

Brady says he wants to play another 10 years. And right now anyway he doesn't appear to have any significant ailments unlike Peyton Manning...so he could still be kicking past Mallett's four year rookie contract. You'd probably hope to unload Mallett before then.

It was an investment, the way I saw it, at the time of the Draft. As long as Mallett kept his nose clean and didn't make a peep about wanting to be traded, etc...he'd go from 3rd round value to 2nd or 1st round value because a big overhang on his NFL stock would be removed.

I do firmly believe he would have to see regular season playing time and look genuinely impressive in order to claim 1st round value.

PSU Cane
03-01-2012, 09:35 PM
While i am impressed with RG3's intelligence, his schooling, the way he talks and carries himself, etc....I put a lot more stock into what others have said about him being sharp and picking things up quickly than i do that stupid board drawing. I've never played QB in my life and i was able to recite and draw what mooch asked of him. It was football 101.

Now if they were playing gametape and making him make the calls and decipher the coverages and checks as the play was running without much time to think....that would be a more impressive.

GoonBoss
03-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Blackboard or no, the kid is very intelligent. I have lived in Copperas Cove since 1995 and have had exposure to this guy. His parents are good people, and though he wasn't a saint as a kid (Who is)? he is well spoken, sharp, and loves to play football. The one reservation I had about him was his field generalship, but I think he galvanized that at Baylor.

I'm rooting harder for this kid than I have for anyone in a long time.

Chubby
03-02-2012, 10:48 PM
If Mallet has another outstanding offseason, I expect Billicheat to trade Brady sometime next offseason to a starving team for a ransoms fee in usual Billicheat style.
Chubbs