PDA

View Full Version : 50 Most Popular Dog Breeds per Latest AKC Registrations

Vaark
02-29-2012, 09:03 AM
What the heck are "Cavalier King Charles's" and "Havanese" ??

I see my all time favorite, the Aussie Shepherd, has moved up in popularlty over the last 10 yrs, but fortunately not too much as I wouldn't want to see this amazing animal over-bred.

(editorial insert) Still and all, saving a life and rescuing a homeless animal IMO is always the preferable way to go, be it a mongrel with an ASPCA time-sensitive death penalty hanging over its head, or a pure breed from one of the usually numerous rescue organizations specializing in that breed.

173 dog list
(http://www.akc.org/reg/dogreg_stats.cfm)
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/02/35b87xd-1.jpg

Dolfan3773
02-29-2012, 10:32 AM
I have a Boston Terrier

cbreeden
02-29-2012, 11:24 AM
What the heck are "Cavalier King Charles's" and "Havanese" ??

I see my all time favorite, the Aussie Shepherd, has moved up in popularlty over the last 10 yrs, but fortunately not too much as I wouldn't want to see this amazing animal over-bred.

Never heard of either one until your post. A buddy of mine had an Aussie...one of the smartest dogs I've ever seen. Personal faves are Bermese Mtn, Akita (another incredibly smart pooch) and Saints. My last dog was an Akita I found at the pound. Great dog!

Bumpus
02-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Thinking of getting a St. Bernard.

The pooch with the hooch! :up:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/02/TomAndJerryATominableSnowman-1.jpg

Vaark
02-29-2012, 01:00 PM

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/02/TomAndJerryATominableSnowman-1.jpg

My friend had one.. sweet big lummox but that thing drooled everywhere. What a mess!!

Do yourself a favor and
a)rescue whatever breed you decide on although some mutts make the best companions, and/or,
b)do some research on Australian Shepherds. I can go on and on with stories on how wonderful, polite, loving, incredibly smart, obedient and playful mine were. You wouldn't be the first who took me up on that recommendation and then downroad came back to thank me.

cbreeden
02-29-2012, 01:05 PM

When I was a kid my family raised Saints. All AKC registered with heritage papers when they sold. Great with kids and who couldn't love a beast with a barrel under his neck?:brewskis:

aquaman54
02-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Everybody has their faves....Mine will always be the Beagles.The ones I've had,are the greatest companions you could ask for.German Shepherds are pretty awesome as well."I LOVE DOGS"!!!

JCane
02-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Did not see bitches on the list.

Gonzo
02-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Weird that pitbull isn't at the top considering they make up about 95% of the dogs in the shelters I've been looking at. People are idiots.

Thumper1016
02-29-2012, 02:12 PM
I have two rescue poodles. They were used as someone's punching bags but they are getting back to normal now.

Vaark
02-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Did not see bitches on the list.

But if anything, your sig over-compensates for that deficit. :idk:

Vaark
02-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Weird that pitbull isn't at the top considering they make up about 95% of the dogs in the shelters I've been looking at. People are idiots.

Actually my son got a call from his friend who received a frantic one from his aunt who volunteered in a kill shelter over the hill from where we were living. She was pleading for her nephew to find someone who could save a doomed pitbull whose time would run out the next day because the dog was so sweet and loving. Well, my son stepped up and rescued Angel who was a mess. She was bred by some gangbangers as a fighting dog, had scars all over, apparently according to the vet had been overbred for many litters and had been hit by a car. Despite all that she never lost her inner kindness and turned out to be a wonderful, devoted companion. When it comes to pitbulls, it's their owners, not the dogs.

JCane
02-29-2012, 02:55 PM
But if anything, your sig over-compensates for that deficit. :idk:

Slap yourself.

Gonzo
02-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Actually my son got a call from his friend who received a frantic one from his aunt who volunteered in a kill shelter over the hill from where we were living. She was pleading for her nephew to find someone who could save a doomed pitbull whose time would run out the next day because the dog was so sweet and loving. Well, my son stepped up and rescued Angel who was a mess. She was bred by some gangbangers as a fighting dog, had scars all over, apparently according to the vet had been overbred for many litters and had been hit by a car. Despite all that she never lost her inner kindness and turned out to be a wonderful, devoted companion. When it comes to pitbulls, it's their owners, not the dogs.Didn't mean it to read as an indictment against the dogs, just the idiots that are responsible for there being so many that need to be rescued. That being said, we're looking into rescuing a great dane.

NY8123
02-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Big shout out to my Rotti's and Beagles!