PDA

View Full Version : who could be a suprise draft pick at 8

kloud_9
02-29-2012, 05:42 PM
You obviously have the reiffs,upshaws and ingrams that you would think is the obvious choices,but who are some guys that you will go wow and think Hugh? I have a few...cordy glenn,the guy has had a perfect offseason and was a top 10 pick in most mocks b4 the season.our camp always mentions versatile big guys,he is just that.I for one can see him as a better RT than Riley who has those t-rex arms (I do like him a lot though) another guy is nick perry,again a huge defensive end and ran a 4.5 40 ans had a pretty good season as a junior.Chiseled big defensive end and I could see this also..I just hope he isn't just a workout warrior because those usc players that are highly touted seem to be either great or below average.Another guy is Luke from BC,probably my favorite player in the entire draft and think he will be the next great mlb.we have a need but at 8 may be a bit high,but I wouldn't dismiss it either.Another guy is dontari poe..anybody that has watched the combine or ESPN knows the buzz that has erupted about this guy...yeah its not a major need,BUT first round is suppose to be bpa.compared to ngata,big fast (that's what jeff likes)I can most definitely see this..although I wouldn't be a huge fan of this pick,I could eventually come around.so who do you guys see as a wild card,reach or a player in between that could be picked at the #8 pick?

dtjp17
02-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Kirk Cousins

foozool13
02-29-2012, 06:26 PM
I think Ireland wants a DE at that pick b/c this is a thin draft at DE. I think we pick DE in both round 1 & 3 and double up like we have done at positions in previous drafts. (assuming we dont get one in FA).

Now to answer ur Q, I think we may pick a DB if there is no DE we like:

Obviously Morris Claiborne (http://www.finheaven.com/nfl/draft/players/1679957/morris-claiborne) should he fall that far, which I HIGHLY doubt.

OR

Janoris Jenkins (http://www.finheaven.com/nfl/draft/players/1620533/janoris-jenkins) or Dre Kirkpatrick (http://www.finheaven.com/nfl/draft/players/1664145/dre-kirkpatrick) depending on who we have graded higher. I like Kirkpatrick more.

I know Ireland loves DBs and if there isnt a good enough pass rusher at 8 I think we go DB.

LANGER72
02-29-2012, 06:51 PM
That DT Poe put up freakish numbers at the combine at 345 lbs. His stock really went up. With Solai's expected departure, this one could surprise.

miamiron
02-29-2012, 07:38 PM
That DT Poe put up freakish numbers at the combine at 345 lbs. His stock really went up. With Solai's expected departure, this one could surprise.

Poe's on field production wasn't even in the same league as his
combine numbers...Was he lazy?? What was the reason??
I'm not willing to bet the house on "one day"

JayFin327
02-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Trent Richardson. If Reggie goes down I would feel comfortable knowing Trent Richardson is back there more than Daniel Thomas

gardena19
02-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Reifs, Upshaws, Ingrams?....I hate when people do this....who are these Reifs, Upshaws, Ingrams,.....there is only one of each dude....

MiamiMuss
02-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Jonathon Martin...not the biggest suprise but he shut down 1 of the better DE's{Perry} in college to 3 tackles in a overtime thriller.Very solid LT in college.

Uruguayfinfan
02-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Tyson Alualu (Jax pick 2 years ago) that was a surprise

utahphinsfan
02-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Reifs, Upshaws, Ingrams?....I hate when people do this....who are these Reifs, Upshaws, Ingrams,.....there is only one of each dude....

They have families, don't they? But, lets leave Baltimore's OC to acquire them.

Surprise @ 8? Hmmmm? Hightower. Brockers. Nick Perry. Kendall Wright. Fletcher Cox.

enduro
02-29-2012, 09:42 PM
You obviously have the reiffs,upshaws and ingrams that you would think is the obvious choices,but who are some guys that you will go wow and think Hugh? I have a few...cordy glenn,the guy has had a perfect offseason and was a top 10 pick in most mocks b4 the season.our camp always mentions versatile big guys,he is just that.I for one can see him as a better RT than Riley who has those t-rex arms (I do like him a lot though) another guy is nick perry,again a huge defensive end and ran a 4.5 40 ans had a pretty good season as a junior.Chiseled big defensive end and I could see this also..I just hope he isn't just a workout warrior because those usc players that are highly touted seem to be either great or below average.Another guy is Luke from BC,probably my favorite player in the entire draft and think he will be the next great mlb.we have a need but at 8 may be a bit high,but I wouldn't dismiss it either.Another guy is dontari poe..anybody that has watched the combine or ESPN knows the buzz that has erupted about this guy...yeah its not a major need,BUT first round is suppose to be bpa.compared to ngata,big fast (that's what jeff likes)I can most definitely see this..although I wouldn't be a huge fan of this pick,I could eventually come around.so who do you guys see as a wild card,reach or a player in between that could be picked at the #8 pick?

Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina (possible if available)
Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M (feel like we may see a double down)
Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama (if he slides don't be surprised)
Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina (moving up the list)
David DeCastro, Stanford (surprise pick)
Michael Brockers DT, Louisiana State (got good vibes about this guy)

these are enduro's picks (not my source). of course it depends on free agency. stay tuned.

JerryD
02-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Trading for a QB!! THAT, would be the shock & awe of the year!! .... the mother of all draft picks!! lol

slosh13
02-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina (possible if available)
Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M (feel like we may see a double down)
Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama (if he slides don't be surprised)
Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina (moving up the list)
David DeCastro, Stanford (surprise pick)
Michael Brockers DT, Louisiana State (got good vibes about this guy)

these are enduro's picks (not my source). of course it depends on free agency. stay tuned.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'd rather have your sources pick!

footsteps_falco
02-29-2012, 10:00 PM
weeden

traptses
02-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Kuechly?

Gonzoasnytch1
02-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Coples

ticophin
02-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Andrew Luck @ 2...what bigger surprise??

Miamifin23
03-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Ingram, coples, and upshaw wouldnt be a surprise pick. Poe, Floyd, etc, those would be surprise picks

JCane
03-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Trent Richardson would be a wasted pick.

Running backs aren't involved in offenses enough in the NFL these days to warrant even a first round pick.

And that's why you'll see Trent Richardson slip in the draft.

If we draft Trent Richardson at #8, I will kick myself in the nuts.

SF Dolphin Fan
03-01-2012, 12:14 AM
It's a good question. I guess for some Ryan Tannehill might be a surprise pick, but if Miami signs Peyton Manning that would make a lot of sense.

jason_taylor
03-01-2012, 02:44 AM

imo POE would be a good pick for us at 8 if not a RT at that poss. but imo if blackmon is still there i would consider but again if we get peyton than wayne is wanting to come with him soo if thats the case then POE or a RT would be my choice and i think POE is going to be warren sapp 2.0.very good.

Krush
03-01-2012, 07:07 AM
That sounds great, but it means nothing unless they get their QB first, not necessarily by the draft, if they get manning look for the finsto go defensive. If they can't they will go with QB even if it's Tannehill IMO.

dolpns13
03-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Trent Richardson. If Reggie goes down I would feel comfortable knowing Trent Richardson is back there more than Daniel Thomasif Reggie goes down and all we have back there is DT our season is over.

JCane
03-01-2012, 08:57 AM
You can't draft based on a bunch of "what ifs."

LANGER72
03-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Trent Richardson would be a wasted pick.

Running backs aren't involved in offenses enough in the NFL these days to warrant even a first round pick.

And that's why you'll see Trent Richardson slip in the draft.

If we draft Trent Richardson at #8, I will kick myself in the nuts.5

Well,
I think you are wrong about TR. Philbin himself said they we would be running a balanced offense, which includes Reggie Bush and another back to alternate. TR would be an excellent compliment to Bush and a better alternate than DT if Irelands see's it that way. I would be fine with Richardson. If you need a kicker, I will respectfully volunteer...lol

JCane
03-01-2012, 11:22 AM

Well,
I think you are wrong about TR. Philbin himself said they we would be running a balanced offense, which includes Reggie Bush and another back to alternate. TR would be an excellent compliment to Bush and a better alternate than DT if Irelands see's it that way. I would be fine with Richardson. If you need a kicker, I will respectfully volunteer...lol

If Philbin wants to run passing and running attacks 50/50 then he is going to fail.

You already have Reggie Bush. You just drafted Daniel Thomas. You're not going to have an every down back because of this. So therefore, Trent Richardson is NOT worth the #8 overall pick when you're NOT going to use him enough to justify drafting him that high.

I'm not say Trent is a bust. He's one hell of a talent. But no one in this league will use one single back enough to justify a top 10 pick. That is not how offenses in the league are designed in today's NFL.

Think about it.

footsteps_falco
03-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Not sayii h id want richardson at all i like DT and rggie and slaton. But a rb gets anywhere from 10 to 25 touches a game. Pass protection, checkdowns and screens, goal line. Other then QB and center no1 touches he ball as much. Trent could easily get 300 carries 30-40Receptions 10 TD on a season. Just saying i agree RB not worth top 10 pick for us right now but not because they "dont touch the ball enough" even half of those touches is significant

JCane
03-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Trent Richardson will not go in the top 15. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't go in the top 20. True, the RB position touches the ball more than any other position on the field, but every team in the NFL is moving to a platoon at RB. Carries are being split. 10 or 15 carries per game is not enough to warrant a top 10 pick for any RB. If Trent got 15 touches every single game, he'd have to average 6.6 yards per carry to get to 100 yards in a game. Nearly impossible to do in the NFL and sustain that level of play.

tylerdolphin
03-01-2012, 11:48 AM
A good player.

JCane
03-01-2012, 11:57 AM
A good player.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

CaneHammer
03-01-2012, 12:13 PM
If Philbin wants to run passing and running attacks 50/50 then he is going to fail.

You already have Reggie Bush. You just drafted Daniel Thomas. You're not going to have an every down back because of this. So therefore, Trent Richardson is NOT worth the #8 overall pick when you're NOT going to use him enough to justify drafting him that high.

I'm not say Trent is a bust. He's one hell of a talent. But no one in this league will use one single back enough to justify a top 10 pick. That is not how offenses in the league are designed in today's NFL.

Think about it.

Trent will be way better than ingram from last year. But I still would not use the pick on him. Drop to 20 or later, different story. Reggie needs to be prepared to catch 40 balls to go with some carries this year if it was me. We would also be nasty at running screens... But that is just me. To the original point, the QB touches the football more than any other person on Offense. With that in mind, I would have to rate that as the most important. (I am CPT Obvious! LOL)

kloud_9
03-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Running backs value has dropped greatly within the last 5 years...there wasn't a first round back in the probowl this year I don't believe.I do like Richardson,but messam is goin to be on the roster,I'm sure Thomas is to reggie is the starter,so I don't think we have the space for him,I may be wrong.the more I look at this draft I would prefer an impact player,there will be value at o-line in the second/third round.tannehill will be the pick if we lose out on flynn and manning.regardless what we think about the guy.he isn't gettin out of the 1st 12 picks.

JCane
03-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Trent will be way better than ingram from last year. But I still would not use the pick on him. Drop to 20 or later, different story. Reggie needs to be prepared to catch 40 balls to go with some carries this year if it was me. We would also be nasty at running screens... But that is just me. To the original point, the QB touches the football more than any other person on Offense. With that in mind, I would have to rate that as the most important. (I am CPT Obvious! LOL)

No doubt in my mind that Trent is and will be better than Ingram. Not even debating that at all. He's the best since Adrian Petersen IMO. But just because he is this and that doesn't mean that teams will overspend to get him when he's not going to be the focal point of an offense. It's all about the QB and the passing game now. Defensive ends in today's game are FAR more valuable than a RB.

CaneHammer
03-01-2012, 02:08 PM
QBs and Pass Rush Baby!!! It is time to start beating on Brady!!!

No doubt in my mind that Trent is and will be better than Ingram. Not even debating that at all. He's the best since Adrian Petersen IMO. But just because he is this and that doesn't mean that teams will overspend to get him when he's not going to be the focal point of an offense. It's all about the QB and the passing game now. Defensive ends in today's game are FAR more valuable than a RB.

Exuro
03-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Floyd. Outside of trading up for a QB I don't see any other top 10 offensive playmaker with the potential to make an impact like Floyd could.

JCane
03-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Floyd. Outside of trading up for a QB I don't see any other top 10 offensive playmaker with the potential to make an impact like Floyd could.

This I can agree with.

retarmyfinfan
03-01-2012, 03:22 PM
P.J. Fuller, WR/P Austin College. Is that in Texas? That would surprise the crap out of me.

rrrrphin
03-01-2012, 03:24 PM
I think Carolina would have a lot of interest in Floyd. He might actually be our best trade bait.
Of course Ireland will say we are interested in all potential impact players @8.... Floyd/Kuech/Ingram/Richardson and even Poe

get used to spin city

ckparrothead
03-01-2012, 04:35 PM
I don't think a lot of people have necessarily put two and two together yet on Nick Perry but the Dolphins have been rumored to covet a pass rusher to play opposite Cam Wake, and of the pass rushers available Quinton Coples and Nick Perry are probably the most "prototype" available. If the Dolphins are serious about re-signing Soliai as a new report from Soliai's agent seems to suggest, drafting a Nick Perry would fill out the remaining missing piece in the 3-4 defense. Based on my own salary cap research I believe there is room enough to grab a Matt Flynn as well as to re-sign Soliai...and if that happens then it makes the draft pick of a Nick Perry in the 1st round all the more likely.

He certainly blew up the Combine. Actually the guy he reminds me of is Shawn Merriman.

ckparrothead
03-01-2012, 04:39 PM
If I had to put together a short list of prospects they'll consider, it would be:

QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M
OG David DeCastro, Stanford
DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina
DE Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State
LB Nick Perry, USC
LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College

I won't put Morris Claiborne on there because I still can't even conceive of him getting down to #8 overall. However, if he did get down there, he would be a heavy consideration.

Tunaphish429
03-01-2012, 04:43 PM
I really think we are in prime posistion to trade back.

Zounds
03-01-2012, 05:39 PM
My surprise picks would be Blackmon or Ingram. Blackmon could fall, and Ingram doesnt have prototypical size, and we all know how Ireland loves tall guys.

My legit picks would be Kuechly, Richardson, Cox, and even Tannehill if we are prepared to let him sit for a year or two, or trade back and grab a WR.

I think OL is off our radar at pick #8. In 4 years we could have 3 OL who are each in the top 5 of thier respective positions. Too much money tied up in OL, and one of them will walk. We could potentially have $25-30 mill tied up in our OL in a few years.

LANGER72
03-01-2012, 07:31 PM
My surprise picks would be Blackmon or Ingram. Blackmon could fall, and Ingram doesnt have prototypical size, and we all know how Ireland loves tall guys.

My legit picks would be Kuechly, Richardson, Cox, and even Tannehill if we are prepared to let him sit for a year or two, or trade back and grab a WR.

I think OL is off our radar at pick #8. In 4 years we could have 3 OL who are each in the top 5 of thier respective positions. Too much money tied up in OL, and one of them will walk. We could potentially have $25-30 mill tied up in our OL in a few years.

That is exactly why we will not draft OL at #8. Financially it makes no sense, plus there are too many options available. We can draft corn feed lineman for RG and RT in the middle rounds.

I think our pick at #8 will be Keuchy, or Richardson(to good to pass up)