PDA

View Full Version : Mohamed Sanu; Shades of Hines Ward circa 1997

TedSlimmJr
03-01-2012, 09:06 AM
This was an interesting comparison that came to me as I dig further into the tape of Mohamed Sanu. I remember Hines Ward vividly when he was at Georgia, Sanu plays the game a lot like Ward did.... especially when you consider the versatility.

Hines Ward played receiver, quarterback, runningback, and kick returner at Georgia. Hell, he still holds the single game school record for the most attempts, completions, and yards in a bowl game when he threw for 413 yards in the '95 Peach Bowl. Ward wasn't a speedster either.... he was around a 4.58 guy... he was just a 'football player'. Ward was known for his entire NFL career for being the best blocking WR the league has ever had. An extremely physical player who relished contact.

Sanu didn't run as well as he should have at the combine, but I think he might play the game a tad faster than that. What jumps out immediately on tape is a few things:

1. Strong hands

2. Very physical player; devastating blocker

3. Versatility

4. Plays faster once the ball is in his hands

Sanu knows how to play the game, he's just a good 'football player'. He's played receiver, kick returner, and essentially played runningback spending all that time running the Wildcat at Rutgers as a freshman and sophomore. He has impressive initial burst and gets real physical once the football touches his hands. Runs through tackles, not around them. Likes to get north/south. The aspect that's probably most reminiscent of Hines Ward is the blocking when he doesn't have the ball. I haven't seen a receiver throw these type of de-cleater blocks on linebackers and DB's since Hines Ward. He's textbook when he does it... gets his head across the body of his target to make sure they're legal and not clips.

When Hines Ward left Georgia, he had totaled 3,870 all purpose yards. Sanu has totaled 3,256 all purpose yards for Rutgers in 3 years. Ward slipped to the 3rd round because he was missing an ACL in one of his knees. I think Mohamed Sanu could potentially come off the board around the same area. Hines Ward's football IQ, work ethic, and knack for the game is what allowed him to be one of the best receivers in the league and one of the best 'football players' of his era.

Mohamed Sanu's body is built to play the position just like Ward did for more than a decade. If Sanu can prove to have those same qualities throughout his career, he has the ability to be one of the best 'football players' in the league too for a long time.

LouPhinFan
03-01-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm glad the kid's gone from the Big East. He was a nightmare for us.

But I agree, the kid doesn't wow you with measurables but he just knows how to play football. I'll take a guy like that every day of the week.

Roman529
03-01-2012, 06:01 PM
I know Sanu's Combine 40 wasn't that great, but Jerry Rice didn't have a blazing 40 either and we saw what he could do. I don't think speed is the only thing you should look at....you have to see how guys run their routes, how they catch the ball, and their breakaway ability. I think if Sanu is there around the 42nd pick, he would be worth looking into. I think Reggie Wayne or Dwayne Bowe would be nice free agent signings, but Sanu would be a cheaper alternative. Sanu plays with a lot of confidence and can get into the end zone.

tylerdolphin
03-01-2012, 08:45 PM
What round are we looking at if we want this guy?

PSU Cane
03-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Very good comparison. But i think Sanu goes before the 3rd. Yes his 40 time was a bit slower than i expected, but his production is undeniable.

LANGER72
03-01-2012, 10:21 PM
It would be very interesting if they timed the players in full uniform at some point during the combine. I am sure the track guys times would be substantially slower.