PDA

View Full Version : The Post Combine version of "Who we taking if?"

Kdawg954
03-02-2012, 02:48 PM
I did this last year to get an idea of what others thought about the direction we would go if the draft fell a certain way. I'm going to lay out a potential mock draft with no trades and no trade down options and give a poll of choices and you guys choose who you think would be the pick.

1. Indianapolis Colts - Andrew Luck - QB - Stanford
2. St. Louis Rams - Justin Blackmon - WR - Oklahoma State
3. Minnesota Vikings - Matt Kalil - OT - USC
4. Cleveland Browns - RGIII - QB - Baylor
5. Tampa Bay Bucs - Morris Claiborne - CB - LSU
6. Washington Redskins - Ryan Tannehill - QB - Texas A&M
7. Jacksonville Jaguars - Quinton Coples - DE - UNC
8. Miami Dolphins - Who ya Got??

Nick13
03-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Trade down with the highest bidder for Trent Richardson. Stockpile picks, get better value.

FinaticalOne
03-02-2012, 04:36 PM
I would go with BPA, IMO that would be Melvin Ingram. Furthermore, finding another pass rusher will be much more difficult through free agency, and Ingram is one helluva talent.

Our front four of:

DE Melvin Ingram
DT Jared Odrick
DT Randy Starks
DE Cameron Wake

In this new pass-happy NFL, this front line would cause havoc all day, and allow our coordinator to drop more defenders back in coverage.

Zounds
03-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Why isnt Tannehill on the list? I think he is definitely in play at #8. Coples too.

MiamiMuss
03-02-2012, 05:28 PM
If Miami stays at 8 and doesnt trade down they will take Martin.A solid LT that can come iin immediatly and play RT.

Reiff has been projected by some scouts to guard.Glenn will be taken in the 1st and Massie upped his value with a very solid combine which could land him a late 1st very early 2nd rd pick.

Kdawg954
03-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Why isnt Tannehill on the list? I think he is definitely in play at #8. Coples too.

You didn't read the original post did you? Both guys are gone in this scenario by the time Miami picks.

Zounds
03-02-2012, 05:58 PM
You didn't read the original post did you? Both guys are gone in this scenario by the time Miami picks.

I read it, but I think the only sure things at the top of this draft ar Luck, RG3, Kalil, and maybe Blackmon and Claiborne. I think everyone else is fair game.

sinPHIN
03-03-2012, 03:21 AM
its between keuchly and ingram. keuchly is the safest pick and will be an awsome mlb. ingram is a great player and plays a postion of need. but im leaning toward keuchly. i think we could get curry later if we to keuchly at 8.

edit
how the hell did i forget decastro? they guy is mean and would be an awsome pick up. but i dont want to take a lineman unless we trade down a little bit

Fintastic2124
03-03-2012, 06:52 AM
It's between Kuechly and Ingram for me. Both are gonna be probowlers IMO

phinfan33
03-03-2012, 02:04 PM
It's between Kuechly and Ingram for me. Both are gonna be probowlers IMOWith Tannehill already gone in the OP's mock, one of these 2 would be my choice.

WaxOn WaxOff
03-03-2012, 02:13 PM
It's between Kuechly and Ingram for me. Both are gonna be probowlers IMO

I agree, but add in Nick Perry. He is a junior, great combine numbers, higher upside than Ingram. I go with Perry based on higher upside. I base this on the fact that he had as many sacks as a Junior as Ingram as a senior, he is two inches taller and a better height for DE, can jump higer and is faster. He can also play OLB in the 3-4 (as can Ingram). I have no problem with any of those three.

Dolphin39
03-03-2012, 02:36 PM
My first choice is: Luke Kuechly ILB - Boston College

Second choice is: Melvin Ingram DE - South Carolina

phinfan33
03-03-2012, 04:50 PM
My first choice is: Luke Kuechly ILB - Boston College

Second choice is: Melvin Ingram DE - South CarolinaYa can't go wrong with either guy imo. One player gives you a versatile pass rushing presense, if/when paired with Wake,Odrick,and Starks will/could be a very formidable Front 4 to deal with;and the other player could very well be the next Zach Thomas for us. Yeah,either player will be fine with me if we go defense with our first pick.

MiamiDolphin618
03-03-2012, 09:16 PM
I went with Kuechly. However, I am really surprised at the lack of love for Upshaw. Before the combine he was a vast majorities top pick...then he didnt test extremely well at the combine and now he is a forgotten man. Upshaw is going to make a team very happy. I like Perry in a trade down, but for me Upshaw is still the top 3-4 OLB. He might not run as fast in underwear, but the kid can play

silverfin
03-03-2012, 09:23 PM
I went for Riley Reiff.

Ireland likes the safe pick, and Reiff is certainly that. Will fill a big hole at RT.

If it was my choice, I'd either go Melvin Ingram (or Quinton Coples who I think will be there, think Jax takes Ingram) or trade down and stockpile the picks.

2413fanphins
03-03-2012, 09:49 PM
I was in love with upshaw... the fact that it sounds like we will be more 4-3 based and from my opinion that he just had a ho hum attitude at the combine I have backed off my mancrush on him...

I'm sure he will be a beast, but I remember how much I wanted mcclain and look what happened there.

2413fanphins
03-03-2012, 09:50 PM
is it just me or does all sabans guys get drafted and turn into bums... I can only think of rolando and cody at the moment and maybe because those are the only two I can think of as having negative light recently, my brain is washed into wanting to stay away from alabama all of a sudden... lol

dolfan_101
03-03-2012, 10:30 PM
^ can't forget M. Darius.
I went with Luke Keuchly, my second choice would be DeCastro however in a trade down scenario.

hooshoops
03-04-2012, 12:59 AM
i can't see st louis trading out of a scenario where they can get either blackmon or claiborne provided blackmon runs a decent number so to me thats cleveland at #4...that said in this scenario if its up to me i'm not goinmg right tackle with that top 10 pick i loathe that idea its down to either poe, decastro or kuechly...i'd pluck the highest on my board...upside wise no doubt in my mind its poe but i think decastro and kuechly are both perennial nfl all pros...all i know is i feel better about our prospects with that #8 pick talent wise after the combine i know that

madridfinfan
03-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Kuechly ran in the 4.5s erasing One of the biggest doubts. Id go for him or DeCastro. They look like the surest bets.

Upshaw ran a slower 40 and didnt show the explosion in drills.

I like Ingram, but at under 6'2 with short arms, may not be an ideal fit.

OT can be had in 2nd or 3rd. No TE, CB (after Claiborne), WR (after blackmon), QB worth that high.

Were looking for playmakers, right? Well Kuechly fits that bill, albeit on the D.

2413fanphins
03-04-2012, 10:49 AM
when did upshaw run a 40? i must have missed that.

phinfan1983
03-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Keuchly or Ingram.

madridfinfan
03-04-2012, 11:35 AM
My bad. Don't think upshaw ran a 40. Meant to say that he looked slower off the block with less burst in his drills.

Still think Kuechly, DeCastro and Ingram are your 3 safest bets (2 of which are playmakers) and all of which are the tops are their respective positions.

I think Garner, Jerry and Murtha can settle the RT spot.

2413fanphins
03-04-2012, 11:40 AM
I want kuechly, I picked ingram in the pole. and after I keep reading more and more of irelands comments, I should have gone with decastro or reiff... cuz that's obviously who hes picking, or at least what he wants everyone to believe!! IMO

fishbanger
03-04-2012, 04:23 PM
We need pass rusher from the DE position and OLB position. Ingram kills two birds with one stone. Plenty of good offensive lineman to pick from in the second round.

TheBow305
03-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Wow, that would be a horrible scenario. I guess in this situation I've got to go with Courtney Upshaw. I wouldn't mind Ingram, Richardson or Floyd though.

FinaticalOne
03-05-2012, 02:22 PM
We need pass rusher from the DE position and OLB position. Ingram kills two birds with one stone. Plenty of good offensive lineman to pick from in the second round.

My thoughts exactly. That is the reason I chose Ingram, we are running a 4-3, and sometimes a 3-4. Ingram is versatile enough to stay on the field.

twix2500
03-06-2012, 07:03 AM
If this is how the draft goes before the dolphins pick. I think the phins will go DT and draft Dontari Poe to replace Paul Soliai and to be our next Tim Bowens for years to come. The dolphins will make sure we know "where the beef" when it come to our DLine.

Kdawg954
03-06-2012, 10:22 AM
After 75 votes, 50 of the 75 votes (67%) are for LB and/or pass rusher while only 3 of the 75 votes (4%) are for OT. I am actually surprised by that, though it is the direction I hope Miami takes (no RT at 8). Decastro a wildcard with 11 votes (15%) and I would be fine with that, the guy is a real smooth mover yet he can maul people in the run game and pass protect just as well and real good LG are becomming staples of having a real good oline. I actually chose Floyd as my BPA and pick if the mock fell that way.

I wanna do another one of these after free agency and pro days, prior to the draft, I can imagine the mock and selections could be a bit different by then.

foozool13
03-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Ireland has stated MULTIPLE times that he loves corners and pass rushers. I think we take either Melvin Ingram if he is still there (which I dont think he will be, I think he gets picked 1 spot ahead of us) or Dre Kirkpatrick - CB - Alabama(who gets my vote). He can play DB & we can move Smith to FS OR (the option I would like to see) we can put Kirkpatrick at FS and he can be the ballhawk we have been wanting. He is GREAT playing on in a zone and can tackle pretty damn well. Plus a lot of scouts project that he would be a better saftey than DB in the NFL. Also, with SS contract expiring after this year, this would also be an insurance policy.

outlawd2u
03-06-2012, 06:01 PM
The more I think about it the more sense Keuchly makes. Right now who would be our 3 LB's in the 4-3? Dansby in the middle, KB on one side and Misi on the other, are any of you really comfortable with that? With Keuchly in the middle we can slide Dansby outside and wreak havoc. I really wouldn't be upset at all with Perry or Ingram though as we do need a pass rusher very badly but I just think Keuchly is the safest bet and he would be a huge asset.

Kdawg954
03-06-2012, 06:20 PM
The more I think about it the more sense Keuchly makes. Right now who would be our 3 LB's in the 4-3? Dansby in the middle, KB on one side and Misi on the other, are any of you really comfortable with that? With Keuchly in the middle we can slide Dansby outside and wreak havoc. I really wouldn't be upset at all with Perry or Ingram though as we do need a pass rusher very badly but I just think Keuchly is the safest bet and he would be a huge asset.

I think we can get away with Misi at LB in the 4-3, he is very underrated on this site because as an OLB in the 3-4, he did not rush the passer well, but he did alot of other things well and the Dolphins have stated they would be experimenting with him on the inside going forward, which is an idea that many people already felt could be promising for him.

By neglecting a pass rusher opposite Wake with that first pick, who do we really have to take pressure off of him and get to the QB? In the 2nd round would it be easier to go MLB or pass rusher, can Merling thrive in the 4-3? My gut says "I hope so" but that is the same as my gut on Misi in the 4-3, guess thats the homer in me. Kuechly would be a good pick, I just really think that eliminates that Misi pick completely, and I think a high motor guy like Koa can help a defense.

DcRy82
03-08-2012, 01:44 PM
I went with BPA and in my opinion, that is Trent Richardson. DT couldn't stay healthy last year, and a combination of those 2 with Reggie Bush could be a very high powered rushing attack. How many TDs did we leave on the board because we couldnt pound it in from 3 yards or closer? Way too many. Richardson would give us that, and I'd take him at 8 without even questioning myself if he's there. Otherwise I like Ingram, DeCastro, or Keuch at 8. In no particular order.

2413fanphins
03-09-2012, 03:08 PM
I think we can get away with Misi at LB in the 4-3, he is very underrated on this site because as an OLB in the 3-4, he did not rush the passer well, but he did alot of other things well and the Dolphins have stated they would be experimenting with him on the inside going forward, which is an idea that many people already felt could be promising for him.

By neglecting a pass rusher opposite Wake with that first pick, who do we really have to take pressure off of him and get to the QB? In the 2nd round would it be easier to go MLB or pass rusher, can Merling thrive in the 4-3? My gut says "I hope so" but that is the same as my gut on Misi in the 4-3, guess thats the homer in me. Kuechly would be a good pick, I just really think that eliminates that Misi pick completely, and I think a high motor guy like Koa can help a defense.

I can see your argument... I'd mention that we had high motor guys like matt roth, and sent them packing. If it came down to not drafting keuchly because we didnt' want the misi pick to be a waste I would be pissed. If theres another reason, so be it. I like the LB corps a lot better without misi in it, than with...

secondly, is a guy like mychal kendricks going to be around at our 2nd pick? while I don't think he's near as good as keuchly... I think if we nabbed him in the 2nd, (kendricks), we could address pass rusher in the first... I'd be happy with that. perhaps, sanders, osemele or martin in the 3rd, although if your banking on guys being there in the third round, your probably playing with fire.