PDA

View Full Version : What SUV is best

DefensiveEnd76
03-05-2012, 01:08 AM
I have been doing research on mid-sized SUVs as I may want to purchase one soon. I would like some imput from people here who may own a 2012 Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder or Jeep Grand Cherokee. These are the ones I am interested in. I already have a Ford Explorer and don't want another one of those. Any imput on any of these SUVs would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Bumpus
03-05-2012, 07:47 AM
SUV's are for soccer moms ... Buy a truck, you'll be manly. :up:

GoonBoss
03-05-2012, 10:21 AM
I have nothing but good to say about Hondas in general. Can't go wrong there. I would stay away from Jeep products in general.

NY8123
03-05-2012, 12:12 PM
First off I own a Tahoe and I would buy another one any day, love it.

Grand Jeep Cherokee's aren't horrible but remember you can pick them up used all day long so I would recommend not to buy new. For reference I wouldn't pay a nickle over 17,000 for an 08 it isn't worth it and there will always be ten more to take its place.

All cars have inherent problems, it doesn't matter what brand, I have worked on most of them. I am putting a new front differential in my buddies 04 Escalade after work tonight because the pinion bearing is gone and it whines between 30 and 45mph. Last Thursday I put a power steering pump in my girlfriend BMW after work, not a horrible job but for me it cost 130 bucks and some beers, at the dealer it is a 400 to 500 dollar job, so its all relative.

New, used it doesn't matter, **** breaks and someone somewhere has had a bad experience with any make or model.

What ever you decide to buy buy go with your gut, check the car over completely, smell the exhaust while its running, sweet it's antifreeze burning, skunky it's oil. Listen to the motor and not just a "yup it's running" listen for ticks or knocks that originate near the center of the motor. Look for fluid leaks anywhere you can see.

Mechanics are more important than aesthetics in vetches and once you have what is deemed to be a decent working auto move on to the features on the inside. Too many people get wrapped up in the "gotta have it" phase and don't walk away from deals enough.

My buddy had a 4runner (04 I think) and loved it, beat the living **** out of it and he is hard on vehicles.

NY8123
03-05-2012, 12:12 PM
First off I own a Tahoe and I would buy another one any day, love it.

Grand Jeep Cherokee's aren't horrible but remember you can pick them up used all day long so I would recommend not to buy new. For reference I wouldn't pay a nickle over 17,000 for an 08 it isn't worth it and there will always be ten more to take its place.

All cars have inherent problems, it doesn't matter what brand, I have worked on most of them. I am putting a new front differential in my buddies 04 Escalade after work tonight because the pinion bearing is gone and it whines between 30 and 45mph. Last Thursday I put a power steering pump in my girlfriend BMW after work, not a horrible job but for me it cost 130 bucks and some beers, at the dealer it is a 400 to 500 dollar job, so its all relative.

New, used it doesn't matter, **** breaks and someone somewhere has had a bad experience with any make or model.

What ever you decide to buy buy go with your gut, check the car over completely, smell the exhaust while its running, sweet it's antifreeze burning, skunky it's oil. Listen to the motor and not just a "yup it's running" listen for ticks or knocks that originate near the center of the motor. Look for fluid leaks anywhere you can see.

Mechanics are more important than aesthetics in vetches and once you have what is deemed to be a decent working auto move on to the features on the inside. Too many people get wrapped up in the "gotta have it" phase and don't walk away from deals enough.

My buddy had a 4runner (04 I think) and loved it, beat the living **** out of it and he is hard on vehicles.

DefensiveEnd76
03-06-2012, 02:17 AM
I am looking at brand new vehicles not any used vehicles. At worst I wouldn't buy anything older then a 2011 with only a few thousand miles.

CedarPhin
03-06-2012, 02:29 AM
Why buy a brand new car? They depreciate as soon as you leave the dealer's lot.

Funky Fin
03-06-2012, 05:16 AM
I bought a used 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee in '03 with only 10,000 miles on it. Still have it to this day with over 120,000 miles on it and absolutely no major problems. Love the Jeep.

The Confessor
03-06-2012, 06:19 AM
I had a 92 Ford Explorer. Traded it in with 176,000 and ZERO issues. Got over 6k trade in on it.... Traded for a 96 Explorer....got 125,000 miles out of it with once again ZERO issues what-so-ever...got over 10k trade in on it.

Not sure why it hasn't gone well for you, but especially with the new body style and some of the technology Ford has unveiled this year, I would go Explorer all day long.

NY8123
03-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I am looking at brand new vehicles not any used vehicles. At worst I wouldn't buy anything older then a 2011 with only a few thousand miles.

Go with the best deal then. With a car that new unless you get a lemon you should be relatively safe, the Jeep however will not hold its value like the Honda.

Tunaphish429
03-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Buy one that does not roll over.

DefensiveEnd76
03-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Explorers are trash. I would never buy another one. I bought mine with only 7,000 miles on it and it has been a piece of junk. Also, the brand new Explorers are ranked pretty low compared to other SUVs. I am thinking Honda or Toyota is the way to go. Just have to decide between the Pilot and the 4Runner.

GCD960
03-06-2012, 10:57 PM
I got a GMC Terrain and love it

Fin Fan in Cali
03-06-2012, 11:42 PM
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/SUVs/

Best of luck to you bro in your choice.

Kdawg954
03-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Explorers are trash. I would never buy another one. I bought mine with only 7,000 miles on it and it has been a piece of junk. Also, the brand new Explorers are ranked pretty low compared to other SUVs. I am thinking Honda or Toyota is the way to go. Just have to decide between the Pilot and the 4Runner.

My aunt bought an Explorer brand new, put close to 200,000 miles on it and nothing major has wen't wrong with it at all. She also maintains it on a solid schedule.

Those new Durango's with the new Benz swagg that they have are getting real great reviews. Something to possibly check out.

jared81
03-07-2012, 11:44 AM
i am looking at buying an SUV for my wife and i research EVERYTHING. its pretty ironic i saw this thread. below is a review from cars.com, you may find helpful. a couple of cars you should consider are:

Chevy Traverse
Honda Pilot
Toyota Highlander
Mazda CX-9

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/buyingGuides/Story.jsp?referer=&year=New&year=New&section=SUV&story=37ksuvOverview&subject=stories

the above cars seem to have the best reviews for space, features and reliability. i am leaning towards the honda pilot. i just dont like the way it looks. also, look for used, you can buy a 2009 pilot (the body style and features hasnt change) for far less than new.

Arsenal WV
03-08-2012, 09:11 AM
bmw x5