PDA

View Full Version : Pro Days

ckparrothead
03-05-2012, 02:56 PM
First off, I wrote another article about 5 Pro Day performances I'm looking forward to...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1090940-nfl-draft-2012-five-pro-days-were-looking-forward-to

Second, I would like to, if we can, have this thread be one where we discuss Pro Day developments.

For instance, the best offensive lineman I saw at Shrine practice, Brandon Brooks of Miami of Ohio had a WHALE of a Pro Day showing. He should have been invited to the NFL Scouting Combine. He was not. This is a guy that I saw measure up at Shrine practice every bit of 6'5" and 346 lbs, and yet you LOOK at him with pads on and this is not at all a fat player. He carries the weight like Dontari Poe does. I watched him in practice and he was QUICK and AGILE with all that weight, and he looked powerful, too. I wasn't familiar with the guy at all but I was shocked there would be such a diamond in the rough out there. On several practice reps he would actually neutralize two defenders at once at the second level in the briar patch, one with each hand, very powerful punching. At his pro day he ran a 5.00 and 4.98 in the 40 yard dash which is outstanding. He ran a 4.58 in the short shuttle which is again outstanding at nearly 350 lbs. He did a 7.42 three-cone drill, again superb. He did 36 bench reps at 225 lbs, again superb. His 32 inch vertical and 8'9" broad jump at that size...just all the way around there isn't a single result that is not mind boggling.

On the other hand, Orson Charles had his Pro Day today at UGA. I don't know what his other measures were, but I hear he ran a 4.75 and a 4.90 in the 40 yard dash...and that just stinks. He chose not to run in Indianapolis, yet it wasn't an injury issue as he participated in all the field drills. That puts pressure on you to run well at your Pro Day. There were winds of 20 to 30 miles per hour at the Pro Day, so many are excusing it. However, to me the wind would be the reason for the discrepancy between a 4.75 (with the wind) and a 4.90 (against the wind). Either way, this is a disastrous showing for a man that on film looked TINY and had speed as his greatest and only weapon. My guess is he bulked up big time to get up to the 251 lbs he showed at the Combine, with all that strength that let him lift the bar 35 times, but that bulk made him slow. Even so, the bulk only made him 6'2" and 250 lbs which is still small for the position. No amount of bench press prowess is going to give you ballast and strength to be an effective blocker at that position when you're a small guy. This is why Bill Walsh always explained that with offensive linemen, he's not looking for bench numbers, he's looking for what he referred to as bone girth. The bench just shows if you've been diligent about your weight room training.

I hear D.J. Woods the receiver at Cincinnati had a good pro day.

hooshoops
03-05-2012, 03:02 PM
yeah i have been hearing a lot of brooks buzz...sounds to me like he has 2nd round potential

as for orson charles not surprised he ran what he did...he didn't look any faster to me in drills at the combine than dwayne allen did and he looked much rawer and showed off a pair of what i would coin somewhat suspect hands...not to mention he came in at just 6 ft 2 and a half...i think his stocks plummeting into the 4th round range personally...i wouldn't use a top 3 round pick on him...

coby fleener better run and test well or no ones sniffing the 1st round at te...

ckparrothead
03-05-2012, 04:35 PM
as for orson charles not surprised he ran what he did...he didn't look any faster to me in drills at the combine than dwayne allen did and he looked much rawer and showed off a pair of what i would coin somewhat suspect hands...not to mention he came in at just 6 ft 2 and a half...i think his stocks plummeting into the 4th round range personally...i wouldn't use a top 3 round pick on him...

Fully agree. Wish I could say I didn't see it coming, but I did.

coby fleener better run and test well or no ones sniffing the 1st round at te...

Coby Fleener's blundering into #1 TE status just by doing nothing.

But he'll run headlong into it when he does work out. I think he's far and away (not even close) the #1 TE in this class and he deserves 1st round status.

hooshoops
03-05-2012, 04:40 PM
i wish fleener showed a bit more toughness...there's some softness to his game down the field that i don't like...i think he's more a aaron hernandez toughness and physical contact player down the field than i'd prefer despite that great size...i also wish he would use his body more and hands to create separation...guys can separate him from the ball on some things i think he should outmuscle them on

ckparrothead
03-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Yeah but at the very worst that makes him another Dennis Pitta with an ass ton more speed, athleticism and frame. Better than Jermaine Gresham, who went in the 1st.

hooshoops
03-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Yeah but at the very worst that makes him another Dennis Pitta with an ass ton more speed, athleticism and frame. Better than Jermaine Gresham, who went in the 1st.

that's true...i think he'd be a perfect fit in new york with the giants at pick #32...they're a mismatch vertical te away from being rediculous on o

datruth55
03-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Here's a sleeper TE from Cincy:

Adrien Robinson (6-4, 264 pounds) was not invited to the combine, so the tight end had to prove his NFL worth at Cincinnati’s pro day. Robinson — a first-year starter in 2011 — worked out impressively in the position drills. In workouts, Robinson clocked 4.56 and 4.55 40-yard dash times. In the jumps, Robinson excelled, going for 39.5 inches in the vertical jump and an 11-foot, 3-inch broad jump (each would have been tops among tight ends at the combine). Robinson ran 4.40 in the short shuttle and a 7.01-second cone drill, and did 15 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press.
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

Might just be a workout warrior. Only 12 receptions for 183 yards and 3 TDs this past season. Did have a long of 72 yards. Only game where he caught more than one pass was Vanderbilt in the bowl game, 4 receptions for 16 yards. Productions doesn't match athleticism...might be a guy you pick up as an undrafted free agent and see if you can groom him into something.

datruth55
03-05-2012, 04:58 PM
that's true...i think he'd be a perfect fit in new york with the giants at pick #32...they're a mismatch vertical te away from being rediculous on o
Giants have to get a TE in this draft or free agency. Pretty sure Ballard screwed his knee up pretty good in the super bowl and he won't be ready till mid season at best.

ckparrothead
03-05-2012, 05:00 PM

To me, I wonder about the Pittsburgh Steelers. Heath Miller has become more of a blocker now, doesn't really challenge a defense athletically. They may lose Mike Wallace and if that's the case they COULD replace by trying to force a 1st round pick at the Wide Receiver position...but they could also take a more dynamic, Patriots-like view of the situation and take advantage of the resources available to them, and take Fleener as a weapon that helps replace Mike Wallace.

hooshoops
03-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Giants have to get a TE in this draft or free agency. Pretty sure Ballard screwed his knee up pretty good in the super bowl and he won't be ready till mid season at best.

ballard was a slug anyways...the other te they have from wisconsin i think tore his knee up also...even if they both were healthy i'd still think that fleener makes a ton of sense for them...a ton of sense

ckparrothead
03-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Here's a sleeper TE from Cincy:

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

Might just be a workout warrior. Only 12 receptions for 183 yards and 3 TDs this past season. Did have a long of 72 yards. Only game where he caught more than one pass was Vanderbilt in the bowl game, 4 receptions for 16 yards. Productions doesn't match athleticism...might be a guy you pick up as an undrafted free agent and see if you can groom him into something.

That's a real sleeper. I'm definitely going to have to watch some Cincinnati games and try and get a handle on him. That kind of athleticism is eye-popping. Strictly speaking, the stats don't rule anything out for me...not at that position. It's a position that is victimized by the styles that teams in the NCAA are playing on offense, and when you have a virtual option quarterback like Zack Collaros...your top level guys might end up a little under-utilized. Cincinnati has a history of recruiting some pretty good football players at Tight End...between Brett Celek and Connor Barwin, who was a TE before being moved to DE.

hooshoops
03-05-2012, 05:04 PM
To me, I wonder about the Pittsburgh Steelers. Heath Miller has become more of a blocker now, doesn't really challenge a defense athletically. They may lose Mike Wallace and if that's the case they COULD replace by trying to force a 1st round pick at the Wide Receiver position...but they could also take a more dynamic, Patriots-like view of the situation and take advantage of the resources available to them, and take Fleener as a weapon that helps replace Mike Wallace.

yeah they lose wallace and i think that makes a ton of sense...but maybe a stephen hill replacement does also...i'm sure whatever they end up doing it will come out gold...just seems to work that way for them

frankly unless wallace is a bad seed i'm gonna be surprised if they don't match up to a 5 year and $40 mil deal on him...pretty surprised...and you know berger wants him back given what he brings to the table...dbs can bail from jump and 10 yards off even and still get beaten over the top by that guy...its crazy

datruth55
03-05-2012, 05:05 PM
ballard was a slug anyways...the other te they have from wisconsin i think tore his knee up also...even if they both were healthy i'd still think that fleener makes a ton of sense for them...a ton of sense
Ballard was a slug but he still averaged over 15 yards per receptions, not bad for a dude that weighs 275 lbs that you figure would be more of an inline blocker than a receiver. Not as good as Boss was in that offense but still somewhat effective.

This is a pretty crappy TE class so if TE is a need for the Giants they should take someone at #32, they may all be on the board still when Giants are on the clock.

hooshoops
03-05-2012, 05:06 PM
there's some talk that san fran is preparing a heavy offer for mike wallace in that 5 year $40 mil range...

i think ballard did most his damage cause the defense never paid any attention to him...

datruth55
03-05-2012, 05:10 PM
there's some talk that san fran is preparing a heavy offer for mike wallace in that 5 year $40 mil range...

i think ballard did most his damage cause the defense never paid any attention to him...

When you have Hakeem Nicks on one side and Cruz on the other...you get forgotten, lol.

hooshoops
03-05-2012, 05:12 PM
When you have Hakeem Nicks on one side and Cruz on the other...you get forgotten, lol.

indeed...if stevie johnson can get $36 mil over 5 years and $19 mil guaranteed despite all his quirkiness and stuff that can rub a front office the wrong way no doubt in my mind mike wallace is worth 5 years and $40 mil

Geforce
03-05-2012, 06:07 PM
On the other hand, Orson Charles had his Pro Day today at UGA. I don't know what his other measures were, but I hear he ran a 4.75 and a 4.90 in the 40 yard dash...and that just stinks. He chose not to run in Indianapolis, yet it wasn't an injury issue as he participated in all the field drills. That puts pressure on you to run well at your Pro Day. There were winds of 20 to 30 miles per hour at the Pro Day, so many are excusing it. However, to me the wind would be the reason for the discrepancy between a 4.75 (with the wind) and a 4.90 (against the wind). Either way, this is a disastrous showing for a man that on film looked TINY and had speed as his greatest and only weapon. My guess is he bulked up big time to get up to the 251 lbs he showed at the Combine, with all that strength that let him lift the bar 35 times, but that bulk made him slow. Even so, the bulk only made him 6'2" and 250 lbs which is still small for the position. No amount of bench press prowess is going to give you ballast and strength to be an effective blocker at that position when you're a small guy. This is why Bill Walsh always explained that with offensive linemen, he's not looking for bench numbers, he's looking for what he referred to as bone girth. The bench just shows if you've been diligent about your weight room training.

According to UGA, 46 scouts and coaches showed up. Among them was Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith.

Most of them wanted to get a look at tight end Orson Charles. Or, more specifically, they wanted to see how Charles did running the 40-yard dash. Charles didn’t run the 40 at the NFL combine in Indianapolis the week before last because he said he simply “wasn’t ready.”

Apparently, Charles still wasn’t ready on Monday because he his “official” time was 4.75. AJC colleague Darryl Ledbetter was there and clocked Charles once with an unofficial 4.67 seconds. In any case, Charles was unhappy with the time — he said he routinely has run in the 4.5s — but was undeterred by it.

“That’s definitely something I wish I could take back and run again,” Charles told reporters. “I’m hoping that some guy calls me and says let’s run the 40 again because I’ll definitely show them.

Charles' other numbers.
http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2012/03/05/georgia-football-players-show-their-stuff-for-nfl-scouts-at-pro-day/?cxntfid=blogs_uga_sports_blog

Vertical: 30.5
Long jump: 9.5
40-yard time: 4.75
Shuttle time: 4.75
3-cone drill time: 4.29

Geforce
03-05-2012, 06:20 PM
First off, I wrote another article about 5 Pro Day performances I'm looking forward to...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1090940-nfl-draft-2012-five-pro-days-were-looking-forward-to

Second, I would like to, if we can, have this thread be one where we discuss Pro Day developments.

For instance, the best offensive lineman I saw at Shrine practice, Brandon Brooks of Miami of Ohio had a WHALE of a Pro Day showing. He should have been invited to the NFL Scouting Combine. He was not. This is a guy that I saw measure up at Shrine practice every bit of 6'5" and 346 lbs, and yet you LOOK at him with pads on and this is not at all a fat player. He carries the weight like Dontari Poe does. I watched him in practice and he was QUICK and AGILE with all that weight, and he looked powerful, too. I wasn't familiar with the guy at all but I was shocked there would be such a diamond in the rough out there. On several practice reps he would actually neutralize two defenders at once at the second level in the briar patch, one with each hand, very powerful punching. At his pro day he ran a 5.00 and 4.98 in the 40 yard dash which is outstanding. He ran a 4.58 in the short shuttle which is again outstanding at nearly 350 lbs. He did a 7.42 three-cone drill, again superb. He did 36 bench reps at 225 lbs, again superb. His 32 inch vertical and 8'9" broad jump at that size...just all the way around there isn't a single result that is not mind boggling.
Just to add what you wrote here. Brooks 40 time included a 10 yard split of 1.71 seconds.

I hear D.J. Woods the receiver at Cincinnati had a good pro day.
As for Woods' Pro Day

Receiver D.J. Woods turned some heads with an exceptional showing. The 6-foot, 180-pound pass-catcher posted a 37-inch vertical jump, then ran a pair of 40s in the low 4.4-second range (4.42 fastest). During drills Woods ran crisp, detailed routes and caught the ball well. Coaches on hand asked the swift wideout to run nearly a dozen NFL routes and came away impressed with his ability.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html

NorFlaFin
03-05-2012, 06:33 PM
The Steelers signed Weslye Saunders last year and stashed him on their practice squad.

ckparrothead
03-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Charles' other numbers.
http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2012/03/05/georgia-football-players-show-their-stuff-for-nfl-scouts-at-pro-day/?cxntfid=blogs_uga_sports_blog

Vertical: 30.5
Long jump: 9.5
40-yard time: 4.75
Shuttle time: 4.75
3-cone drill time: 4.29

The thing to note about the "official" time here is I do not believe they use the same practices at pro days to come up with the "official" times as they do at the Combine. The Combine goes back and takes a look at the video to determine when they should have a guy start, and the priority list of movement they have set up as far as rules of what constitutes a "start" is what creates all these whacky official times that are way slower than the unofficial times. One guy had Chares at a 4.67...others had him a 4.75 and 4.90. The fact that there was a big discrepancy between the two times points to me to him running with the wind on the 4.75 and against the wind on the 4.90. That's BAD.

That 4.75 on the 20 yard shuttle is also BAD. Terrible. His 30.5 inch vertical at his size, bad. He's not going to be able to paint himself like a Dustin Keller if he can't jump like Dustin Keller. The only TE at the Combine who jumped worse was Cory Harkey and he in my opinion isn't even really a TE prospect but should be considered an OL conversion UDFA project. Again the only TE with a worse Cone Drill (I assume he meant 7.29) was Cory Harkey. Even Harkey did better than 4.75 shuttle drill.

Awful, awful Pro Day for Orson Charles.

ckparrothead
03-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Keeps getting worse for Orson Charles. As I suspected the disparity between the 4.75 he ran and the 4.90 was because the 4.75 was with the 20-30 mph winds at his back. The 4.90 was running against the wind. Everyone talking about how you need to toss out the 40's because of the wind, keep that in mind. Even aided by those winds which made it impossible at times to throw the football (reportedly), he only ran a 4.75.

The lack of athleticism is disturbing but the implications are more disturbing. He made his decision to go pro very last minute, 11th hour. He showed a lax attitude at the Combine, couldn't follow directions several times, like he wasn't taking things seriously. He came in a jacked up, muscle-bound 251 lbs on that 6024 frame of his, which is way bigger than he was in college, and of course he was able to do 35 reps on the bench. But his decision to get so rocked up clearly had a negative effect on his athleticism. Just all the way around the guy is showing a questionable attitude and pattern of decision making.

If you're going to be small, among the smallest tight ends in pro football, you'd better be fast and athletic like Dustin Keller. He wasn't the college football player that D.J. Williams was, and Williams went in the 5th round at the same size with better athleticism.

TedSlimmJr
03-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Adrien Robinson is an interesting prospect. He doesn't have the production, but when the ball is thrown to him it's usually for a substantial gain. He plays both in-line and as an H-back. He needs a lot of refinement in the blocking aspect. You can teach him how to block if he's willing to learn. Worth a look as a developmental player... there's some tools there. Smooth athlete and can adjust to the football.... he's got some fluidity in his hips. Not stiff. He has the ability to threaten the seem and runs a lot of vertical seem routes when he's playing in-line from a 3-point stance. They split him out at WR in some of their 3X1 bunch sets.

ckparrothead
03-05-2012, 10:58 PM
A guy to watch out for in a few days would be Northwester WR Jeremy Ebert. He popped out at me while I was trying to look at tape of Drake Dunsmore.

At 5'11" and 195 lbs he should run into the low 4.4's if not lower. He led the Big Ten in receiving yardage per game in 2010 and was 2nd team All Big Ten in 2011. He had 564 yards and 6 TDs on 47 catches against the meat of his Big Ten schedule, Illinois, Michigan, Iowa, Penn State, Nebraska and Michigan State in 2011. His 6 catch for 147 yard and 1 TD performance against Nebraska was a big reason the unranked Northwestern was able to beat the #10 ranked Cornhuskers even though Dan Persa left the game in the first half injured.

When you watch him you really have to admire how everything he does is at full speed. He speeds into everything and that's really good for a lot of rhythm and timing offenses that count on you to be a certain place at a certain time. He's not sudden like a Devon Wylie, so he may have trouble with tight and physical man coverage. He doesn't run after the catch with creativity, but he does run after the catch with tremendous speed and gearing. He puts on a 5th gear and then leaves the defense in the dust. The thing he does the absolute best, and it's really something to behold, is track the ball in the air and adjust on it at full speed with zero problems, putting himself in position to make the catch with soft hands. It's uncanny. You THINK he's covered, you really do. But he's not, because he's the only one really playing the ball in the air and he quickly adjusts his running and his body to get under it. This is ultimately why he may beat man coverage in the NFL, because with his speed he could get his man coverage turned and once that happens, the quarterback can just lay the ball out there, anywhere really, and Jeremy Ebert will be the only guy playing the ball in the air. That ability makes him dangerous against man, and the ability to speed into the holes in the zones makes him a natural player running routes against the zone. Because he has the ability to be dangerous against both styles, that's why I think he's an interesting late round target, especially if the Dolphins lose out and don't get hold of a Devon Wylie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7lUa0u_aVY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML623rryw8A&feature=related

sherry2012
03-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Very nice information,thank you to share!

Valandui
03-05-2012, 11:19 PM
To be honest, I'm surprised the Giants don't try Ramses Barden at TE, although he can't seem to stay healthy either.

TedSlimmJr
03-06-2012, 12:35 AM
I like Jeremy Ebert, he jumped out to me last year when I was looking at Dan Persa.

As a matter of fact, Ebert is one of Slimm's Gems...

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?310933-Slimm-s-Gems

. (http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?310933-Slimm-s-Gems)..and a kid who I felt like got snubbed from the combine. I'd rather have seen him there instead of garbage like Devier Posey, etc..

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?314111-NFL-Combine-Official-Invite-List

TedSlimmJr
03-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Greg Childs is still one of the most underrated receivers in this draft in my opinion. I love the way this kid plays the position, always have. I like the way he accelerates through his breaks and attacks the football in the air... he doesn't wait for it.

He nailed his pro day.... running a 4.41, while some scouts even had him in the high 4.3's on their watches. Also had a 40.5" vertical.

Childs improved both of those marks from the combine. He wasn't healthy all season and still hasn't recovered fully from tearing his knee up last year. Despite still not being 100% healthy, he tested well at the combine.

He's one of the top 3 WR's in this draft that are at least 6'3" on my board. I think he's going to start in the NFL at the X position, and produce once his knee is fully healthy.

hooshoops
03-07-2012, 01:15 AM
childs has grown on me a little bit but not enough to use a top 4 round pick on him...

TedSlimmJr
03-07-2012, 10:46 AM
I'll take him in the first 75 picks and not think twice about it. Hell I would've taken him in the first 4 rounds back in November when I was watching him hobble up and down the field for the Razorbacks.

datruth55
03-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Where would you rate him in relation to Stephen Hill?

ckparrothead
03-07-2012, 01:22 PM
No thanks, on Greg Childs.

NUGap
03-07-2012, 05:12 PM
What do you guys think about Jordan White who was super productive in college? I remember seeing him torch Purdue in the bowl game, but it looks like his 40 at 4.69 wasn't great. Could he be a solid slot receiver?

LouPhinFan
03-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Louisville had their pro day today. Word is TE Josh Chichester ran a 4.6 forty and looked good in pass catching drills. The player that had the best day is WR/CB Josh Bellamy. He ran a 4.42 and looked good in both WR and CB drills. No word on how LBer Dexter Heyman did today. He's probably the most draftable Cardinal.

ckparrothead
03-08-2012, 12:37 PM
I'd love to get a confirmation on Josh Chichester's Pro Day numbers.

One thing lost in the talk about the Arkansas Pro Day where Greg Childs shined, was the fact that it was Ryan Mallett that came back and threw all the passes for Joe Adams, Jarius Wright and Greg Childs.

Nice, subtle little move by Bill Belichick, marching Ryan Mallett out in front of all these scouts to give them a reminder, "Hey, you guys remember this guy you let get into the 3rd round because of character issues, even though he throws the ball really really well? He's still here and all he's done this year for us is work hard, keep his mouth shut and participate in lots of local charities. Call me."

TedSlimmJr
03-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Ryan Mallett didn't run the 40 yard dash or perform in any agility or athletic tests for Greg Childs. He did that on his own.

Tyler Wilson wasn't allowed to throw at Arkansas' pro day because there's a rule against underclassmen participating in pro day position drills.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a team needing a quarterback hit Belichick on his hip about Ryan Mallett. He should've been in Miami to begin with.

Fin Thirteen
03-08-2012, 01:41 PM
An interesting guy for the Fins is OT/OG Amini Silatolu from Midwestern State. He had to pull out of the Senior Bowl with a hamstring tweak so there must be very little for scouts to go on, in terms of his ability facing decent opposition. As such, he's gonna be there at least in the third, maybe lower. Don't see anything on Google about a Pro Day. Anyone know anything more about this guy? Seems to be a pretty tough kid.

ckparrothead
03-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Silatolu's a compact player with a nice, explosive build. He moves around really well. He caught my interest in drills. None of the OLs other than Matt Kalil, Dave DeCastro and Kevin Zeitler really looked elite in the drills. But Silatolu was one of the better ones I thought.

datruth55
03-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Looks like WR Jeff Fuller didn't help himself. Don't think too many on here were high on him, I know I wasn't.

WR Jeff Fuller, who did not run at the combine, looked sluggish as he clocked a 4.65 in the 40, along with times of 4.35 in the short shuttle and 7.10 in the 3-cone drill, both of which would have been near the bottom of WRs at the combine.

Kent State might have a couple of guys worth looking at late in the draft or as undrafted free agents.

Only 5 teams were at the KSU pro day, but they saw several athletic performances by former Flashes. Wide-body DT Ishmaa’ily Kitchen, for example, who weighed in at 335-pounds, did 35 reps in the bench press, ran a 5.35 forty and had a 31-inch vertical. C Chris Anzevino actually went one better than Kitchen when he did 36 reps in the bench press, ran well with times under 5.20 seconds in the 40 and 4.62 in the short shuttle and also posted a 31-inch vertical. Meanwhile, WR Sam Kirkland also put on athletic display, running the 40 in under 4.5 seconds, while posting a 44-inch vertical and a 10-10 broad jump.

Here's a serious eye popper from Wisconsin and a couple of guys who improved from the combine.

Badgers' WR Nick Toon improved his somewhat disappointing combine 40 time by over a tenth of a second at the Badgers’ pro day. Toon, who was clocked in at 4.54 seconds at the combine, was timed in 4.43 at his on-campus workout Toon also improved his vertical by a couple of inches as he leaped 39 inches. CB Antonio Fenelus also improved his very slow combine time in the 40 (4.68) running a 4.51.DE Louis Nzegwu, who was not invited to the combine had a very athletic performance when the 250-pounder ran the 40 in 4.57 seconds, had a 41.5-inch vertical and a broad jump of almost 11 feet. FS Aaron Henry, one of the bigger surprises among those not invited to the combine, ran a 4.53 forty.

TedSlimmJr
03-08-2012, 02:19 PM
An interesting guy for the Fins is OT/OG Amini Silatolu from Midwestern State. He had to pull out of the Senior Bowl with a hamstring tweak so there must be very little for scouts to go on, in terms of his ability facing decent opposition. As such, he's gonna be there at least in the third, maybe lower. Don't see anything on Google about a Pro Day. Anyone know anything more about this guy? Seems to be a pretty tough kid.

He's one of the most interesting small school prospects in this draft. He played left tackle at Midwestern and absolutely dominated those kids at that level of competition to the point that it was a little unfair. Just constantly throwing those guys to the ground all over the place and usually had 2 or 3 pancakes a series from what I've seen. He was way too good of an athlete, too big and too strong for that level of competition.

Nasty demeanor and finishes his blocks. A lot of lineman fail to do that even when they're capable. I like him because he's a sticky blocker. Once he gets on you his blocks stick and you stay blocked... at least at that level. I like his awareness in pass protection and he plays with urgency. Often gets 2 blocks on a single play after he's put the initial guy on his back.

I think Silatolu has really helped himself at every opportunity throughout the process and showed he belongs with the D-1 prospects when in the same environment. His tape at the lower level of competition obviously speaks for itself. Very mobile and can hit a moving target when he gets out in space and works to the second level.

Doesn't have the feet to stick at tackle in the NFL where he'll struggle with speed, which is why I think he's viewed as a guy who's going to kick inside in the NFL. He's one of the top 5 guards on my board and should go in the top 100 picks. Derek Dennis and Lucas Nix are the other two who don't get much hype, but two guys that I'm most impressed with on tape. Dennis is a devastating puller at left guard and a big reason why Bernard Pierce was such a productive back for Temple. He looks like Chance Warmack when he's pulling.... who's going to be the #1 guard next year.

LouPhinFan
03-08-2012, 02:27 PM
I'd love to get a confirmation on Josh Chichester's Pro Day numbers.

Here's the most comprehensive write up I've been able to find.

16 pro scouts were in attendance yesterday afternoon for Louisville’s annual Pro Day. The departing seniors conducted vertical and broad jumps, bench press, 40-yard dash, pro shuttle and 3-cone drills and also did individual position workouts.

Josh Bellamy’s performance at the “Battle of Florida” All Star game in January earned him a lot of attention from pro scouts. He continued to show his next level ability as scouts from the Saints, Browns, Ravens, Colts, Seahawks, Packers, and Bengals were in attendance yesterday. Bellamy probably had a better Pro Day than any other Louisville player. He worked out at both the wide receiver and cornerback position. He posted an impressive 4.42 in the 40-yard dash.

Greg Scruggs also had a solid day in front of scouts, posting a 4.6 in the 40-yard dash. Scruggs has been working out with Loren Landow, the director of Sports Performance at the Steadman Hawkins Clinic in Denver. He has also spent time working out with Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow. Scruggs is represented by the Pro Link Sports Agency.

Defensive end William Savoy also posted a time in the 4.6 range and surprised a lot of people with his speed and athletic ability. Josh Chichester posted a 4.6 in the 40-yard dash and ran routes at both the tight-end and wide receiver positions.

A day after working out with Randy Moss and the New Orleans Saints, Brian Brohm returned to his alma-mater to help out with Senior Day. Brohm threw to the wide receivers and tight-ends.

http://www.thecardinalconnect.com/?p=12441

I find it odd that I can't find any info on how Dexter Heyman did.

TedSlimmJr
03-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I knew it wouldn't be long until Ishmaa'ily Kitchen was getting his due. I pointed out how underrated of a player he was a while back:

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?313953-Marvin-McNutt-WR-Iowa/page2

I watched him play against Alabama and it looked like Josh Chapman swapped uniforms. Ishmaa'ily Kitchen is a rock. Underrated 2 down run plugger who could play the 0-tech. He reminds me a little bit of a shorter Ahtyba Rubin when he came out of Iowa St. a few years ago.

NorFlaFin
03-08-2012, 02:30 PM

I'll bet he turns up at the nearest D1 school with a Pro Day already scheduled. FSU routinely invites FAMU, Valdasta, and couple of small schools to send their athletes to run at FSU pro day. Additionally individual athletes living in the areas can participate if invited.

Midwestern State 3410 Taft Blvd Wichita Falls, TX 76308 where the nearest D1 school is most where Amini Silatolu turns up.

hooshoops
03-08-2012, 03:13 PM
i have silatolu in my top 5 guard list ahead of the kid from iowa st...i thought he showed very well at the combine and showed off some nice feet

TedSlimmJr
03-08-2012, 03:27 PM
i have silatolu in my top 5 guard list ahead of the kid from iowa st...i thought he showed very well at the combine and showed off some nice feet

I think Osemele can play right tackle... he's a tackle on my board. I'd try him there first and experiment with him inside should I end up not liking him there.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people have Cordy Glenn as one of the top guards on their board either... although I actually think he looks better on tape at tackle than he does at guard. He struggles to get out of his stance quick enough when he's playing guard and it causes him to play with inconsistent leverage at times. He looks like the second best offensive tackle in the draft on tape to me, and is better served at RT where he can use his natural feet, athletic ability, and overall length to his advantage as opposed to guard.

He was a dancing bear at offensive tackle once he got used to it. After the first game against Boise St. where he had to get used to playing the position for the first time, Cordy Glenn was the best tackle I saw game in and game out all season. He had the best tape. It's no surprise to me that he's went out and blown his counterparts out of the water every chance he's had to display his strength and athleticism.

hooshoops
03-08-2012, 03:44 PM
yeah i think osemele can play right tackle also but he's a step down for me from cordy glenn who i really like as a right tackle guard prospect...i have glenn the #2 guard prospect in the draft and a potential top 20 pick guy...definitely 1st round grade...i really like glenn

WelcomeBack
03-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Brandon Carswell had a great pro day. Just overall solid. He'll get plenty of looks now.

hooshoops
03-08-2012, 09:14 PM
evidently joe adams was unable to improve on his 4.55 official 40 time at his pro day...

datruth55
03-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Tommy Streeter had a bad pro day. He stood on all his numbers from the combine but he did positional drills and ran poor routes and dropped a few balls.

Lee Chambers had a very good day. Not invited to the combine but he's a kid I really like. Came to Miami as a running back but moved over to corner a couple of years ago. Didn't get much of a chance to play under Randy Shannon but did play some last year as the 3rd corner. I think this kid would be great to get as an undrafted free agent to stash on the practice squad and coach him up to be a slot corner. He ran 4.41 in the 40, had a 40.5" vertical.
http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030712aad.html

Kdawg954
03-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Streeter should have stayed another year.

Any news on Aldarius at the UM Pro Day? I heard he was allowed to participate despite being suspended for the year.

NUGap
03-08-2012, 11:58 PM
WR Jeremy Ebert runs a 4.38 at Northwestern's Pro Day, per Pat Fitzgerald's Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/#!/coachfitz51/status/177845660106764288

datruth55
03-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Streeter should have stayed another year.

Any news on Aldarius at the UM Pro Day? I heard he was allowed to participate despite being suspended for the year.
Didn't hear about the positional drills but I heard he ran in the low 4.4's in the 40...he sure didn't play that fast.

SMadison29
03-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Didn't hear about the positional drills but I heard he ran in the low 4.4's in the 40...he sure didn't play that fast.

I seriously doubt that time. Last year in the spring he ran in the 4.7s. I'm waiting to get his 40 time from one of the Canes reporters.

ckparrothead
03-09-2012, 01:57 AM
WR Jeremy Ebert runs a 4.38 at Northwestern's Pro Day, per Pat Fitzgerald's Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/#!/coachfitz51/status/177845660106764288

Yowsa! Great job by Ebert. That'll get him drafted higher than the 7th round, for sure.

PaPhinz
03-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Orson Charles got arrested for DUI last night/early this morning. That definitely isn't going to help his stock.

Source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/09/orson-charles-top-tight-end-nfl-draft-prospect-arrested-for-dui/

TedSlimmJr
03-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Orson Charles is trying to go completely undrafted it appears. He hasn't done a single thing right since UGA's season ended. His entire process has been one disaster after another.

The last break he caught was when he shattered the Crystal Football that sits atop the Sears Trophy on his recruiting visit to Florida.

hooshoops
03-09-2012, 10:03 AM
all those canes wrs are garbage...only canes who really interest me period are vernon and washington and washington i'm kinda meh on...

anyways...evidently fletcher cox lit up positional drills at his pro day...heavy top 10 momentum

weeden and blackmon today...i'll be interested in seeing if blackmon will run mid 4.5's or better...if he does i think he locks up a top 6 pick won't get by st louis wherever they end up trading out to

orson charles in straight up freefall...

hooshoops
03-09-2012, 10:12 AM
whats the thought on sensabaugh the db from clemson??? i like his length and he's got some tools to work with...i'm intrigued as a mid round guy but i have a feeling that he looks better in drills than he does on tape

incidentally brandon thompson has dropped out of my top 50 bpa and andre branch never was in it to begin with...don't see the love affair with that kid that mayock and others seem to have

datruth55
03-09-2012, 10:36 AM
all those canes wrs are garbage...only canes who really interest me period are vernon and washington and washington i'm kinda meh on...

anyways...evidently fletcher cox lit up positional drills at his pro day...heavy top 10 momentum

weeden and blackmon today...i'll be interested in seeing if blackmon will run mid 4.5's or better...if he does i think he locks up a top 6 pick won't get by st louis wherever they end up trading out to

orson charles in straight up freefall...
Don't disagree with that. Although I like Washington a little more than you do, think he would be a very good RG.

Vernon improved on his 40 time from the combine. He ran 4.80 at the combine and 4.68 at the pro day. He can play with his hand in the dirt and I think he can play from a two point stance. Wouldn't be a bad guy to target in the middle rounds and he'd give us the versatility to switch fronts. At 6'3" 262 lbs he has the size.

hooshoops
03-09-2012, 10:43 AM
i think there's some seriously untapped potential in vernon...the kind that if you get out of him as a pro you may well have yourself a player...middle rounds sounds right to me

i think washingtons also a middle round value who may come off the board in the 3rd round but i wouldn't do it...more a 4th round guy to me

TedSlimmJr
03-09-2012, 10:57 AM
whats the thought on sensabaugh the db from clemson??? i like his length and he's got some tools to work with...i'm intrigued as a mid round guy but i have a feeling that he looks better in drills than he does on tape

incidentally brandon thompson has dropped out of my top 50 bpa and andre branch never was in it to begin with...don't see the love affair with that kid that mayock and others seem to have

I like him. He's one of the top 15 CB's on my board, and there's usually about 30-35 CB's that get drafted. He has a nice feel for how routes develope... heady player.

He was 2nd in the ACC this year in PBU's for cornerbacks with 13. Kevin Steele liked to use him in the slot when facing multiple WR sets, although he played the field side corner in base defense. Played a lot of bump-and-run man coverage on the outside and shows the ability to turn and run with receivers easily. Always keeps his back to the sideline when blocked on perimeter runs and becomes the "force" player to redirect runners back inside to where the help is. That's the way you're coached to do it.

Shows good recovery speed when/if he misses the jam at the LOS. Likes to get his hands on receivers and doesn't look out of place if he has to get physical with a receiver.

There's definitely some skills there to work with and has plenty of raw talent to make a roster in the NFL.

hooshoops
03-09-2012, 11:01 AM
how bout menzie slimm at safety...i don't like him at all at cb but i saw mayock has him as his 4th rated safety i believe...is he physical enough to man the position and whats the thoughts on him at free???

i just don't see it...

bout time brandon taylor got some love from mayock as his 3rd rated safety...i like taylor...i don't think he's gonna be special but i think he's a solid heady player

MiamiDolphin618
03-09-2012, 01:08 PM
bout time brandon taylor got some love from mayock as his 3rd rated safety...i like taylor...i don't think he's gonna be special but i think he's a solid heady player
I like Taylor as well. He is pushing up some boards, but I still think he could go in the middle somewhere. I think he could probably come in and start relatively quickly. Im also still all for giving Janzen Jackson a very long look...all the talent in the world there its just a matter of if he can handle it mentally

ckparrothead
03-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Woof. Justin Blackmon a 4.48 in the 40 with a 35 inch vertical and 10'4" broad jump. Those marks are PLENTY good enough to keep him atop this WR draft class. Tony Pauline says a fastest of 4.45 with some higher in the 4.4's. One other guy said that some people around him even had numbers that broke into the 4.3's. Justin just made some money.

ckparrothead
03-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Justin Blackmon's second run just came in the 4.39 to 4.45 range depending on whose stopwatch.

hooshoops
03-09-2012, 01:35 PM
what he weigh in at??? less than 209??? anyways lets say he plays at 220 i'm guessing they would say his playin weight lends itself to a mid 4.5 guy which is plenty good enough for his game...

this is also why i don't believe washington is gonna win the trade out with st louis...if the rams move to #6 they are putting themselves in a dicey position on either blackmon or claiborne getting to them...if they trade out to #4 however they look to have their choice of one or the other and i think blackmon wins out if their both on the board either way...but at #6 you are allowing someone to steal your cookies in front of you...if i'm the rams and i'm trading this pick the browns are who i'm doing it with...and its why in the end i think it will in fact be the browns

ckparrothead
03-09-2012, 02:20 PM
I doubt he weighed significantly less. Nobody has flagged his weight for having changed.

TedSlimmJr
03-09-2012, 03:00 PM
how bout menzie slimm at safety...i don't like him at all at cb but i saw mayock has him as his 4th rated safety i believe...is he physical enough to man the position and whats the thoughts on him at free???

i just don't see it...

Well it's going to be awful difficult for any CB to play in the NFL with 4.6 speed.... high 4.5's on a good day. Menzie is typically the guy that we rotated the safety (Lester) over the top in base defense, or any situation in which we blitzed and were no longer playing zone on the perimeter.... which is why Menzie never got beat. He moved inside to the slot in nickel packages and Milliner took his place on the outside.

Great tackler and is good in zone coverage. Physicality and tackling isn't the issue.

The question would be his ability to pick up a system and essentially be the QB of a secondary if you move him to safety. Along with whether or not he has the range. Nobody knows if he does or not until you see him play safety. I think it's a projection by Mayock. Menzie has been a good player at CB for Bama since he came out of JUCO, but he's not one of the top 5 best safeties in this draft in my opinion. He's never played safety.

I think Mayock sees the stiffness in Menzie's hips and his lack of "speed", coupled with his outstanding physicality and tackling prowess and projects him as a safety.

ckparrothead
03-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Lots of really good stuff here.

Jeremy Ebert is a guy I tabbed while watching film of Drake Dunsmore. Funny how that works out but I just couldn't help but notice this guy #11 that looks so fast and agile, like such a play maker, and I think he plays a little bigger than he's listed. I got to watching and researching him more and he was actually a very high production player, leading the Big Ten in receiver production in 2010. He had a good 2011, too. He's so fast, he stays in high gear in everything he does. What that means is sometimes he doesn't run the most sudden routes and cuts, but the speed helps him be where he needs to be when he needs to be there which is good against zones in a rhythm/timing attack. In man he's fast enough to get the DBs pressing and then when the ball is in the air HE OWNS IT. It's his. His adjustment on the ball in the air is right up there with guys I've tabbed for that like Justin Blackmon and Devon Wylie. It might be better. It's at uncanny levels, like he's the only one playing the ball while everyone else is busy slapping their dicks around. The key is he does all this at high speed, which is why none of the guys in coverage with him are able to play the ball, they're all pressing. I've seen so many passes go right into a crowd full of defenders and it didn't matter because the defenders are all focused on Ebert and Ebert is focused on the ball. Anyway, he ran a 4.38 and that shows the speed I'm talking about.

Michael Smith is actually a guy that caught my eye at Utah State more than Robert Turbin who was the headliner. Turbin to me is more of a Marion Barber, but more like a post-2007 Marion Barber. Turbin had a pretty decent Combine so maybe I'm not being fair on him but that's what I saw. Smith more compact, a better cutter, faster, more explosive...I just saw more NFL potential in him.

Chase Ford running a 4.76 with a 33 inch vertical is a good result for him. The key is the guy is 6063 and 258 lbs. That's plenty of athlete for that frame and he DOMINATED at Shrine practice and even in the game. This is a guy that wasn't very productive but when I went back and watched the film I thought Miami just did a piss poor job of using him.

Dont'a Hightower's ABYSMAL showing in the shuttle and cone drills (4.68 and 7.55) show you why I have not liked him as a prospect. SLUGGISH is the word. He has speed but it's purely BUILD-UP speed, which he showed at the Combine by running a 4.68 at 6'2" and 265 lbs. As Simon put it, in one of our initial Draft Winds pieces, he turns like a paddle steamer. I've always had him tabbed as more of a defensive end prospect than a true linebacker...but as a defensive end you wouldn't draft him before the 4th round or so. I wouldn't draft him before then as a linebacker, either.

MiamiMuss
03-09-2012, 05:44 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html

Heres a nice write up of the llast couple of Pro days this week.

MiamiMuss
03-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Also 1 wr im interested in from Miami is Travis Benjamin.Not saying to go draft him but i think he would help out on ST's like punt and kick returns.Hes got speed and thats an obvious need that Miamis O lacks.

datruth55
03-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Also 1 wr im interested in from Miami is Travis Benjamin.Not saying to go draft him but i think he would help out on ST's like punt and kick returns.Hes got speed and thats an obvious need that Miamis O lacks.
You must have not watched many Miami games. Benjamin is a liability in the return game. He fumbles a lot and misplays punts often and he doesn't bring enough big plays as a return guy to warrant the risk.

MiamiMuss
03-09-2012, 08:02 PM
You must have not watched many Miami games. Benjamin is a liability in the return game. He fumbles a lot and misplays punts often and he doesn't bring enough big plays as a return guy to warrant the risk.

Well in my original post i would like to put "could" instead of "would".As a Canes fan from Central NY i dont get to see every single game but ive watched alot of games.I dont recall him having alot of fumbles and misplays on punts as u would say but i could be wrong.

Theres 0 risk involved in a guy being brought in as a UDFA.

ginn and juice
03-09-2012, 10:01 PM
T.Y Hilton --- 4.34

datruth55
03-17-2012, 02:15 AM
Cal's pro day

safety D.J. Campbell posted a solid all-around performance with 22 bench press reps that would have tied for first among safeties at the combine, while he ran a quick 4.51 40-yard dash and had leaps of 38-inches in the vertical and 10-7 in the BJ, each of which would have been among the leaders at the position at the combine. The most surprising reslts at the Cal pro day, though, may have been recorded by WR Michael Calvin, who only caught 20 passes this fall, but made the all-workout team when the 6-2, 215-pounder ran in the 4.35 area for the forty in windy, rainy conditions, while posting leaps of 40.5 inches in the vertical and 11-1 in the BJ.

Arizona State's pro day

Not so nice a day for MLB Vontaze Burfict who followed up a dismal combine, which included a pedestrian (with a 400-pound gorilla on its back) 40 clocking of 5.09, with a dismal pro day effort in which he managed only 16 reps in the BP and looked slow in positional drills.

Oregon State's pro day

CB Brandon Hardin, who was not at the combine, put on an athletic show; a big corner who could also project to safety in the pros, ran in the low-to-mid 4.4 range for the 40, while posting 24 reps, more than any DB at the combine, in the BP. At the same time, FB/HBJoe Halahuni weighed in at a slimmed down 240 pounds, ran the 40 in under 4.80 seconds, and had a very quick time of 6.70 seconds in the 3-cone.

datruth55
03-17-2012, 02:17 AM
T.Y Hilton --- 4.34

His 3-cone time was a bit slow though.

T.Y. Hilton, who didn't run at the combine because of a quad injury, showed some speed runnning the 40 in the 4.40 range with some teams getting him as low as 4.35. Hilton also posted a 7.06 clocking in the 3-cone drill

datruth55
03-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Two of Iowa's NFL prospects, offensive tackle Riley Reiff and wide receiver Marvin McNutt Jr., had solid but unspectacular workouts Monday at the Hawkeyes' Pro Day in Iowa City. Lesser-known guard Adam Gettis, meanwhile, impressed NFL personnel in attendance, a group that included five representatives of the Kansas City Chiefs.

An analysis of the day's workouts, according to sources who were in attendance:

— Reiff did not look like a premier athlete worthy of a top 10 pick. At 312 pounds, he looked the same as he did at the Combine, a little fleshy with a bit of a gut. He did 26 reps on the bench press and had a 29 1/2-inch vertical jump. His positional workout was solid and he showed the strength and hand use that NFL teams expected, but he also displayed a narrow base and was slightly straight-legged in drills. As a result, he leaned and reached more than expected from a top athlete. Despite the so-so workout, Reiff will still be drafted in the first round.

— Gettis was both smooth and fluid in drills and showed the ability to slide and mirror well. The 6-3, 293-pounder used his hands well in drills and displayed good strength. This performance will ease teams’ concerns about his playing strength. He also didn't disappoint when teams asked him to snap the ball in order to evaluate him as a potential center. For a player who only became a starter in 2011, Gettis was impressive. He likely will be a fifth- or sixth-round pick.

— McNutt did nothing to ease concerns about his lack of explosiveness and speed. He caught the ball well, but he looked upright and stiff in routes. He showed no explosiveness in routes or burst out of cuts. McNutt will likely be a late-round pick because of his hands.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-03-20/nfl-draft-2012-reiff-ok-gettis-surges-at-iowa-pro-day

elite14eva
03-22-2012, 12:06 AM
ck what do you think of jayron hosley...do we have interest? what round do you see him going in & is he on our radar?

datruth55
03-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Arkansas State

Representatives from 15 teams were on hand to watch Arkansas State’s pro day on Tuesday. Ravens linebackers coach Don Martindale was one of two position coaches in attendance, and LB Demario Davis (6-foot-2 3/8, 239 pounds) made quite the impression with his workout.

Davis tested well, running a 4.56-second 40-yard dash and posting a 38 1/2-inch vertical leap. He looked very fluid in his position drills, and was good when forced to drop into space as well as when catching the ball. He has a chance to be a mid-round draft pick.

Appalachian State

Appalachian State WR Brian Quick (6-foot-3 3/8, 215 pounds) has generated quite a buzz in the pre-draft process, and he kept his momentum going with a solid showing at the school’s pro day on March 19. Twenty six teams, the most ever to attend an Appalachian State pro day according to the school, showed up to watch Quick and his teammates.
Quick ran a 4.59-second 40-yard dash into the wind and a 4.53 40 with the wind at his back. But the most important mark was his 1.47-second 10-yard split, which shows he has great initial burst. His best football could be ahead of him, as he played only one year in high school but was a great basketball player.

He also showed in position drills that he is just as fast on the field as he is on paper.

DeAndre Presley (5-9 7/8, 183) also stood out with his performance. The former QB ran 4.55 and 4.47 40-yard dashes and had a 32 1/2-inch vertical leap, 9-foot-7 broad jump, 4.37-second short shuttle, 7.06-second three-cone drill and 7 reps of 225 pounds. He showed his versatility by working out at DB, WR and PR. He caught punts well and looked quick in DB drills.

datruth55
03-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Vanderbilt

Defensive end Tim Fugger (6-foot-3 1/4 and 248 pounds) — a non-combine invitee — took full advantage of the opportunity to work out in front of NFL teams and might have helped his draft status the most. Fugger ran 4.65 and 4.60 seconds in the 40-yard dash, posted a 34-inch vertical jump, 9-foot-7 broad jump, a 4.20-second short shuttle time, a 7.00-second three-cone drill and did 29 strength lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press.

Fugger worked out both as a pass-rushing defensive lineman with his hand on the ground as well as a linebacker executing in space. The impressive workout might vault Fugger as high as the fifth round in April’s draft (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012).

Virginia Tech

The most promising prospect from Virginia Tech in this year’s draft appears to be running back David Wilson. While some see Wilson as a potential first-round selection, I think he’s going to get picked somewhere in the middle to late second round.

Wilson (5-foot-9 7/8 and 206 pounds) ran the 40-yard dash just once (4.40 seconds) and did not participate in the jumps or shuttles, standing by his numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine (http://www.nfl.com/combine). Wilson had a very good position workout, showing quickness and explosion, but questions about his ability to catch the ball probably hurt his draft status.

Here are the other notable performers from Virginia Tech’s pro day:

Jarrett Boykin, WR (6-2, 212) — Boykin ran 4.57 and 4.58 in the 40 (keep in mind the fast track), had a 34-inch vertical jump and 11-foot broad jump, a 4.31 short shuttle and a 6.63 three-cone, which was very good. Boykin did a good job in his position workout.

Danny Coale, WR (5-11 7/8, 200) — Coale ran a 4.37 and 4.39 in the 40, posted a 37-inch vertical and 10-3 broad jump, and had times of 4.09 seconds in the short shuttle and 6.63 in the three-cone drill. Coale had a good position workout. With so many wide receivers in the draft, Coale projects as a likely selection in the sixth or seventh round.

Jayron Hosley, CB (5-11, 182) — Despite the fast running surface, Hosley kept his times from the combine. Hosley did post a 34 1/2-inch vertical and 10-1 broad jump. Hosley did the position drills, displaying good ball skills, quickness and recognition in the passing game. Size is a concern given all of the tall pass catchers that populate NFL receiving corps. However, Hosley’s quickness makes up for that lack of height, and that helps him project to being selected somewhere in the middle of the second round.

Louisiana-Lafayette

Twenty three teams showed up to Louisiana-Lafayette’s pro day on Tuesday. Both CB Dwight Bentley (5-foot-9 7/8, 183 pounds) and TE Ladarius Green (6-5 7/8, 239) were integral to the Ragin’ Cajuns’ success last year, and now each one is poised to reap the rewards of a strong season.

Bentley posted a 35.5-inch vertical leap at his pro day. He showed quick feet and good closing ability in position drills.

Green looked very smooth and fluid in position drills, and he caught every ball thrown to him. He recorded a 35.5-inch vertical leap, 10-6 broad jump, and 17 reps in the bench press. He has a chance to be selected at the end of the third round.

Northwestern State CB Jeremy Johnson (6-0, 190) also showed up to the pro day and was a revelation. He ran 4.53 and 4.56 40-yard dashes and had a 39.5 vertical leap, 10-8 broad jump, 4.32 shuttle. 7.02 three-cone, and 12 bench press reps. He had a good workout and resembles former Louisiana-Lafayette standout Ike Taylor. He should be a third-day pick.

San Diego State

San Diego State’s prolific backfield was the main attraction on its Wednesday pro day, which 22 teams attended. Patriots OC Josh McDaniels and Bengals QB coach Ken Zampese were among the assistants to take in the Aztecs’ workout, which was held in ideal conditions.

Some coaches were in for a disappointment, as RB Ronnie Hillman (5-9 1/8, 195) was unable to participate in the day’s action because he had a problem with his left hamstring.

But QB Ryan Lindley (6-3 3/4, 226) put on a show, completing 67 of 73 passes on the day despite not working with any of his own receivers. Lindley is very smart and has good arm strength. He should be a fourth-round draft pick.

datruth55
03-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Wake Forest

Wake Forest’s pro day was held on March 19, with representatives from 23 NFL teams present.

Here’s how some of the more notable prospects performed:

Chris Givens, WR (5-foot-11 1/4, 204 pounds) — Givens stood on his marks from the NFL Combine, but had a very good workout. He is a good route-runner and should be taken late in the second round of the NFL Draft.

This kid needs to be on our board. If we can trade down from #42 to around #50 grab an extra pick and still get this kid we need to make it happen.