PDA

View Full Version : Govt. agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

NY8123
03-06-2012, 12:32 PM
This is ****ing ludicrous. What a freedom impingement, I mean really how can they argue that this is even legal?

Suck a dick on this ****ing ****. I would ****ing delete my account before I gave these *******s free rein.

Govt. agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

By Bob Sullivan

If you think privacy settings on your Facebook and Twitter accounts guarantee future employers or schools can't see your private posts, guess again.
Employers and colleges find the treasure-trove of personal information hiding behind password-protected accounts and privacy walls just too tempting, and some are demanding full access from job applicants and student athletes.

In Maryland, job seekers applying to the state's Department of Corrections have been asked during interviews to log into their accounts and let an interviewer watch while the potential employee clicks through wall posts, friends, photos and anything else that might be found behind the privacy wall.

Previously, applicants were asked to surrender their user name and password, but a complaint from the ACLU stopped that practice last year. While submitting to a Facebook review is voluntary, virtually all applicants agree to it out of a desire to score well in the interview, according Maryland ACLU legislative director Melissa Coretz Goemann.

http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/06/10585353-govt-agencies-colleges-demand-applicants-facebook-passwords

Dolphins9954
03-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Our country has thrown out the principles of privacy and unwarranted searches a long time ago. It's a shame and disgraceful.

NY8123
03-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Our country has thrown out the principles of privacy and unwarranted searches a long time ago. It's a shame and disgraceful.

It is a shame and the saddest part of all is that they have to do it with the allusion of protecting American Freedom.

Vaark
03-06-2012, 12:58 PM
that's why I am on FB masquerading as my cat...

Dolphins9954
03-06-2012, 01:10 PM
It is a shame and the saddest part of all is that they have to do it with the allusion of protecting American Freedom.

You need to give up liberty in order to protect liberty. LOL!!!!

CedarPhin
03-06-2012, 05:01 PM
I got rid of mine.

studsatele
03-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Got rid of mine long ago. Its not like they wont break in anyway, now thats not good enough, now they want us to be openly compliant, docile, servile slave people.

JCane
03-07-2012, 12:37 AM
that's why I am on FB masquerading as my cat...

Can I be your friend?

Vaark
03-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Can I be your friend?

I thought we already were :idk: (check your FH "friends list")

Dolphins9954
03-07-2012, 11:52 AM
I still have mine. I just operate on the premise that I don't give a F about what the government thinks about me.

Tetragrammaton
03-07-2012, 11:49 PM
I have just passed the 24 hour mark of Facebook deletion. At the risk of making light of a serious issue, I know how a drug addict feels now.

Valandui
03-08-2012, 06:39 AM
I never use mine. I get on maybe once every month or two and rarely post when I do.

NY8123
03-08-2012, 09:48 AM
If they hack into my facebook there isn't any real info there that any person who personally knows me couldn't provide anyway. All they are going to find are pictures all over the world of me drinking beer.

DisturbedShifty
03-08-2012, 09:57 AM
If an employer ever asked me for any information along those line, Facebook or otherwise, I would tell 'em to go play hide and go **** yourself.

DeDolfan
03-08-2012, 10:05 AM
This is ****ing ludicrous. What a freedom impingement, I mean really how can they argue that this is even legal?

Suck a dick on this ****ing ****. I would ****ing delete my account before I gave these *******s free rein.

might as well leave our bedroom doors open for them also.

tylerdolphin
03-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Nothing really bad on mine as long as they dont look through my private messages.

Gonzo
03-08-2012, 12:09 PM
If they want to see pictures of me getting drunk at Mardi Gras, they can just ask. Otherwise, they can go **** themselves. No interest in going to a school or working for a company that wants that much info about me.

Locke
03-08-2012, 12:58 PM
I never use mine. I get on maybe once every month or two and rarely post when I do.

I had to deactivate mine a few years back after one of the other PhD candidates got caught banging one of his students. Turns out the student found him on facebook and it went from there. So the university put it into our contracts that anyone in a teaching role can't have a facebook. It sucked at first, but I don't really miss it anymore...

Dolphins9954
03-08-2012, 12:59 PM
This is why I love being self-employed.

Locke
03-08-2012, 01:03 PM
This is why I love being self-employed.

What do you do? If it's not too personal of a question...

Dolphins9954
03-08-2012, 01:24 PM
What do you do? If it's not too personal of a question...

Everything from home renovations, remodeling and just about everything you see on the DIY network. I also fix people's computers and even do some DJ work as well. Whatever is paying pretty much.

Locke
03-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Everything from home renovations, remodeling and just about everything you see on the DIY network. I also fix people's computers and even do some DJ work as well. Whatever is paying pretty much.

I was thinking you have the most sporadic schedule for being on Xbox a few weeks ago, this explains it. Everyone else I can predict who is going to be on at what time of day, but there was no way to do that with you. This explains it...

Dolphins9954
03-08-2012, 01:31 PM
I was thinking you have the most sporadic schedule for being on Xbox a few weeks ago, this explains it. Everyone else I can predict who is going to be on at what time of day, but there was no way to do that with you. This explains it...

Yeah I'm all over the place. But as soon as I can get some xbox time in I do no matter what time it is.