PDA

View Full Version : 401k help

Dolfan3773
03-07-2012, 12:16 AM
I need some advice from anyone who can help. I currently have my 401k 100% invested into Vanguard target 2050. Is this a good option? Am I doing the right thing. Any advice would help. Thanks.

Bumpus
03-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Diversification is always a good idea. Putting all of your eggs in one basket can be a very dangerous prospect.

Dolfan3773
03-07-2012, 10:42 AM
8500 8501 8502

These are the options available...any help would be much appreciated. What are the best ones to invest in?

NY8123
03-07-2012, 12:00 PM
It looks like your company is following a basic 401K offering. (Side note: I am not an investor lol take this with a grain of salt).

Cash Equivalents - Stable value funds (low risk, low return)
Short and Long Term Bonds
Balanced (Bonds and Equities mix)
Equity - (high risk, high/low return)

I have my 401K split between all four, when I was younger I invested heavier in Equity (my own company stock and a few others) as a gamble that it would hit when I was retirement age, now I put literally nothing into my companies stock. It is what it is a wild card. If it hits great, if not OK.

The rest of mine are divided between the three cash, short/long and balanced.

2050 is OK and the Dodge Cox Balanced looks OK and then pick a Bond/ Managed Income and invest in all three. (or 4 if you hit up some equities).

The stocks are your Equities - High risk and low/high reward. If you are young do some research and take a shot at one or two but don't sink all your money into them.

But the bottom line is this, IT IS YOUR MONEY. Do what you think is right!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know anything more than the next Joe, seek some investment advice from a company, it never hurts.

Fin Fan in Cali
03-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Bro do research and diversify. You should be able to have your account online so you can check your performance on the fund that you are presently in, and others that your plan offers you. Usually you can see recent trading as well as mid term, and life of the fund. If you are in 3 to 5 different funds, you are not likely to take a beating as if you are in just one fund. Also you have to decide how you want to invest aggressive with most possibility for a nice return with risk, or you can go middle of the road aggressive. Most young investors are aggressive because they have such a long time with a smaller percentage in bonds, where as someone who is older maybe more conservative with more in bonds as well, so that they are at less risk. Myself I am in four different funds. Best of luck.

Fin Fan in Cali
03-07-2012, 11:09 PM
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0699&FundIntExt=INT

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/vanguard/all?reset=true&sort=name&sortorder=asc&assetclass=stk

Bro if you click on Vanguard funds tab on the top left hand side, you can review different funds. There is a lot of data here for you to look at.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/vanguard/all?reset=true&sort=name&sortorder=asc&assetclass=all

This is the grouping your Target fund is in. You can compare to others as far as performance goes.