PDA

View Full Version : 8th-grader forced to tell entire school she's pregnant: lawsuit

BAMAPHIN 22
03-08-2012, 12:38 PM
A 15-year-old New Mexico teen was kicked out of school then publicly humiliated all because she was pregnant, according to the American Civil Liberties Union. Court papers filed in US District Court by the ACLU on behalf of Shantelle Hicks, who is in the eighth grade at Wingate Elementary School in McKinley, N.M., said when school officials found out she was pregnant, they first booted her out of school.... http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/teen-sues-school-staff-members-announce-pregnancy-a-school-assembly-article-1.1035311

Gonzo
03-08-2012, 12:41 PM
15 year old 8th grader? Am I bad at math?

NM is becoming AZ lite!

Locke
03-08-2012, 01:13 PM
15 year old 8th grader? Am I bad at math?

NM is becoming AZ lite!

Rural NM is stuck in the early 1900s. There's a town here that still has a saloon. This isn't surprising...

cbreeden
03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Rural NM is stuck in the early 1900s. There's a town here that still has a saloon. This isn't surprising...

Saloons don't necessarily equate to 1900s. There are some refurbed watering holes in Bisbee, Tombstone and Tucson, AZ as well as Colorado Springs, CO and even Las Vegas, NV that are saloons. Maybe they just equate to western US. :brewskis:

Locke
03-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Saloons don't necessarily equate to 1900s. There are some refurbed watering holes in Bisbee, Tombstone and Tucson, AZ as well as Colorado Springs, CO and even Las Vegas, NV that are saloons. Maybe they just equate to western US. :brewskis:

Very true, but I meant that as an example moreso than the sole reason. It's hard to explain, you have to visit them to understand. I remember Vaark mentioning he got stuck on a rural NM town a few years back, so he can probably attest to this. They just seem to still be stuck in an archaic way of thinking...

cbreeden
03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Very true, but I meant that as an example moreso than the sole reason. It's hard to explain, you have to visit them to understand. I remember Vaark mentioning he got stuck on a rural NM town a few years back, so he can probably attest to this. They just seem to still be stuck in an archaic way of thinking...

Yeah, the more I think about it and remember a few years ago I was stuck in a couple of little towns west of Soccoro (sp?) on the Harley during some down pours. I'm guessing the mentality goes hand-in-hand with the appearance? It's hard to leave a mind-set when the minds that would be changing it leave the community.

Probably the same with the town this teen goes to school.

Vaark
03-08-2012, 02:42 PM

You remembered, eh? it was Lordsburg NM where I got stuck for over a week in a dive of a motel that was around since the Lindburgh baby kidnappingwith a hyperactive, bored and belligerent 13 year old intent on trying out every wrestling move on me . Oil gaskets blew out in the middle of the scorching desert after being detoured about 15 miles south of I-10 due to a sand storm. Engine went dry and blew up before the oil light even came on. Was towed in by this creepy old guy who told us he's seen more than a few UFOs out there in the dark desert over the years. Little town was mostly Mexican American, so there were lots of 60s Chevys, etc. Nice people living in a dumpy town that took about 6 minutes to drive through. Only lines I saw were at McDonalds. Lots of good Mex cafes, and a few old rinky dink bars and that's about all of note that I could see.

For someone who's lived in 5 major metro areas, it was like being transported into a sort of 70s Mayberry culture warp. As far as the girl is concerned, I'd say that small town, probably Catholic, if Mexican, mentality down to the ostracizing, would not be out of the realm of possibility from what I gleaned

Oh, when I was 15, I'm pretty sure I was in the 10th grade. :idk:

PhinzN703
03-08-2012, 02:48 PM
She'll be on reality TV in no time

Locke
03-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Yeah, the more I think about it and remember a few years ago I was stuck in a couple of little towns west of Soccoro (sp?) on the Harley during some down pours. I'm guessing the mentality goes hand-in-hand with the appearance? It's hard to leave a mind-set when the minds that would be changing it leave the community.

Probably the same with the town this teen goes to school.

Truth.

Never thought of it that way, but you're right. When the progressive minds leave the town because of archaic thinking, that leaves only those who maintain that way of thinking. It's a never-ending cycle...

cbreeden
03-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Lordsburg!?! Wow. What a dumpy little place to get stuck in. Have stopped there before to get gas on the way to the Springs or coming back home.

The article mentioned Gallup as the girl's home and while I didn't know it was in a native-american reservation I am not surprised. Not exactly what I described earlier but definitely a 'throw back' to old school thinking when pregnant teens were shunned and hidden away.

dreday
03-08-2012, 06:41 PM
15 and preggo? nothing else to see here...

X-Pacolypse
03-08-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm sure MTV will offer her a job on those "Teen Mom" shows.

rob19
03-08-2012, 08:36 PM

More like the 1600's. Wouldn't surprise me if they had a Witch-Hunt next week.