PDA

View Full Version : Too fat to serve: Military wages war on obesity

BAMAPHIN 22
03-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Army recruiter Sgt. Laura Peterson says America's growing waistline is shrinking the pool of those qualified to serve. "I've definitely seen the problem getting worse," she said. "The population has gotten bigger. They don't move as much." Among 17- to 24-year-olds, 27 percent are too overweight for military service. Over the past 50 years, the number of women considered ineligible due to weight has tripled, and the number of men has doubled, officials say.http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57393115/too-fat-to-serve-military-wages-war-on-obesity/?tag=cbsContent;cbsCarousel

Locke
03-08-2012, 01:38 PM
When it costs 99 cents for a 2 liter bottle of generic soda, but 4-5 bucks for a quart of organic juice, this shouldn't surprise anyone. You have to be pretty well-to-do if you want to afford good food. It's depressing...

LouPhinFan
03-08-2012, 02:33 PM
I'll say it again. This is one of the major problems facing this country today. No matter what we do, our healthcare costs will always be out of wack because of it. It doesn't matter if it's an insurance company based system or single payor.

Dolphins9954
03-08-2012, 02:52 PM
5NP8y63Ms4o

Eshlemon
03-08-2012, 04:50 PM
When it costs 99 cents for a 2 liter bottle of generic soda, but 4-5 bucks for a quart of organic juice, this shouldn't surprise anyone. You have to be pretty well-to-do if you want to afford good food. It's depressing...

"They don't move as much"

Anyone can afford excercise.

armyphin
03-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Fatty needs to step away from the xbox.

X-Pacolypse
03-08-2012, 09:48 PM

I go to Fresh and Easy, and it costs about two bucks for a quart of multi-vitamin orange juice. Anyways, I don't disagree with your point. That said, people are just too lazy to get off their rearends and exercise. Not only that, people are also too lazy to look up how many calories they should be taking in according to their respectives heights.

LouPhinFan
03-08-2012, 10:26 PM
It's a combination of the 2. People don't exercise and processed, fatty foods are cheaper than good food, organic or not.

ROADRUNNER
03-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Not true im in.............http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/03/FatSoldierNeedsToLoseWeight-1.jpg

Tunaphish429
03-13-2012, 12:42 PM
This is why kids should be taught more about nutrition in school...Kids should be taught to cook in school and be taught what things are good for them... But when kids are fed pink slime what should we expect? Yes kids should excercise but its not always easy to find the time to do it...If a kid is in an urban setting and his parents are busy how is he suppose to play and get excersise? Realistically kids that are around 10 need to be with a parent or an adult to play get excerise, and you know how much time single parents have.

Gonzo
03-13-2012, 12:52 PM
When it costs 99 cents for a 2 liter bottle of generic soda, but 4-5 bucks for a quart of organic juice, this shouldn't surprise anyone. You have to be pretty well-to-do if you want to afford good food. It's depressing...I'm doing alright with water and the occasional soda. It's about moderation, regardless of what you're eating. Drinking 5 cans of soda or 5 bottles of juice every day will have the same overall effect because they're both loaded with sugar (natural and unnatural). Laziness is also a key factor. It's a hell of a lot easier to buy a bucket of fried chicken or a X-large pizza for the family than it is to spend an hour (or less) cooking a decent meal. How are you supposed to keep up with Two and a Half Men and Last Man Standing if you need to spend time cooking something?

Also note that this study came after the release of Skyrim. I imagine it will be even worse in a couple of months once the Mass Effect 3 weight gain can be considered.

Dogbone34
03-13-2012, 04:23 PM
never been too fat for the military but I have been too drunk to bowl

Eshlemon
03-15-2012, 04:07 PM
This is why kids should be taught more about nutrition in school...Kids should be taught to cook in school and be taught what things are good for them... But when kids are fed pink slime what should we expect? Yes kids should excercise but its not always easy to find the time to do it...If a kid is in an urban setting and his parents are busy how is he suppose to play and get excersise? Realistically kids that are around 10 need to be with a parent or an adult to play get excerise, and you know how much time single parents have.

Diet matter but some of the less obese areas with higher physical activity are urban. The least obese state is Colorado, the state that has the highest physical activity, the most obese is Mississippi also with the least physical activity.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

http://www.obesityhelpblog.com/2011/02/which-state-exercises-the-most/

Seems most the least active are are in the south and deep south, which I think have the highest heat index's..."it's to damn heat and humid to be outside". How many have had visits from friends, business, etc. from other regions how the hell can you stand it. Unfortunately many don't...especially ones that are moving into the fastest growing region in the south from others and with the huge explosion in air conditioning over the last 20-30 years.

Dolphins9954
03-15-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm doing alright with water and the occasional soda. It's about moderation, regardless of what you're eating. Drinking 5 cans of soda or 5 bottles of juice every day will have the same overall effect because they're both loaded with sugar (natural and unnatural). Laziness is also a key factor. It's a hell of a lot easier to buy a bucket of fried chicken or a X-large pizza for the family than it is to spend an hour (or less) cooking a decent meal. How are you supposed to keep up with Two and a Half Men and Last Man Standing if you need to spend time cooking something?

Also note that this study came after the release of Skyrim. I imagine it will be even worse in a couple of months once the Mass Effect 3 weight gain can be considered.

I love fried chicken.

Gonzo
03-15-2012, 04:57 PM
I love fried chicken.Me too, and there's an awesome place on my walk home that tempts me every day. The thing is, I don't give into that temptation everyday. It's usually a reward for finishing a project, doing well on an exam, etc. I also love ice cream cake, Choco Tacos, and NY pizza, which I'm surrounded by. Still not a fatty.

Dolphins9954
03-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Me too, and there's an awesome place on my walk home that tempts me every day. The thing is, I don't give into that temptation everyday. It's usually a reward for finishing a project, doing well on an exam, etc. I also love ice cream cake, Choco Tacos, and NY pizza, which I'm surrounded by. Still not a fatty.

Discipline and Moderation is all it is. Unfortunately too many lack it.