PDA

View Full Version : has any team ever drafted a RT in the top 8, ever?

fakespike
03-10-2012, 05:10 AM
im not remembering an instance where a tackle was taken this high and targeted at the right side due to having an all pro franchise LT on that team. im not saying im completely against the idea (only if we get Manning though), as a truly dominating O-line can make an offense lethal (see The Hogs, 80's 49ers, 90's Cowboys). from most accounts, it seems decastro is a surer thing than rieff.

Conuficus
03-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Arizona took Levi Brown from PSU, and he was never going to be a LT. Buffalo took Mike Williams from Texas at #3 IIRC as well. It has happened but it hasn't turned out well all that often.

NorFlaFin
03-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Arizona = Levi Brown

St. Louis = Alex Barron (later)

RT in the first round is a waste

PSU Cane
03-10-2012, 12:24 PM
RT in the top 10 a few years ago would have been a waste, but with the new rookie cap, it's not anymore b/c the salaries are more reasonable. You aren't just drafting a RT. You are drafting a guy you think could be a LT eventually but will play him at RT for now while Big Jake is on the left side. Down the road if Jake struggles with injuries and/or becomes too expensive, then you have options.

My tackle choice is Jonathan Martin. But if i go oline at #8, i'm going DeCastro.

phinfan33
03-10-2012, 12:32 PM
RT in the top 10 a few years ago would have been a waste, but with the new rookie cap, it's not anymore b/c the salaries are more reasonable. You aren't just drafting a RT. You are drafting a guy you think could be a LT eventually but will play him at RT for now while Big Jake is on the left side. Down the road if Jake struggles with injuries and/or becomes too expensive, then you have options.

My tackle choice is Jonathan Martin. But if i go oline at #8, i'm going DeCastro.This^

ChambersWI
03-10-2012, 01:21 PM
some have, but unintentionally.

Levi Brown was actually drafted to play LT, was moved to RT because Leinart was a lefty, stayed there for a few years, and moved back to LT this year.

Jason Smith and Mike Williams were 2nd and 3rd overall picks, but both ended up as RTs

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2012, 01:32 PM
some have, but unintentionally.

Levi Brown was actually drafted to play LT, was moved to RT because Leinart was a lefty, stayed there for a few years, and moved back to LT this year.

Jason Smith and Mike Williams were 2nd and 3rd overall picks, but both ended up as RTs

Absolutely. Teams typically aren't drafting right tackles in the top 10 with the intent that their upside is that of a right tackle. They're drafting them as a worst case scenario right tackle.

TheWalrus
03-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Jason Smith was a RT at Baylor but was projected to the left side when he was picked #2 overall, but that experiment ended when the Rams got Rodger Saffold at the top of the 2nd the next year and he ended up being a better player. Smith has pretty much been a RT only, and only a mediocre one at that.

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2012, 02:19 PM
No, Jason Smith was a left tackle for Baylor. He played from a 2-point stance like most spread offensive lineman do, which is why he was more of a project. His incredible athletic ability and upside was that of an elite NFL left tackle if he ever reached his ceiling.

He played RT early in his career after being moved from TE. He was essentially a much better version of Joe Toledo as a prospect. Sometimes great talents just don't materialize for a myriad of reasons.

NorFlaFin
03-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Jason Smith has some very severe concussion problems, would not be surprised if he retires before his brain turns to mush.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5218/jason-smith (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5218/jason-smith)

Kistner10
03-11-2012, 12:45 AM
It's a whole different draft process now then it use to be though. Like someone mentioned earlier, the rookie wage scale makes it that picking a RT in the top 10 isn't a waste anymore. In the old process you would never pay a RT that kind of money, so drafting one that early was crazy. Now it makes sense if you need one, like we do.

2413fanphins
03-11-2012, 12:04 PM
anthony davis from rutgers was selected by the 49ers at I believe 11 and plays RT.... I know it doesnt meet your #8 criteria, but it's pretty close... than followed that up with an OG pick...

can you imagine the dolphins fan base if we drafted back to back Ol!!!???

Phinfan31
03-14-2012, 02:45 PM
lol it depends...if we get Peyton Manning then I would understand it...we gotta protect his ***!!!

Since we traded Brandon Marshall we HAVE to address WR too...or people will freak out