PDA

View Full Version : My Top Ten Tight Ends

ckparrothead
03-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Here are my top ten Tight Ends.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1100360-ranking-the-2012-nfl-drafts-top-10-tight-ends

Not exactly the list you'll find from other guys.

finsfanjay13
03-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Looks like a nice list of potential sleepers there. Good work. I'm sure somebody will question Charles sitting at #8, but I have no qualms with it. My top two has always been Fleener and Allen and if I can't get them, I'll have no issues waiting until the 4th to pick one up.

ckparrothead
03-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Before Orson Charles ever set foot at the Combine, before he had his disastrous Pro Day, before he got pinched for DUI...I was questioning how this guy who is the same size as D.J. Williams but was never the college football player Williams was, is supposed to go significantly higher than the 5th round where Williams went last year.

That's what I saw on tape, a tiny player without the kind of speed he's purported to have, trying to play on the line and getting too much credit for it just because he plays in the SEC. He does not look especially interesting in his run after catch. He looked physically out-matched by guys that would rate as miniature linebackers in the NFL. His speed was always overrated because he's small and moves well on his feet getting off the line of scrimmage. I openly questioned his mentality based on the way he declared as well as the attitude I saw at the Combine. I was unsurprised by the bad Pro Day, and equally unsurprised by the DUI.

finsfanjay13
03-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Before Orson Charles ever set foot at the Combine, before he had his disastrous Pro Day, before he got pinched for DUI...I was questioning how this guy who is the same size as D.J. Williams but was never the college football player Williams was, is supposed to go significantly higher than the 5th round where Williams went last year.

That's what I saw on tape, a tiny player without the kind of speed he's purported to have, trying to play on the line and getting too much credit for it just because he plays in the SEC. He does not look especially interesting in his run after catch. He looked physically out-matched by guys that would rate as miniature linebackers in the NFL. His speed was always overrated because he's small and moves well on his feet getting off the line of scrimmage. I openly questioned his mentality based on the way he declared as well as the attitude I saw at the Combine. I was unsurprised by the bad Pro Day, and equally unsurprised by the DUI.

I'm with ya, don't worry. My comment was more around how high some people were on him around these parts.

TedSlimmJr
03-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Good list there. Our top 3 are the same.

Brad Herman is also one of Slimm's Gems and a kid that would've made an interesting combine invite over some of the others. He has terrific upside both as a blocker and as a pass catcher.... probably more as a pass catcher. You usually don't see Iowa splitting their TE's out in the slot much unless O'Keefe feels like he has certain qualities as a route runner and pass catcher. They've used Herman in this role although he didn't see much playing time for some reason.

Definitely worth a late round pick with some upside as a developmental tight end.

Peterson and Dunsmore are two guys I have a seperate list with guys like Brad Smelley, Nick Provo, Evan Rodriguez, etc. who are limited to playing H-Back in the NFL.

I like Josh Chichester where you have Chase Ford.

ckparrothead
03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
I like Josh Chichester a lot and I think we've talked about him before. The thing that Chichester needs to cure in order to get on my top 10 list is his attitude. He's a "me" player who blames everyone else for his lack of production. I have this from people that have had direct dealings with him. He's got potential and he showed it with a BLOWOUT pro day, and I really wanted to rate him on this list. But, he does notch some of the same concerns I have about Ladarius Green as being more of a wide receiver trying to play tight end and not being physical enough or enough of a football performer, except on top of all that he adds the bad attitude I've heard about privately from people that had dealings with him. That's enough that I didn't rate him in my top ten, but he was just outside it along with Brian Linthicum.

TedSlimmJr
03-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Attitude and character issues (among other things) are why I've never really thought much of Linthicum.

ckparrothead
03-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Interesting. Was not aware he had those issues.

rob19
03-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Tight End (Mike Mayok)

1. Orson Charles, Georgia
2. Coby Fleener, Stanford
3. Dwayne Allen, Clemson
4. Deangelo Peterson, LSU
5. Ladarius Green, Louisiana-Lafayette

This might be his this years version of McCoy/ Suh.

Still love ya Mike.

justdev7
03-14-2012, 03:26 AM
Egnew! Egnew! Egnew! I love the guy. Obviously Fleener is the top prize at TE but I don't think Egnew is as far behind him as most people do.

SMadison29
03-14-2012, 11:24 AM
TE is just one of those positions that depends so much on how a team uses them the last few draft classes will atest to that. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

finfan54
03-16-2012, 11:21 PM
good stuff ck. watch us end up with a trade w/ GB for one of theirs. maybe next years #3 from marshall.

ckparrothead
03-17-2012, 12:48 AM
The great thing about Fleener to me is he's a complete Tight End. He doesn't get near enough credit for his blocking.

utahphinsfan
03-17-2012, 01:44 PM
I'd prefer Fleener but Egnew, DeAngelo, or Dunsmore would be nice. It won't suprise me to see Miami double at TE in the draft.

After all, Look at GB's roster.