PDA

View Full Version : It's un-American to silence Limbaugh?

BAMAPHIN 22
03-12-2012, 11:29 AM
The First Amendment stands for principles like that espoused by the Supreme Court in West Virginia v. Barnette: "Of there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein."Rush Limbaugh has a right to his views. Just as important, his fans have a right to hear him. Those of us who disagree with him have a right to fight him, but we must do so on our own. Using the government to support our view is constitutionally intolerable. Trying to bully him off the air is wrong. http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/12/opinion/randazza-limbaugh-speech/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Locke
03-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Agreed. As much as I wish Limbaugh would die horribly and painfully, the constitution says he can say whatever he wants without fear of government persecution. That doesn't mean all his sponsors can't pull his finding, which is happening...

ohall
03-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Agreed. As much as I wish Limbaugh would die horribly and painfully, the constitution says he can say whatever he wants without fear of government persecution. That doesn't mean all his sponsors can't pull his finding, which is happening...

Really?

Locke
03-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Really?

Yes, really. The man makes a living by manufacturing hate and conflict. He is the worst kind of person. I don't know him personally, so I can't call him evil, but he may be the closest thing to it that we have in the media...

Gonzo
03-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Those he offends have a right to protest under the same amendment. Further, his sponsors have a right to pull their ads as a result, that's just simple capitalism. That's how this system works and it requires no government involvement outside ensuring the safety of those involved. The author is right, the government has no place in this whatsoever.

ohall
03-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Yes, really. The man makes a living by manufacturing hate and conflict. He is the worst kind of person. I don't know him personally, so I can't call him evil, but he may be the closest thing to it that we have in the media...

If that's how you really feel, then you need to have deep look into your soul dude. Very sad. I'm always amazed just how so many ppl on the left are so tight and rigid in their thoughts, when their mind set should be the opposite. Interesting to say the least.

Locke
03-12-2012, 12:17 PM
If that's how you really feel, then you need to have deep look into your soul dude. Very sad. I'm always amazed just how so many ppl on the left are so tight and rigid in their thoughts, when their mind set should be the opposite. Interesting to say the least.

How you came to that conclusion is beyond me. You'll see what you want to see I guess...

Spesh
03-12-2012, 12:29 PM

And this is exactly the sort of logic that Limbaugh expresses. Locke, and others(myself included), are suggesting Limbaugh is a nasty human being because he constantly insults others, expresses hateful opinions, reinforces sterotypes, bashes anyone and everyone simply because they are ideologically different, and attacks others for doing exactly the same thing he does. Its the most vile form of entertainment and he indulges himself completely with it.

Ask yourself this: do you think Limbaugh would say he hoped Locke would die, despite never speaking to him or knowing a single thing about him, simply because he is "on the left"? Of course he would express that opinion, publically and repeatedly. And yet, others who have listened to him for years and see just how miserable this man is are the ones who should "search their soul" because we wouldnt have a problem with him ceasing to exist?

But for the record, i do believe he should be allowed to speak and not be censored. Just like i should have the right to publically complain and rage against him as well. All people have to do to censor him and still remain constitutional is not listen to him. Its that simple.

Dogbone34
03-12-2012, 12:31 PM
it's just entertainment. no different than any other tv/radio show.

it's not like he's some sort of radical community organizer.

Eshlemon
03-12-2012, 05:42 PM
If you don't stand up for Limbaugh's liberty today, someone may come for yours tomorrow. Discredit him, but don't silence him.

The articles author phrased this perfectly.

ohall
03-12-2012, 06:02 PM
And this is exactly the sort of logic that Limbaugh expresses. Locke, and others(myself included), are suggesting Limbaugh is a nasty human being because he constantly insults others, expresses hateful opinions, reinforces sterotypes, bashes anyone and everyone simply because they are ideologically different, and attacks others for doing exactly the same thing he does. Its the most vile form of entertainment and he indulges himself completely with it.

Ask yourself this: do you think Limbaugh would say he hoped Locke would die, despite never speaking to him or knowing a single thing about him, simply because he is "on the left"? Of course he would express that opinion, publically and repeatedly. And yet, others who have listened to him for years and see just how miserable this man is are the ones who should "search their soul" because we wouldnt have a problem with him ceasing to exist?

But for the record, i do believe he should be allowed to speak and not be censored. Just like i should have the right to publically complain and rage against him as well. All people have to do to censor him and still remain constitutional is not listen to him. Its that simple.

And Locke proved that POV in spades. It's hypocritical for someone who is a LIB to express these thoughts in a public way. Same as it is for a bible thumping CON to have affair(s) outside of their marriage while publicly denouncing this behavior in others.

Wishing for someones death, is disgusting. Not sure I'd defend that line of thinking, but have at it.

ohall
03-12-2012, 06:04 PM
How you came to that conclusion is beyond me. You'll see what you want to see I guess...

Your opinion was irrational, emotional to the enth degree and IMO is a sign of deeper issues. For someone to have that type of feelings for someone that plays no role in their life is beyond scary to me.

But if Rush is your boogey man, so be it. Check under your bed before you go to sleep, he may live there!

Again this is assuming, you were serious, and you really wish the man was dead.

Locke
03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
And Locke proved that POV in spades. It's hypocritical for some who is a LIB to express these thoughts in a public way. Same as it is for a bible thumping CON to have affairs outside of their marriage.

Wishing for someones death, is disgusting. Not sure I'd defend that line of thinking, but have at it.

I'm sure you were beside yourself in grief when Bin Laden was killed, right? I mean, being the self-righteous defender of life you are, you'd be a hypocrite if you were anything but livid that we killed the man instead of bringing him in to go through due process...

ohall
03-12-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm sure you were beside yourself in grief when Bin Laden was killed, right? I mean, being the self-righteous defender of life you are, you'd be a hypocrite if you were anything but livid that we killed the man instead of bringing him in to go through due process...

lol UBL = Rush, dude, stop making my point!

Your post at minimum was a true insight into your hypocrisy. The moral comparison you are making is disturbing, beyond disturbing.

FYI you have no clue what my stance is on the right for life. Also, I rarely listen to Rush, as in, maybe 12 times a year. Only because I'm tired of listening to music, and no one else is on. The dude, is a prick IMO. What I like about him however, anyone with a brain knows he knows he is, and he plays off that persona. God I hope that isn't news to you!

If I listen to talk radio, I'm either listening to sports or to Hannity.

Locke
03-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Your opinion was irrational, emotional to the enth degree and IMO is a sign of deeper issues. For someone to have that type of feelings for someone that plays no role in their life is beyond scary to me.

But if Rush is your boogey man, so be it. Check under your bed before you go to sleep, he may live there!

Again this is assuming, you were serious, and you really wish the man was dead.

:lol:

A sign of deeper issues? You're talking to a PhD candidate, a little over a year away from having a PhD and Masters in clinical psychology. Trying to employ some pseudo-psychotherapy on a message board is absurd in general, but even more so on someone in the field. I'm literally laughing at this post, it's that ridiculous...

CedarPhin
03-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Stop making this a personal debate. You know who you are.

JamesBW43
03-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Limbaugh isn't being silenced, but I do think there's something to be said about us being too PC from time to time.

Not sure if I think this incident falls under one of those times though :ponder:

Locke
03-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Limbaugh isn't being silenced, but I do think there's something to be said about us being too PC from time to time.

Not sure if I think this incident falls under one of those times though :ponder:

I agree completely. However, I do think there is a difference between saying something that isn't politically correct, and what Rush does...

NY8123
03-12-2012, 10:28 PM
I'd rather see Rush relegated to the depths of irrelevance and stew in a wallow of self pity and silence until he finally realizes that he is a condescending ******* of epic proportions.

jared81
03-12-2012, 11:22 PM

so i assume you feel the same way about people like al sharpton on the left?

Locke
03-12-2012, 11:24 PM
so i assume you feel the same way about people like al sharpton on the left?

Anyone who makes a living off of manufacturing hate and conflict falls into the same category. Al Sharpton might be a tool, but I wouldn't say he makes a living off of making people hate each other. You show me anyone, left, right, or moderate, that does that and I'll say the exact same thing. This isn't a partisan thing, it's a being a respectable person thing...

jared81
03-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Anyone who makes a living off of manufacturing hate and conflict falls into the same category. Al Sharpton might be a tool, but I wouldn't say he makes a living off of making people hate each other. You show me anyone, left, right, or moderate, that does that and I'll say the exact same thing. This isn't a partisan thing, it's a being a respectable person thing...

it shouldnt be an issue. but i believe we can look at the duke lacrosse case, he has yet to apoligized and made those boys out to be racist. the tawana brawley case. he has also made many racist comments regarding jews, whites and gays. any wiki search will show you the comments hes made.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Sharpton

i just want you to be clearer, that your anger isnt because rush is a republican (i am not calling him a conservative, because he is not). rush only appears to be more hateful, because he has a much bigger platform that al sharpton, but they are both the same and if you cant see that, then i think you are misguided.

tylerdolphin
03-12-2012, 11:51 PM
For someone to have that type of feelings for someone that plays no role in their life is beyond scary to me.

I think the reason he inspires so much hatred is the fact that he does play a role in our live because idiots listen to Limbaugh, eat up the ****, then go and vote.

Locke
03-13-2012, 01:03 AM
it shouldnt be an issue. but i believe we can look at the duke lacrosse case, he has yet to apoligized and made those boys out to be racist. the tawana brawley case. he has also made many racist comments regarding jews, whites and gays. any wiki search will show you the comments hes made.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Sharpton

i just want you to be clearer, that your anger isnt because rush is a republican (i am not calling him a conservative, because he is not). rush only appears to be more hateful, because he has a much bigger platform that al sharpton, but they are both the same and if you cant see that, then i think you are misguided.

No, it has nothing to do with him being Republican. He is just the most out-spoken and listened-to hate-mongerer around since Beck got fired from Fox, so he gets all the attention. Anyone who does the same thing as him gets the exact same reaction from me...

NY8123
03-13-2012, 08:17 AM
I think the reason he inspires so much hatred is the fact that he does play a role in our live because idiots listen to Limbaugh, eat up the ****, then go and vote.

He is a shortsighted Hypocrite.

Dogbone34
03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
ban all the outspoken people (sarcasm)

warnings from the left wing regarding hypocrisy and hate is laughable

most have seen this movie a few times. it's nothing but political.

Locke
03-13-2012, 12:29 PM
ban all the outspoken people (sarcasm)

warnings from the left wing regarding hypocrisy and hate is laughable

most have seen this movie a few times. it's nothing but political.

Outspoken is one thing, hate-mongering is another. I don't know why you brought up the left, seeing as I've already specified the issue isn't a partisan one, but a human decency one...

Spesh
03-13-2012, 12:58 PM
And Locke proved that POV in spades. It's hypocritical for someone who is a LIB to express these thoughts in a public way. Same as it is for a bible thumping CON to have affair(s) outside of their marriage while publicly denouncing this behavior in others.

Others seem to have jumped on here and clarified the point i was making. It wasnt a right or left wing thing, it was being disgusted by a individual who spewed hateful rhetoric. This case just so happened to be Limbaugh, who himself would have no problem wishing for the death of someone. But in Limbaugh's case, it would be because they had different opinions than his own not because they were provably nasty creatures.

As for wishing for the death of someone, i find it fascinating that people focus on the emotion instead of the cause. Despite acknowledging their right to free speech, if members of the KKK were to get run over in the middle of their rally i would not be upset in the least. When Bin Laden was killed, i cheered. That doesnt make me a bad person, that simply makes me human.
As for Limbaugh, he contributes nothing to society other then provoking anger, hatred and, in many cases, intolerance. Wishing for that person to not be alive isnt necessarily a bad thing. It only becomes a problem if you attempt to act on it. Experiencing anger and rage in of itself is not bad, it can be extremely healthy....so long as you dont let it control you. Repressing such emotions is what often gets people in trouble.

Oh, and for the record, i am without a doubt a individual with deeper issues. TONS. A therapist would probably throw the DSM manual at my face while leaping out the nearest window. Sadly, feeling anger at someone who regularly attempts to incite rage and hatred against others while discriminating against even more is not one of my issues. I find it more telling that there are people out there that have little problem with the qualities that Limbaugh expresses.

ohall
03-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Others seem to have jumped on here and clarified the point i was making. It wasnt a right or left wing thing, it was being disgusted by a individual who spewed hateful rhetoric. This case just so happened to be Limbaugh, who himself would have no problem wishing for the death of someone. But in Limbaugh's case, it would be because they had different opinions than his own not because they were provably nasty creatures.

As for wishing for the death of someone, i find it fascinating that people focus on the emotion instead of the cause. Despite acknowledging their right to free speech, if members of the KKK were to get run over in the middle of their rally i would not be upset in the least. When Bin Laden was killed, i cheered. That doesnt make me a bad person, that simply makes me human.
As for Limbaugh, he contributes nothing to society other then provoking anger, hatred and, in many cases, intolerance. Wishing for that person to not be alive isnt necessarily a bad thing. It only becomes a problem if you attempt to act on it. Experiencing anger and rage in of itself is not bad, it can be extremely healthy....so long as you dont let it control you. Repressing such emotions is what often gets people in trouble.

Oh, and for the record, i am without a doubt a individual with deeper issues. TONS. A therapist would probably throw the DSM manual at my face while leaping out the nearest window. Sadly, feeling anger at someone who regularly attempts to incite rage and hatred against others while discriminating against even more is not one of my issues. I find it more telling that there are people out there that have little problem with the qualities that Limbaugh expresses.

Wishing death upon a radio show host is way beyond over the top. If you feel that type of over the top reaction deserves to be defended, more power to you friend.

Locke
03-13-2012, 01:18 PM

Someone who is able to make the distinction. I knew there were reasonable people around here...

Spesh
03-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Wishing death upon a radio show host is way beyond over the top. If you feel that type of over the top reaction deserves to be defended, more power to you friend.

Again, so long as its not acted on: go to town, have a blast with it. Now if youll excuse me, im going to continue wishing for Rick Santorum to fall into a lake of acid.

ohall
03-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Someone who is able to make the distinction. I knew there were reasonable people around here...

No, that's a rationalization.

I'm not saying you can't say it, I'm saying it is at minimum inappropriate and sociably unacceptable. It gives someone reading that opinion a feeling that person is not thinking rationally, but thinking emotionally. Most times when ppl do inappropriate things they act on emotion, not on logic. Let's put it this way, if you were to replace the name Rush with Obama, you may get a visit from the secret service.

It's also what is very very wrong with any political debate in this country. Too many on the left seem very comfortable jumping over the line, and when someone on the right tips their toe slightly over that line ppl like you want them to be removed forever.

ohall
03-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Again, so long as its not acted on: go to town, have a blast with it. Now if youll excuse me, im going to continue wishing for Rick Santorum to fall into a lake of acid.

Cannot disagree more. What was said could easily be considered a threat. The point seems simple to me. If you want to be considered a rational and serious person, you may not want to go around calling for ppl to die because they express an opinion. As a LIB it seems a bit hypocritical to want to suppress free speech. I'm always told, LIB's agree with ppl having the ability to express themselves freely? You don't think calling for someone to die simply because they express an opinion contrary to yours is an act at, minimum, of trying to suppress free speech?

If I made a similar comment about a LIB mouth piece, Locke would have gone after me, and gone much further than I did.

Spesh
03-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Cannot disagree more. What was said could easily be considered a threat. The point seems simple to me. If you want to be considered a rational and serious person, you may not want to go around calling for ppl to die because they express an opinion. As a LIB it seems a bit hypocritical to want to suppress free speech. I'm always told, LIB's agree with ppl having the ability to express themselves freely? You don't think calling for someone to die simply because they express an opinion contrary to yours is an act at, minimum, trying to suppress free speech?

If I made a similar comment about a LIB mouth piece, Locke would have gone after me, and gone much further than I did.

Feel free to quote where anyone(regardless of previously stated, or obvious, political position) in this thread supported the suppression of free speech. Please, by all means.

You continue to make this a partisan argument. You continue to try and paint this as a "liberal attack against a conservative just because he is outspoken". And yet, it has been stated over and over again that the expression of ideas isnt wrong, its the hate mongering and sterotypical intolerance spreading that is the problem. Its the over the top personal attacks against individuals that he doesnt know just because they might(or might not) support something that he himself doesnt. Its the fact that he cant just simply disagree with someone or something, instead he has to attempt to verbally abuse them as much as possible in the most offensive ways possible.
And guess what, even despite all that: i still support his right to say those things. I dont like it, so i wont listen to it and i hope everyone else doesnt listen to it either. But i do not support people running to the FCC to censor his show.

But again, when the only thing he contributes to society is hate mongering, i personally would have no problem with him not being alive. And it wouldnt matter if he was conservative or liberal. I have no idea what the political opinions are of individual members of the KKK(though i could guess), but i still wouldnt mourn the deaths of them even if they supported the same things i do. Why? Because they do so in a way that is digusting and malevolent. It is perfectly healthy to get angry about spiteful intolerance, so long as you dont act on that anger.
Ironic that you are calling people out for attempting to suppress free speech(while ignoring the fact that no one has tried to do that), but you are trying to get others to suppress theirs.

Edit: and if you were saying my wishes towards Rick Santorum are considered a threat, let me assure you that my application into the Legion of Doom hasnt been accepted(yet), so i do not have the resources for a lake of acid. Social Conservative in America is still safe.

ohall
03-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Feel free to quote where anyone(regardless of previously stated, or obvious, political position) in this thread supported the suppression of free speech. Please, by all means.

You continue to make this a partisan argument. You continue to try and paint this as a "liberal attack against a conservative just because he is outspoken". And yet, it has been stated over and over again that the expression of ideas isnt wrong, its the hate mongering and sterotypical intolerance spreading that is the problem. Its the over the top personal attacks against individuals that he doesnt know just because they might(or might not) support something that he himself doesnt. Its the fact that he cant just simply disagree with someone or something, instead he has to attempt to verbally abuse them as much as possible in the most offensive ways possible.
And guess what, even despite all that: i still support his right to say those things. I dont like it, so i wont listen to it and i hope everyone else doesnt listen to it either. But i do not support people running to the FCC to censor his show.

But again, when the only thing he contributes to society is hate mongering, i personally would have no problem with him not being alive. And it wouldnt matter if he was conservative or liberal. I have no idea what the political opinions are of individual members of the KKK(though i could guess), but i still wouldnt mourn the deaths of them even if they supported the same things i do. Why? Because they do so in a way that is digusting and malevolent.
Ironic that you are calling people out for attempting to suppress free speech(while ignoring the fact that no one has tried to do that), but you are trying to get others to suppress theirs.

For goodness sakes man, this is partisan, he made it partisan. Didn't you read his comments? Stop spinning.

It was uncalled for, and inappropriate, and a host of other things. Whether it's posted on a MBoard or not, none of us should expect or accept such a post. It was disgusting. If he mentioned a LIB mouth piece I would have said and felt the same thing, I doubt he would take anyone here saying what he said about a LIB mouth piece.

Spesh
03-13-2012, 02:44 PM
For goodness sakes man, this is partisan, he made it partisan. Didn't you read his comments? Stop spinning.

It was uncalled for, and inappropriate, and a host of other things. Whether it's posted on a MBoard or not, none of us should expect or accept such a post. It was disgusting. If he mentioned a LIB mouth piece I would have said and felt the same thing, I doubt he would take anyone here saying what he said about a LIB mouth piece.

Argument clarified:

And one of my own posts:

It wasnt a right or left wing thing, it was being disgusted by a individual who spewed hateful rhetoric. This case just so happened to be Limbaugh, who himself would have no problem wishing for the death of someone.

Again, feel free to show where anyone in this thread is attempting to suppress free speech. Also feel free to show how i am "spinning" it by pointing out where i said only conservative talk show hosts are the ones who im wishing would die.

ohall
03-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Argument clarified:

And one of my own posts:

Again, feel free to show where anyone in this thread is attempting to suppress free speech. Also feel free to show how i am "spinning" it by pointing out where i said only conservative talk show hosts are the ones who im wishing would die.

He wants Rush dead, if he's dead he can't talk...

I'm not sure why you are having such a problem understanding. I don't buy into his double talk.

Spesh
03-13-2012, 02:58 PM
He wants Rush dead, if he's dead he can't talk...

I'm not sure why you are having such a problem understanding. I don't buy into his double talk.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit again: sorry, your post cracked me up. My god man, youve stumbled across a not-assassination attempt! Locke, with his history of being raised by the not-mafia, knows that dead men tell no tales. As a loyal Rush Limbaugh listener, not to mention valiant defender of free speech, be ready to throw yourself in the way of a not-bullet before it hits the only man alive who has the courage of conviction to tell the public how situations really are!
How the situation really is somehow involves sluts and prostitutes.

Locke
03-13-2012, 03:52 PM
:lol:

This is better than daytime TV. I get back to the office and it looks I've been accused of an assassination attempt, partisan attacks, and the suppression of free speech. Also mentioned, lakes of acid and the legion of doom. Absolutely brilliant...

CedarPhin
03-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Ohall needs that badge junc has.