PDA

View Full Version : Why I would take Tannehill at 8 and pass on Flynn and Manning

JRoX85
03-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Ryan is the prototypical qb of the future. Great at avoiding the rush and getting out of the pocket, can make plays with his feet not just his arm, very nice quick release, powerful arm, can learn systems as transitioning from WR to QB in 1 yr proves this.
Downsides: needs to improve on deep ball and not locking on

Flynn imo is AJ Feeley 2.0, kid had a couple of good games "A COUPLE" and people are starting to think he is the best thing since sliced bread. Is anyone looking at the D's he had those games against? If he was that good he would have been battling Rogers for the 1 spot but he wasn't. He will be demanding all kinds of money for proving in two games that he can throw screens. Also he has a noodle arm.
Upsides: Worked with Philbin and looks to be accurate on short throws

Manning 91MIL for a 36 yr old QB with neck injuries.. Really people you are willing to give up the idea of building through the draft for a QB who maybe has 2 years of decent play in him IF HE STAYS HEALTHY. From an owners standpoint it is not worth the risk.

Teams that win SB's build through Drafts "Pit, NE, NYG, GB" and they are very competitive year after year. If we kept doing what we did we will continue being just like the Redskins signing old out of prime players to giant contracts in hopes of winning a SB but by seasons end being mediocre to crappy at best.

I am all for the way we are doing things right now, it gets me excited knowing we are trying to stockpile draft picks rather than trade them away with hopes of winning 1SB followed by nothing a la the 97 Marlins.

andyahs
03-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Flynn is nothing like AJ Feeley or Colb at all and why people insist on that is ridiculous.

Nublar7
03-14-2012, 08:36 PM
I am not sure if Tannehill gets past #4.

Kthurmus23
03-14-2012, 08:38 PM
I too would prefer Tannehill doesnt mean I am down on Flynn just like Ryan more. That being said if you pass on Flynn and miss on Manning big risk on not getting Tannehill, then Miami will be in full meltdown mode. Also with BM gone makes for a big extra hole and that 1st rounder cold be used elsewhere so Flynn almost makes more sense at this point. Going to be an interesting next few months see where things go from here.

hooshoops
03-14-2012, 08:38 PM
and when on draft day someone trumps you or say cleveland takes him at #4 then what??? you're sol thats what...everybody and their mother if we don't get flynn now knows that miami is after tannehill in the draft and wouldn't surprise me if cleveland beat us to it or some other team comes out of the woodwork and trades with the jags to get in front of us for him...and then your royally screwed

BostonPhin4
03-14-2012, 08:42 PM
I am not sure if Tannehill gets past #4.

This is what i am increasingly afraid of. Flynn has succeeded in two nfl games, but with a lack of a college career I think he might be even less proven than Tannehill.

At this point with Manning out of the question Tannehill is absolutely my choice. I just fear that since no one (including us) seems particularly sold on Flynn that Tannehill will catch someones eye and be gone before we get the chance to pick him. Good size, great mobility, and clearly a great team guy to play WR instead of transferring to another school to get his starting job sooner.

buttonwood
03-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Tannehill is a project, not a 1st round pick. If we wouldnt take mallet last year in the 2 nd why would we even consider tannehill before the third round?

buttonwood
03-14-2012, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=Nublar7;1064239567]I am not sure if Tannehill gets past #4
Thats sounds crazy to me i dont see him going anywhere close to the top 25 picks

zach attach
03-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Tannehill is a project, not a 1st round pick. If we wouldnt take mallet last year in the 2 nd why would we even consider tannehill before the third round?

This. Hasn't Tannehill only played qb for 2 years? Why is he better than Mallett? Please tell me. I don't see it.
I will say that I'm comfortable with Sherman's coaching of him, and Philbin's coaching of Flynn. So the inside knowledge is great to have.

JRoX85
03-14-2012, 09:07 PM
this draft is loaded with receiver talent, I am not worried about bm being gone..
@andyahs How is he nothing like kolb or feeley?? Both played in high powered offenses that put up massive amounts of points, both had about the same in game experience as flynn all three are of similar size and stature, all three have pretty much the same positives to offer.
@buttonwood Tannehill is nothing like Mallet except arm strength Mallet was unable to avoid rush and could not get out of the pocket to save his life, that is what makes Tannehill a better prospect.

DolfanDuBbZ~
03-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Tannehill's 4 wins in the BIG 12 this past year, qualify him to be a TOP 10 pick. Classic.:crazy:

Valandui
03-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Tannehill has no character issues.

SabanHater
03-14-2012, 09:45 PM
If this is the case we can put the whole "rebuilding" to rest.

SF Dolphin Fan
03-14-2012, 09:52 PM
I love Tannehill as well, but I think we might have to trade up with Minnesota at #3 to get him. Cleveland will pounce if they don't land Flynn.

Kowalski550
03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
If Tannehill was in the same draft class as Ponder, Locker and Gabbert. Would he still be considered first round material?

DolfanDuBbZ~
03-14-2012, 10:06 PM
If Tannehill was in the same draft class as Ponder, Locker and Gabbert. Would he still be considered first round material?

To the posters above you, yes. The chattering class looks at youtube highlights, and don't look at his whole body of work. Tannehill struggled against the top TIER talent in the BIG 12. The last QB taken as a prospect, went on to sign a minor league baseball contract.

buttonwood
03-14-2012, 10:12 PM
I think drafting this kid high is nuts. If he goes to cleveland at 4 its the biggest reach ever, and if we grab him at 8 ill be disgusted.

Shabam88
03-14-2012, 10:14 PM
I will officially die inside if we select Tannehill at 8, however, it would write Ireland's ticket out of here when Tannehill busts as an NFL qb (inevitable) so it may not be too bad.

Vontae21
03-14-2012, 10:22 PM
yup, lets draft a converted wr whos only played qb for 2 years at # 8 overall. over a guy who's actually played when given his opportunity. i would rather have moore or flynn over tannehill

JRoX85
03-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Tannehill's 4 wins in the BIG 12 this past year, qualify him to be a TOP 10 pick. Classic.:crazy:

Peyton's first year as an nfl qb he wins three games and they took him 1 overall classic move their huh???

buttonwood
03-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Peyton's first year as an nfl qb he wins three games and they took him 1 overall classic move their huh???
Yes but he started for four years at tennessee. As a qb. In the sec. See where im going here?