PDA

View Full Version : The case for Stephen Hill

datruth55
03-15-2012, 11:13 AM
If we could somehow drop to the lower 3rd of the first round pick up a few extra picks in the process and draft Stephen Hill as our alpha WR I'd be onboard. I watched some of highlights and some games and the kid is actually a better route runner than I expected. He didn't just run 9 routes all day. He didn't lose speed running in and out of breaks, got separation, uses his hands well, he tracks the ball in the air very well and he sets himself up for YAC after the catch. Couple that with his downfield blocking, a must for a WR in that offense, and I think this kid would be a natural fit for us.

I would rather not trade up for Blackmon and lose multiple picks. I know he's a stud but we need more than just a receiver. I didn't like what I saw from Floyd...spends an awful lot of time on the ground after the catch, not ellusive in the open field and not a very good route runner...not to mention his attitude and off field issues. I didn't like what I saw from Alshon Jeffery either although he's more ellusive in the open field than Floyd is, he can be lazy and I think when he gets his payday he may not put in the effort. I like Kendall Wright a lot but he doesn't have the downfield blocking ability that Hill has and Hill is 6'4" where Wright is 5'10".

DcRy82
03-15-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm hoping Trent Richardson is there at 8 and it makes somebody want to trade up with us. I saw somebody mention the bengals as a possibility and then picking up their 2nd rounder. I think they have the 21st pick. I think there will be a run on DL/OLBs in the first round leaving a lot of skill players available in the 2nd half of the draft. at 21, Hill and Floyd could both be there. I watched a lot of both, and I give the edge to Hill for the same reasons you've mentioned above.

Chubby
03-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I agree I would rather not move up for Blackmon, as it stands we might need to use the #8 to select a QB( Weeden ) 1st then we can start to fill the rest of our holes.

WR,RT,DE.

BostonPhin4
03-15-2012, 07:39 PM
I was thinking about this exact thing today. I think if we end up signing Flynn (which is more likely than not) WR instantly becomes our biggest need. Our defense is already very good and can easily be improved in rounds 2-4. Trade the #8 pick to move back into the mid-late teens, in the process pick up a second rounder. Take Hill with the pick in the teens and focus on defense and RT/OL with our 2 second rounders and 2 third rounders.

MiamiDolphin618
03-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Hill is growing on me quite a bit but I am just not sold on us taking a WR in Round 1. I think if we get Flynn then we are taking a pass rusher...whether that is Coples at 8 or Ingram/Perry/Upshaw in a trade down to the teens. If it were me I would be looking at trying to get 2 WRs and a TE in this draft somewhere.

datruth55
03-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Hill is growing on me quite a bit but I am just not sold on us taking a WR in Round 1. I think if we get Flynn then we are taking a pass rusher...whether that is Coples at 8 or Ingram/Perry/Upshaw in a trade down to the teens. If it were me I would be looking at trying to get 2 WRs and a TE in this draft somewhere.
The TEs in this draft are pretty bad. We just re-signed Mastrud, we have Clay and Fasano...I think those are the 3 we go into the season with and probably address TE in next years draft.

MiamiDolphin618
03-15-2012, 09:18 PM
The TEs in this draft are pretty bad. We just re-signed Mastrud, we have Clay and Fasano...I think those are the 3 we go into the season with and probably address TE in next years draft.
I cant disagree with you here. Fleener is really the only one who I see as a stud...but there are some others with potential that could be late round guys. Masrud is awful. Id like a big red zone threat...but I do think that Clay could find himself in the endzone quite a bit this year (Ive got a good feeling about him)

MiamiMuss
03-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Hill is a interesting prospect but looking as maybe Philbin might coming from the Packers.This team hasnt taken a WR in the 1st round since 2002 in Javon walker who was very good.I am interested as to how Miami looks at this draft.

finfan54
03-15-2012, 10:51 PM
ledarious green is the only one I have interest in. 4th round.

MarSly
03-16-2012, 08:44 AM
I like the Hill pick also..

datruth55
03-16-2012, 09:11 AM
I was rewatching the combine last night, looking at the receivers...Hill was impressive in the drills. He dropped one ball in all the drills, an inside slant route. He was perfect on the gauntlet from both sides, made a great catch on a deep route (tracks the ball extremely well), the quick outs he was sharp on his cut and stayed flat (some of the guys that ran this route which was supposed to be 12 yards and out were 15 or 16 yards down field cause they rounded off their cut).

I'll tell you also suprised me was Hemmingway from Michigan. Big kid, looks overweight to me at just under 6'1" and 225 lbs but he ran 4.50 in his two 40's, caught everything and was really sharp in his route running. And Blackmon dropped a lot of balls...I hadn't paid that much attention to the WRs before but now that we need one I'm going back and looking at them. Out of all those guys at the combine Blackmon and Childs dropped the most balls in the first group. I'll go back and look at the second group tonight.

Elliott 1
03-16-2012, 11:49 AM
We may have to draft QB in the first. Greg Childs in the 3rd round is going to be an extreme value pick IMO.

datruth55
03-16-2012, 12:03 PM
We may have to draft QB in the first. Greg Childs in the 3rd round is going to be an extreme value pick IMO.
Childs looked awful. I wouldn't draft him.

j-off-her-doll
03-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Haven't heard anyone talking about him, and I think he needs work (gets pushed to the sideline too much), but what about Jones from Cal? Right around 6'2, blocks well, very smooth. Looks like a good player to develop in the system.