PDA

View Full Version : Should Your Child Be Spanked at School? In 19 States, It's Legal

BAMAPHIN 22
03-16-2012, 11:22 AM
It is one of the most controversial methods of child discipline, but spanking in school -- usually with a wooden or fiberglass paddle -- is still allowed by law in 19 states. The practice is most prevalent in the Midwest and South. According to a report from the Juvenile Information Exchange, more than 28,500 students in Georgia were spanked in 2008, mostly in rural counties. The number is much smaller in Florida -- around 3,600 last year -- but that's where the issue is getting new attention. For the second year in a row, a Florida lawmaker is trying to ban corporal punishment in schools there; last year the measure never made it to the floor for a full vote. http://abcnews.go.com/US/spanking-school-19-states-corporal-punishment-legal/story?id=15932135

NY8123
03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Should be allowed in all 50 states.

Tunaphish429
03-16-2012, 11:41 AM
No way. Most teachers are dicks. They are mad at the world because they are teachers. They wanted to be something else and failed..

Not you tho Bumpus. Social Studies teachers were always cool

tylerdolphin
03-16-2012, 11:53 AM
I got many a cut ass in primary school. The principal even had a big ass bamboo stick he used to beat us with. Builds character.

Dolphins9954
03-16-2012, 01:17 PM
It should be up to the states and schools. Parents should be able to exempt their kids too.

Locke
03-16-2012, 01:29 PM
The only people who should be allowed to physically handle children are medical professionals and parents. I would be livid if I had a kid and some stranger at their school spanked them. I can honestly say, I'd be in jail because I'd kick the **** out of whomever touched my kid...

Tunaphish429
03-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Most schools teach keeping your hands to yourself. So now if someone is annoing you or does something that you dont like then you suppose to resort to violence?

Not happening, if someone hits you , your gonna hit them back. If an adult hits my child(If I had one) then like Locke said I am gonna hit them back..

Just another way of trying to control ppl....Only authority figures can punish someone by hitting them.. Ok sounds like a great way to build a society.

Dolphins9954
03-16-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm old enough to remember getting spanked in school. 5th grade by my principle for skipping school. He called my mom and she agreed to let me get spanked. He hit me twice with a wood paddle and when I got home my mom beat my ass. I never skipped school again. It's not a big deal really. But I do believe the parents are the ones that have to sign off on this.

Locke
03-16-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm old enough to remember getting spanked in school. 5th grade by my principle for skipping school. He called my mom and she agreed to let me get spanked. He hit me twice with a wood paddle and when I got home my mom beat my ass. I never skipped school again. It's not a big deal really. But I do believe the parents are the ones that have to sign off on this.

I've never been spanked in my life. My parents didn't believe in it. They preferred to reinforce good behaviors and punish others by taking things away like video games, sleepovers, toys, etc. The first time I had to miss my friend's birthday sleepover because I misbehaved, I probably felt as hurt as someone who just got paddled. If/when I have kids, I'll be following the same strategy I think...

Tunaphish429
03-16-2012, 02:05 PM
My father was 6 foot 4...and is a big ass guy...

All he had to do was yell at me and I did the right thing....

My mother had hit me from time to time. .. 2 of the worst times ever was she hit me with a vacuum cleaner cord...hit me in the legs...that **** killed..

Another time when I was about 17 I had just broken my nose playing basketball...anyway...I was eathing Pasta dinner with my mother and I dont konw what she said to me, but I said something back and she slapped me in the nose...Lol

I flipped the **** out..I flung the past all over the kitchen where we were eating..I wanna say that was the last time my mother hit me.

Dolphins9954
03-16-2012, 02:14 PM
I've never been spanked in my life. My parents didn't believe in it. They preferred to reinforce good behaviors and punish others by taking things away like video games, sleepovers, toys, etc. The first time I had to miss my friend's birthday sleepover because I misbehaved, I probably felt as hurt as someone who just got paddled. If/when I have kids, I'll be following the same strategy I think...

If it works for you and eventually your kids that's great and I support it. Unfortunately it doesn't work with all kids and there are some kids that do need to get spanked from time to time. I have 2 kids. My 4 year old daughter is a great kid. She listens to everything I say and never talks back and I've never had to disipline her. My 12 year son is a great kid too for the most part. But I've had to spank him twice in his life. Both times for talking back and being disrespectful to his mom and I. That's the two pet peeves I have. I love my kids tremendously and give them the world. But one rule we have in our house is no talking back or disrespect to your parents or other adults. 99% of the time we do punishment and take things away. But I do reserve the right to spank but only for the worst of offenses.

Locke
03-16-2012, 02:25 PM
If it works for you and eventually your kids that's great and I support it. Unfortunately it doesn't work with all kids and there are some kids that do need to get spanked from time to time. I have 2 kids. My 4 year old daughter is a great kid. She listens to everything I say and never talks back and I've never had to disipline her. My 12 year son is a great kid too for the most part. But I've had to spank him twice in his life. Both times for talking back and being disrespectful to his mom and I. That's the two pet peeves I have. I love my kids tremendously and give them the world. But one rule we have in our house is no talking back or disrespect to your parents or other adults. 99% of the time we do punishment and take things away. But I do reserve the right to spank but only for the worst of offenses.

No doubts about that. I've seen kids that I know if they were mine, I would have spanked the crap out of them for the way they were behaving. The psychologist side of me knows why they behave that way, and that I have a unique insight into how to raise a kid in a way that they won't behave that way. But there is always those variables you can't account for. If my kid needed a spanking, I'd give them one. It would just be a last resort for me, as it seems to have been for you...

Locke
03-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Also, hurry up and get Mass Effect 3. Spesh and I have done a few online sessions already, it's some fun stuff. Nothing more fun than head-butting the crap out of everything that moves with a Krogan...

Dolphins9954
03-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Also, hurry up and get Mass Effect 3. Spesh and I have done a few online sessions already, it's some fun stuff. Nothing more fun than head-butting the crap out of everything that moves with a Krogan...

I plan on it. Just have to do it with out the wifey finding out. She gets mad every time I buy a game. Minecraft comes out on xbox live this weekend. I might have to get that first.

Locke
03-16-2012, 04:15 PM
I plan on it. Just have to do it with out the wifey finding out. She gets mad every time I buy a game. Minecraft comes out on xbox live this weekend. I might have to get that first.

Just be like "Oh wow, where did awesome new game come from? Better not let it go to waste..."

tylerdolphin
03-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Its hard to imagine my early childhood without spankings :lol:.

I was terrified of that belt.

themole
03-20-2012, 09:11 AM
I came through the Florida school system during the 50's & 60's, paddling was as common as recess.

During my Jr. High days, we had a thing going to see who could actually accumulate the most "Licks". The administration got wise to it and countered by using the sole of a size 13, U.S Ked. That hurt!

SpurzN703
03-21-2012, 03:53 PM
The only people who should be allowed to physically handle children are medical professionals and parents. I would be livid if I had a kid and some stranger at their school spanked them. I can honestly say, I'd be in jail because I'd kick the **** out of whomever touched my kid...

I wouldn't want anyone to spank my kids. It would be something my wife and I would do only (not sure I even buy into it).

SpurzN703
03-21-2012, 03:54 PM

Your response to her was "Make me a sammich and shut up", right?

Dolphins9954
03-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Your response to her was "Make me a sammich and shut up", right?

If not getting laid for about a month was my intention.

Locke
03-21-2012, 05:23 PM
If not getting laid for about a month was my intention.

:lol: